PDA

View Full Version : Why is Spike Lee so underrated

the surgeon
08-04-2005, 09:09 AM
I mean he's made some classic films and he still dosen't get any credit at all whats the reason 4 this?

tekunique
08-04-2005, 04:14 PM
I mean he's made some classic films and he still dosen't get any credit at all whats the reason 4 this? lol.. what you mean son.. he gets nuff respect. he has his own signature style and gets mad love.. 25th Hour was his latest which was directed by him not written but was accepted well.

Undead Ninja
08-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Do the right thing was the shit...

RZA 2003
08-05-2005, 08:12 AM
25th Hour was his latest .actually "She Hate Me" was his latest

G.O.D.PT3
08-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Do the right thing was the shit...
INDEED, , CLOCKERS, MALCOLM X, CROOKLYN , HE GOT GAME, NEW JERSEY DRIVE (EXECUTIVE) AND MANY MORE FLICKS THAT ARE DOPE. SPIKE IS DEFFINATLY THE

JOHNNY_TICAL
08-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Is It The Shoes??

tekunique
08-05-2005, 09:34 AM
actually "She Hate Me" was his latest word.. i didnt hear about this at all.. seems like its in the likeness of "Girl 6" which wasnt too good. how was it anyway ?

the surgeon
08-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Bamboozled wit Mos Def,Jada Pinket and damon wayans was dope along wid do the right thing,jungle fever,clockers,malcolm x i could go on 4 ages my point is he hasn't even won an academy award or nothing it takes the piss.BTW Denzel Washington should of won it 4 Malcolm X but he got screwed out of that.

Fr@z
08-05-2005, 11:46 AM
http://forumspam.articblue.nl/post_related/whocares/images/0762.jpg

the surgeon
08-05-2005, 07:47 PM
gd 4 u then fucking shit eater

Fr@z
08-05-2005, 07:55 PM
http://forumspam.articblue.nl/user_related/stfu/images/0403.jpg

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
08-05-2005, 08:25 PM
http://forumspam.articblue.nl/user_related/stfu/images/0403.jpg

very fucking funny (no really)

i watched son of sam on the box and that was decent, he gets my props

sam stoepee
08-06-2005, 11:41 AM
I dont think hes under rated at all, he gets mad respect, and lets put his films in perspective, they are good but he hasnt had one great film in my opinion with the exception of maybe malcom x.

JOHNNY_TICAL
08-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Its Got 2 Be The Shoes.. !

Create
08-06-2005, 05:51 PM
He Malkes Great Commercials

RynMur
08-07-2005, 03:42 AM
He gets recognition

dns
08-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Favorite Spike movie in no order:

X (powerful)

Crooklyn (watch this over and over to the VCR tape pop)

Clockers (starting a movie showing real dead bodies is too vivid)

He Got Game

25th Hour (got the DVD)

Bamboozled (ending was crazy)

Do The Right Thing

ShaDynasty
12-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Spike Lee is rated about correctly, a lot of his films are genuinely brilliant. On the other hand hes made: School Daze, Malcolm X, Girl 6, Bamboozled, She Hate Me etc. All of which are horrendously flawed. What I can say is that even his bad films are visually interesting enough that I could watch them more than once.

hide1998
12-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Spike Lee is rated about correctly, a lot of his films are genuinely brilliant. On the other hand hes made: School Daze, Malcolm X

You lost right there. Sorry, an intelligent argument can't be made for that film being "horrendously flawed," as you put it. Quite a few dumb ones can, but an intelligent one, nope.

ShaDynasty
12-17-2008, 02:07 PM
How about its way too long and its message gets lost because of it. Or its full of racial stereotypes. Or it should have been about Civil Rights and not a biopic because its not as interesting a story and Malcolm comes off as a massive hypocrite. And I just didn't like it that much. That being said, it has some good points: Denzels performance, beautiful cinematography etc. Who needs an intelligent argument? its just not one of his better films.

oDoUoSoKo
12-17-2008, 02:26 PM
agreed^ and i think hes a stubborn cat too, bit of a Jackass...so that can overshadow his films at times.

TSA
12-17-2008, 02:27 PM
cause he married a white bitch, making all his work uncredible.

hide1998
12-17-2008, 04:01 PM
How about its way too long and its message gets lost because of it. Or its full of racial stereotypes. Or it should have been about Civil Rights and not a biopic because its not as interesting a story and Malcolm comes off as a massive hypocrite. And I just didn't like it that much. That being said, it has some good points: Denzels performance, beautiful cinematography etc. Who needs an intelligent argument? its just not one of his better films.

I think you missed the point of the film to a certain extent. Malcolm coming off as a "massive hyporcrite" has more to do with him changing his philosophy later in life. That has ZERO to do with any faults of the film, and more to do with the man himself (which, in my opinion, was an admirable change). Furthermore, it's asinine to say what film SHOULD have been about (i.e. a film on civil rights) when, from the very beginning, it was clear the film was about Malcolm X the man. There are plenty of films that focus on civil rights, so if that's what you'd rather see you can pick up one of SEVERAL of those. But as far as a film about Malcolm X the man, X does a terrific job. Love or hate him (Spike Lee, I mean), he captured the essence of Malcolm better than most could. Even Malcolm X's family co-sign the film, which pretty much make it an OFFICIAL Malcolm X piece.

As stated before, an intelligent argument can't be made for the film being "horrendously flawed," unless you want to mangle the definition of the word "horrendous" to mean "slightly" or something to that degree.

CharlesJones
12-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Miracle At St. Anna was Spike's latest flick and it came out a few months ago. I didn't wanna see it because i don't like war flicks that much but it has some good actors in it like Derek Luke, Kerry Washington, Michael Ealy, Omar Benson. She Hate Me movie sucked but it had some good actors and watching Kerry Washington get fucked was what i wanted to see LOL. I love Kerry. She is so hot and she looked so sexy in Chris Rock's I Think I Love My Wife movie. Spike has a lot of enemies because he speaks his mind and people don't like his opinion. I guess that's why he's underrated and he hasn't won any academy awards. He definitely should've won one for best director for Malcolm X. Do The Right Thing and Jungle Fever are my favorites of his.

CharlesJones
12-17-2008, 04:11 PM
I wanna know what happened to Tracy Camilla Johns who starred in Spike's She's Gotta Have It movie. She disappeared after New Jack City movie. She was the one in New Jack who Wesley Snipes fucked and she was Allen Payne's girl LOL.

ShaDynasty
12-31-2008, 10:05 AM
I think you missed the point of the film to a certain extent. Malcolm coming off as a "massive hyporcrite" has more to do with him changing his philosophy later in life. That has ZERO to do with any faults of the film, and more to do with the man himself (which, in my opinion, was an admirable change). Furthermore, it's asinine to say what film SHOULD have been about (i.e. a film on civil rights) when, from the very beginning, it was clear the film was about Malcolm X the man. There are plenty of films that focus on civil rights, so if that's what you'd rather see you can pick up one of SEVERAL of those. But as far as a film about Malcolm X the man, X does a terrific job. Love or hate him (Spike Lee, I mean), he captured the essence of Malcolm better than most could. Even Malcolm X's family co-sign the film, which pretty much make it an OFFICIAL Malcolm X piece.

As stated before, an intelligent argument can't be made for the film being "horrendously flawed," unless you want to mangle the definition of the word "horrendous" to mean "slightly" or something to that degree.
I understood the film fine thank you, for christs sake it is called Malcolm X. I just think it was flawed horrendously for the reasons I mentioned. Its just a difference of opinion and I'm sure other people saw the film and thought it was too long and didn't focus on perhaps the right aspects of Xs life. I'm not saying Malcolm X isn't entitled to be a hypocrite but I think it would have benefitted from a much leaner, focussed story.

BIG D O
01-02-2009, 01:24 AM
cause he pulls no punches in his movies and they're usually very realistic and layered with complex storylines, characters and plots......

Spike Lee>>>>>

Olive Oil Goombah
01-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Spike Lee gets plenty of recognition. he is like any other great director. He has his great movies and his shitty ones but he's got his own style.

And someone said he made Malcolm X come off as a hypocrite. Well, Malcolm X WAS pretty much a hypocrite if you look at his whole life, but he pretty much led about 4 seperate lives. Pretty good movie, it followed the Autobiography pretty well.

staliondan23
01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
He Got Game, and Son of Sam i liked..

Just recently saw "Do The Right Thing." Can someone tell me what positive message this had?? I thought it was bullshit.. Towards the end two black guys go into a pizza place blaring their radio demanding they put a picture of a black man on the wall (its an italian restaurant, how many famous black italians are out there?) ...once the two black guys refuse to turn off the radio in his establishment when they're are trying to close the place..The owner smashes the radio with a bat (I would have done the same thing)...then because the owner uses the N word, the black people of the community burn the place down???...what the fuck is that??

beautifulrock
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Spike Lee is a fine director, but he keeps using the same filming techniques (The thing where he speeds up the frames while a person is standing on a camera stand, overuse of color filters, etc.) ad nauseum. Take a director like Darren Aronofsky, he has about half a dozen films to his credit, and they are all filmed differently, in a unique way. He doesn't stick to the same tricks because they look cool.