PDA

View Full Version : De La Soul vs ATCQ

DJMethods
01-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Probably been done before, but hip-hop shop is quiet lately.

Personally I ALWAYS liked ATCQ more, 2 of my favourite albums ever that still get regular play after years. Midnight Marauders/Low End Theory are as close to perfection as any duo of albums ever IMO - But i'm kind of sliding towards De La more and more. To me De La have 3 Feet/De La Is Dead/Buhloone Mindstate/Stakes Is High, but out of those only Stakes Is High/Buhloone could match up to LET and MM from Tribe. I'd give a slight edge to Tribe there as well.

Tribe have Peoples Instinctives/LET/MM which I would throw in the category of the others, but i'm a fan of all their work. Are Midnight Marauders/Low End good enough to take out a large chunk of De La's catalouge? I still think so, 3 Feet and De La Is Dead have kind of dated for me.. but still nice.

I vote Tribe still.

Second Coming
01-08-2008, 01:46 PM
This is a good one. I'm sure it has been done before but I don't recall seeing one. Anywayz, I vote for De La but only by a hair. To me, De La Soul Is Dead, 3 Feet High and Rising, Stakes Is High, and Grind Date are all classic or very close to it. Tribe has Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders as classics but I don't think their overall catalouge quite matches up. These are two of my favorite hip-hop groups of all time and in my opinion you can't go wrong with either one. Personally I've always liked De La more though so I'll go with them.

DJMethods
01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Oh shit Grind Date! How did I forget that

Rame
01-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Atcq.

MAYOR QUIMBY
01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Both are nice, but Tribe is the shit.

maestro wooz
01-08-2008, 02:25 PM
de la

hide1998
01-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Back in the day I would've said Tribe, but nowadays I'd say De La for the simple fact that whether De La was going conceptual (Buhloone Mindstate) or a straight hip-hop album (Grind Date) they never have disappointed me. Even the occasional curveball (Stakes is High) De La has stayed tight. They have evolved their style to the point where all their albums speak on a different chapter of a great big novel. Tribe, who have some of the best albums in hip-hop history, just weren't as evolved as De La ever were in my opinion.

But fuck comparisons, you're not a hip-hop fan if you don't own MOST (if not all) of their albums.

oDoUoSoKo
01-08-2008, 09:16 PM
De La forever, they stayed soo much more consistent imo...and lyrically they are above ATQC

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
01-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Back in the day I would've said Tribe, but nowadays I'd say De La for the simple fact that whether De La was going conceptual (Buhloone Mindstate) or a straight hip-hop album (Grind Date) they never have disappointed me. Even the occasional curveball (Stakes is High) De La has stayed tight. They have evolved their style to the point where all their albums speak on a different chapter of a great big novel. Tribe, who have some of the best albums in hip-hop history, just weren't as evolved as De La ever were in my opinion.

But fuck comparisons, you're not a hip-hop fan if you don't own MOST (if not all) of their albums.

just what I was thinking..........

I could not have described it any better..............

but I cannot vote cause I love them both equally for different reasons and to pick one over the other would be wrong