PDA

View Full Version : Every time I listen to Life After Death....

Cthulhu
01-08-2008, 10:36 PM
.....I can't help but wish Biggie had written (and Puffy or any guest had produced) more songs like "Somebody Gotta Die," "Kick in the Door," "What's Beef?," "Niggas Bleed," "I Got a Story to Tell," "10 Crack Commandments," and the whole ending trilogy.

I mean, shit, it could have been the rival to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, but they had to go and stock it full of poofy bubblegum songs.

The stuff with 112 is pretty good, and I don't mind the R. Kelly song so much, but fuck, shit like "Mo Money, Mo Problems" and "Another" are just inexcusable. It's hard to believe that the guy who wrote "Gimme the Loot" and "Suicidal Thoughts" peforms those songs.

SaqurakiHanamichi
01-08-2008, 10:39 PM
u need balance.. u cant be listening to hard shit all day , especially for a person who only listens to rap music .

I personally cant listen to other music , thats why i need to hear all different types of Biggy
do u understand?

Cthulhu
01-08-2008, 10:47 PM
u need balance.. u cant be listening to hard shit all day , especially for a person who only listens to rap music .

I personally cant listen to other music , thats why i need to hear all different types of Biggy
do u understand?

I can. I listen to a lot more than just rap and almost all of it is "hard shit" within that genre. But that's beside the point.

I think those songs are just fucking awful. I can barely listen to them the whole way through and I blame Puffy mostly because I imagine he encouraged a lot of the pop crossovers. Sure, have balance, just don't make shitty songs. Cuban Linx has a balance between violent crime songs and lighter mack daddy/ladies man songs, but none of the latter suck ass. Some of those Biggie collabos are pretty much the blueprint for 50 Cent's career and why he can get away with making a song with Justin Timberlake and not get laughed at.

Biggie was in his element when he was writing dramatic heist/shootout/torture/bitches ain't shit kind of stuff. He sounds so out-of-place and laughable when he's on a Diana Ross sample or a club banger duet with Lil Kim.

SaqurakiHanamichi
01-08-2008, 10:56 PM
^^^
that was a hot song with kim , .... common man chill the fuk out

Cthulhu
01-08-2008, 11:01 PM
^^^
that was a hot song with kim , .... common man chill the fuk out

Nah, I just can't stand pop rap. Keep it grimey.

TAURO
01-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Im with Saquaraki on this, this reminds me of Big Puns album Capital Punishment. That album had those soft ladies joints but it was also hard as fuck, that to me was an example of a well balanced album.

While I will admit I didn't like Life after death all that much, it was because of the soft joints but it was because I just didn't feel the production but not because I thought it didn't need soft joints, but I do like Mo Money..Mo Problems though.

TAURO
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Nah, I just can't stand pop rap. Keep it grimey.

I love my raw and grimey joints but there is a difference between pop rap and a soft smooth joint.

Cthulhu
01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Im with Saquaraki on this, this reminds me of Big Puns album Capital Punishment. That album had those soft ladies joints but it was also hard as fuck, that to me was an example of a well balanced album.

While I will admit I didn't like Life after death all that much, it was because of the soft joints but it was because I just didn't feel the production but not because I thought it didn't need soft joints, but I do like Mo Money..Mo Problems though.

I don't mind varying moods, but I don't know how you can defend some of the songs on there. Some of them are just plain baaad ideas.

I don't mind having a few songs that are radio single material, but they don't have to be complete fluff.

The Chronic and Doggystyle got by without any fluff songs and still had big hits.

Ready to Die and Reasonable Doubt did too.

Shit, Mobb Deep never even had any songs that were radio material, but they still got popular during that period.

And while all the stuff on Cuban Linx is basically hardcore, "Ice Cream" and "Heaven & Hell" prove to me that you can have catchy/radio songs or touching songs without making them pop tracks.

Cthulhu
01-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I love my raw and grimey joints but there is a difference between pop rap and a soft smooth joint.

I realize this.

I consider "Mo Money, Mo Problems" and "Another" to be pop rap.

"Fuck You Tonight," or "Sky's the Limit" are soft, smooth songs that aren't complete fluff.

11th Chamber
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
The stuff with 112 is pretty good, and I don't mind the R. Kelly song so much, but fuck, shit like "Mo Money, Mo Problems" and "Another" are just inexcusable. It's hard to believe that the guy who wrote "Gimme the Loot" and "Suicidal Thoughts" peforms those songs.

Its called selling records. 'Mo Money Mo Problems' help did that

Cthulhu
01-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Its called selling records. 'Mo Money Mo Problems' help did that

That's true, but I feel that the album suffers as a result. Better to release the fluff as a single-only like they did with Ready to Die.

"One More Chance" the remix is soft.

"One More Chance" the album cut is hard and I don't have to hear a fluffy song breaking the flow of a hard album.

TAURO
01-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I agree with what you are saying but your dates are all over the place with the albums you posted. The early ninties was a different time compared to the late ninties, pop rap as it is today was born in the late ninties and yes Diddy was one of the major reasons that spawned the "Ice Age". Reasonable Doubt had it's pop songs, you forgeting Cashmere Thoughts and Ain't No *****. Mobb Deep also had soft joints on Murda Muzik and every album since.

Paranoid
01-09-2008, 12:51 AM
i thought mo money mo problems was pretty catchy

LiquidWordz
01-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Big already did the hard grimy shit on ready to die. There comes a time when an artist needs to expand their ideas and musical creativity. This is what Big attempted to do with life after death. I wouldn't call life after death "bubblegum pop bullshit". A lil commercial sounding sure, but it wasn't bullshit, it was a hot album. Just cuz it sounds commercial doesn't mean it's bad.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
01-09-2008, 04:47 AM
stop bitching about some1 thats been dead 10 years fukwad!!!

P-Noid Brown
01-09-2008, 12:49 PM
well thank puffy....the illest track on life after death is ...

Long Kiss Goodnight produced by RZA! holla

Cthulhu
01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Big already did the hard grimy shit on ready to die. There comes a time when an artist needs to expand their ideas and musical creativity. This is what Big attempted to do with life after death. I wouldn't call life after death "bubblegum pop bullshit". A lil commercial sounding sure, but it wasn't bullshit, it was a hot album. Just cuz it sounds commercial doesn't mean it's bad.

I didn't say the whole album was bad, there's just too many pop songs.

My purpose for this thread was to wonder what kind of album Life After Death would have been if Big had stuck with the mafioso theme and harder beats more consistently. I honestly think it could have been the rival to Cuban Linx as far as mafioso rap is concerned.

and I don't consider fluffy pop rap tracks to be a good example of expanding ideas and musical creativity.

LiquidWordz
01-09-2008, 09:25 PM
first of all what the hells wrong with diana ross? I bet your favorite rappers rocked over a diana ross sample. Hell ol dirty gave her a shout out on drunk game.

Secnd of all, Ready to die wasn't really mafioso, Life after death was the mafioso themed album. So I don't know where your going with that.

Third of all,like I said, I wouldn't consider this fluffy pop bullshit, just a lil commercial sounding, and that's only production wise. Lyrically it was still the same big as before if you ask me. The production was dope, pull your head out of your ass. Like that one dude said, you can't be listening to hard shit all day, it gets played out.

Also, you mentiond the one more chance remix being soft cuz of the beat. Uhmm, you realize Big L used that same sample on mvp, right? I suppose mvp musta been a bullshit track too, ust cuz the beat had a certain sound.....give me a fucking break.

staycreepin_n_silence
01-09-2008, 11:48 PM
No you have to diversify.

Dominus Santorini
01-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Diversify ya bonds...why can't people just enjoy music instead of attaching lame ass labels, like "pop" "grimey" "smooth"...fuck all that shit, if its tight its tight...Fuck the politicos