PDA

View Full Version : Maths and english

JackOfHearts
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
anybody got this album? how does it compare to boy in da corner and showtime.....worth dishing money out for it :D?

JackOfHearts
01-08-2008, 11:58 AM
just realised this should be in the hip hop shop bit.....shit lets call it garage or grime instead ;-)!

begongo
01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I think it's great, it has some really good tracks

JackOfHearts
01-08-2008, 12:03 PM
better then boy in da corner nd showtime?

begongo
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I can't say better or worse ... it's just different

IRAN
01-11-2008, 08:42 AM
I hated Showtime, but loved In da Corner. This album is more like In da corner some brilliant beats.

Cee Oh Vee
01-12-2008, 05:19 PM
People like Dizzee Rascal is the reason UK hip hop ain't going nowhere, there ain't one well-known British artist that I can associate with real hip hop.

Dr Zayus
01-12-2008, 07:55 PM
People like Dizzee Rascal is the reason UK hip hop ain't going nowhere, there ain't one well-known British artist that I can associate with real hip hop.

Dizzee > every single one of the fucks that claim to be 'UK Hip-Hop' as opposed to Grime

Face it, UK Hip-Hop is grime

Maths + English is good. Not as good as Showtime or Boy In Da Corner, unfortunately. I'll say that those are two of my favourite albums ever though, so its a bit unrealistic to expect the same again from Dizzee. It's a bit of a sellout album, actually. Dizzee hasn't really made grime music since Corner but he's not even on that breakbeat tip for this record. It's bookended by what could be called grime tracks but in my opinion they're much more melodic than grime normally is. The first track is very soft, the last one is hard as fuck and they're the best tracks on the album.

The collaborations work really well. UGK kill Where's Da G'z (and Dizzee fucking destroyed them on Two Types of Bitches). Likewise, Dizzee destroys the song with the Arctic Monkeys and he flips the guitar sample of theirs over these crazy grime drums. I know heaps of people will hate the Lily Allen collaboration but that shit is hilarious.

The other songs are a bit hit & miss, though. Pussy'ole is fucking insane but Flex & Suck My Dick are pretty pointless. The DJ Q remix of Flex converted me though. Joss Stone was originally supposed to be on Da Feelin' and it's probably a good thing she wasn't, I don't think she'd work with that DnB style. Thankfully the album picks right back up after that with Bubbles, Hardback Industry & Excuse Me Please.

I'd definitely recommend it, but I'd also recommend you try to get your hands on the b-sides as well. De4n is a song about a friend of Dizzee's who killed himself, the beat is similar in texture to World Outside and it would have fit perfectly on the album. Dizzee is experimenting and it's a good thing but Maths + English loses the unity his first two albums had.

Cee Oh Vee
01-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Dizzee > every single one of the fucks that claim to be 'UK Hip-Hop' as opposed to Grime

Face it, UK Hip-Hop is grime

Maths + English is good. Not as good as Showtime or Boy In Da Corner, unfortunately. I'll say that those are two of my favourite albums ever though, so its a bit unrealistic to expect the same again from Dizzee. It's a bit of a sellout album, actually. Dizzee hasn't really made grime music since Corner but he's not even on that breakbeat tip for this record. It's bookended by what could be called grime tracks but in my opinion they're much more melodic than grime normally is. The first track is very soft, the last one is hard as fuck and they're the best tracks on the album.

The collaborations work really well. UGK kill Where's Da G'z (and Dizzee fucking destroyed them on Two Types of Bitches). Likewise, Dizzee destroys the song with the Arctic Monkeys and he flips the guitar sample of theirs over these crazy grime drums. I know heaps of people will hate the Lily Allen collaboration but that shit is hilarious.

The other songs are a bit hit & miss, though. Pussy'ole is fucking insane but Flex & Suck My Dick are pretty pointless. The DJ Q remix of Flex converted me though. Joss Stone was originally supposed to be on Da Feelin' and it's probably a good thing she wasn't, I don't think she'd work with that DnB style. Thankfully the album picks right back up after that with Bubbles, Hardback Industry & Excuse Me Please.

I'd definitely recommend it, but I'd also recommend you try to get your hands on the b-sides as well. De4n is a song about a friend of Dizzee's who killed himself, the beat is similar in texture to World Outside and it would have fit perfectly on the album. Dizzee is experimenting and it's a good thing but Maths + English loses the unity his first two albums had.

What are you talking about? Grime is garage, end-of.

There's no good famous UK hip hop artists. That's all.

oDoUoSoKo
01-12-2008, 08:00 PM
best thing outta Birmingham, is Sabbath

Dr Zayus
01-12-2008, 10:01 PM
What are you talking about? Grime is garage, end-of.

There's no good famous UK hip hop artists. That's all.

Please mate, you probably listen to Wu-Tang and think that there's no room in Hip-Hop for anything but obscure kung-fu and crime film references and stream-of-consciousness mysticism. I could give a fuck whether or not you like Dizzee Rascal but he's just as much a part of Hip-Hop as any Clan member.

JackOfHearts
01-13-2008, 12:37 PM
^ well said. people like dizzee rascal, jehst, akala etc are a lot better then many american hip hop artists. They have the right to be part of hip hop.

LuckyTheWonderDog
01-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Task Force
Yungun
Rodney P
SAWDID
Phi-Life Cypher
Stig Of The Dump
Sir Smurf Lil
Doc Brown
Lowkey

Skinnyman (not his latest shit though)
TVducOr5-ww

Roots Manuva
wbuSdXKtJX4

Jehst
7vL0zhBdCk8

Foreign Beggars
oEGtskc7HUg

Manage
ESEKG4jvDss

There's plenty of talented hip-hop artists in the uk that aren't making grime.

And then as for producers, you got:

DJ Format
Herbaliser
Skitz
Harry Love
Mr Thing

begongo
01-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Dizzee Rascal is what I would call FRESH .... he could actually call himself Fresh Rascal rather than Dizzee Rascal

JackOfHearts
01-13-2008, 02:22 PM
stig of the dump is a revolution, excellent artist.

Dr Zayus
01-13-2008, 07:35 PM
^ well said. people like dizzee rascal, jehst, akala etc are a lot better then many american hip hop artists. They have the right to be part of hip hop.

Dizzee has more than a right, Showtime is a fucking masterpiece. That album is so heavily slept on it's a joke.

Ink Is My Drink
01-14-2008, 02:45 PM
put it in the hip hop sectionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

JackOfHearts
01-16-2008, 04:05 PM
uk hip hop is going forward, american hip hop is going backwards.

Cee Oh Vee
01-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Please mate, you probably listen to Wu-Tang and think that there's no room in Hip-Hop for anything but obscure kung-fu and crime film references and stream-of-consciousness mysticism. I could give a fuck whether or not you like Dizzee Rascal but he's just as much a part of Hip-Hop as any Clan member.

Please "mate", before you judge on what I supposedly think, understand where I stand on hip hop, I don't actually like wu-tang.

But I do know -real- hip hop, and it's very safe to say Dizzee Rascal, with the utmost respect isn't real hip hop. People like that come about from listening to fake hip hop, which people refer to on a daily basis as hip hop.

LuckyTheWonderDog
01-17-2008, 03:56 AM
^^ Nah you're talking shit. I'm sure Dizzee listens to just as much 'real hip-hop' as the rest of us. Just because he came with a different style that included elements of garage and didn't just sound like a style america had peffected 20 years ago, doesn't mean he's not into real hip-hop.

I love uk hip-hop, and Dizzee isn't one of my favourites, but there's definately a place for him, and if you think tracks like 'Fix Up, Look Sharp' aren't hip-hop, then you don't know what the span of hip-hop covers.

Whilst I don't like a lot of modern hip-hop, and if it's done for the wrong reasons I don't agree with it, talk of what is 'real hip-hop' etc and complaining about stuff that's different is just encouraging the genre to stay the say and to become stagnant rather than to diversify.

Dr Zayus
01-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Please "mate", before you judge on what I supposedly think, understand where I stand on hip hop, I don't actually like wu-tang.

But I do know -real- hip hop, and it's very safe to say Dizzee Rascal, with the utmost respect isn't real hip hop. People like that come about from listening to fake hip hop, which people refer to on a daily basis as hip hop.

Really.

To be honest, I feel very strongly about this so whoever thinks these faggots on MTV Base can actually rap need to buy some Wu-Tang Clan CDs and educate themselves.

There's no such thing as 'real' and 'fake' Hip-Hop you pretentious little cunt. Your only basis for making that snide distinction is your taste in music. So YOUR taste in music makes you THE JUDGE OF ALL THINGS 'REAL' AND 'FAKE' IN HIP-HOP? More so than people who were listening to Hip-Hop before you were born? More so than people who were MAKING Hip-Hop before you were born? Not a fucking chance. Stop listening to what other people say is 'real' Hip-Hop and go find out for yourself.

LuckyTheWonderDog
01-18-2008, 04:05 AM
There's no such thing as 'real' and 'fake' Hip-Hop you pretentious little cunt.

Haha, to put it bluntly....

JackOfHearts
01-18-2008, 05:33 AM
Dr Zayus Dr Zayus.

Cee Oh Vee
01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
rofl, I expected responses like that.