PDA

View Full Version : Nas - Lost Tracks

claaa7
12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Can anybody help out on this, I want info on where all those songs originally was released and which year. the only ones I know of are the 4 from the original "I Am" sampler (fetus/poppa was a playa/drunk by myself/blaze a 50).

Also which is the better album, "Lost Tapes" or "Stillmatic"?

Kenny Powers
12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
a lot of them were just unreleased singles that were recorded between 1999 and 2001. I think a few of them appear on the japanese version of I Am... But I heard that Nas recorded over 100 songs for I Am and some tracks that were supposed to be originally on it were just taken off and put on the lost tapes.

Stillmatic is better than the lost tapes, but not by much

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-06-2007, 03:35 PM
both Stillmatic and LT r considered personal classics as far as myself goes

Thworldisyours
12-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Can anybody help out on this, I want info on where all those songs originally was released and which year. the only ones I know of are the 4 from the original "I Am" sampler (fetus/poppa was a playa/drunk by myself/blaze a 50).

Also which is the better album, "Lost Tapes" or "Stillmatic"?

I think U Gotta Love It is also from the 99 "I Am..." era... Nas calls himself Nastradamus in the first line and he stopped doing that by 2000...

Everything else was probably recorded right before or right after Stillmatic... I know Doo Rags and Black Zombies was originally intended for Stillmatic cause I remember hearing that on mixtapes before it came out... Purple had to be from that era too because he mentions Puffy doing Shyne wrong by giving him a different lawyer in the "Club NY" trial... My Way too cause his voice and flow sound similar to other songs in that time period...

As for which album is better, it's damn close but I'd probably go with Lost Tapes because it has no filler while Stillmatic had the god awful Braveheart Party...

claaa7
12-06-2007, 03:49 PM
I think U Gotta Love It is also from the 99 "I Am..." era... Nas calls himself Nastradamus in the first line and he stopped doing that by 2000...

Everything else was probably recorded right before or right after Stillmatic... I know Doo Rags and Black Zombies was originally intended for Stillmatic cause I remember hearing that on mixtapes before it came out... Purple had to be from that era too because he mentions Puffy doing Shyne wrong by giving him a different lawyer in the "Club NY" trial... My Way too cause his voice and flow sound similar to other songs in that time period...

As for which album is better, it's damn close but I'd probably go with Lost Tapes because it has no filler while Stillmatic had the god awful Braveheart Party...

thanx for the info..
i'd go with The Lost Tapes too because as you say there is no filler on it. It's a straigh 5/5 album, Stillmatic's best tracks is probably even better but it had about 3-4 tracks too much (not saying they were bad just not classic material) - ooh and braveheart party isn't on my copy of the album. i think it was only on a very limited edition, the first pressings.

benzo
12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
This can be easily sorted out if you just look through the credits in the booklet. I did this because I was curious as well and the publishing year for each track is listed. I'd give you the 411 but I don't have the shit with me and I forgot it. Just check it out, you'll see the timeline there... Peace-

claaa7
12-06-2007, 06:13 PM
This can be easily sorted out if you just look through the credits in the booklet. I did this because I was curious as well and the publishing year for each track is listed. I'd give you the 411 but I don't have the shit with me and I forgot it. Just check it out, you'll see the timeline there... Peace-

looking thru the credits right now and at least my version doesn't state the year track for track. it says an overall copyright; 1999,2000,2001,2002 only. maybe different in the US pressing of the album?

Jimmy Focus
12-06-2007, 09:11 PM
No Idea Is Original," "Everybody's Crazy" and "Black Zombies" were bonus tracks on the japanese addition of stillmatic. fetus was definitly from i am and besides tht there were underground singles and also there were apparently some nastradamus sessions in the mix as well. and there is supposedly new tracks that were recorded

claaa7
12-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Yeah I think "DooRags" was recorded exclusively for the album. Lost Tapes is great, tracks like U Gotta Love It are better than almost anything on Nastradamus (except for Project Windows) so I can't believe he scrapped them.

But I think that's one of Nas biggest problems, he doesn't really see what to put on and what not to use for the albums. Look at Stillmatic, he had at least 10 songs that's certified classics but instead of putting out a 10-12 track album he fucks it up by putting Rule and Smoking on ther, even Braveheart Party was originally on there. And on his latest album he used an acapella version for "Hope" which otherwise would have been maybe the tightest track on the whole LP, and I Am got severely fucked up after he changed it.

I mean think about if he had put out the originally autobiography "I Am.." (judging from the 14-track sampler that leaked that shit was classic, full of storytelling and great beats). Then he would have put out "Illmatic", "It Was Written..", "I Am.. Nastradamus (original)" and "Stillmatic" in a row. that would be the greatest catalouge in hip-hop ever (for a solo artist at least).

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah I think "DooRags" was recorded exclusively for the album. Lost Tapes is great, tracks like U Gotta Love It are better than almost anything on Nastradamus (except for Project Windows) so I can't believe he scrapped them.

But I think that's one of Nas biggest problems, he doesn't really see what to put on and what not to use for the albums. Look at Stillmatic, he had at least 10 songs that's certified classics but instead of putting out a 10-12 track album he fucks it up by putting Rule and Smoking on ther, even Braveheart Party was originally on there. And on his latest album he used an acapella version for "Hope" which otherwise would have been maybe the tightest track on the whole LP, and I Am got severely fucked up after he changed it.

I mean think about if he had put out the originally autobiography "I Am.." (judging from the 14-track sampler that leaked that shit was classic, full of storytelling and great beats). Then he would have put out "Illmatic", "It Was Written..", "I Am.. Nastradamus (original)" and "Stillmatic" in a row. that would be the greatest catalouge in hip-hop ever (for a solo artist at least).
those tracks got scrapped bcuz of the bootlegs, and Nas needed sales--or better said, Columbia wanted sales...

Durag
12-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Agreed. Sometimes id like to think what the fuck is goin on in Nas's head. When i heard the original version of 'Hope' i couldnt believe it. The beat would have EASILY been the greatest beat on HHIP, straight up. I cant fuckin believe he'd cut such a DOPE beat for an accapella, maybe if it was an album clocked full of bangin, straight up hip-hop beats i might understand, but it would have been the best beat on an album full of mostly wack shit.

As far as Stillmatic, that may be my fav after Illmatic, tied with ...It Was Written, but i liked Smokin. Rule wasnt bad either, i dont have Braveheart Party on my version but it is pretty wack.

Is it just me or is Street's Desciple kinda out of place in Nas's catoluge? I aint gonna lie i think its shit, but i also think HHIP is dead is shit but that fits in. The beats on HHIP, whilst mostly shit, still sound like shit Nas beats. Streets Desciple's beats dont sound like the type of beats Nas would rap over at all. An awful lot of singin on that too, i know there was some on God's Son, but it kinda fitted in there, that was kinda like Nas's spiritual and soulful album, i just dont know where SD came from.

Nas better not use wack guests on his next album either. in fact, how bout usin none at all. i mean, two of his beats albums had bearly any guest's, and them he go and gets The Game, Snoop, Kayne etc on his album. Its obvious he's tryin to appeal to a more mainstream audience.

Btw, i had the original ...I Am 14 track sampler, but i lost it, if anyone has it could they upload it?

Peace and thanks

Thworldisyours
12-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Agreed. Sometimes id like to think what the fuck is goin on in Nas's head. When i heard the original version of 'Hope' i couldnt believe it. The beat would have EASILY been the greatest beat on HHIP, straight up. I cant fuckin believe he'd cut such a DOPE beat for an accapella, maybe if it was an album clocked full of bangin, straight up hip-hop beats i might understand, but it would have been the best beat on an album full of mostly wack shit.

As far as Stillmatic, that may be my fav after Illmatic, tied with ...It Was Written, but i liked Smokin. Rule wasnt bad either, i dont have Braveheart Party on my version but it is pretty wack.

Is it just me or is Street's Desciple kinda out of place in Nas's catoluge? I aint gonna lie i think its shit, but i also think HHIP is dead is shit but that fits in. The beats on HHIP, whilst mostly shit, still sound like shit Nas beats. Streets Desciple's beats dont sound like the type of beats Nas would rap over at all. An awful lot of singin on that too, i know there was some on God's Son, but it kinda fitted in there, that was kinda like Nas's spiritual and soulful album, i just dont know where SD came from.

Nas better not use wack guests on his next album either. in fact, how bout usin none at all. i mean, two of his beats albums had bearly any guest's, and them he go and gets The Game, Snoop, Kayne etc on his album. Its obvious he's tryin to appeal to a more mainstream audience.

Btw, i had the original ...I Am 14 track sampler, but i lost it, if anyone has it could they upload it?

Peace and thanks

First off, the "Original" Hope was legit??? I thought that was just a blend somebody made up after...

Anyway, I blame the label and just plain BAD LUCK more for some of Nas' album mistakes... I mean almost all of his albums since It Was Written have been severly fucked with... Columbia completely ruined I Am which could have been a classic double-album like Wu-Tang Forever and Life After Death... If that happened, Nastradamus might not have been rushed the way it was and that would've been better... Stillmatic wasn't messed with too much (I wish the original You're Da Man was used where Nas talks about going mad and drinking his own urine and semen... A little too crazy for the masses I guess... Doo Rags, Black Zombies, and The General should've been on it as well...) God's Son too escaped major problems but Streets Disciple and HHID both could've been better... SD should've been one CD and Good Morning, Talk of NY, and Serious should've been on it... And how the hell could Where Yall At not make HHID??? That should've been the LEAD SINGLE!!! The N too got scrapped for no reason at all...

I dont think there's another artist that has so many classic UNRELEASED songs!!! That's the reason why Lost Tapes was so good... It seems like Nas saves his best work for songs that are never released (or are released years after)...

I mean you hear mixtapes with all his new shit... You get amped for his album knowing it's gonna be the LP of the year... Then you hear it and it's good but all the songs you were amped up for are gone either for sample issues or the label... Still with that being said, I love his catalog and play his albums regularly... Even Nastradamus.............. But you wonder about what COULD'VE been...

And yeah, if anybody has the original bootleg of I AM... up that shit now cause I haven't been able to find that for years...

claaa7
12-08-2007, 08:59 AM
I mean you hear mixtapes with all his new shit... You get amped for his album knowing it's gonna be the LP of the year... Then you hear it and it's good but all the songs you were amped up for are gone either for sample issues or the label... Still with that being said, I love his catalog and play his albums regularly... Even Nastradamus.............. But you wonder about what COULD'VE been...

And yeah, if anybody has the original bootleg of I AM... up that shit now cause I haven't been able to find that for years...

yo search for my thread "Nas Compilation (192 kbps)". i uploaded 12 discs of official Nas material (non-album shit, only mixtape, collaborations), amongst other it had every track from the original I AM bootleg. all links should be still working.

also if the double-cd of I AM would have been released there wouldn't have been a Nastradamus album. The title was originally "I Am... Nastradamus (The Autobiography)". Disc 1 was I Am and Disc 2 Nastradamus but with completely different tracks on both, e.g. the last track on disc 1 was supposed to be Undying Love and on Disc 2 he is reborn as nastradamus with the track Among Kings.

Emperor Bohe
12-08-2007, 11:26 AM
what are the exact names of the tracks cut from I AM?

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
12-08-2007, 11:38 AM
anyone have the original Hope with the beat?

claaa7
12-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Hope (Original Version) (http://www.zshare.net/download/10900713abebd2/)