PDA

View Full Version : Is Ras Kass' Soul on Ice underrated?

GENERAL WISE
12-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Well is it? Imho its the most underrated west coast hip hop album, slightly more so than 93' til infinity.

Longbongcilvaringz
12-05-2007, 07:39 AM
no,

everyone whos heard it thinks its banutso

urbanlegendmf
12-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Ras Kass Is The Man

venex
12-05-2007, 09:52 AM
yeah definately...

it's not an album I can listen to constantly, but you can't deny ras kass's lyriscism and the beats are dope...

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-05-2007, 09:53 AM
perhaps...can not be sure, becuz most of the beats aren't really classic

lyrically it's great

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
12-05-2007, 12:12 PM
its a great west coast album with sound that sound very east coast i love this album in my book its classic fuck what you heard

EtherGK
12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Yes it's a classic if that's what you're asking
Listen to Nature of the Threat, and tell me that track isn't legendary

Maxxx Millisecondz
12-05-2007, 12:50 PM
lyricswise, it's underrated as fuck. beatwise, some are dope, some not so much.

Ghost Deini
12-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Definitely a classic.

But underrated? I dunno. It maybe kinda is but I think also Ras Kass's album just haven't had much exposure due to all his legal shit and label issues so naturally a lot of people don't praise his shit because they can't get their hands on it.

crds
12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
No it needed better production on a lot of the tracks, lyrically it was light years head though.

KJR
08-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Do you guys think this album will ever get the reissue treatment? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about copping the OG vinyl pressing of this for around $45. Not sure if I should or not. I've actually never heard the whole album which is why I wanna cop it.

theheavens
08-08-2013, 10:28 PM
for a west coast album, the beats aren't that inspired

for a west coast rapper, ras kass isn't a complete fucking idiot

it would be a classic with better beats

chiba
08-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Definitely a classic.

But underrated? I dunno. It maybe kinda is but I think also Ras Kass's album just haven't had much exposure due to all his legal shit and label issues so naturally a lot of people don't praise his shit because they can't get their hands on it.

yep ! i second that!

TheFunkyDrummer
08-09-2013, 06:30 AM
no,

everyone whos heard it thinks its banutso

co-sign this 6 year old post

Longbongcilvaringz
08-09-2013, 06:49 AM
haha, when i saw this thread just now i was going to post that it is actually under rated and that it's one of the best west coast albums.

Do you guys think this album will ever get the reissue treatment? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about copping the OG vinyl pressing of this for around $45. Not sure if I should or not. I've actually never heard the whole album which is why I wanna cop it.

If you haven't heard it you may as well just download it. The vinyl would be nice regardless.

KJR
08-09-2013, 07:44 AM
haha, when i saw this thread just now i was going to post that it is actually under rated and that it's one of the best west coast albums.

If you haven't heard it you may as well just download it. The vinyl would be nice regardless.

Do you think it would be worth $45 longbong? Besides that, I could cop a CD version for $20. I don't like just downloading albums, gotta have a physical copy too! haha!

TheFunkyDrummer
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Don't go spending that much money if you haven't heard the whole album. First listen to it and see if you enjoy it that much. Cause there are classics in the 90s that I find average.

KJR
08-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Don't go spending that much money if you haven't heard the whole album. First listen to it and see if you enjoy it that much. Cause there are classics in the 90s that I find average.

That's true. What are some '90s classics you don't care for?
What's your personal opinion on 'Soul On Ice'?

Also, if I buy one, should I go with the $20 CD or the $45 vinyl?

TheFunkyDrummer
08-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I would always choose Vinyl over CD's.

People are going to be mad about this, but I don't give a fuck. Doggystyle is not my thing. Most of 2Pac's albums, except for his first two: 2Pacalypse Now and Strictly 4 My Niggaz.

KJR
08-09-2013, 01:58 PM
I would always choose Vinyl over CD's.

People are going to be mad about this, but I don't give a fuck. Doggystyle is not my thing. Most of 2Pac's albums, except for his first two: 2Pacalypse Now and Strictly 4 My Niggaz.

Do you choose vinyl over CDs because of the sound or b/c of the collectability factor?

I'm surprised you don't like MATW or AEOM, especially MATW, that album was straight fire; Pac showed who he was as a man on that joint.

Personally, I think 3ft High And Rising is totally overrated.

Now I'm trying to decide between copping 'Soul on Ice' or Masta Ace's 'Disposable Arts' vinyl for around $30. (another album I don't own)

TheFunkyDrummer
08-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Sound. Vinyl sounds better. Also I'm a digger so it's nice to have in my collection. 3fhar is amazing, one of my favorite albums ever. It doesn't have complex lyrics, but it's not about that. It's a fun record, it's happy music, rare in hiphop. Great Prince Paul beats. To each his own.

Longbongcilvaringz
08-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Do you think it would be worth $45 longbong? Besides that, I could cop a CD version for $20. I don't like just downloading albums, gotta have a physical copy too! haha!

Yeah, but i don't see the point in buying the CD when you can just download it for free and have the same product minus a booklet....

I like the album a lot so $45 for the vinyl doesn't really phase me (if one was in front of me in a store i'd buy it, but i haven't hunted it down online). New albums on CD are roughly $20 USD here, i don't mind paying more for vinyl.

KJR
08-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Yeah, but i don't see the point in buying the CD when you can just download it for free and have the same product minus a booklet....

Well that's sorta true, but there's just something magical about walking into your room (or wherever you store your CDs) and seeing all your CDs on your shelf. It's like a visual representation of your musical listening journey! I also don't feel like I actually "own" things when I have the digital version. I need to have something tangible.

I like the album a lot so $45 for the vinyl doesn't really phase me (if one was in front of me in a store i'd buy it, but i haven't hunted it down online). New albums on CD are roughly $20 USD here, i don't mind paying more for vinyl.[/COLOR]

Well I just bought the vinyl! Can't wait to get it, it's in NM condition and has only been played a couple times. Now I need some Masta Ace on vinyl...:)

$20 where you are? DAMN! I buy all my CDs on Amazon and often times I'll get 'em for $4-$6 total which isn't a bad deal if you ask me.

GhettoGnom
08-10-2013, 10:04 AM
^^ Shiiiet, new cds usually costs 30$+ over here.

OT; I don't really think so. A bit slept on maybe, but there's a lot of westcoast albums that are even better and more slept on.

Nature of the Threat is overrated as fuck though. Only rap fans could rate a song with so many lies and contradictions in it. And only rap fans could take a history lesson from someone as dumb as Ras Kass seriously.

Albinism apparently was a sin to the original man, Africans
So the mutants traveled north of the equator
Called european later, the first race haters
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

ShaDynasty
08-10-2013, 10:12 AM

OT; I don't really think so. A bit slept on maybe, but there's a lot of westcoast albums that are even better and more slept on.

Nature of the Threat is overrated as fuck though. Only rap fans could rate a song with so many lies and contradictions in it. And only rap fans could take a history lesson from someone as dumb as Ras Kass seriously.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Nature of the threat is sick overall, his take on history is obviously a racist take (and inaccurate in places) but the song has truth to it as well. especially as countermyth to the watered down version of history taught in school.

Classic album.

GhettoGnom
08-10-2013, 10:14 AM
^Touché

I still think it's overrated though, cause a lot of hip hoppers take that song as some holy grail shit

TheFunkyDrummer
08-10-2013, 05:55 PM

I have been telling people this for years. He has far better songs. Contradiction, Hypocrisy, Lies; it's full of it. It's funny how he's telling if like he's been there and it's all facts.

ShaDynasty
08-10-2013, 07:04 PM
I have been telling people this for years. He has far better songs. Contradiction, Hypocrisy, Lies; it's full of it. It's funny how he's telling if like he's been there and it's all facts.

A lot of the shit in the song is true but he ties it all together with guesses and racism.

Its not perfect factually but its great as a paranoid rant in song form and something that should force you to check out the stuff hes talking about (a lot of which is true and brushed under the rug by mainstream society).

CharlesJones
08-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Soul On Ice wasn't good to me because of the beats but Ras Kass is a ill mc. I don't like his albums because of bad beats. Rasassination album is terrible. I used to have his unreleased album Van Gogh and it was ok. Jack Frost song on there is my favorite and I like how he sampled Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song with him saying Jack Frost nipping at your nose. I got his compilation album Re-Up and it's alright. Have ya'll seen his The Great Recession video? I saw it on Youtube and the video looks like it's not that old. I don't know what album that song is on but I like it. He has a white boy rapping on the song. This song is about politics in america. Ras Kass is good at rapping about politics and not too many rappers in Los Angeles rap about that. He seems like he reads books often and i know a lot of rappers don't read books LOL. So that's good that he reads and pays attention to the news. I saw a interview with him on Youtube talking about Nature Of The Threat song.

KJR
08-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Does anyone here have a 320kbps rip of this album they could link/send me? I have the vinyl but I'd like to have a nice digital copy for my iPod. PM if you've got a link or something! :D

Longbongcilvaringz
08-18-2013, 04:20 AM
Nature of the threat is sick overall, his take on history is obviously a racist take (and inaccurate in places) but the song has truth to it as well. especially as countermyth to the watered down version of history taught in school.

Classic album.

A lot of the shit in the song is true but he ties it all together with guesses and racism.

Its not perfect factually but its great as a paranoid rant in song form and something that should force you to check out the stuff hes talking about (a lot of which is true and brushed under the rug by mainstream society).

Good points.