PDA

View Full Version : Do many of you have criminal convictions?

Durag
01-04-2008, 08:14 AM
I applied for a job a while ago and so did a few people i know, it involved easy enough work with a decent wage. But after a while i hadent heard any word back from them, so i asked a few of the others if they had, and it turns out that they contacted most of them back. So i decided to ring the pricks and find out why they never contacted me back. Turns out that because ive criminal convictions they wont hire me.

Thats quite a number of times this shit has happened. Ive gotten fired from jobs too because ive gotten convictions whilst working there. I always put down 'no' when asked if ive any convictions but the pricks always find out.

Do much of the rest of you have this problem?

TeknicelStylez
01-04-2008, 08:18 AM
I have a record, it's best to just come clean on the application if it's something like a by the books job, than if you manage to grab a interview just explain it to them. It's a catch 22, they wants us to reform but they don't want to give us the opportunity too, ridiculous.

DiMidio
01-04-2008, 08:22 AM
regretfully yes...

they say the system is supposed to rehabilitate you...all it does is make it harder for you when you get out...

ive got hired by jobs and got fired later because they found out about my convictions. some places never even called me back at all.

thats why you gotta go in business for yourself homie... and not illegally

i finally man'ed up and cleaned up my credit report...opened some new credit and kept it cool, never let it get into default. once you establish a few lines of new credit, you can easily get a business loan from a bank to start a small business. its the way to go

Durag
01-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I have come clean on applications, but never got any word back either, and i always thought or presumed it was coz of that. Like, if they have two applications, and one is a straight cut average run-of-the-mill candidate with no convictions, and the other does have convictions, it doesnt matter a lot of the time what qualifictions or job experience, the conviction will stand out.

Thats just my experience, shit is annoying. I could far better for the job than some fuckin robot straight out of college or whatever after spendin all of mammy and daddys money, but wouldnt have a clue how to survive in the real world or even talk to people, but they will always get picked.

TeknicelStylez
01-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Yea I can't stand the way getting a job works, I feel like if you want to work you should be hired, it shouldn't be a fucking selection process. I guess the only way to really balance it out is with a resume or something, or you just have to find somebody to get you a job. Hang in there man, I've been in a dry spell for a long time now too.

DiMidio
01-04-2008, 08:37 AM
yo tek we gonna leave the beef in the other thread for a second cause i been in the predicament...

but for the both of you, even if yall do get hired by someone...working for someone else is a bitch

working for yourself is the best...even if you have to sell drugs to raise the money for a small, legitimate business.

in many cities (philly one of them) you cant even get a fucking city job picking up trash if you got a felony. if you got any felonies for stealing, forget about it

Durag
01-04-2008, 08:48 AM
^^Yeah, i have one for theft and fraud, it was nothing major but when employers see a conviction for theft, they aint gonna be too quick to hire.

Yea I can't stand the way getting a job works, I feel like if you want to work you should be hired, it shouldn't be a fucking selection process. I guess the only way to really balance it out is with a resume or something, or you just have to find somebody to get you a job. Hang in there man, I've been in a dry spell for a long time now too.

Yeah i will, trying to make ends meet is a cunt though, ive gone days where im fuckin starvin, i pretty much stopped smokin weed coz i havent got a job to fund it, and as much as i love drinkin most days, ive cut down on that, and might have to cut it out for a while.

DiMidio
01-04-2008, 09:03 AM
my first felony was receiving stolen property for a stolen car back was i was 8. any theft on your record will deter you from getting jobs. i went on to get drug and assault convinctions...then they think you gonna sell drugs at the job, or beat up the employees. the system dont rehibilitate shit. it just makes it harder for someone who doesnt want to get money on the street.

if you have good credit, you can get a business loan dog...its absolutely the way to go. and theres also companies designed to help people out with small businesses to invest their money in the stock market, so your cash flow can bubble like that. also, when you have a small business, banks are more apt to give you more loans after awhile of your business being productive.

i havent worked for an employer in 4 years and I never felt better

DJMethods
01-04-2008, 09:06 AM
My shit got wiped when I hit 18, don't do anything besides smash if someone starts with bro's now.. i'm clean.

Thats messed up if it's fucking up jobs, politicians don't understand cause they've never lived in the situations they're trying to control. Best thing to do is get jobs through people you know.. I just worked as a Bricky Labourer when I struggled to get jobs.. worked for $5 an hour, did whatever I could.

Durag
01-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Most of my shit was about 3-4 years ago, one month i was in court 3 times, but in the leat year i havent really been in any trouble, and i want to keep it that way.

Ive thought about my own business, but to be honest i wouldnt have a clue what to set up or how to go about doin it, id need someone with more of them entreprenerial skills.

Yeah, i agree DJMethods, but theres fuck all construction jobs around here now as well, ive been askin people i know but no luck.

CherChezLaMarauder
01-04-2008, 09:43 AM
*cough Cough Cough Cough*

*cough Cough Cough Cough*

EAGLE EYE
01-04-2008, 09:48 AM
it was hard enough just getting a job with a clean record. you guys must be going fuckin' crazy

DiMidio
01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Most of my shit was about 3-4 years ago, one month i was in court 3 times, but in the leat year i havent really been in any trouble, and i want to keep it that way.

Ive thought about my own business, but to be honest i wouldnt have a clue what to set up or how to go about doin it, id need someone with more of them entreprenerial skills.

Yeah, i agree DJMethods, but theres fuck all construction jobs around here now as well, ive been askin people i know but no luck.

small businesses arent hard to set up. to let you know what i do...i have a small corner store in philly. everywhere needs a corner store.

TeknicelStylez
01-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Yo it's ridiculous, especially because my mom never let me get my license or a permit, I don't even know how to drive yo, I crashed like 8 times already...

Tony Bandana
01-04-2008, 10:51 AM
ya in all honesty ...i have criminal record. its tuff for me to get a job now, Most places ask for Criminal Record reports.

i got Assult Causing Bodily Harm

and 2 Intimidations .

i tell them i'd make for a good supervisor...lol.

never works

but ya no it sucks ...shit they wont give me the job and some putz gets it instead.

DiMidio
01-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Yo it's ridiculous, especially because my mom never let me get my license or a permit, I don't even know how to drive yo, I crashed like 8 times already...

get someone to teach you just once...and you'll never forget. its just like riding a bike

Durag
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Yo Tek im actually just after gettin my first car, a friend was gettin rid of an old car and i gave him a few hundred i had saved (its worth way more), thats why i badly need a job as well. I was the same as you, i couldnt drive and crashed once or twice, but its easy enough once ive gotten the hang of it.

CherChezLaMarauder
01-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I got an assorment of multi-colored jump suits and recycled shackles. My Patakis are still in crisp condition, smell pleasant too.

AcidPhosphate69
01-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Your best bet is trying the resteraunt industry. Seriously, they don't give a fuck as long as you work hard.

SG
01-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Durag:

You need to take advantage of your resources

If you have a PO, let him/her be a source of reference

Your local social security office: let them search jobs for you(assist you)

state agency or nonprofit organizations that specialize in your situation

They will give you training(technical skill, trade) at government cost

but overall you have to be an advocate for yourself....meaning

If you did community service let that be known, ask the employeer to put you on a probation period

One of the members also said open your own business which is a great idea

but mainly; get all your paperwork (documentation) together