PDA

View Full Version : Which DJ Premier-produced album showcases his best work?

Edgar Erebus
01-12-2008, 05:35 PM
As DJ Premier-produced album I count any rap album that has over 1/3 of the tracks produced by Primo. That resulted in some dope albums falling out and some not so dope coming in... but fuck it, number are a wicked thing.

To me it's a toss-up between Return of the Boom Bap, Hard to Earn, The Sun Rises in the East and Livin' Proof.

Kenny Powers
01-12-2008, 05:58 PM
moment of truth, because he only did 3 songs on illmatic

buckshotstheone
01-12-2008, 06:23 PM
i voted for boom bap, but i think it's safe to say that in 94 Primo owned hip hop. that year he dropped the trifecta (and if you don't know what i'm talking about you got some serious homework to do...)

JRoll
01-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Moment Of Truth

TAURO
01-12-2008, 07:09 PM
From a production standpoint I say his best work was clearly on Group Home's Livin Proof, which is really quite sad when you think about it.

12weLvE
01-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Sun Rises in the East

buckshotstheone
01-12-2008, 07:37 PM
From a production standpoint I say his best work was clearly on Group Home's Livin Proof, which is really quite sad when you think about it.

why is that sad? it just proves that primo is so good that he can even make the worst rappers sound good - group home (dap), afu ra, big shug, i'm sure all those guys would have sold albums and been recognized names had they not used primo. oh wait, afu-ra's 2nd album is proof of the exact opposite....

Jeru
01-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Man, allthough I love Sun Rises...I went with Hard To Earn...that album is just hard

TAURO
01-12-2008, 08:00 PM
why is that sad? it just proves that primo is so good that he can even make the worst rappers sound good - group home (dap), afu ra, big shug, i'm sure all those guys would have sold albums and been recognized names had they not used primo. oh wait, afu-ra's 2nd album is proof of the exact opposite....

Maybe to the average listener, but to real hip hop head that appreciates lyrics Livin Proof was spoilt by the weak lyrics. Primo had some of his best shit on this and in my view it was practically wasted.

Tony Bandana
01-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Step In The Arena ....opened mad doors..

his first real l.p. that broke open his sound ...handz down

buckshotstheone
01-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Man, allthough I love Sun Rises...I went with Hard To Earn...that album is just hard

as far as exclusively produced Primo albums, although it's real close with not only Sun Rises but Daily Op, Hard to Earn definately is the one. i think Code of the Streets alone grabs the title. Suckas Need Bodyguards is some hard ass shit too

buckshotstheone
01-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Maybe to the average listener, but to real hip hop head that appreciates lyrics Livin Proof was spoilt by the weak lyrics. Primo had some of his best shit on this and in my view it was practically wasted.

word, can't disagree but i feel like beats are more "wasted" when they are, say, 1 minute interludes on a FUCKING IMPORT GHOST DOG SOUNDTRACK!!! WHY RZA WHY!!! YOU WASTED THE HOTTEST SHIT ON THIS FUCKING PROJECT!! WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE THESE BEATS TO THE GENERALS!!! sorry, flipped out a little there. but yeah, Livin' Proof is spoiled by weak lyrics, i rarely even listen to that album anymore other than as background music, cause those beats are incredible. but that's why they got instrumental versions of shit. either mix someone you like over it, or just freestyle. seriously, primo beats are the EASIEST beats to freestyle to. no matter what you say it sounds dope, as long as you can flow

TAURO
01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
word, can't disagree but i feel like beats are more "wasted" when they are, say, 1 minute interludes on a FUCKING IMPORT GHOST DOG SOUNDTRACK!!! WHY RZA WHY!!! YOU WASTED THE HOTTEST SHIT ON THIS FUCKING PROJECT!! WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE THESE BEATS TO THE GENERALS!!! sorry, flipped out a little there. but yeah, Livin' Proof is spoiled by weak lyrics, i rarely even listen to that album anymore other than as background music, cause those beats are incredible. but that's why they got instrumental versions of shit. either mix someone you like over it, or just freestyle. seriously, primo beats are the EASIEST beats to freestyle to. no matter what you say it sounds dope, as long as you can flow

You know nothing pisses me off more than hearing dope beats used (and wasted) as skits lol....I feel your pain.

About Livin Proof don't get me wrong I do like the album, I even gave it a decent score in the review thread, it's just it frustrates me when I imagine what someone like Nas would have sounded like over those beats.

oDoUoSoKo
01-12-2008, 08:38 PM
can anyone up Brain Storm's instrumental? that wood be awesome

Jeru
01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
as far as exclusively produced Primo albums, although it's real close with not only Sun Rises but Daily Op, Hard to Earn definately is the one. i think Code of the Streets alone grabs the title. Suckas Need Bodyguards is some hard ass shit too

Truth, Code Of The Streets is greatness...but my joint remains Speak Ya Clout :yes:

TAURO
01-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Best premo joint imo is Mass Appeal.

JRoll
01-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Zonin' on The Ownerz is pure gold.

Maxxx Millisecondz
01-13-2008, 02:52 AM
i went with Sun Rises in the East because of Come Clean alone. that beat is seriously one of the simplest/craziest beats. gets me hyped everytime. i could have easily gone with Return of the Boom Bap, Step in the Arena, Hard to Earn, Illmatic, or Livin Proof as well. although being the asshole i am, i wanted to point out that Step in the Arena came out in 90, not 91. whatever though. excellent choices for that list.

Greek Gheynician Anal Tradition
01-13-2008, 07:33 AM
funky TECHNICIAN

Rame
01-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Gang Starr - Step in the Area definetly.

junius
01-13-2008, 10:24 AM
"Livin' Proof" is the sound of a certain type of street nigga from Brooklyn-- i won't argue they were great mcs but they had style... Premo hears things differently-- look at all the hate Guru gets, for one, and I'll even admit Big Shug bugged me at first... but he's got a cool style within his limitations also. Not every fucking mc has to be a potential "goat" & therefore "Livin' Proof" = great. Any Brooklyn hip-hop album without the words "Lexus" and "Versace" is automatically greater than anyone that does have 'em too so...

Jin10304
01-13-2008, 11:32 AM
You said DJ Premier produced ALBUM, 1/3 doesnt cut it, if anything your choices should be vastly downsized to this

No More Mr Nice Guy [1989]
Step In The Arena [1991]
Daily Operation [1992]
Hard To Earn [1994]
The Sun Rises In The East [1994]
Livin' Proof [1995]
Wrath Of The Math [1996]
Moment Of Truth [1998]
The Ownerz [2003]

Tony Bandana
01-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Best premo joint imo is Mass Appeal.

disagree

Full Clip or Moment Of Truth

then Mass Appeal

Tony Bandana
01-13-2008, 12:03 PM
funky TECHNICIAN

EXCELLENT RECORD

still sounds great today

DJMethods
01-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Hard To Earn

Remember a while back we had a "favourite beats" thread, that was on mine.. Love that, need a good system to appreciate it but damn I love that joint.

famenchuan
01-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Moment of truth for me.

Hard to earn is ill but a few joints bore me a little.

Both Jeru albums I cant really get into. I dont know why but I just dont really enjoy listening to them. I think it has more to do with Jeru then premo though.

Edgar Erebus
01-14-2008, 04:38 AM
You said DJ Premier produced ALBUM, 1/3 doesnt cut it, if anything your choices should be vastly downsized to this

No More Mr Nice Guy [1989]
Step In The Arena [1991]
Daily Operation [1992]
Hard To Earn [1994]
The Sun Rises In The East [1994]
Livin' Proof [1995]
Wrath Of The Math [1996]
Moment Of Truth [1998]
The Ownerz [2003]

Eh yeah, I know, but it would exclude many albums with many dope Premo beats (KRS, MOP) so I decided to expand shit a bit. Plus it would kick out even Livin' Proof, it had one beat by Guru and one by Jaz.

Now I regret I didn't make votes public, just to see who voted for No More Mr. Nice Guy.

claaa7
01-14-2008, 07:10 AM
damn that's a tough one, primo doesn't produce wack shit..
i voted for "wrath of the math" though, it's at least one of the best. group home's debut is close as well.

Durag
01-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I say Wrath of The Math. Amazing beats there, but fuck, cant go wrong with any of the Gangstarr albums, Jeru, KRS, MOP, Finesse etc etc. Amazing discography, what other producer can have such a large discography, and yet maintain an unbelievable level of excellence throughout? - NO ONE

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Hard To Earn...that shit just speaks volumes

Jeru
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Hard To Earn...that shit just speaks volumes

Goddamn right :yes:

Jin10304
01-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Eh yeah, I know, but it would exclude many albums with many dope Premo beats (KRS, MOP) so I decided to expand shit a bit. Plus it would kick out even Livin' Proof, it had one beat by Guru and one by Jaz.

Dope Premo beats does not equal Dope Premo ALBUMS, take out Livin Proof then. Youll only have the GangStarr and Jeru albums. An album is album regardless of the dope Premo contributions, 1/2...1/3...1/4 is not an album

irish ins
01-14-2008, 05:25 PM
gotta go with Jeru - Wrath of the Math, but for about 4 months couldn't stop listening to Afu- Ra's first album shame about the second- with the exception of Dangerous Language and a handful more it kinda sucked in comparison especially the track w/ Ayatollah, who's one of my fave producers.

Edgar Erebus
01-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Dope Premo beats does not equal Dope Premo ALBUMS, take out Livin Proof then. Youll only have the GangStarr and Jeru albums. An album is album regardless of the dope Premo contributions, 1/2...1/3...1/4 is not an album

Look, it's more 'bout that Primo production dominates on the album than it's exclusively Primo produced, right? So that'd mean Liquid Swords can't be regarded as best RZA-produced thing 'cause it has one 4th Disciple beat? Get the fuck outta here.

buckshotstheone
01-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Look, it's more 'bout that Primo production dominates on the album than it's exclusively Primo produced, right? So that'd mean Liquid Swords can't be regarded as best RZA-produced thing 'cause it has one 4th Disciple beat? Get the fuck outta here.

by dude's standards you also can't include "Forever" as a RZA-produced album since you had True Master beat and a Deck beat and probably a 4th disciple beat

WeMadeIt
01-14-2008, 06:01 PM
i voted for boom bap, but i think it's safe to say that in 94 Primo owned hip hop. that year he dropped the trifecta (and if you don't know what i'm talking about you got some serious homework to do...)
suck on my nuts, you pretentious prick.

I picked Livin' Proof.

Jin10304
01-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Then you should of titled it Premos Best Beats that way you could have the original big list

DUMBO
01-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Group Home Is Typically Considered His Best Work - Sad That The Raps Were So Yawn

EQ the GOD
01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
I said Illmatic, just cause I love that album that much.

BRONZBODY
01-15-2008, 02:42 AM
From a production standpoint I say his best work was clearly on Group Home's Livin Proof, which is really quite sad when you think about it.true,i like group home but they were lyracally crippled son...and i also think livin proof is his best work outside of gangstarr

Edgar Erebus
01-16-2008, 04:56 AM
So it seems it's gonna be a fuckup between Sun Rises in the East, Livin' Proof and Moment of Truth.

I'm quite surprised there is someone that voted for No More Mr. Nice Guy, but none for Daily Operation.

Then you should of titled it Premos Best Beats that way you could have the original big list

Premo's best beats? That shit implifies that it's looked at song by song. Mah, whatever.
It's just a fucking thread name

J-Ronin
01-16-2008, 11:37 AM
I am a big Primo head. I have dozens of his 12 inches on vinyl and all the albums named. I've been in the studio with him, watched him record. Not to sound corny, one time he asked me and Sav Killz to do drops for his radio show ! I was happy. I was like "Word primo wants me to do a drop! Thats what it is"

DJ Premier is such a cool, humble cat. i have so much respect for him as a man and also his work as a producer.

Anyway I had to go with Moment of Truth. The way he chops up the beats. Production wise that is one of the greatest albums to me of all time! You know my steeze, Work, The Militia, Above the Clouds, JFK to LAX that joint had so many bangers!

Just my 2 cents.

Peace y'all!

-J

LuckyTheWonderDog
01-16-2008, 11:41 AM
^^^ Probably have to agree with you there J. Although there's so many dope albums in that list it's not an easy decision.

Been playing Lord Finesse - Funky Technician a lot recently. Another really dope album.