PDA

View Full Version : The Doors

Urban_Journalz
10-24-2007, 01:17 AM
To me, this is one of the greatest groups in the history of audio-terrorism. I like them more than I like The Jimi Hendrix Experience. No disrespect, because they were tight.

In essence, this group has inspired me to grow and I haven't had that feeling since I bought Brother Ali's "The Undisputed Truth"

The first song by this group that I ever heard was, "Five To One". A great song, no doubt. Even the likes of DJ Muggs and Mos Def have used this song on thier albums.

I recently bought "The Very Best of The Doors" and it's all I've been listening to for the past few days.

What intrigues me the most about this group, is the fact that there is an equal balance of both lyricism and musicianship. Even in thier own time, they were labeled, "The outlaws of rock & roll".

Jim Morrison spoke about things that are both true and haunting at the same time. If anyone has ever heard the song, "The End", that's where my basis from this statement comes from. Listening to that song, especially the beginning, and thinking of how he died, will almost bring you to tears.

If there are any Doors fans here, I'd like to know why you listen to them and what thier music does and has done for you.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-24-2007, 01:49 AM
The Doors are a great band definitely.

your discription of their music as haunting is apt, tracks like "The End", "The Chyrstal Ship" and "When the Music's Over" are pretty unlike anything else ive heard, Morrisons voice and lyrics always seemed to compliment the music perfectly.

"The End" remains one of my favourite tracs ever, the way it changes throughout the song from low key, to chaotic and back again is genius.

a lot of interesting themes involved in the Doors music also, i remember reading about how chaos related to "The End" but i cant recall the exact details, i'll try and find the article.

froth
10-24-2007, 01:56 AM
i like the doors but im not as sentimental about them, morrison was often a toolbag alcoholic and, while there is no doubt five to one is a classic, there is a low moment for every crystal ship. im not shitting on them but im not deifying them either. i like listening to them when the moment is right

Longbongcilvaringz
10-24-2007, 02:04 AM
agree, i feel as though they were pretty inconsistant, but maybe thats part of the appeal of their music.

there are some tracks which i just cant get into at all.

Jet Set
10-24-2007, 09:53 AM
kanye sampled five to one [takeover]. and mos def used that again.

anyway, people are strange, i cant see your face in my mind, strange days

so lets go to the next whiskey bar

The drummer and Jim never got along. This was due to their first meeting and the drummer did not look jim in the eyes. Jim never liked him after that.

Jim tripped too much, a bit too much. The End was the perfect example. That was Jims song.

pneumatic
10-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Yall should watch the movie with Val Kilmer.

beautifulrock
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
k

ALabama song (whiskey bar) is a great tune, but I think their best ever is peace frog, and the apocalypse now redux version of "The End". I have the vinyl, it takes up both sides and has the helicopter sounds and crickets and shit, its twice as eerie and over 20 minutes long.

Koolish
10-24-2007, 10:48 AM
kanye sampled five to one [takeover]. and mos def used that again.

anyway, people are strange, i cant see your face in my mind, strange days

The drummer and Jim never got along. This was due to their first meeting and the drummer did not look jim in the eyes. Jim never liked him after that.

Jim tripped too much, a bit too much. The End was the perfect example. That was Jims song.
reportedly he would walk down a street and take every drug that was handed to him. i read somewhere else that in his teenager years he would read a hundred books a week, but that's gotta be over exaggerated.

"before...you...slip into unconsciousness" he was a great poet. i have their debut album and i really like it. gonna check out more of their shit.

Urban_Journalz
10-24-2007, 11:05 AM
The Doors are a great band definitely.

your discription of their music as haunting is apt, tracks like "The End", "The Chyrstal Ship" and "When the Music's Over" are pretty unlike anything else ive heard, Morrisons voice and lyrics always seemed to compliment the music perfectly.

"The End" remains one of my favourite tracs ever, the way it changes throughout the song from low key, to chaotic and back again is genius.

a lot of interesting themes involved in the Doors music also, i remember reading about how chaos related to "The End" but i cant recall the exact details, i'll try and find the article.

In truth, it was Jim Morrison that described thier music as, "strange and haunting" and with tracks like "The End" and "End of The Night", I can see where he was coming from. Though not all of the music sounded like that, it had a certain darkness to it.

His voice definitely complimented the music to a "T" though. It's crazy that they were only together 4 years before Jim's death.

Urban_Journalz
10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Yall should watch the movie with Val Kilmer.

I was about to ask if that movie was worth seeing. Is it worth the cash? Or should I rent it?

Kong
10-24-2007, 11:26 AM
the movie is quite good, worth getting.

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-24-2007, 02:24 PM
I like their music because they were original in sound melody and lyricS

TAURO
10-24-2007, 04:54 PM
If you listen to Psycho Realm, they have sampled alot of shit from the doors. I would say their music is the rap equivalent to the type of tracks The Doors made. They even sampled Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison in their first album.

I would say that it was Psycho Realm that got me listening to The Doors, the type of music they made just vibes well with me.
Also the Val Kilmer Doors movie is dope. check it out if you haven't.

Urban_Journalz
10-25-2007, 11:41 PM
I remeber seeing the movie in a video store years ago, but that was way before I even knew about the group.

The only Psycho Realm tracks I've heard are "Pow Wow" and a couple of others, but you've got a point about The Realm having the same feel as The Doors.

tobacojones
10-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Novelty act.

Jet Set
10-28-2007, 09:52 AM
I enjoyed the movie. But I read that the doors were not amuse by it.

For apocalypse now teh sound editor got the original masters to use with the score. One of those masters had jim saying 'fuck you yeah'. the editor used it but wasnt sure if he would get away with it. but elektra didnt oppose.

in one of the early cuts of apocalypse now they used alot of the doors, but it was too fitting. so they scrapped it. Thre's also a deleted scene, the monkey sampan, in which a group of inhabitants is shown doing a cover of light my fire. in the sense of the fire dance sorta. really weird scene.

Shitao
10-28-2007, 03:41 PM
With "Wish You Were Here" of the Pink Floyd, "L.A. Woman" and "Morrison Hotel" are maybe my fav '70 albums ever. Masterpieces.