PDA

View Full Version : Turkey to invade Iraq????

HANZO
10-21-2007, 09:28 AM
TUNCELI, Turkey (Reuters) - Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan called crisis talks that may authorise a cross-border military offensive after Kurdish rebels killed at least 12 Turkish soldiers in an ambush on Sunday near the Iraqi border.

The attack, one of the worst in more than a decade by rebels of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), came four days after the Ankara parliament backed a motion allowing troops to enter northern Iraq to fight guerrillas hiding there.
"We are very angry... Our parliament has granted us the authority to act and within this framework we will do whatever has to be done," Erdogan said at an Istanbul polling station after voting in Sunday's referendum on constitutional changes.
Erdogan said military and government officials would meet at 8 pm (6 p.m. BST) under the chairmanship of President Abdullah Gul at the presidential palace to decide how Turkey should respond.
Turkey's military general staff said 12 soldiers and 23 rebels were killed in Sunday's clashes. Security sources had said earlier at least 13 Turkish soldiers had been killed.
In another incident on Sunday, a landmine killed one civilian and wounded at least 13 more in a minibus travelling near to where the soldiers were killed.
The United States, Turkey's NATO ally, and the Baghdad government have urged Ankara to refrain from military action, fearing this could destabilise the most peaceful part of Iraq and possibly the wider region.
Iraqi Kurdish leader Masoud Barzani said on Sunday his autonomous region would defend itself if Turkish troops launched a cross-border incursion.
"We are not going to be caught up in the PKK and Turkish war, but if Kurdistan region is targeted, then we are going to defend our citizens," Barzani told reporters after meeting Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, who is also a Kurd.
In Arbil, Iraq, a Kurdish military official said the Turkish military had fired artillery shells into about 11 areas along the border in Iraq early on Sunday. There were no casualties.
ANGER
The PKK attack, which wounded up to 16 people, occurred in Hakkari province in the mountainous border area early on Sunday.
The pro-PKK Firat news agency said the rebels had taken "many hostages" among the Turkish troops. The report could not be independently confirmed.
Turkey has deployed as many as 100,000 troops along the border to try to stop the PKK rebels crossing from Iraqi bases to stage attacks inside Turkey.
Erdogan's government is under pressure from public opinion and the powerful military to take action against the PKK following a series of deadly attacks on Turkish security forces.
The death toll among Turkish troops and security personnel has reached around 40 in the past month alone.
"A cross-border operation must now definitely be carried out," said Devlet Bahceli, leader of the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP), in comment typical of opposition parties' reaction.
Parliament's authorisation for cross-border operations is valid for one year. Erdogan has previously signalled military operations are not imminent and Western diplomats in Ankara say Turkey is not keen to send troops into Iraq because of the security and economic risks.
"We cannot expect Turkey to remain silent in the face of attacks like these," Murat Yetkin, a commentator for the liberal Radikal daily told NTV television.
"This attack, coming on a day when Turkey votes in a referendum, is a very clear provocation. It shows the PKK is not interested in democratic initiatives," Yetkin said.
Sunday's referendum will decide whether Turkey's future presidents will be elected directly by the people instead of by parliament, as well as on other changes.
Turkey's tougher stance has helped propel global oil prices to record highs over the past week. Pipelines carrying Iraqi and Caspian crude cross Turkey.
Ankara blames the PKK for the deaths of more than 30,000 people since the group launched its armed campaign for an ethnic homeland in southeast Turkey in 1984. The United States and European Union class the PKK as a terrorist organisation.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071021/tts-uk-turkey-iraq-ca02f96_4.html

I like it how the world tells us to show restraint when last year Isreal destroyed Lebanon cause of 2 soldiers. another thing is Turkey sees more cooperation on this issue with Iran and Syria our old enemies, than our supposed allys America and the rest of NATO.

also its a damn coincidence that this war shit happens when i get called for national service. but even though i have never lived in Turkey, i would gladly go.

DUMBO
10-21-2007, 10:00 AM
you have to love the irony. the us doesn't want turkey to invade despite turkey's 'just cause' to thwart kurdish aggression based on the preemptive strike principle which is, of course, the us' 'innovation' in international relations.

good for the goose....

HANZO
10-21-2007, 09:02 PM
this proves that being apart of NATO is absolute useless nowadays. if our government werent such pussy's they would invade iraq. but they fear an action against kurds in iraq will mean they lose kurdish votes in turkey. i think its time for us to fuk off outta NATO, its been no benefit to us at all. we were jus used for the fact that we have a suprerior fighting force but thats about it. we have had no support at all from NATO on this issue. only isreal helped us out.

at the moment the world knows we are bluffing, which we are. i cant believe we have come to a moment where even the iraqis could talk shit to us. i mean before us war mongering turks used to wipe out nations if one of their citizens sneezed and the bacteria crossed the border. now we are probably the most pussy nation. fukin disgrace.

CrEAM
10-22-2007, 02:19 PM
yoo does anyone know the background of Turkish / Kurdish conflict? Im aware theres always been tension - but how come? Who knows why?

CEITEDMOFO
10-22-2007, 02:24 PM
sexual tension

HANZO
10-22-2007, 04:37 PM
yoo does anyone know the background of Turkish / Kurdish conflict? Im aware theres always been tension - but how come? Who knows why?

ok there was this empire called the Ottomans. it ruled the middle east, north afirca, and the balkans for 600 years, a turkish empire. in worls war 1 it collapsed. so you had all these different states drawn up. the english and the french who conquered arabia from the turks drew up iraq, syria and the rest. so all the different ethnicities who lived in the empire got their own country. arabs, greeks, jews, bulgarians, serbs, romanians, bosnians, armenians all got a country. but the kurds didnt get a country or land from the collapsed empire.

so eversince world war 1 they want a country. and that country they want jus happens to have a large chunk of turkey in it. the turks dnt like it when ppl want a piece of their land. at the end of the day turkey went through a brutal war of independence to salvage modern day turkey from wat was the ottoman empire.

in 1983 a left wing marxist group the PKK went on a military campaign to fight the turks and claim a free kurdistan. ofcourse this isnt that easy, there terrorist campaign has killed 40,000 ppl and cost Turkey alot. but they havent really achieved anything at all. in 1999 their leader was caught by turkish special forces when he was hiding in the Greek consulate in Kenya. countries like Greece support the kurds in the fight against Turkey. the pkk is a terrorist group the EU and USA accept it as one. but many EU countries support the pkk. when america invaded iraq this gave the kurds in the country a lot of political power. so the kurds now support the pkk. cause they all have the same aim. to create a larger kurdistan.

so thats its, kurds want a country, turks told them to fuk off, kurds use terrorist tactics to spread their propaganda. Turks still tell them to fuk off. kurds also want parts of syria, iraq and iran.

its complex but take the facts into account. theres no way unless Turkey get nuked 100 times over that the kurds will end up with their own homeland. if Turkey has the bollocks Iraq would end up worse than wat Isreal did to Lebanon.

CrEAM
10-27-2007, 10:45 PM
ok there was this empire called the Ottomans. it ruled the middle east, north afirca, and the balkans for 600 years, a turkish empire. in worls war 1 it collapsed. so you had all these different states drawn up. the english and the french who conquered arabia from the turks drew up iraq, syria and the rest. so all the different ethnicities who lived in the empire got their own country. arabs, greeks, jews, bulgarians, serbs, romanians, bosnians, armenians all got a country. but the kurds didnt get a country or land from the collapsed empire.

so eversince world war 1 they want a country. and that country they want jus happens to have a large chunk of turkey in it. the turks dnt like it when ppl want a piece of their land. at the end of the day turkey went through a brutal war of independence to salvage modern day turkey from wat was the ottoman empire.

in 1983 a left wing marxist group the PKK went on a military campaign to fight the turks and claim a free kurdistan. ofcourse this isnt that easy, there terrorist campaign has killed 40,000 ppl and cost Turkey alot. but they havent really achieved anything at all. in 1999 their leader was caught by turkish special forces when he was hiding in the Greek consulate in Kenya. countries like Greece support the kurds in the fight against Turkey. the pkk is a terrorist group the EU and USA accept it as one. but many EU countries support the pkk. when america invaded iraq this gave the kurds in the country a lot of political power. so the kurds now support the pkk. cause they all have the same aim. to create a larger kurdistan.

so thats its, kurds want a country, turks told them to fuk off, kurds use terrorist tactics to spread their propaganda. Turks still tell them to fuk off. kurds also want parts of syria, iraq and iran.

its complex but take the facts into account. theres no way unless Turkey get nuked 100 times over that the kurds will end up with their own homeland. if Turkey has the bollocks Iraq would end up worse than wat Isreal did to Lebanon.

ooh , shoot thats pretty serious. theyve been hating each other since forever then. I dont even know whos right in this situation - they both have their reasons for the land. By any chance are you a Kurd, or Iraqi yourself? .. just curious lol .

GENERAL WISE
10-27-2007, 10:59 PM
sexual tension
I am sorry Han, but

:lmao:
:r

:r

:dead:

HANZO
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM
ooh , shoot thats pretty serious. theyve been hating each other since forever then. I dont even know whos right in this situation - they both have their reasons for the land. By any chance are you a Kurd, or Iraqi yourself? .. just curious lol .

They both due have right to the land, Kurds can argue that they have been there since ancient persia as so they claimed. the Turks are conquerors from central asia, but they have ruled that land for 1000 years now. but to this date their has never been an actual state called kurdistan. its a complex issue, you really gotta read on the history in detail then judge for yourself whose right or wrong.

im a Turk by the way.

GENERAL WISE
10-27-2007, 11:59 PM
They both due have right to the land, Kurds can argue that they have been there since ancient persia as so they claimed. the Turks are conquerors from central asia, but they have ruled that land for 1000 years now. but to this date their has never been an actual state called kurdistan. its a complex issue, you really gotta read on the history in detail then judge for yourself whose right or wrong.

im a Turk by the way.

I have a question which I do not want to research. How are the Turks from Turkey and the Turks from Afghanistan/Turkmenistan similar/different. I have a Afghan Turk (Afghanistan does NOT have racial uninamity) cousin.

HANZO
10-28-2007, 05:11 PM
I have a question which I do not want to research. How are the Turks from Turkey and the Turks from Afghanistan/Turkmenistan similar/different. I have a Afghan Turk (Afghanistan does NOT have racial uninamity) cousin.

Well Turkey, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhistan, Turkmenistan and Kryzistan are all known to be Turkic states. Historically we are all similar. we come from the same places some carry the same names and speak the same language. Being a nomadic race Turks moved around a lot. the ones that settled in todays Turkey jus mixed with the local populations. A majority of the Turks in Turkey are turks with Russian or Serbian in them. the ottomans mixed soo much that a lot of turks lost their turkic identity and thus they look caucasian. also the ottoman added arabic and latin to the turkish language. so the turkish we speak in turkey is different to the one an afghan turk would speak. but i would be able to understand if i listen carefully. some words still remain the same.

so yeah we are technically similar.

J.T.S.
10-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Www! these are some crazy scenerios man!