PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop is Not Rocket Science

noel411
12-21-2007, 03:43 AM
So I've been forced to take holidays over the "festive season". Since I've got nothing on, you motherfuckers might have to put up with a bit more of my bitter at the world, emo, narcissistic punk arse whining, than usual.

So today's issue is for fucks sake, hip hop is not rocket science. Some of you cunts look up to rappers like they're some sort of scientific geniuses. They're just dudes like you and I for fucks sake. Give yourself more credit. Cunts who go on about how deep some rappers are, and use that fucken ridiculous old argument of "man, that shit is just too deep for you to understand". Shit. What a fucken joke.

Fuck me. I was gonna do this thread when I was sober. I wish I had now. It would have been so well articulated. This is looking messy...

Anyway, you cunts who go on about rappers "dropping knowledge" are fucken clowns. To begin with, that term is utterly absurd and embarrassing. Writing a song about some shit you read in a book or saw on the news does not make somebody some sort of fucken genius. If you're impressed by that shit then go and read a book and learn some shit for yourself. Seriously. Just do it. It might boost your confidence and self belief.

And cunts who say how amazing it is when somebody writes something which is actually a metaphor for something else. Understand this...You can make just about anything a metaphor for something else if you want to. Likewise you can (and a lot of people do), convince yourself that something someone else writes is actually a metaphor for something else.

Finally, and this is the thing that really gets me. You cunts who say shit like "people aren't even gonna understand this shit for another 10 years", or "people will still be trying to figure this shit out in 20 years", or "this guy is 20 years ahead of the times", or any of that shit, for fucks sake, you're fucking kidding right? Really? Any of you cunts who have ever made one of those statements, please confess to me right here and now that you were only joking. You'd really be making me feel a whole lot better about my race of fellow human beings.

I'm sure when I was gonna do this thread before I had some much better points to make, which means you cunts may even be lucky enough to get another dose of this shit later on, when I'm sober. Right now I'm just passing time until I go to see that dude Pegz spittin' some straight KNOWLEDGE on stage. I swear, people are still gonna be trying to break down the shit he spits tonight when they're on their deathbed.

Peace and unity among all races and species.

WuGambino
12-21-2007, 04:26 AM
hahaha

very true

Edgar Erebus
12-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Ain't fucked in a long time right?

Maxxx Millisecondz
12-21-2007, 07:30 AM
dude is saying "fuck" and "cunt" a lot. who knows?

all i can say is i see where you're going with this post, but with that argument you might have to quit listening to music. it's like that with a lot of the musical genres. stay away from hip hop, blues, jazz, folk, and classic rock at the least, and you might be safe. :D

SL33
12-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Ain't fucked in a long time right?

ha ha ha ha ha hah

main_man
12-21-2007, 12:33 PM
i'd like to see this punk ass bitch try to write a whole album of good lyrics with a dope flow. just sounds like a straight bitch to me.

noel411
12-21-2007, 07:03 PM
My manner here was rather crude. I was drunk and distracted. The content of this post still remains of a high quality though.

Dominus Santorini
12-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Sorry in advance

There are albums that aren't fully appreciated for 10 years man. I can name countless albums that were slept on when they dropped and now considered classics. Wu Forever being one of them, that album was considered a complete disaster when it dropped, now its considered a classic.

Not every rhyme that is "deep" is read from some book, you're attempting to discredit extremely talented MCs like Ras Kass. Rza and Gza have many multi-layered rhymes that require time to digest fully and have been accumulated through education my nigga. Look at Nas, another well read individual.

Write a rhyme with a very clever metaphor like Method Man or Jay-z...that shit is not easy my friend. Especially when its weaved into 16 bars, how can you not appreciate it?

Do you know why people say "this won't be understood for 10 years"??? Its because when certain types of genre-bending albums are dropped, they don't fit with the current climate of music, therefore, they aren't "understood" for years to come. The understanding has nothing to do with comprehension and all to do with appreciation.

So basically, until you make an album, you're but a flicker to an inferno. It's so easy for people like you sit behind your keyboard and criticize these rappers, yet you have no product to back your shit up. Let's hear your track? Let's hear your metaphors? Let's hear your albums? Let's see if you drop an album that isn't fully appreciated aka "understood" for years?

You see, I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO GET AT but your post was so poorly written I had to tear it down.

Sharpen your points

Maxxx Millisecondz
12-22-2007, 06:02 AM
"Write a rhyme with a very clever metaphor like Method Man or Jay-z...that shit is not easy my friend."

No disrespect, but Jay-Z doesn't write. he freestyles some of it, and "borrows" the rest lines from other artists.

noel411
12-22-2007, 06:19 AM
You make it sound as if I was trying to deprecate and discredit rappers, which I clearly wasn't at all if you actually read my post.

You also make it sound as if your post was the be all and end all of this matter, which it wasn't even close to being. All it really did was demonstrate your misunderstanding of my own post.

I clearly wasn't talking about music not being appreciated or understood for a length of time. I'm talking about when people say shit about how people are still gonna be trying to break down an artist's lyrics in 20 years as if they're so deep and profound that mere mortals could never grasp them. And believe me, that happens on here all the time.

Nor did I say that all "deep" lyrics are "read from some book". Artists like MF Grimm write some very deep shit about life experiences. Artists like K-Rino write some very deep shit about their observations on human behaviour and the struggle for self improvement. I'm talking about when rappers write lyrics with historical and political references which are based on facts or theories, the knowledge of which is generally accumulated through reading or watching tv, and then kids hear it and marvel at what "mad knowledge they're dropping", as if it's absolutely amazing that somebody would actually know something about history or what's going on in the world.

And yes, some rappers display an exceptional ability to craft some very clever and thoughtful metaphors. I never denied that. A lot of kids also marvel at simple metaphors and also pretend some lyrics are metaphors for things they are not, as I DID say in my initial post.

Nowhere in my post did I say ANYTHING about rappers having no talent or that anybody can go out there and make some great hip hop music.

I said "hip hop is not rocket science". I said rappers are not "scientific geniuses". I said people should give themselves more credit rather than assuming mc's have access to some amazing wealth of knowledge that us mere mortals do not. THEY were my key points.

So you can take your "sorry in advance", "tear it down" and "sharpen your points" and go back to my first post and read it over and over until you "KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I AM TRYING TO GET AT".

main_man
12-22-2007, 12:33 PM
your in a hip hop forum, on a hip hop web site, dissing hip hop. no matter what you say, creating this bullshit post is dissing hip hop. people with half a brain know that rappers are just men. i do see what you mean about people thinking certain rappers are so smart. lil wayne is gettin all kinds of praise as a master of metaphor, but if you listen to him, he never really knows how to use metaphor properly. he must not of had a tutor all those years as a kid rappin', cause he sounds really dumb when he tries to use metaphor.

JerseyIronman
12-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree in that people give too much respect to the artist.

Like people trying to breakdown every fucking line on Supreme Clientele. Verses on songs like One and Nutmeg make absolutely no sense. Ghost said they dont mean anything and you got people on these forums trying to decode every line.

Also i think if you listen to music enough you become attached to it and start thinking every little bit is amazing, even shit that was totally unintentional by the artist.

Alot of times I'll listen to a rapper and wonder if this is he really making art or is just some dude babbling over a beat. Alot of times i'll listen to a verse and wonder is it actually good or not i cant tell. At least with beats you just know if its good or bad by the way it sounds.

TGambino
12-22-2007, 01:26 PM
someone on their period

Prolifical ENG
12-22-2007, 02:41 PM
They aren't scientists but they are artists and they are selling a form of art.

It is true that people should read a book for "knowledge" anyway.

On the other hand I haven't seen too many people here dicyphering lyrics

buckshotstheone
12-25-2007, 09:52 PM
No disrespect, but Jay-Z doesn't write. he freestyles some of it, and "borrows" the rest lines from other artists.

no disrespect but Jay-Z doesn't "freestyle" in the traditional sense. he writes his shit in his head and then performs it. i will, before i die, convince you that jay-z is the illest (haha, even that right there was jacked from biggie..hahahahaha....biggie biggie smalls is the illest!!...hahahaha)

buckshotstheone
12-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Like people trying to breakdown every fucking line on Supreme Clientele. Verses on songs like One and Nutmeg make absolutely no sense. Ghost said they dont mean anything and you got people on these forums trying to decode every line.

hahaha, guess i can finally stop thinking dude was on some einstein shit with them 2 joints. so basically if you say shit that makes absolutely no sense at all (see Def Jux) then everyone will think you are a genius (white college kids) because it's impossible to "decode", when really you aren't decoding anything, just some dusthead's psychobable

Longbongcilvaringz
12-26-2007, 02:24 AM
you know what i enjoy the most?

when people tell me that i dont understand fucking jay z on his recent 'mature' material.

talk about placing a semi literate old man who continues to discuss the same shit he was 15 years ago on a pedestal.

anyway, yeah.

Razorsharp
12-26-2007, 03:57 AM
good post, good pointz....

*bookmarks this this thread for future check-ups on the squarrel*

Maxxx Millisecondz
12-26-2007, 08:44 AM
no disrespect but Jay-Z doesn't "freestyle" in the traditional sense. he writes his shit in his head and then performs it. i will, before i die, convince you that jay-z is the illest (haha, even that right there was jacked from biggie..hahahahaha....biggie biggie smalls is the illest!!...hahahaha)

you have as good a chance of that as the Artifacts gettin back together for a reunion album. never gonna happen.