PDA

View Full Version : a book yall should check out: signifyin, sanctifyin', & slam dunking

ballistic
12-22-2007, 12:13 PM
it's edited by gena dagel caponi. it's a collection of insightful and fascinating essays on different modes of african-american expression, and this, of course, includes hip-hop. yall should brush up on yalls knowledge and pick it up; you also might glean some new perspectives to the phenomenon of hip-hop as artform and cultural expression. it helps create a context. there's also some great stuff about jazz, basketball, and Michael Jordan. one essay talks about how Lester Young, the great saxophonist, was the true progenitor of the "cool" aesthetic in Western culture. MJ's playing style is linked with the jazz aesthetic of improvisation and the idea of style being identity.

Ink Is My Drink
12-22-2007, 12:18 PM
MJs style is linked to jazz...urm that sentance is linked to me not even looking at that book

ballistic
12-22-2007, 12:43 PM
yeah, i'm just saying it's interesting reading material. i work in the textbooks department for william & mary and i'm not doing a damn thing here but reading. essay i'm reading right now is called "Be Like Mike? Michael Jordan and the Pedagogy of Desire".