PDA

View Full Version : real question for Jay-Z fans

junius
01-11-2008, 07:02 PM
hey ya'll, on the real: some know i'm a Jay hater & have been from the start. i even listened to "Reasonable Doubt" today after "Jesus Price" & was like... damn, gimme more P!!

it reminded too what i hated at the time about Jay: all the Lexus & Versace crap especially, & his inability to ** sustain ** a song or lyric. Some punchlines are good, some are wack, Memphis Bleek is pathetic, etc etc. Also, there's really ** very ** little Brooklyn on the album-- some shouts to Marcy Projects & BK neighborhoods but not even a street name, train line, etc. I can understand-- and appreciate-- the whole thing about rising above your circumstances but I just don't think he makes good art out of it.

ALL THAT SAID...

for those of you who are Jay fans, what songs would you recommend to me as the best of his street shit, Top 10 songs or something. If you don't know NYC, that's ok, as long as you THINK it was NYC. if there are videos more street than the song-- like "99 Problems," my favorite Jay song-- that's helpful too.

thanks in advance for ya'll's tips-- i might not change my mind but i'll try again & i'll also try to do something nice in return like up some rare Show & A.G. or something.

oDoUoSoKo
01-11-2008, 07:54 PM
A million and one questions
Brooklyn's finest
where im from
Friend or Foe
Street's is watchin
hard knock life
D'evils
Dead Presidents 1
U Dont Know
what more can i say?

SaqurakiHanamichi
01-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Mad shit man his whole catalog except , american gangster and kingdom come .

he has mad bangers on vol 3 , and the roc dynasty LP ...

one of my fav jay songs is on ROC DYNASTY LP

jayz- stick to the script
i got mad shit i like

Cesar
01-11-2008, 09:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hclKVOajDPk - Peep that

all the songs that Dusk mentioned, and the whole Blueprint

JerseyIronman
01-11-2008, 09:36 PM
"Comming of Age"

"Can I live II"

"Rap Game - Crack Game"

...soo gangster

junius
01-12-2008, 08:41 AM
okay, thanks ya'll... i'm born & raised in BK and have down with the music since hearing "White Lines" about a million times as a little kid & then "Sucker MCs"/"It's Like That," "Beat Street" etc. I always felt Jay had talent but even on "Reasonable Doubt," the post-Biggie (let's call it) Lexus/Versace crap was just silly... especially for older heads who were mad down with Stetsasonic and Gang Starr, KRS and Kool G etc etc.

Of course, as years go by, Jay gets bigger & bigger, has pop hits girls like and for me, the boasting/party rap gets even more annoying. Props to reaching out to UGK at the time, of course, who very few New York dudes were down with but... Since a lot of us never thought he (Jay) was the greatest, the bragging/attitude became unbearable, even for hip-hop. (KRS always has a sense of humor and often WEIRD message; Jay is so so so so closed off... who is he?)

anyway, i'll check some of this out again, tho' I'll say yesterday i really liked "Jesus Price" way more than "Reasonable Doubt."

this isn't "rare" or anything but it's a good quality version of a favorite NYC song... if ya'll haven't checked it out it might inspire you to. Jeru the Damaja, "NY," from "Still Rising," the first verse is great and, to any New Yorker (at least one who's down with subways), REAL--

http://rapidshare.com/files/83209960/11_NY.m4a.html

Maxxx Millisecondz
01-13-2008, 03:17 AM
poop

Chief 'Broom
01-13-2008, 03:50 AM
"Where I'm From"
"Come And Get Me"

NIGHT MAYOR
01-13-2008, 04:05 AM
funniest thing for me with jay z is that i like his commercial shit more than his earlier/street shit *shrugs* cant help it, i got a twisted appreciation for music. peace.