PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Mic to Buy????

J-Cee
10-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Am lookin to buy a mic to rap/make songs off my computer at home..what mics would be the best for that?
links aswell?

ClymaX
10-17-2007, 06:20 AM
rode nt-1 and a preamp

J-Cee
10-17-2007, 06:21 AM
also if im recording at my compuet..do i need an amp or someshit?fill me in on what i need

J-Cee
10-17-2007, 06:23 AM
whats The Preamp for and what not?
For the rappers on this site,do u have to have a preamp,if so what would u recommend aswell.

J-Cee
10-17-2007, 06:27 AM
was thinking the SHURE 57 instrument/vocal mic

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/product/reviews?base_pid=270102&rpp=10&page=2

and this preamp...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MICROPHONE-MODELLING-PreAMP-MIC800-NEW-MELMUSIC_W0QQitemZ220158301625QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2 9950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SARGA
10-17-2007, 08:54 AM
also if im recording at my compuet..do i need an amp or someshit?fill me in on what i need

Stick to your $5 dollor mic and Adobe Audition, Your lyrics, voice and Australlian accent are weak. The life you have lived is showen through your voice and eyes. Have you lived on the streets? Have you HAD to steal to pay rent, have you had to steal food? Have you recoverd from a A class drug habbit ? have you been a victom of police brutality or been locked away ? You still have to put in 10 years, if you havnt your simply New gen hiphop, none of your songs made me think or taught me anything, and your flow is just One rhyme at the end of a boring line. You reminded me of a Rebelling rich kid that likes a song for its hook. Your songs made me write this.

J-Cee
10-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Stick to your $5 dollor mic and Adobe Audition, Your lyrics, voice and Australlian accent are weak. The life you have lived is showen through your voice and eyes. Have you lived on the streets? Have you HAD to steal to pay rent, have you had to steal food? Have you recoverd from a A class drug habbit ? have you been a victom of police brutality or been locked away ? You still have to put in 10 years, if you havnt your simply New gen hiphop, none of your songs made me think or taught me anything, and your flow is just One rhyme at the end of a boring line. You reminded me of a Rebelling rich kid that likes a song for its hook. Your songs made me write this.

lol..well u musnt of really heard much of what i was saying cause in none of my songs do i speak of myself commiting in any of those acts...
And i wouldnt expect you to relate or understand cause ur obviously ignorant,close minded and from a totally different culture.
Go listen to 50 cent and all the stuff u see on tv..let them teach you something............

J-Cee
10-17-2007, 09:48 AM
so any1 know what id need,def an amp..and check those links i posted of mic and preamp cause was thinking of getting them..

Mattlocka
10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
If there a wel wart you can pick up a nice mic there.

Peace Mattlocka

ClymaX
10-18-2007, 04:55 AM
ART tube preamps are cheap and pretty dope fo their price. check em out!

DON'T get a dynamic (SM57) altought it sometimes works fo rappers wit a rugged style. T-Bone makes some good consender mics.. You should get all this under 100$

J-Cee
10-18-2007, 05:24 AM
ah its all good i bought a mic today
Samson CO1U or someshit..also got a mic stand and a Pop filter.

now just need a good program to records in casue for some reason my adobe audition when i record vocals with this mic they only come out 1 of my speakers.

MaXiMus Da MaNtis
10-18-2007, 07:07 AM
i use a Audio Technica Condenser Mic And A Berhinger Pre-Amp With Built In Phaton Power

Mic+Pre Amp= 160 American Dollars

J-Cee
10-18-2007, 07:48 AM
the mic i bought today plugs into the USB port aswell which is convenient..now i need to find the best program to record with.

Dominus Santorini
10-19-2007, 02:33 AM
Unfortunately man a USB mic is cutting necessary corners. Most likely, except to untrained ears, your current mic will not sound as professional as you need it. You might think it sounds good and the engineer will save your butt in the mixing process, but truth be told you can't always fix this problem.

Your best bet would've been to buy a nice $200 microphone like the Studio Projects C1 and a damn good priced preamp like M-Audio's Firewire 400 (whatever it is now).

For recording, you might be able to search the internet for a free open source DAW but if you have the loot, you should get Cubase SX 3, Sonar 6 or 7, Ableton Live, etc. If you have MAC than Logic on the high end or garageband on the mid card end.

J-Cee
10-19-2007, 03:23 AM
^ thanks 4 the info..i actually was gonna purchase a SHURE SM58 or something along those lines,but the guy at the store recommended buying this mic which i really didnt want,but he said its really the mic u should buy for home recording...
the sound is clear but it jsut doesnt sound right to me for some reason,like jsut speaking on a beat.

J-Cee
10-19-2007, 03:24 AM
check the mic im talkin of..tell me what u think though..aint just a shit ass USB mic..

ClymaX
10-19-2007, 05:11 AM
There's no big difference when comparing it to the 57.. They're both dynamic and made especially for live use and to record instrument! To get that studio sound u need to pick a consender! C1 is dope but i guess Rode mics are cheaper

Dominus Santorini
10-19-2007, 11:46 AM
In reality you bought a marketing scheme more than anything else, it happens to the best of us. It happened to me when I was first buying shit. So don't take it personal or anything, you really can't trust salespeople.

Please consider purchasing a traditional condenser microphone such as a http://www.studioprojects.com/ or Rode http://www.rodemic.com/ UNLESS you have some real disposable income then you should get those Neumann mics which are not cheap (understatement). You'll hear the difference between a real microphone and a USB mic.

the Shure's 57 and 58 are probably the only dynamic mics you should consider buying but remember condenser mics are built for the studio and are more fragile, while dynamics are really built for recording anything but vocals and for live performances.

Describe this "doesnt sound right to me for some reason, like jsut speaking on a beat" problem for me.

rzarazorrzarazorsharp
10-19-2007, 05:55 PM
if you want to record on your computer you need a interface a mic and you'll have to buy the mic cord seperately and of course a mic stand with a shock mount...

J-Cee
10-19-2007, 08:44 PM
nah the mic i got is a condenser mic
i also got a stand and a pop filter

hard to explain..the sound that comes out is real clear just doesnt sound right when i lay my vocals on a beat,just sounds like i got a beat and just put vocals on em but it dont sound "together"..lol i dunno im drunk.

rzarazorrzarazorsharp
10-19-2007, 09:02 PM

hard to explain..the sound that comes out is real clear just doesnt sound right when i lay my vocals on a beat,just sounds like i got a beat and just put vocals on em but it dont sound "together"..lol i dunno im drunk.well it might be where you recording....when your talking about studio mics...the clarity is there....but sometimes its TOO clear and itll pick up everything...even the echo of the walls ...so if your recording in an open area i would reccomend hanging clothing, towels, bed sheets Or any other kind of clothe around the area you record...doing so will help keep sound from bouncing off the walls and it;ll give you a more raw sound of your voice...if not all your vocals will sound like they have reverb on them....let me know if this helps

rzarazorrzarazorsharp
10-19-2007, 09:05 PM
also....sometimes mic's will pick up the buzz from your computer or any other electronics around the house...try recording in a different room from where your computer is if its possible

J-Cee
10-20-2007, 03:48 AM
^yeh i think that might be it ay.will let u know if thats the main reason when i record
thanks for the help/info.
peace.

Visionz
10-20-2007, 05:39 AM
J-Cee, you just don't wanna admit when you got got, that mic is always gonna sound like shit because of the electric interference of being plugged directly into your computer. Take what other;s have said here as advice and go get a pre-amp, you HAVE to have that shit if you want to get some quality sound. stop being a cheap ass, quality= spending at least a lil' bit of cash. if you're being serious its worth it.

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-20-2007, 06:11 AM
I like Behringer, but I wouldn't recommend their mics or really their pre amps.

I originally got a Rode NT-1A, but have recently been using a Rode NTK valve mic I borrowed and it's lovely!

I record into Pro Tools, but use a Focusrite Voicemaster Pro Platinum rather than the pre amps on the Digi 001 rack.

I can't recommend the combination of Voicemaster and Rode NTK enough. SOund is sweet.

Otherwise, the main thing to sort out is the actual room you're to record in. If you can't use an accoustic treatments, then at least try and make some sort of make shift setup as you will find plenty of guides to on Google.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5084/voicemasterntkja3.jpg

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-20-2007, 06:16 AM

hard to explain..the sound that comes out is real clear just doesnt sound right when i lay my vocals on a beat,just sounds like i got a beat and just put vocals on em but it dont sound "together"..lol i dunno im drunk.

well it might be where you recording....when your talking about studio mics...the clarity is there....but sometimes its TOO clear and itll pick up everything...even the echo of the walls ...so if your recording in an open area i would reccomend hanging clothing, towels, bed sheets Or any other kind of clothe around the area you record...doing so will help keep sound from bouncing off the walls and it;ll give you a more raw sound of your voice...if not all your vocals will sound like they have reverb on them....let me know if this helps

I'd go along with all that advice. No offense, but it might also be your mixing. It takes a lot of effort to seamlessly put a vocal onto a beat and not sound like your just cutting instrumentals and acapellas together.

J-Cee
10-21-2007, 08:08 AM
J-Cee, you just don't wanna admit when you got got, that mic is always gonna sound like shit because of the electric interference of being plugged directly into your computer. Take what other;s have said here as advice and go get a pre-amp, you HAVE to have that shit if you want to get some quality sound. stop being a cheap ass, quality= spending at least a lil' bit of cash. if you're being serious its worth it.

im taking in what everyones saying..not being a cheap ass at all i wanted to get the preamp n shit.and the mic cost 200$..and when it comes to recording im def serious about it.

J-Cee
10-21-2007, 08:09 AM
any tips on the best program to use to record with and mixing..?

TurnThePage
10-21-2007, 09:09 AM
nevermind the hate fam , that'll come no matter how nice you are.

i recomend returning your shit and copping a preamp though..

as far as programs, protools is the industry standard.

that cost alot of money though...

what do kids use these days? cool edit pro?

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-21-2007, 09:28 AM
^^ Pro Tools doesn't have to cost too much. Pro Tools comes in two forms - Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools HD. Unless you're running a professional recording studio with tens of thousands to spend, you'll wanna get LE.

The current LE setup will put you back around 750-1500 ($1500-$3000) depending on what you get (rack mount audio interface+software, or audio interface/hardware controller+software as well).

I got the Digi 001 rack a few years ago, and paid 200 ($400) second hand, which got me Pro Tools LE 6,7 software, and the 8in/8out (with 2 pre amp) 1U rackmount audio interface.

The only problem with getting the older hardware is that it won't be compatible with the latest software (my Digi 001 only runs LE up to version 6.7).

Having siad that, you could take a project made on LE 6.7 into a studio using the latest Pro Tools HD and load it up (obviouslly not gonna work the other way).

Hope that helps!

J-Cee
10-21-2007, 10:18 AM
k thanks..im just using Adobe Audition 1.5,cause its the one ive used and can work out
Got Cakewalk Sonar 6 Producers Edition aswell but dunno how to use it.

Heres an example of what the vocals sound like with The new Mic,untouched(effects etc.)so afetr hearing this compared to the shit mic i had before let me know if u think the sound is right or what could be done to be fixed..if possible..

http://www.zshare.net/audio/4354104f00bc5e/

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-21-2007, 10:20 AM
^^ If you got Sonar, I'd definately recommend you learn to use it. Once familiar with it, using anything like Pro Tools or Cubase etc will be easy to pick up as well.

TurnThePage
10-21-2007, 10:34 AM
k thanks..im just using Adobe Audition 1.5,cause its the one ive used and can work out
Got Cakewalk Sonar 6 Producers Edition aswell but dunno how to use it.

Heres an example of what the vocals sound like with The new Mic,untouched(effects etc.)so afetr hearing this compared to the shit mic i had before let me know if u think the sound is right or what could be done to be fixed..if possible..

http://www.zshare.net/audio/4354104f00bc5e/

hmm.. i'd say back up a few inches from the mic..
the sound tells me your in an open room probably...
try buying sound blankets and figuring out a way to hang them... or setting up in your closet.
it sounds better then your old setup.

J-Cee
10-21-2007, 10:39 AM
yeh..i have a pop filter also that i attach to my mic stand and the pop filter is about 1 and half inches from the mic..and i speak about 6 inches away from that..but yeh im recording in my room which is small with the door closed might have to make it so sound aint rebounding off the walls.

with mixing and shit though i could make the vocals sound more together with the beat ay?

TurnThePage
10-21-2007, 10:42 AM
yer..

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-21-2007, 10:42 AM
If you got your back to the door, then try hanging a duvet in the door and shutting it so the top hold the duvet in place (hanging down if you follow me). If you got a big cd rack, then pull each case out at different distances and angles as this will at least randomise any reflections from it.

If you got a cupboard full of clothes, then it can work to open the doors and hang clothes/towels/duvet/blankets on them, then sit the mic stand in that space (in front of the cupboard between the two open doors).

Do that and get maybe a mate standing behind you holding up a big sofa cushion and this can work fairly well for the man on a budget!

J-Cee
10-21-2007, 10:45 AM
aight cool..ill try these thins out when i record..thanks for the help..appreciated
peace.

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-21-2007, 10:46 AM
^^ Let us know how it goes.

Somewhere at home I've got Soundonsound magazines guide to vocal recording. It's an in depth guide spanning a number of pages andcovering all aspects, from what bits to buy to where to stand to room acoustics. If I can find it, then I'll scan it and up the lot on this page.

Until then, here's some links to SOS magazine guides.

SOS guide to microphones
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/jun95/microphones.html

SOS guide to practical acoustic treatment (Part 1 but the rest are linked on left)
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul98/articles/acoustics1.html

J-Cee
10-21-2007, 11:23 AM
ah nice.yeh thatd be tight
quality

yoyoyo416
10-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately man a USB mic is cutting necessary corners. Most likely, except to untrained ears, your current mic will not sound as professional as you need it. You might think it sounds good and the engineer will save your butt in the mixing process, but truth be told you can't always fix this problem.

Your best bet would've been to buy a nice $200 microphone like the Studio Projects C1 and a damn good priced preamp like M-Audio's Firewire 400 (whatever it is now).

For recording, you might be able to search the internet for a free open source DAW but if you have the loot, you should get Cubase SX 3, Sonar 6 or 7, Ableton Live, etc. If you have MAC than Logic on the high end or garageband on the mid card end.

I use the Studio Projects C3... it's a condenser mic that costs about $350. Great mic if you ask me, especially if you add a 7 band EQ on it while recording.

If you have a lot of money to blow then go for an AKG c414... those are nice sounding "semi" professional mics.

Other then that go to your local music store and rent a U-87 (costs about $70 a day, but if you want quality recordings and plan on recording all day it's a great deal).

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-22-2007, 03:43 AM
^^ Love the U87! Personally, I'd avoid using the more expensive U89 - there's something about it I don't really like. Gotta say though that if you're gonna go the route of renting a U87, you're better off getting studio time, cos there's little point in $3000 mics in a room with really shitty acoustics.

rzarazorrzarazorsharp
10-22-2007, 06:38 AM
nevermind the hate fam , that'll come no matter how nice you are.

i recomend returning your shit and copping a preamp though..

as far as programs, protools is the industry standard.

that cost alot of money though...

what do kids use these days? cool edit pro?

i recommend sound forge as a cheaper alternative.

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-22-2007, 06:40 AM
^^ Really depends how dedicated to actually buying the software you are.....

Dominus Santorini
10-23-2007, 12:17 AM
^^ I use Cubase SX 2 with a Studio Projects C1 microphone and a Firewire 410

yoyoyo416
10-23-2007, 05:42 PM
^^ Love the U87! Personally, I'd avoid using the more expensive U89 - there's something about it I don't really like. Gotta say though that if you're gonna go the route of renting a U87, you're better off getting studio time, cos there's little point in $3000 mics in a room with really shitty acoustics.

Yeah definetly. Thank god the college I use to go to allows 24/7 access to their studios. One with an SSL board and another room with a Pro Tools HD console... not the greatest acoustics in their booths but it's way better then basement "closet" booths.

And another thing.. don't get either SM57's or 58's... they're terrible for recording vocals. They're mainly used for live events and micing drums and shit... don't bother.

LEONI_THE_ONE
10-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Rode NT 1-A- 288$
preamp dbx 286a - 380$
sound cards - ESI Juli@ - 175$
headphones-AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-PRO700-200$

thats a good for rap as I know...

SARGA
10-31-2007, 02:48 AM
lol..well u musnt of really heard much of what i was saying cause in none of my songs do i speak of myself commiting in any of those acts...
And i wouldnt expect you to relate or understand cause ur obviously ignorant,close minded and from a totally different culture.
Go listen to 50 cent and all the stuff u see on tv..let them teach you something............

Hahaha Culture? Like Aussie? hahah pink polos and Perfect weather, no one there is anywere near ghetto, you would do good on trance tracks and RnB, dont fuck with Rap, just cose your inspired by it dosnt mean you have to pick up a mic. if i see you i would smack you out, hard, i may sound pathetic, But my whole life is rap, i represent that, when i hear lame rhymes like yours i get fucking pissed off.
I have traveled the world heaps bro dont talk to me about culture, i brang myself up from the gutter, not only that, i have been up in this Music Shit for 12 years. and also, you said you songs dont speak of commiting "thoose" acts". its cose you were spoon fed, your were never a street kid, your well schooled and have a good home life.

I dont have a family to call on. i had to steal my food to live when i was 5 years old, while your mum was paking your lunchbox ready for school,

Real recognize Real, Listen to Music dont fuck with what we are living.