PDA

View Full Version : Nas' "Nigger" Album more Embarrassing than "Hip Hop is Dead"

Tetsuo
01-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I mean Nas' weak proclamation that Hip-Hop was dead was a shameful enough attempt for attention and sales as it was, but it was also innocuous enough that I could forgive him. However, this whole "Nigger" thing is shameful. Even if the album were going to be a thought-provoking take on the history of race in America and an examination of the different degrees of the meaning the slur has acquired, he's still lost credibility for actually choosing to call the album "nigger". I know what you're going to say: he's making a bold statement, white people are uncomfortable with the title because of what it reminds them of, Nas is addressing the plight of African-Americans throughout history, etc.

All of these responses are valid, and Nas may or may not deal with these issues throughout the album, but nonetheless he has a certain responsibility as an artist and he's unintentionally exploiting the suffering of his own people. He knows the album title is going to cause "controversy", and it will, BUT not at all for the reasons he thinks. The fact is calling the album "Nigger" is going to make money and all the executives behind the album see it as a product and know that controversy will work in their favor.

The statement Nas can potentially make is overshadowed by the fact that it's ultimately a marketing ploy, even if it wasn't intended to be. Also, the effect of the word is much more complex than those who use it in either a derogatory sense or as a term of endearment. There may have been a time when "nigger" and "nigga" were dichotomously divided, but in our day and age, they're beginning to switch places. Go to your average self-styled white "gangsta's" Myspace and look at how nonchalantly he uses the term. He intends it as a term of endearment, and perhaps he has Black friends who're fine with him using it, but the fact is even "nigga" as a word which attempts to transcend its dehumanizing derivative is no longer exclusively within the possession of African-Americans. The grand irony of the situation is once again White people have stolen something valuable from Black people, and whether or not "nigger/nigga" is infused with hate or affection it is still inextricably linked to the past and its permeation into pop culture presents a new and unprecedented problem. Either way we have not defeated the word, and despite Nas' motivations, the word can only continue to enslave and degrade, especially in the context of the record industry.

11th Chamber
01-11-2008, 09:01 PM
exactly what I been saying. Attention whoring at its worst.

SaqurakiHanamichi
01-11-2008, 09:04 PM
im white and i dont feel right having a album out there called nigger ..... fuk that .
but maybe its a good thing in the long run? maybe actually black people wont call me "white motha fuka" everytime i pass by with a black girl .

Kenny Powers
01-11-2008, 09:37 PM
The fact is calling the album "Nigger" is going to make money and all the executives behind the album see it as a product and know that controversy will work in their favor.

The statement Nas can potentially make is overshadowed by the fact that it's ultimately a marketing ploy, even if it wasn't intended to be.

- You dont really believe that hes going to sell more records by having an offensive album title do you? Nas has already stated that he doesnt believe he will sell a lot with N*gger as the title. I think its a joke for people to get offended by this as the title when the CONTENT of an album is what really matters. Almost every present day rap album has content that people should be offended by and no one says a word. Nas has never let me down with an album and this will be the same. But im sure a lot of ppl see the situation as you do, so word.

Tetsuo
01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
- You dont really believe that hes going to sell more records by having an offensive album title do you? Nas has already stated that he doesnt believe he will sell a lot with N*gger as the title. I think its a joke for people to get offended by this as the title when the CONTENT of an album is what really matters. Almost every present day rap album has content that people should be offended by and no one says a word. Nas has never let me down with an album and this will be the same. But im sure a lot of ppl see the situation as you do, so word.

I do believe Nas will sell a lot of albums with an offensive title. The concept of "offensive" nowadays is virtually meaningless. Everybody's going to lengths to offend other people and everybody else is just sitting around waiting to be offended so they can feel they're a part of some drama. Nas is just cashing in on it.

Kenny Powers
01-11-2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.zooped.com/2007/10/27/nas-talks-about-new-album-controversy-while-politicians-join-fight-to-prevent-title/

“It’s probably going to make people uncomfortable. I don’t expect a lot of people to sell a record called Nigger. Hopefully, people can open their minds up and lose some of their fear and deal with it. It’s just an album. It’s one piece of the many things I do, and this will be one of my favorite pieces.”

TAURO
01-11-2008, 10:44 PM
^^^I wouldn't dwell on that if I was you, I mean it's not like he's gonna go out there and say.....

"Yeah naming my album nigger is gonna attract so much media attention that people are gonna pick it up just based of the hype that my marketing team set up"

See what im saying?

Focus Man
01-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Hip Hop Is Dead was not embarrassing at all! Ya, it stirred up controversey, so what!? Nas is not one to solely settle for album sales, he could have easily gone a diffrent route and made some gay club shit that was more relevant and hip. Hip Hop Is Dead is a wonderful album. Nigger won't be any different, it'll stir up controversey here n there, but at the end of the day, it won't mk a huge difference in sales at all. 50 vs. Kanye, now that was staged controversey solely to boost sales.

I dont know how everybody else shops for music, but i dont give 5th of a fuck about the title. A title like Nigger will obviously get my attention but the content is all that matters, to me atleast.

TSA
01-11-2008, 11:32 PM
nas got ppl talking seriously about how rap is dead

plus 97% of your opinions are irrelevant.

power to the man.

i'd rather he do this for publicity then make Tush

Miliato
01-12-2008, 12:23 AM
nas needs to drop that album he was supossed to do with Primo. they went around sayin that shit for a minute, and it never happened. im still slackin on buyin Hip Hop Is Dead, heard it a few times and liked it a lot. but what only 2 L.E.S. beats on that album???

Kenny Powers
01-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Tauro- I get what ur saying, but yall are acting like Nas is some indusrty asshole like 50 cent whos money crazy. Hes had like 8 platinum albums, I dont think hes only in it for the money by now.

Milion- Nas def needs to come out with a premo collab, he hasnt had one since stillmatic. And i hate to be that guy, but HHID has 3 L.E.S beats. MOney over bllshit, you cant kill me, and black repubicans

ballistic
01-12-2008, 01:34 AM
that was a very perceptive post. i think i agreed with you when you said that, in the context of the record industry, naming the album 'Nigger' is inherently exploitative. in the final analysis, corporate America will profit from the incendiariness of the word, which is problematically ironic considering things. you make very good points. people arent looking at it from that perspective at all. i dont condemn Nas at all for titling his new record 'Nigger", but the context is lamentable.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
01-12-2008, 02:10 AM

exactly what i've been thinking people today are way too sensitive nah mean fuck what these cats say man like the saying goes everybody has an opinions man fuck e'm n there attitudes

Maxxx Millisecondz
01-12-2008, 02:40 AM
There may have been a time when "nigger" and "nigga" were dichotomously divided, but in our day and age, they're beginning to switch places.

did you mean, they're beginning to have the same effect? or by switch places, was that about the white kids saying it so easily? feel free to clarify. other than that, i get your points, although i don't completely agree about the "he's doing it so he can sell more records" factor.

Lox-the-5th
01-12-2008, 07:54 AM
if anything nas stands to lose out my having "the nigger" as an album title. i heard that HHID was origianally gonna be called " hip hop is dead.....the nigger" but he eventually dropped it.

and now it appears he wants to push it again. imo, i think nas uses the title ironically. as in, how he/hip hop is perceived by the corporate world. i think he should be given props on making a bold statement. american society needs to deal with the term.

ballistic
01-12-2008, 12:38 PM
^ i agree there too. it's just unfortunate that the people whom he's conceivably criticizing through irony are ironically going to profit off the appellation, you know? i'm white myself, and the amount of teenage white kids who use it freely troubles me. they see it on TV or hear it on the radio and they begin to wield it themselves without a second thought with no historical perspective at all. they dont understand the cruel irony of the whole thing.

THE W
01-12-2008, 01:02 PM
poor man's promotional tactic.

Guarded By Martyrs
01-12-2008, 03:26 PM
I just hope he delivers a "High-Quality Album"
He is regarded as one of the best without doubt...
If he can make something anywhere close to "The Offering"
I will be amazed-
But all these dowie album titles should be below Nas.
Just have to wait and see.

Tetsuo
01-12-2008, 05:26 PM
if anything nas stands to lose out my having "the nigger" as an album title. i heard that HHID was origianally gonna be called " hip hop is dead.....the nigger" but he eventually dropped it.

and now it appears he wants to push it again. imo, i think nas uses the title ironically. as in, how he/hip hop is perceived by the corporate world. i think he should be given props on making a bold statement. american society needs to deal with the term.

He should have just called it Hip-Hop is Dead...the Nigger...The Holocaust was a Lie...Jesus Sucks.

Rame
01-12-2008, 05:26 PM
First listen, then judge.

ravage
01-12-2008, 09:12 PM

cosign ^O^

Krish
07-14-2008, 01:47 PM
this album sucked balls by Nas standards..Hero = worst produced song ever

Ghost_Deini_
07-14-2008, 02:43 PM
how is hero the worst produced song ever?

JamSix
07-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Hero is a fucking amazing beat, the drums thump hard as fuck and the wooshy strings are on point. Why the fuck you bringin back dead threads dunny to put forth nothin but gabbage, the fuck outta here with all that.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
07-14-2008, 02:51 PM

so true i think it's a great album and he did him this time rather than do something that everyone will like

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Nas did it.

Where Lupe got him [HHID <<<<<<<< TheCool], he got everyone with Untitled. [Not counting the Immortal Tech shit, cuz technically that wasn't an album]

SL33
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
nas got ppl talking seriously about how rap is dead

plus 97% of your opinions are irrelevant.

power to the man.

i'd rather he do this for publicity then make Tush

hahahahahahahahaha lol

as far as i'm concerned, i always write 'N' word with stars cause i don't want to disrespect... N***a.....
plus i agree with threadstarter, 'N word should remain within your community....

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
07-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Nas did it.

Where Lupe got him [HHID <<<<<<<< TheCool], he got everyone with Untitled. [Not counting the Immortal Tech shit, cuz technically that wasn't an album]

YEAH NAS DID IT AGAIN FUCK THE HATERS

JamSix
07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
YEAH NAS DID IT AGAIN FUCK THE HATERS

yeah my dude, nasty is back. time to laugh at all the doubtin ass mugs. Talking that “nas done fell off with rhyming, he rather floss with diamonds”
They pray “please God, let him spit that uzi in the army linin”
“that shorty doowop rollin oo-whops in the park reclinin”

Philosophy
07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
I mean Nas' weak proclamation that Hip-Hop was dead was a shameful enough attempt for attention and sales as it was, but it was also innocuous enough that I could forgive him. However, this whole "Nigger" thing is shameful. Even if the album were going to be a thought-provoking take on the history of race in America and an examination of the different degrees of the meaning the slur has acquired, he's still lost credibility for actually choosing to call the album "nigger". I know what you're going to say: he's making a bold statement, white people are uncomfortable with the title because of what it reminds them of, Nas is addressing the plight of African-Americans throughout history, etc.

All of these responses are valid, and Nas may or may not deal with these issues throughout the album, but nonetheless he has a certain responsibility as an artist and he's unintentionally exploiting the suffering of his own people. He knows the album title is going to cause "controversy", and it will, BUT not at all for the reasons he thinks. The fact is calling the album "Nigger" is going to make money and all the executives behind the album see it as a product and know that controversy will work in their favor.

The statement Nas can potentially make is overshadowed by the fact that it's ultimately a marketing ploy, even if it wasn't intended to be. Also, the effect of the word is much more complex than those who use it in either a derogatory sense or as a term of endearment. There may have been a time when "nigger" and "nigga" were dichotomously divided, but in our day and age, they're beginning to switch places. Go to your average self-styled white "gangsta's" Myspace and look at how nonchalantly he uses the term. He intends it as a term of endearment, and perhaps he has Black friends who're fine with him using it, but the fact is even "nigga" as a word which attempts to transcend its dehumanizing derivative is no longer exclusively within the possession of African-Americans. The grand irony of the situation is once again White people have stolen something valuable from Black people, and whether or not "nigger/nigga" is infused with hate or affection it is still inextricably linked to the past and its permeation into pop culture presents a new and unprecedented problem. Either way we have not defeated the word, and despite Nas' motivations, the word can only continue to enslave and degrade, especially in the context of the record industry.

^Strong Post

Yes nas will probably gain a few record sales from the "Nigger" hype but there are much easier ways to get record sales. i.e. making songs for 14 year old girls. I think nas bit off a little more than he could chew when he wanted to call the album "Nigger" because in the end it is still just entertainment, and the problem we have in america is bigger than nas. Hip Hop is Dead was a better subject.

But overall the album itself was above average. Some of the beats were questionable though.

P-Noid Brown
07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
yo i love nas and i was really hyped for the album but 7 out of 15 joints... isn't a good ratio.. im not really to big on the album... production was ehhh. it's got it's joints but it was disappointing.

Focus Man
07-14-2008, 10:37 PM
If anything....Nas is the last person to be doing shit for publicity. I mean damn...his ad for his new concert has him saying shit like "cop my album, whether u bootleg it or buy it...just get it!". And he's not just naming the album that for attention...the album title has EVERYTHING to do with the album itself. Every track on the album reverts back to the title of the album. Naming the album anything different would be retarded. For example...if Game came out and changed his new album to Nigger and the material had nothing to do with the title and the title was strickly meant to draw attention, then ur point would be valid. Nas is not choosing a controversial title...he made contriversial music. Fuck the title, nobody cares about that. I'd buy the album if he changed it to Cock Sucker or Pink Panther, i dont give a fuck. Once u pop the CD in, its all auditory from there.

urbanlegend
07-14-2008, 11:00 PM

Word

Acromadic
07-14-2008, 11:03 PM
I think everybody is over analyzing what Nas is trying to do with the name. I don't think he gives a fuck if white people use nigga. I think he is doing what people like me are doing, laughing at how people either get offended by the album title or think it's some sort of marketing scheme. At the end of the day, words are just words. People choose what words they give importance to. People who get offended by derogatory terms give words that importance. I'm hispanic, and when I see or hear the word spic, it doesn't offend me because it's just a word, now the day that someone lays a hand on me for being hispanic, is the day I knock some teeth out.

I can't hate on Nas for Nigger (even though the album is being released under untitled) because as other people were stating, just about 95% of the songs on the album relate to the title. It gives the album a strong political, social, conscious, and controversial vibe, and on top of that, I feel that it's the best work Nas has put out since I Am..

Plus, i'm glad to see a veteran and legend like Nas work with underground producers such as stic.man from Dead Prez and Jay Electronica.

I would be offended if somebody like Soulja Boy released an album called Nigger.....but Nas...he's been making socially conscious music throughout his career, so I can accept an album called Nigger from him.

P-Noid Brown
07-14-2008, 11:23 PM
^^^
totally tru... but Nas shoulda pull thru on his part.... had this album been hard as nails....forget it... instead the album is softer than expected.... if this was the original nigger album it's shameful!

hip-hop is dead > Nigger

this album falls at the top of the Street's Disciple Nastradamus God's Sun's Barrel..

AcidPhosphate69
07-14-2008, 11:25 PM
I can't see how you can defeat a word. In all honestly, by trying to supress it...you give it it's own power. It's all in context. I'm sure that word carries a lot of feelings I can't understand but you must realize, that YOUR reaction to the word gives it it's own unique power.

Like, I work in a pretty big resteraunt. Manager/Co-Owner is black, bartender is black, one of our saute cooks is black, couple guatamalans, etc. The point is, we fuck with eachother bad. I've called our saute cook, Joe, a negro to his face and daily we make racial remarks. You know what? He doesn't care because he knows we're joking. He says something about little white dicks and we all laugh and continue about our day.

What I'm trying to say is, you shouldn't fear or hate the word...hate the way it's used, if used for a malicious purpose. If it's just used as a word in a comfortable context and situation...fuck it. It is what it is.

Edit: I'm not saying I run around callin' my friends "mah nigga". That shit is just plain corny when white kids call eachother that.

Dominus Santorini
07-15-2008, 06:20 PM
To the thread starter, very well put, but quite irrelevant. Not only did he change the title, not only was Hip Hop is Dead a powerful album that had tons of artists commenting on it,

BUT...

The album was well-thought through and very on subject.

Acromadic
07-16-2008, 01:53 AM
I can't see how you can defeat a word. In all honestly, by trying to supress it...you give it it's own power. It's all in context. I'm sure that word carries a lot of feelings I can't understand but you must realize, that YOUR reaction to the word gives it it's own unique power.

I'm not saying you can defeat a word, but the meaning of the word can be changed. For example: Boner, in it's original context, is a stupid mistake. If you read old stories or comic books, you will find the word boner and back then it was used in that context. In modern day we think of boners and we think of erections. People have the power to change in what context words are being used in. If I were to call one of my friends nigga anytime between 1776 and 1965, chances are people would find it more offensive than me calling one of my friends my nigga today. The word is used in a different context, people still get offended due to its previous racist purpose, and it's those that get offended who play a part in keeping racism alive.

If i throw a ball at somebody and they catch it and throw it back, then i throw it back, they throw it back and the cycle continues repeating, then the ball will never drop.
If the person who is supposed to catch the ball doesn't want to play, then the game is over. Do you understand what i'm trying to say?