PDA

View Full Version : Dead Presidents

urbanlegend
11-29-2007, 11:07 AM
I always wondered this and never really figured out why Jay-Z put Dead Presidents II with changed lyrics on his albums as opposed to Dead Presidents (the track that the videos was done for - different lyrics).

Anyone know what's up?

Oztradamus
11-29-2007, 11:44 AM
They're both equally dope.. I especially enjoy the 1st version :D

urbanlegend
11-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Word, but why 2 lyrically variant versions when he kept the same beat and the same chorus?

buckshotstheone
11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
cause he's just that good......

honestly i've heard varying stories about it, how he didn't like the first version, blah blah blah. for me the first version is better but whatever it is what it is......be happy you got 2 joints, and if you got a chance check out the "87 State of Mind" mixtape, it combines both versions plus the 3rd all in one track....pretty dope

urbanlegend
11-29-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm not upset at having 2, I love the song probably one of my favourite tracks from Jay (even though I'm not a Jay fan by any means). I just can't get the original in CD format anywhere (hard to find the 12").

Anyone know if it's on any other albums?

buckshotstheone
11-29-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm not upset at having 2, I love the song probably one of my favourite tracks from Jay (even though I'm not a Jay fan by any means). I just can't get the original in CD format anywhere (hard to find the 12").

Anyone know if it's on any other albums?

Dead Presidents cd-single shows up on ebay every once in a while

if you don't wanna waste the time hit me up

urbanlegend
11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah I see it on eBay but the shipping for a disc at 7-9$ being 9-10$ is retarded.

Anyway, what are you saying then?

buckshotstheone
11-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah I see it on eBay but the shipping for a disc at 7-9$ being 9-10$ is retarded.

Anyway, what are you saying then?

i'm saying i got the original if you need it

urbanlegend
11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
what format bro?

buckshotstheone
11-29-2007, 11:13 PM
mp3

urbanlegend
11-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Zeen. Hook it up? :)

Edgar Erebus
11-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I always wondered this and never really figured out why Jay-Z put Dead Presidents II with changed lyrics on his albums as opposed to Dead Presidents (the track that the videos was done for - different lyrics).

Anyone know what's up?

It's this. Jay was all hyped because Dead Presidents II was supposed to be a real collabo with Nas, so Jay changed his lyrics so that they could match Nas' Escobar status at the moment. Unfortunately Nas ain't done came (weed prolly), and it was too late to cancel the song or change it from beginning, so Jay basically freestyled last two verses (y'all probably noticed they're much weaker than first verse) and put it on the album.

It's also the reason tensions between Jay and Nas started.

urbanlegend
11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
It's this. Jay was all hyped because Dead Presidents II was supposed to be a real collabo with Nas, so Jay changed his lyrics so that they could match Nas' Escobar status at the moment. Unfortunately Nas ain't done came (weed prolly), and it was too late to cancel the song or change it from beginning, so Jay basically freestyled last two verses (y'all probably noticed they're much weaker than first verse) and put it on the album.

I heard that because Nas didn't do the track with Jay, and Jay's camp thought it was easier to pay the label for the sample as opposed to paying and getting Nas on the song, they said fuck Nas and did the sample instead and this lead to the tensions.

Oztradamus
11-30-2007, 07:00 PM

Acutally this is false..

Jigga wanted Nas to appear on the video, that's about it..It would've been ill if you think about it.. NaS, AZ, Jigga and Biggie playing Monopoly @ the end of the video LOL

They were supposed to collabo on "Can I Live" but NaS just never showed to the studio, this is according to Irv Gotti.. I remember reading this on XXL's "Making of Resonable Doubt"

urbanlegend
12-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Acutally this is false..

Jigga wanted Nas to appear on the video, that's about it..It would've been ill if you think about it.. NaS, AZ, Jigga and Biggie playing Monopoly @ the end of the video LOL

They were supposed to collabo on "Can I Live" but NaS just never showed to the studio, this is according to Irv Gotti.. I remember reading this on XXL's "Making of Resonable Doubt"

Got any links or any scans to back this up? I'd love to read up on it.

Oztradamus
12-02-2007, 12:53 PM
^ I'll try to look for the magazine in my stash and post up a scan, whenever I can :)