PDA

View Full Version : The Astronomy Thread

Prolifical ENG
11-15-2007, 07:34 PM
I guess one was never made.....or perhaps people already know a lot....it seems many people research this on their own. I am sure most of you have!

I am one of those that did this at a young age and by 7 I could give you the distance each planet in our solar system was from the sun.

In my post secondary education for atmospheric science, I need to know the concepts even better.

For example by researching other planets, we can understand the history of our own planet Earth even better...especially from the Terrestrial (inner) planets.

So what shall we discuss?

LORD NOSE
11-15-2007, 11:52 PM
So what shall we discuss?

how the stars affect us here on earth

LORD NOSE
11-16-2007, 04:11 PM
in astrology we call the inner planets "inferior" and outer planets "superior"

why is that ?

V4D3R
11-16-2007, 05:10 PM
^^Jupiter is not between the Earth and Sun.

Who thinks that Vulcan is still out there close to the sun?

And how can we tell if the earth is getting closer to the Sun? Maybe the Sun being warmer lately is us getting closer to it?

They been saying latey that the Sun is getting bigger and hotter- what if it's just us getting closer? We would be the next Venus.

In 2004 I sat outside a lot and studied the sky for hours almost every night. Mars is the most beautiful thing to look at on a clear night.

People would realize how bad their eyesight really is by star gazing. I can see the stars very good in the Kananaskis Mountains in the Rockies here near Calgary. City Dwellers don't know what they are missing.

Here's a question: Is the universe expanding or is the universe coming back together?
The Creator told a man that the Big Bang would reverse itself and we will all come back together in unison with the All.

Mumm Ra
11-16-2007, 05:46 PM
I've never seen Mars with my naked eye or otherwise...

STYLE
11-16-2007, 07:20 PM
okay now for something a lil more interesting....

Fifth planet found that orbits a sun.
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/newworlds/exoplanet-20071106.html
until very recently it was only an assumption that there were other planetary systems similar to ours in the milky way galaxy. the star named 55Canciri has 5 planets and possibly many more.
The newly discovered planet weighs about 45 times the mass of Earth and may be similar to Saturn in its composition and appearance. The planet is the fourth from 55 Cancri and completes one orbit every 260 days. Its location places the planet in the "habitable zone," a band around the star where the temperature would permit liquid water to pool on solid surfaces. The distance from its star is approximately 116.7 million kilometers (72.5 million miles), slightly closer than Earth to our sun, but it orbits a star that is slightly fainter.

and....

Spooky sounds recorded from Jupiter
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/sounds2/index-nasa.html
this shit tripped me out. it sounds like the alien signals from that movie SIGNS.

i personally think we are being prepped for the shock of 1st contact or ET proof.

4DER...
The universe is expanding. to scientists, the baffling thing is that the expansion is accelerating not slowing down. but until they come to grips with the fact that the universe is created thru thought and that the universe is expanding at the spped oof thought the y will never figure this phenom out.

Pale....
Keep studying man. you should know planetary order without blinking.
remember.......

My
Very
Energetic
Mother
Just
Served
Us
Nine
Pizzas

but since Pluto is no longer considered a planet..

My
Very
Energetic
Mother
Just
Served
Us
Noodles

STYLE
11-16-2007, 07:35 PM
If you really wanna know how insignificate your life is...
these vids will put you in your place
1 & 3 show the size of planets and stars.
2 is a trip from earth to the edge of the known universe trtavelling at the speed of light.

rlQiRp0m0q0
BGxRWCmwSDE
YL4cFjmnQT8

hectis
11-16-2007, 10:53 PM
^^Jupiter is not between the Earth and Sun.

Who thinks that Vulcan is still out there close to the sun?

And how can we tell if the earth is getting closer to the Sun? Maybe the Sun being warmer lately is us getting closer to it?

They been saying latey that the Sun is getting bigger and hotter- what if it's just us getting closer? We would be the next Venus.

In 2004 I sat outside a lot and studied the sky for hours almost every night. Mars is the most beautiful thing to look at on a clear night.

People would realize how bad their eyesight really is by star gazing. I can see the stars very good in the Kananaskis Mountains in the Rockies here near Calgary. City Dwellers don't know what they are missing.

Here's a question: Is the universe expanding or is the universe coming back together?
The Creator told a man that the Big Bang would reverse itself and we will all come back together in unison with the All.

tell me more about vulcan

and i thought it was venus u could see in the sky?

STYLE
11-17-2007, 12:29 AM
tell me more about vulcan

and i thought it was venus u could see in the sky?

u can see all the planets in the sky depending on the time of year and your location during that time.

but its really hard to see uranus unless you have a mirror.

V4D3R
11-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Vulcan is a planet that's so close to the sun you cant see it. It's a hypothetical planet.

Prolifical ENG
11-18-2007, 08:23 PM
how the stars affect us here on earth

I don't know how it affects Earth itself but perhaps the other stars affect the Sun which affects Earth.

How it affects us on Earth goes deep into history. So many stories of what those little dots are in the night sky....from that it greatly affected history...maybe the way it unfolded.

I think the one thing I hate in astronomy is how AUs are used to measure.
(astronomical units) in which 1 AU= the distance Earth is form the Sun which is 150 million kms . Then to measure distances between stars we use light years. Instead of saying something like 50AUs, I'd rather use scientific notation in kilometers. Perhaps the AU has more uses though.

STYLE
11-18-2007, 10:49 PM
a kilometer is based on waters density here on earth. 1 cubic cm = the volume of 1 gram of water.

so every measure is earth relative except light years.

even our 10 digit number system is based on the fact that we have 10 fingers. if we had 12 fingers, we'd count like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,£,§,10
with "£" and "§" being the extra digits.

or if we had 6 fingers we'd count like 1,2,3,4,5,10

LORD NOSE
11-18-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't know how it affects Earth itself but perhaps the other stars affect the Sun which affects Earth.

How it affects us on Earth goes deep into history. So many stories of what those little dots are in the night sky....from that it greatly affected history...maybe the way it unfolded.

I think the one thing I hate in astronomy is how AUs are used to measure.
(astronomical units) in which 1 AU= the distance Earth is form the Sun which is 150 million kms . Then to measure distances between stars we use light years. Instead of saying something like 50AUs, I'd rather use scientific notation in kilometers. Perhaps the AU has more uses though.

way over my head

what about the planets lining up and stuff
at certain times they line up right ?
this has to have an effect on us

and what about there really being 7 planets and not 9
but 2 of the 9 are really satellites for other planets

maybe the bigger (B166ER) planets like saturn and jupiter are really on their way to become stars/suns

iono

STYLE
11-19-2007, 01:50 AM
they have already stripped pluto of it's planet status. late 2006 early 2007.

Jupiter is considered by many to be a failed star.

just like earthly cycles affect us, system, glaactic and universal cycles affect us as well.

i mean a womans period is linked to the lunar orbit. 28 days = wax & wane

i think that not only alignments but individual planet positioning has an affect too.

LORD NOSE
11-19-2007, 02:19 AM
what about being born on certain days when stars and planets are aligned

what kind of people can be brought about during these alignments ?

the connection of astrology and astronomy is calling

Prolifical ENG
11-19-2007, 10:05 AM
a kilometer is based on waters density here on earth. 1 cubic cm = the volume of 1 gram of water.

even our 10 digit number system is based on the fact that we have 10 fingers. if we had 12 fingers, we'd count like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,£,§,10

Many people can't grasp how much millions and billions of kms are. I guess when comparing relative distances in AUs it makes more sense.

For Jupiter, it is important. 99% of the solar system's angular momentum is from Jupiters orbit. That means it affects Earth's orbit and our own gravitational force. Life on Earth may have not existed with the unique conditions if it wasn't for Jupiter.

We cant see planets orbiting around other stars because they dont emit much light. However some close stars you can observe it bulging around its equator a certain way. This can be evidence that some stars have planets like Jupiter in orbit.

LORD NOSE
11-19-2007, 10:12 AM
For Jupiter, it is important. 99% of the solar system's angular momentum is from Jupiters orbit. That means it affects Earth's orbit and our own gravitational force. Life on Earth may have not existed with the unique conditions if it wasn't for Jupiter.

We cant see planets orbiting around other stars because they dont emit much light. However some close stars you can observe it bulging around its equator a certain way. This can be evidence that some stars have planets like Jupiter in orbit.

interesting

STYLE
11-19-2007, 10:18 AM
jupiter also acts as a janitor for our system. it's gravity pulls in stray debris that might otherwise impact the inner planets.

LORD NOSE
11-19-2007, 01:19 PM
jupiter also acts as a janitor for our system. it's gravity pulls in stray debris that might otherwise impact the inner planets.

what is the purpose for the moons ?

and is it true that the planets cannot survive without the sun but the sun can exist without the planets ?

does the new age come in 2012 or 2150 ?

is there a difference between the ages and the equinox ?

Black Man
11-19-2007, 02:19 PM

our number system is not based on the fact we have 10 fingers.

IrOnMaN
11-19-2007, 06:58 PM
I love Astronomy! I am happy to say that in the fall of '05, I took a course in Astronomy and received an A.:learning: I actualy wanted to major in Astronomy, but Wayne State University doesn't offer it. I'd like to do research in Astronomy but as of right now, I'm doing undergraduate research in Geology, working two jobs, and taking four classes.:nerdy: I just don't have the time. It's interesting for me because I grew up watching educational programs and reading tons of books on Astronomy. When I was in high school, I did a research paper on Mars. It was about Mars and why it is the way it is. It discusses issues like Mars Magnatosphere, size, its volcanoes, it ice caps, etc. I received an A- on the paper, though. It was fun writting it.

But yeah. Astronomy cool. :)

hectis
11-19-2007, 07:01 PM
what is the purpose for the moons ?

and is it true that the planets cannot survive without the sun but the sun can exist without the planets ?

does the new age come in 2012 or 2150 ?

is there a difference between the ages and the equinox ?

I hear we can not live with out the moon

V4D3R
11-19-2007, 08:33 PM
We did not start with the 10 number system. We started off with the 6 number system. The Sumerians.

Koolish
11-20-2007, 12:40 AM
what's craziest about space is:
http://ipac.jpl.nasa.gov/media_images/ssc2006-21a1.jpg

how fucking trippy it can be. resonates with some psychedelic thought.

Prolifical ENG
11-20-2007, 01:10 PM
I love Astronomy! I am happy to say that in the fall of '05, I took a course in Astronomy and received an A.:learning: I actualy wanted to major in Astronomy, but Wayne State University doesn't offer it. I'd like to do research in Astronomy but as of right now, I'm doing undergraduate research in Geology, working two jobs, and taking four classes.:nerdy: I just don't have the time. It's interesting for me because I grew up watching educational programs and reading tons of books on Astronomy. When I was in high school, I did a research paper on Mars. It was about Mars and why it is the way it is. It discusses issues like Mars Magnatosphere, size, its volcanoes, it ice caps, etc. I received an A- on the paper, though. It was fun writting it.

But yeah. Astronomy cool. :)

Nevertheless astronomy moreover space science is critical for knowledge of the geology of Earth. Understanding planetary motions and the geology of other planets is essential to understanding Earth's geology and geology in general. I guess thats why knowing a certain amount of astronomy is required for your major.....its important for mine too.

IrOnMaN
11-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Nevertheless astronomy moreover space science is critical for knowledge of the geology of Earth. Understanding planetary motions and the geology of other planets is essential to understanding Earth's geology and geology in general. I guess thats why knowing a certain amount of astronomy is required for your major.....its important for mine too.

Exactly! What's your major?

Prolifical ENG
11-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Atmospheric science.

IrOnMaN
11-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Atmospheric science.

Man, that sounds great!

WARPATH
11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Philosophically speaking-

If the planets, stars, moons, and other heavenly bodies have human personalities:

Then there relationships define how they interact with each other in space.

Prolifical ENG
11-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Philosophically speaking-

If the planets, stars, moons, and other heavenly bodies have human personalities:

Then there relationships define how they interact with each other in space.

Well how about Venus and Earth's relationship with each other...venus is the only planet in the solar system that "spins the other way". whenever venus passes earth on the inside on their orbits around the sun, we always see the same surface of the planet it faces us and turns its head and looks back when it passes....as if venus likes us and is always watching us when we get close....or turning its back....

there are a few other examples of this Spin Orbit Couple.....mercury and the sun, planets and their moons (including ours) but venus-earth is a special case like that. There are physical explanations for that what they "think" is happening as the orbit couples are no coincidence.

WARPATH
11-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Well how about Venus and Earth's relationship with each other...venus is the only planet in the solar system that "spins the other way". whenever venus passes earth on the inside on their orbits around the sun, we always see the same surface of the planet it faces us and turns its head and looks back when it passes....as if venus likes us and is always watching us when we get close....or turning its back....

there are a few other examples of this Spin Orbit Couple.....mercury and the sun, planets and their moons (including ours) but venus-earth is a special case like that. There are physical explanations for that what they "think" is happening as the orbit couples are no coincidence.

A woman's moon time and her power of creation- her relationship with the moon- and the relationships between the heavenly bodies.

Perhaps studying astronomy is the key to our very existence. I mean that's why people have always been pondering this since the bone age.

V4D3R
11-21-2007, 11:03 PM

Our moon and the moon Iaptus have the same retro-grade spin.

hectis
11-25-2007, 03:41 PM
I think i want to take some astronmy classes in school next year?

V4D3R
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/images/d2/ic342.jpg

V4D3R
12-17-2007, 09:39 AM
http://www.skyfactory.org/vela/vela_ddemartin_www.skyfactory.org.jpg

V4D3R
12-17-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.kopfgeist.com/andere/blitze_sternwarte.jpg

V4D3R
12-17-2007, 09:42 AM
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/wallpaper3/heic0717a.jpg

LORD NOSE
10-06-2009, 04:59 PM
up

PALEHORSE
10-06-2009, 05:06 PM
nice tread i cant believe i missed this

haha
you feel my solar wind blowing?

diggy
10-06-2009, 09:43 PM
...whenever venus passes earth on the inside on their orbits around the sun, we always see the same surface of the planet it faces us and turns its head and looks back when it passes....as if venus likes us and is always watching us when we get close....or turning its back....

Also, the same surface of the moon is seen by all of us on earth.

IrOnMaN
10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/wallpaper3/heic0717a.jpg

WOW!! Two galaxies about to collide. Which two galaxies are these?

IrOnMaN
10-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Do you guys think that a mission to Mars is possible ten years from now? If you think so or not, explain why.

PALEHORSE
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
i think its been possible because there is advanced technology the public isnt privy to.

IrOnMaN
10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
i think its been possible because there is advanced technology the public isnt privy to.

Personally, I don't think it's possible AT ALL! I mean, think about it for a moment. Do you know why it hasn't be accomplished as of yet? It's simply because of 0 gravity. This is why long term space travel isn't possible.

Let me break it down to you.

Let say that the NASA aerospace engineers design a space shuttle that is way more advanced than the space shuttle of today and it can travel at a speed of 70,000 mph and has some internal gravity so the astronauts won't die. NASA sets a date when the astronauts and broad the space shuttle to go to Mars. NASA waits until earth and mars come close in their orbits and that's when NASA launches the space shuttle with the astronauts. Now, traveling at 70,000 in space, let's say it takes them, uh, one month to get their.

Ok. The astronauts are finally on mars. Here are MAJOR problems: Mars is much more smaller than earth in terms of size. Mars force of gravity is weaker than the force of gravity on earth. The temperature on mars and the quality of the air is different. Lets say that NASA has taken that into account. So, lets say that the astronauts landed on a warm part of mars. The astronauts explore the planet, collect samples, etc. Now, they want to communicate with mission control in Houston, TX. The problem with this is that the radio signals are going to take at least 40-50 minutes to get to Houston because the speed of light can only go up to 300,000,000 mph. So, communicating with mission control is going to be VERY difficult! So, the astronauts are going to know how to do things on their own. Now, if something were to go wrong, mission control wouldn't know about it until 45 minutes later.:dead:

Now, the astronauts are finished exploring mars. Now, they have to get home. By this time, earth and mars have orbited farther apart. NASA has calculated mars escape velocity. So, the only thing to do is blast off. One month and a half later, the astronauts have completed their mission and have made it home to earth. Now, the astronauts have to go directly to the hospital to undergo a series of exercise programs because they've been in a space shuttle for a month, on mars for three weeks, and back in space for a month and a half. Their bone density is probably at 50%.:dead:

This is not going to happen anytime soon.

PALEHORSE
10-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Personally, I don't think it's possible AT ALL! I mean, think about it for a moment. Do you know why it hasn't be accomplished as of yet? It's simply because of 0 gravity. This is why long term space travel isn't possible.

Let me break it down to you.

Let say that the NASA aerospace engineers design a space shuttle that is way more advanced than the space shuttle of today and it can travel at a speed of 70,000 mph and has some internal gravity so the astronauts won't die. NASA sets a date when the astronauts and broad the space shuttle to go to Mars. NASA waits until earth and mars come close in their orbits and that's when NASA launches the space shuttle with the astronauts. Now, traveling at 70,000 in space, let's say it takes them, uh, one month to get their.

Ok. The astronauts are finally on mars. Here are MAJOR problems: Mars is much more smaller than earth in terms of size. Mars force of gravity is weaker than the force of gravity on earth. The temperature on mars and the quality of the air is different. Lets say that NASA has taken that into account. So, lets say that the astronauts landed on a warm part of mars. The astronauts explore the planet, collect samples, etc. Now, they want to communicate with mission control in Houston, TX. The problem with this is that the radio signals are going to take at least 40-50 minutes to get to Houston because the speed of light can only go up to 300,000,000 mph. So, communicating with mission control is going to be VERY difficult! So, the astronauts are going to know how to do things on their own. Now, if something were to go wrong, mission control wouldn't know about it until 45 minutes later.:dead:

Now, the astronauts are finished exploring mars. Now, they have to get home. By this time, earth and mars have orbited farther apart. NASA has calculated mars escape velocity. So, the only thing to do is blast off. One month and a half later, the astronauts have completed their mission and have made it home to earth. Now, the astronauts have to go directly to the hospital to undergo a series of exercise programs because they've been in a space shuttle for a month, on mars for three weeks, and back in space for a month and a half. Their bone density is probably at 50%.:dead:

This is not going to happen anytime soon.

but if you have the technology to create your own independant antigravity field......

Prolifical ENG
10-11-2009, 06:41 PM
New Saturn Discovery

http://tech.ca.msn.com/photogallery.aspx?cp-documentid=22140330

NASA discovers largest ring around Saturn

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope (shown, left, in construction) has discovered the largest ring around Saturn. Why did it take so long to find something so big? The answer is that the ring is very tenuous, made up of a sparse collection of ice and dust particles. If you could transport yourself to the ring, you wouldn't even know you were there because the particles are so far apart. There's not a lot of sunlight out at Saturn, so this small density of particles doesn't reflect much visible light. Spitzer was able to spot the band because it sees infrared light, or heat radiation, from objects. Even though the ring material is very cold, it still gives off heat that can Spitzer can see.

diggy
10-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Thirty-two planets have been discovered outside Earth's solar system through the use of a high-precision instrument installed at a Chilean telescope, an international team announced Monday.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/10/19/space.new.planets/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Visionz
10-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Thirty-two planets have been discovered outside Earth's solar system through the use of a high-precision instrument installed at a Chilean telescope, an international team announced Monday.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/10/19/space.new.planets/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
this article uses a term I've never heard before,

metal-deficient star

outside of the obvious, can anyone shed some light on what's up with them?

diggy
10-20-2009, 02:50 AM
I think it is a star that has very little or no heavy elements in it or produced by it. Like if you look at the table of elements starting with hydrogen... the further down the list you go, the heavier the elements get.

Stars that are metal deficient must be made of elements found near the top of the list - the ones with the fewest protons (I think).

http://www.spaceref.ca/news/viewpr.html?pid=16626

Visionz
10-20-2009, 03:17 AM
I think it is a star that has very little or no heavy elements in it or produced by it. Like if you look at the table of elements starting with hydrogen... the further down the list you go, the heavier the elements get.

Stars that are metal deficient must be made of elements found near the top of the list - the ones with the fewest protons (I think).

http://www.spaceref.ca/news/viewpr.html?pid=16626
From reading that article it appears that the less heavy metals a star has relates to when it was formed in relation to the big bang. With the very first stars created theoretically having almost no metal in them (though it doesn't seem that they've actually identified one up to this point)

interesting

Teh KillaBee
10-20-2009, 12:35 PM
1) In 2004 I sat outside a lot and studied the sky for hours almost every night. Mars is the most beautiful thing to look at on a clear night.

2) People would realize how bad their eyesight really is by star gazing. I can see the stars very good in the Kananaskis Mountains in the Rockies here near Calgary. City Dwellers don't know what they are missing.

3) Here's a question: Is the universe expanding or is the universe coming back together?
4) The Creator told a man that the Big Bang would reverse itself and we will all come back together in unison with the All.

1) during that time mars was exceptionally close to earth, basically on even years we approach and pass mars, otherwise saturn, pleadies, venus, and Jupiter both present excellent viewing.

2) I've haven't lived in a 'city' for about 6 years, it's depressing to not have the stars to look at

3) I'd like to think that the big bang is a cycling process, big bang, rapid expansion to cosmic crunch. repeat.

4) no such thing

Teh KillaBee
10-20-2009, 03:22 PM

to date there are over 200 (might be 300) exoplanets, so far only one has been identified as a 'terrestrial' sized........it's estimated that it is 1.9 earth masses

Teh KillaBee
10-22-2009, 11:46 AM
if you don't already get these you def should. All free podcasts, I'll post as many links as I can.

Spitzer: http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/podcasts/index.shtml
Chandra X-Ray: http://www.chandra.harvard.edu/resources/podcasts/
New Horizons Mission: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/index.php
Hubble Space Telescope: http://hubblesite.org/
Homepage for ESA: http://www.spacetelescope.org/
Super pwn collection of merging galaxies: http://www.spacetelescope.org/goodies/mergingGalaxiesSite/mergingGalaxies.html
Mysterious Universe, whole's pretty pwn too. DL their podcasts: http://mysteriousuniverse.org/

Teh KillaBee
10-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Question: What else do you think they'll discover when New Horizon's mission reaches the Kuiper Belt?

diggy
10-22-2009, 09:05 PM
How about some more planets?

Prolifical ENG
11-24-2009, 08:52 PM
http://www.stellarium.org/

Might be the best available free computer planetarium software. I dont know if you can switch it so you arent stationed at paris though.

PALEHORSE
11-24-2009, 09:01 PM
this is the program i use when i study astrological alignments

http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog.htm

diggy
11-24-2009, 09:52 PM
http://www.stellarium.org/

Might be the best available free computer planetarium software. I dont know if you can switch it so you arent stationed at paris though.

Yes, you can switch it.

I also use Celestia, which shows things from an outer space perspective. You could see the solar system.

diggy
01-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Nasa's Kepler Space Telescope has detected its first five exoplanets, or planets beyond our Solar System.

The observatory, which was launched last year to find other Earths, made the discoveries in its first few weeks of science operations.
Although the new worlds are all bigger than our Neptune, the US space agency says the haul shows the telescope is working well and is very sensitive.

The exoplanets have been given the names Kepler 4b, 5b, 6b, 7b and 8b.
They were announced at an American Astronomical Society meeting in Washington DC.

The planets range in size from an object that has a radius four times that of Earth, to worlds much bigger than even our Jupiter.
And they all circle very close to their parent stars, following orbits that range from about 3.2 to 4.9 days.

This proximity and the fact that the host stars are themselves much hotter than our Sun means Kepler's new exoplanets experience an intense roasting...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8440392.stm

diggy
01-05-2010, 01:05 AM
New images of Mars suggest the Red Planet had large lakes on its surface as recently as three billion years ago.

The evidence comes from Nasa's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) which spied a series of depressions linked by what look like drainage channels.
Scientists tell the journal Geology that the features bear the hallmarks of being produced by liquid water.

But they appear to have formed much later in Mars' history than many thought possible, the researchers add.

The team, from Imperial and University Colleges London, studied pictures of several flat-floored depressions located above Ares Vallis, a giant gorge running some 2,000km across Mars' equator.
The hollows are about 20km in diameter...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8439657.stm

diggy
03-02-2010, 02:48 AM
A radar experiment aboard India's Chandrayaan-1 lunar spacecraft has identified thick deposits of water ice near the Moon's north pole.

The US space agency's (Nasa) Mini-Sar experiment found more than 40 small craters containing water ice.

But other compounds - such as hydrocarbons - are mixed up in lunar ice, according to new results from another lunar mission called LCROSS.
The findings were presented at a major planetary science conference in Texas...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8544635.stm

Uncle Steezo
03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
mmm mmmm....
there will be more.
this is them easing us in to the reality of life elsewhere.
"Now we can say with a fair degree of confidence that a sustainable human presence on the Moon is possible. It's possible using the resources we find there...

"The results from these missions, that we have seen in the last few months, are totally revolutionizing our view of the Moon."

water- we find a lot of water, its suggested that there is "much much more" than water.

hole- we find an opening to a lavatube that leads to caverns and caves. its theorized that WE could build a BASE in there.

hydrocarbon-we find molecules that are associated with FOSSIL fuels. its theorized that we could SUSTAIN on the moon.

next will be bacteria and organic molecules. people will say the probe contaminated the moon.

diggy
03-02-2010, 09:43 PM
mmm mmmm....
there will be more.
this is them easing us in to the reality of life elsewhere.

I agree.

BTTR KNG KOOL
04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Strongest Geomagnetic Storm Hits Earth

A sudden geomagnetic storm, the strongest in the past 18 months, was caused by the Sun.
The geomagnetic storm that began on April 5 still continues, although it is subsiding. The maximum strength is most likely over. The storm has reached geomagnetic K-index 7 out of 10, the strongest in the past 540 days, since October 2008.

According to a warning issued by Russian scientists on the website of the space observatory Tesis, the storm of such strength may “affect global power systems requiring voltage correction and cause false security systems alarms.” Spacecrafts may be damaged, as well as communication systems and satellite navigation systems. Northern Lights will be observed even in midlatitudes. Acute cardiovascular diseases are not ruled out.
It is hard to say how exactly the planet was damaged. Exceptionally bright Northern Lights were observed from the orbit by astronauts working at the ISS. Japanese member of the team Soiti Noguti even took a picture of this bright sight. In the picture, the station looks like it is floating in outbursts of fire.
The scientists were surprised that there were no precursors for this strong geomagnetic storm. It was caused by certain processes on rather quiet Sun. For instance, on April 3 there was an outburst on the Sun, but it was so weak that it was not even paid much attention to. Yet, the outburst did not subside quickly as it usually happens but lasted for over seven hours. It was catastrophically long and it was not considered in the forecasts.
Scientists stated that “a huge energy that was to be released during the outburst was underestimated. In general, the incident shows that the connection between outbursts on the Sun and emissions of solar matter that causes geomagnetic storms cannot be considered a solved issue of solar physics.”
The beginning of the storm was rather weak. Later the state of magnetosphere radically changed.
Geomagnetic K-index reflecting geomagnetic fluctuations has increased from 4 to 7 in 3 hours. According to the American classification, it was G3 storm, a strong one, of the last, red, level of danger.
It is hardly likely that the cataclysm will repeat, but it cannot be ruled out completely. Unpredictability of the Sun is scary. The shocking scenario described by specialists of the American Academy of Sciences does not look that unrealistic. In the report “ Severe Space Weather Events--Understanding Societal and Economic Impacts: A Workshop Report (http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12507)” they predict maximum solar activity by 2012 and, respectively, strongest outbursts and geomagnetic storms. They envisage that fluctuations will damage high-voltage power lines and transformer substations, which will leave the planet without electricity.
Unfortunately, this is not that unrealistic. Similar damages, if not even worse ones (remember "2012" movie), can be caused by long stronger outbursts of 7 hours.

Komsomolskaya Pravda (http://kp.ru/)