PDA

View Full Version : Do many of ya'll check for real old school hip-hop, prior to 1985?

Durag
12-14-2007, 06:00 AM
When people talk about old-school hip-hop they usually talk about the usual, Eric B & Rakim, BDP, Just Ice, Big Daddy Kane, EPMD etc etc all shit from the mid to late 80's, but do many of you listen to any shit prior to that? I think everyone owns, or at least has heard Run DMC tracks, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, Beastie Boys etc, but do ya'll dig any deeper? Im talkin bout the likes of:
Kurtis Blow
Fat Boys
Grandmaster Caz
Fab Five Freddie
T. La Rock
Dougy Fresh, or Doug E. Fresh
Afrika Bambatta
Cold Crush Brothers
etc

Ive my fair share of late 80's classics, and its really just compilations with tracks from the early 80's, alonside the usual, Run DMC, GF&FF, Sugerhill Gang, BB etc

Memory Man
12-14-2007, 07:38 AM
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32833

Durag
12-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Ya i remember that thread, it was dope. ive heard some of that stuff, but not a lot. im gonna go back and pick up some vinyl from those years, a lot of these artists are unknown to newer hip-hop fans, and although i listen to a bit, i def dont listen to enough.

claaa7
12-14-2007, 10:49 AM
no not really, for some reason I have a problem appreciating hip-hop made before 1988 or so (with a few expectations).

Edgar Erebus
12-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Yup, but I mostly wasn't feelin' it. Too easy-minded for me.

Did like some things by Grandmaster Flash or Theodore, though. And some Whodini, but as a whole, I ain't feeling it.

Cee Oh Vee
12-14-2007, 11:25 AM
I listen to all that REAL old school hip hop, Afrika Bambaataa is the king of hip hop AND electro-breakbeat.

CharlesJones
12-14-2007, 04:39 PM
I like Kurtis Blow, Whodini, Grandmaster Flash, UTFO, Fat Boys, Afrika Bambattaa, Doug E Fresh, Slick Rick. Only Sugarhill Gang song i've heard is their classic Rapper's Delight. I haven't heard Cold Crush Brothers and T La Rock's songs. I've heard MC Shan's The Bridge song. He didn't come out until the mid 80's though right? Some hip hop pioneers like DJ Kool Herc and Russell Simmons say rap started in the 70's but i don't believe that. I believe rap music started in the early 80's. What do ya'll think was the first rap song? Was it Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight? I think that song came out in 1979.

Sideoutfox
12-14-2007, 04:54 PM
hell yea the old school is tight. A lot had one-hit wonders, but the songs are classic like Newcleus, Strafe, Rodney O (Everlasting Bass!), The World Famous Supreme Team, Mantronix, T La Rock etc. I'm 20 and I think the old school's dope.

CharlesJones
12-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Remember Joeski Love's Pee Wee Herman Dance song? Hahahahahahaha. That song is tight though. I love the beat. VH1 did a rap documentary a few years ago called 30 Years Of Hip Hop. It was a awesome documentary and they talked about when rap first started and some pioneers from those days were being interviewed and they showed old footage. There was 3 parts to this documentary and it was very good. I used to have it on videotape and i wish i hadn't taped over it. Looking at that old footage from the 80's when rap first started brought back good memories. I remember when black men would walk down the street with their radio on their shoulder LOL. People breakdancing on a cardboard box. Those were the good old days. Classic 80's rap movies Breakin, Breakin 2, Krush Groove, Beat Street.

Chris79
12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
I dont listen to nearly enough hip-hop from those times...partly cause its not that accessible...big ups to memoryman for that great thread

I admit I am not up on most of the hip-hop from back then but I'm up on some....Fat Boys, Whodini, Caz, etc

Check out the record me and some friends put out by Grandmaster Caz and DJ Signify

http://www.grandgood.com/gg001/

TAURO
12-14-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't listen to much but every now and then I put on some Grandmaster Flash and Furious 5 or Afrika Banbattaa and the Soulsonic force.

crds
12-14-2007, 10:07 PM
I dont listen to nearly enough hip-hop from those times...partly cause its not that accessible...big ups to memoryman for that great thread

I admit I am not up on most of the hip-hop from back then but I'm up on some....Fat Boys, Whodini, Caz, etc

Check out the record me and some friends put out by Grandmaster Caz and DJ Signify

http://www.grandgood.com/gg001/

are you serious Chris?, there are blogs out there from people that have out up their own collections, there is a lot out there mp3 wise and check Gemm and e-bay for original copies.

I listen to Grandmaster Flash and The Furious 5, Whodini, Treacherous Three and Cash Crew every now and then.

TUCO
12-14-2007, 10:11 PM
LMAO @ dudes not appreciating or bumping the golden age of hip-hop
yall stay stuck in '95

Chris79
12-14-2007, 10:19 PM
For real?...I'm not too up on googling random artists and seeing what comes up but I'm gonna have to check that out....thanks for the info

energizer
12-14-2007, 11:24 PM
does anyone think that the first rap song was The Magnificent Seven by The Clash

ilzPotent
12-15-2007, 01:19 AM
I've built alil collection of real ol' skool shyt.

crds
12-15-2007, 03:15 AM
does anyone think that the first rap song was The Magnificent Seven by The Clash

Nah, there were earlier songs than that, that Clash song is great though.

Chris79
12-15-2007, 03:28 AM
KRS said at a show that hip-hop actually dates back to like the 50s and 60s...except it wasnt called hip-hop back then...he was describing what these cats on the corners did and it was definitely hip-hop except it was called something else back in the day...forgot what he said

crds
12-15-2007, 08:35 PM
KRS said at a show that hip-hop actually dates back to like the 50s and 60s...except it wasnt called hip-hop back then...he was describing what these cats on the corners did and it was definitely hip-hop except it was called something else back in the day...forgot what he said

Be Bop or Doo Wop?

chiba
12-16-2007, 10:07 PM
i got dem old school records
gotta keep them coz bboys still dance to them tunes

crds
12-16-2007, 10:14 PM
I was going through my records and still believe that Z3 Mc's were well ahead of thier time as were Ramellzee,K-Rob, and The Crash Crew.

One off my favourite tracks of all time is IRT-Watch The Closing Doors from 1982, does anybody else know that one?.

Chris79
12-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Be Bop or Doo Wop?

I really cant remember for the life of me...if it pops into my head one day, I'll post it ha....but I dont think it was either...I remember not knowing what that was when he said the name of it

Durag
12-17-2007, 06:34 AM
I think its interesting to know where hip-hop started and originated from, and the musical and cultural developments of it over the years. www.oldshoolhiphop is a good site for knowledge, and its store contains all the old school hip-hop albums that are on amazon.com.

begongo
12-17-2007, 09:36 AM
yeah I checked most of those artists, I think every hiphoppa should know the roots
I didn't feel them as much as I feel ATCQ, KRS, LL, Beastie Boys or so, but I think the artists themselves don't feel their songs from back then anymore ... every era has it's own sound ... but it's still Hip Hop as long as only the surface changes, not the essence of it