PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Hard Drives

WuTangWarrior
11-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Wuttup corp,
im retarted when it comes to next-gen consoles. Im thinking of buying a ps3 but i wanna know what the hell the deal is with 40GB hard drives and 80GB hard drives. Whats the advantage of having a bigger hard drive? Like what is it used for storing? Music, movies, etc? Does a game save take up a GB or some shit? Enlighten me fellaz...

peace

WUHEADSINCE93
11-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Wuttup corp,
im retarted when it comes to next-gen consoles. Im thinking of buying a ps3 but i wanna know what the hell the deal is with 40GB hard drives and 80GB hard drives. Whats the advantage of having a bigger hard drive? Like what is it used for storing? Music, movies, etc? Does a game save take up a GB or some shit? Enlighten me fellaz...

peace

PlayStation 3 (PS3) 60GB version

The 60 gigabyte PlayStation 3 is one of the originals, alongside the 20GB model, and is my pick for the best PS3 to buy.
The 60GB features everything the 80GB model does and has one key advantage: the Emotion Engine.
The Emotion Engine is the brains behind the PS2. The 60GB and 20GB PS3s have one built in, the 80GB version does not. This means that the 60GB version of the PS3 is fully backwards compatible with PS2 and PSone games. The 80GB version is only partially so. The 60GB version of the PS3 is currently on sale and will not be continued once the existing stock is sold-out. Buy it while you still can.

PlayStation 3 (PS3) 80GB version

The 80GB PlayStation 3 is the newest version, and once existing 60GB and 20GB PS3s are sold-out, will be the only version.
The 80GB version is identical to the 60GB version, only with a larger hard drive and no Emotion engine. Both PS3s have built in WiFi and flash card readers, allowing you to transfer photos, videos, and music easily to the PS3.
The 80GB PS3 also comes bundled with a copy of the game Motorstorm, an excellent off-road racing game. The 80 GB PS3 is approximately 80% backwards compatible, meaning that 1 in 5 PS2/PSone games will not work on it. If you only care about new games, this is the version to get.

Bottom Line

All three versions of the PlayStation 3 are solid performers. The 60GB version is my overall pick due to the fact that it does everything the 80GB version does and plays more PlayStation 2 and PSone games.
If you don't care about older PlayStation games then the 80GB version comes with a bigger hard drive and a free game. Finally, if you have no desire to use wireless Internet and do not plan to download any games, the 20GB version may suffice, but I'd invest in either the 60GB or 80GB PS3, just to be safe.

Bloo
11-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Might I also add that if the 60GB isn't available in your area anymore then definately get the 80GB. Not because the hard drive is bigger, but because the 40GB PS3 is cheaper for more reasons then just having a smaller hard drive. Two main changes being.

1. Two USB ports as opposed to the 4 on the 80GB model.

2. And most important, it is NOT backwards compattable. Meaning if you have any PS2 or PS1 games, you might as well sell them because it will not play them.

So yeah, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $100 and get the better version.

Visionz
11-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Might I also add that if the 60GB isn't available in your area anymore then definately get the 80GB. Not because the hard drive is bigger, but because the 40GB PS3 is cheaper for more reasons then just having a smaller hard drive. Two main changes being.

1. Two USB ports as opposed to the 4 on the 80GB model.

2. And most important, it is NOT backwards compattable. Meaning if you have any PS2 or PS1 games, you might as well sell them because it will not play them.

So yeah, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $100 and get the better version.What are the chances of someone making a hacked emulator to run older PS games on the 40gig? The PS3 runs a Linux OS right?

BRONZBODY
12-01-2007, 12:58 AM
What are the chances of someone making a hacked emulator to run older PS games on the 40gig? The PS3 runs a Linux OS right?
right. i havnt done it myself but ive seen mame run on ps3 so i dont see any reason why emulated ps one or ps2 games cant be emulated.

btw you can switch the hdd's on theese things and it does not void the warranty

WuTangWarrior
12-01-2007, 01:49 AM
i think the 40GB is right for me then since i have no interest in playing old games...

Wu-Tality
12-01-2007, 10:36 AM
It also uses less power, if you're into the environment and electrical bills haha (40GB version)

Bloo
12-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Yeah that is true. And Bronz is right too, You can use any HDD (SATA) in the PS3 so linux is an option if you have the means. I'm sure the CPU in the PS3 is strong enough to emulate PS2 games too, definately PS1 games. It's just a matter of having someone write a decent emulator now.