PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Index.dat files?

check two
10-23-2007, 01:14 AM
I was wondering why Windows has Index.dat files in the cookies folder and other places? What is the real point in Windows having these types of files? Do you recommend deleting them with some type of program, like CCleaner? I guess the newest version of Internet Explorer doesn't have index.dat files?

EAGLE EYE
10-23-2007, 01:37 AM
I was wondering why Windows has Index.dat files in the cookies folder and other places? What is the real point in Windows having these types of files? Do you recommend deleting them with some type of program, like CCleaner? I guess the newest version of Internet Explorer doesn't have index.dat files?

its highly recommended you delete these since they contain every url address youve visited since day one of having a internet connection established..

yes there are programs to delete the contents of these files

Dirty Knowledge
10-23-2007, 01:46 AM
index.dat Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check two
10-23-2007, 02:19 AM
lol Are there any good free programs that can delete the index.dat files? I've heard about a free one called CCleaner. And the current version of Explorer, Internet Explorer 7, doesn't have any Index.dat files?

check two
11-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Anymore input on Index.dat files?

born invincible
11-26-2007, 06:03 PM
ccleaner is good and best of all its free....

check two
11-26-2007, 11:47 PM
So CCleaner actually removes the Index.dat files from Internet Explorer like it says it does?

I had read that the first version of Firefox has Index.dat files also. So does CCleaner remove those Index.dat files too?

SG
11-29-2007, 09:05 PM
So CCleaner actually removes the Index.dat files from Internet Explorer like it says it does?

I had read that the first version of Firefox has Index.dat files also. So does CCleaner remove those Index.dat files too?

You refreshed my brain on the "dear admin section" so I return the favor with Knowledge

Index files will do you no harm on your computer. Operating systems require and use certain files to make applications work.

Remember this: Computers have a compound effect especially went it comes to essential files. You may delete that file or attempt to delete file and come to find you start having Internet Expoler, Netscape, Or Firefox problems based on which one which one you are using

You probably did more research on your own but here is a link, this link is at your own risk

http://www.milincorporated.com/a_indexdat.html (http://www.milincorporated.com/a_indexdat.html)