PDA

View Full Version : The Mars Volta

oDoUoSoKo
11-27-2007, 10:16 PM
who likes some of their stuff....i know they recieve alot of critiscism..but, they are not bad....Omar is a good Guitar player....so............?

Revengahit
11-27-2007, 10:44 PM
the mars volta is the shit.. When i first heard them i hated them because of the singer but once imy ears adapted i realized that thi9s band is great. From what ive heard deloused int the comatorium is my fav album from them hopefully there next cd bedlam which comes out injan is as good as deloused. Their last cd tetragammon or whatever it was was good just too dark no light /[happy sounding tracks everything just had a gloomy feel to it or crazy jam which they do alot..

but omar rodriguez is ahead of his time imo as a guitarist they way he plays and mixes aslot of salsa/latin sounding rhythms in rock ..i have a feeling there going to make a great cd soon thats going to crossover alot of genres if they keep going

Pink Floyd fans...i would say this is a modern day pink floyd sounding band the way there songs cary in lenght and change ...check em out

Albums:
deloused in the comatorium
Frances the mute
tetragametron?
bedlam conming out soon

Songs to check out:
cicatriz(from deloused) my fav from them
miranda this ghost isnt holy anymore (its got the coqui in the beginning--puerto rican frog sound)
televators
roullete dares and some songs off of tetragammon the first few songs and the slow one in spanish one of their nicest songs with the flamenco guitars

KIND
11-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah I've got there last album Amputechture (http://www.amazon.com/Amputechture-Mars-Volta/dp/B000GPI1BO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196222574&sr=1-2) this past summer. that shit is nice, I had given up on Rock music all together untill I got hip to them.

John Frusciante plays on Amputechture as well

U can here Frusciante dropping in on Unpredictable from 8D which when I heard I immediately thought of Mars Volta

crust
11-28-2007, 12:19 AM
.....oh you mean at the drive in?

yeah they're alright.

Revengahit
11-28-2007, 12:51 AM
mars volta are what came after at drive in broke up teheyre two different bands..at the drive in had two guitarists mars has one and they have differnet sounding albums..at the drive in had more punk based rock experimental songs whereas mars vota are rock /progressive/slasa/weird sounding experimental band.

You probably know about the the two bands ..but im just saying mars volta sound really different.Well except forr the singer although he changes it up alot more now.

crust
11-28-2007, 01:40 AM
^^^oh yeah no doubt, both at the drive in and mars volta really good bands. escpically live. http://panther1.last.fm/coverart/300x300/1412774-1085608425.jpg
http://www.valladolidwebmusical.org/imprescindibles/mars_volta_frances_the_mute.jpg

oDoUoSoKo
11-28-2007, 09:35 PM
One arm scissor is my shit...at the drive in does float my boat as much as Volta...different sounds and approaches...and btw Frusciante is on Deloused as well....and flea plays bass on 9 of the 10 songs.

Revengahit
12-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah.

I knew Frusciante and flea were on that cd.Yeah from what i 've heard so far deloused is my favorite. Speaking about Frusciante i wonder how manyt tracks he did on 8 diagrams, because he is featured for being on heart gently weeps but on windmill that sounds like his tone alot, and that track to me is one of my favorites on the album. I wonder if hes playing hte guitar on Unpredictable but something tells me hes not. I could be wrong.I also wanted to hear the other track he was supposed to be on Cant Stop Us Now. Hopefully that gets leaked.

Yeah I want to get the Omar Rodriguez solo cd's but from what i heard wi i wasnt liking ti too much but idk maybe ill buy em one day and check them out.

I also heard Frusciante's coming out witha solo soon , his solo suff is good but mostly sad songs .Hopefully he changes it up with this one.

oDoUoSoKo
12-02-2007, 08:30 PM
he was supposed to drop them very close to each other...his last and his next...but ya Omar is good, and he does the solo on Especially in Michigan on Stad. Arcad.

Sunlit Shadow
12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
anyone heard about Bedlam in Goliath?

apparently it came about after Omar went to Israel and brought back some Soothsayer that is similar to Ouija...the band almost lost their mind and they had to bury it.

some lyrics from sessions were used...the end results of the album is a band trying to break some sort of hex

check out ''goliath'' ..not sure if this is final master but this shit is crazy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09VUT6MrCKc

oDoUoSoKo
12-12-2007, 09:14 PM
isnt that their newest?

Nick Fury
12-12-2007, 09:56 PM
mars volta >>>>> sparta

TUCO
12-12-2007, 10:32 PM
blah
another excuse to throw random sounds together and pass it off as abstract rock

Revengahit
12-13-2007, 10:59 AM
yeah.. i mean your opinion. but i disagree. I mean they do have their low points. I just hope their new cd has better songs then what ive heard before goliath sounds alright acutally sounds like their leaning to mainstream a little bit lol.

Cedrics changing the pitch of his voice more which is good for people that can't understand him, but sometimes i hate their lyrics like on amputechtechture or whatever that album was called.

Sunlit Shadow
12-13-2007, 11:36 AM
isnt that their newest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09VUT6MrCKc

that vid is a song from the newest album...i don't know what the final master will sound like since this one has an intermission

here is an interesting interview about the album:

The Mars Volta have revealed to kerrang that the making of their new album The Bedlam In Goliath was hampered by bad luck caused by a gift guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez gave frontman Cedric Bixler-Zavala after a trip to Jerusalem. “I went to Jerusalem on a whim after we made the Amputechture record,” explains Rodriguez-Lopez. “I brought something like a Ouija board for Cedric and he brought it out on tour when we played with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. “We started fucking around with it for fun”, he adds “A being with three voices- who we called Goliath- started talking to us. The voices belonged to an older woman, the daughter of that woman and a man in a love triangle that ended in some sort of tragedy. They asked us for small things like rum then started asking to trade places with us and crazy things we thought we were imagining. We took it in jest at first and then all these horrible things started happening to us. We had technical problems during the making of the record and my engineer had a nervous breakdown and lost his mind. He stated telling me how I was trying to drive people crazy with my music and that he wasn’t going to be part of it. He told me that this was an evil record, even though he knew nothing about the things we were talking about now.”

Here the guitarist gives us an in-depth account into how flirtations with the paranormal shaped the prog-rockers’ fourth studio album and almost caused him to scrap songs and start the album from scratch.

How did you all react to this when you first started using it?
Omar: “At first we were intrigued, it was just that morbid curiosity that we all have I mean, some people are probably turned off by the idea in general, some people only believe in science while others believe in God and spirituality and everything else we don’t understand. For us, we just had that morbid curiosity because we’ve lost dear, close friends and it’s just sort of the instinct inside of you that thinks; well maybe we can get some of the unanswered questions that we don’t have. That curiosity turned into the interest in contacting something until we found ourselves in a situation that we couldn’t get out of. We were quite frankly scared for a while.”

Did it become a daily thing after a while?
Omar: “It got too serious, so I broke the board and I took a plane ticket somewhere and I buried it. The curse- or whatever you want to call it- just kept following us. We just took the understanding that the only way we could make it stop was by finishing the record because it seemed like the record didn’t want to be completed. It kept falling apart at every turn. We lost complete tracks that I had been working on for a month straight. I’ll never let Cedric know where I buried the board. I don’t want anything to do with it ever again!”

How has this experience affected the lyrical content of the record?
Omar: “I guess just the experience of wanting to break free. I know Cedric took a lot of the little sayings that we found along the way, especially during the beginning of it before it got so serious. We think that’s kind of what triggered it to be so dark and negative, was when he started using some of the sayings and some of the words as song titles and as a form of his own automatic writing. The board started to come apart and we found papers inside that had poems on them which seemed like traditional poems. Cedric incorporated them into the lyrics. We were messing with something that we shouldn’t have been messing with.”

Did you feel cursed?
Omar: “Well Cedric had to have surgery on his foot, my studio flooded twice while we were making the records and the engineer lost his mind. Tracks kept disappearing and being shuffled around and things that just weren’t explainable to us in a technical sense.”

Did you record entirely at your home studio?
Omar: “Yes for the most part. The very, very beginning was in Los Angeles but the bulk of the work was done at my home studio in New York.”

What technical problems did you face?
Omar: “I captured all theses drum tracks and bass tracks in Los Angeles and I brought them all back to New York to work on. By the time I got to New York and I tried to start to piece the record together, everything was in complete chaos. There was no order to anything, all the notes I had made and entire takes were missing. I had to make it from scraps that were left and listening to hours and hours- two weeks, basically-of material which was completely out of order! I had no way to reference what was coming from where and I just had to listen to every single piece of material from scratch as if we were tracking it all over again. It was fucked up.”

That must have driven you crazy!
Omar: “I wanted to quit. I wanted to start over again and make a different record. But we reasoned that we had to finish the record and get rid of the curse we’d brought on ourselves. It was the best feeling in the world when we turned the album over to the label. I knew it was in a form where nothing could escape, nothing could be erased or disappear. Everything seems calm now. It just seemed that every day somebody –or something-was fighting against us so that the record wouldn’t be made.”

How would you describe the bedlam in Goliath?
Omar: “I think it’s our most aggressive output to date. It literally felt like I was playing for my life or for my sanity or something. I was playing to claw my way out of what seemed like an endless trip there during that record.”

oDoUoSoKo
12-13-2007, 07:43 PM
im not gonna hear it...screw that...

KINGGS
03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
I like their new album, but man does pitchfork love to shit on them...lol

oDoUoSoKo
03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
their new album is my fav.