PDA

View Full Version : I wonder why AZ didn't make it like Nas and Gay-Z....

SL33
01-18-2008, 06:51 PM
i mean he is too, too ill....i'm listening Mo Money Mo Murder right now....damn...

SaqurakiHanamichi
01-18-2008, 07:05 PM
he dident expand his sound , he doesnt change up, thats why he is boring to me

but ya some newjack that just got into rap will tell me i dont know anything , and that im crazy but the truth is the kats that been listening to rap for years ,know what im talkin about .

TSA
01-18-2008, 07:07 PM
promotion

SL33
01-18-2008, 07:09 PM

but ya some newjack that just got into rap will tell me i dont know anything , and that im crazy but the truth is the kats that been listening to rap for years ,know what im talkin about .

I'm not ''some newjack'' but i get your point.

junius
01-18-2008, 07:25 PM
SPONSORHIP, by which I mean look at the labels he was on... OK, Memphis Bleek has four (4!!) totally mediocre (decent production, zero content) albums bc Jay backs him... certainly, however, AZ could have had the exposure of a Beanie (four cds on Def Jam), kills Freeway (can't believe how wack that new one is)...

the larger problem is is AZ came up in street & was never crossover material. Hate or love him, Jay has range as a club/party rapper. AZ, on the other hand, lost the Brooklyn gutter feel & hasnt found anything to replace it, tho' his last two cds are very good, I think, & the "Memphis Sessions" remix nice also.

AZ also has ZERO backpacker Def Jux/Mos Def/Talib fans, none, which doesn't help with the #s.

SIDENOTE: some of ya'll know I beefed hard on Beanie's verse on "Big Doe Rehab" but the last few days I've been listening to "The Solution" and-- whoa-- Ghost's guest spot there (with Diddy?!) is excellent, and better than at least half the stuff on "BDR." these are strange times.

Cesar
01-18-2008, 07:33 PM
AZ is one of my favorite rappers, I have all his album, the reason why he never blew up was because of the production, He needed a good commercial single, and the ones he had were mediocore. Like Nas had Illmatic but he really blew up after he dropped "If I Ruled The World" song. same thing thing for Jay Z, he had Reasonable Doubt, then In My Lifetime, even though he made more noise with Reasonable Doubt than In My Lifetime but he didnt really blew up til he dropped "Hard Knock Life" album that shit was packed with singles. "Can I get A, Its Hard Knock Life, Its Alright, Jigga What, Money Aint A Thang, also Money Cash Hoes" that was Jay Z's biggest selling album. All AZ lacked was a good single or two to get really known. But he is still one of my favorites! His new album is coming soon and its fire!!!

Cesar
01-18-2008, 07:52 PM
And to the thread starter im guessin by your title of ur thread u dont like Jay Z, see this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hclKVOajDPk

Also give "The Blueprint" album a good listen. Classic! from beggining to end.

BRONZBODY
01-18-2008, 08:12 PM
AZ is one of my favorite rappers, I have all his album, the reason why he never blew up was because of the production, He needed a good commercial single, and the ones he had were mediocore. Like Nas had Illmatic but he really blew up after he dropped "If I Ruled The World" song. same thing thing for Jay Z, he had Reasonable Doubt, then In My Lifetime, even though he made more noise with Reasonable Doubt than In My Lifetime but he didnt really blew up til he dropped "Hard Knock Life" album that shit was packed with singles. "Can I get A, Its Hard Knock Life, Its Alright, Jigga What, Money Aint A Thang, also Money Cash Hoes" that was Jay Z's biggest selling album. All AZ lacked was a good single or two to get really known. But he is still one of my favorites! His new album is coming soon and its fire!!!

i agree,aziatic is a classic(imo)

Kenny Powers
01-18-2008, 09:32 PM
one of life's great mysteries

SaqurakiHanamichi
01-18-2008, 09:47 PM
one of life's great mysteries

no...

"never backwards "stupid" here is another classic"
-nas ....

main_man
01-19-2008, 12:10 AM
he never really dumbed down his flow, bottom line.
jay-z admitted he blew up when he dumbed it down. and nas slowed it down on a lot of his joints. az has some blatent crossover attempts, but it never suits his style. he's a thinking man's mc, and the majority of busters that jump on bandwagons can't grasp this real mc.

Maxxx Millisecondz
01-19-2008, 12:52 AM
because Nas and "Gay-Z" did....

J-DON
01-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Id say the thing about AZ was that he was just Nas part 2 and Nas was still for the most part better and also creative and original with his concepts and choice of beats so hes basically the knock off nas to me sometimes. Some of you might flip at this but its how ive always felt and thats how most of these QB dudes other than the obvious like tribe and mobb deep sound to me ie lake,cormega,az and pretty much every dude that nas tried to put on.

dont get me wrong I think he does what he does very well but he just doesnt have a distinct type of flavour to me.

Rame
01-19-2008, 06:04 AM
I wonder why The Come Up was on A.W.O.L, that album is wack.
Only other good song is Magic Hour.

I also think it's because he didn't change, he's a good mc but everything sounds the same.

swizz-chef
01-19-2008, 06:27 AM
maybe he will do NOW... with stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUfyu-RFWYs

from the upcoming album, hope it'll be fire like this track

SL33
01-19-2008, 07:09 AM
And to the thread starter im guessin by your title of ur thread u dont like Jay Z, see this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hclKVOajDPk

Also give "The Blueprint" album a good listen. Classic! from beggining to end.

blueprint is ill, but i can't stand him because of his pop shit....

Rame
01-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Another hater exposed. ^

SL33
01-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Another hater exposed. ^

no, i have utmost respect 4 blueprint, but i can't stand songs like give it to me, umbrella change clothes etc...all rappers did pop, but what's much is much.....

mofo
01-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Because he didn't suck dick like Nas or Jay-Z

J-Ronin
01-19-2008, 02:04 PM
lack of promotions, lack of club and party joints (that were good), sometimes weak beats. Shitty deals. AZ needs a label that really believes in him that wants to make him a star with the right promo, street teams and all that.

I was really feeling "The Format" "AWOL" was decent too.

kwabena1041
01-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Yeah AZ needed that one or two good R&B/HIP HOP joints, like his sugar hill joint, but shorty he did the song with has fallen off. He should try to get an Alysia Keys/Keisha Cole/Mary J single, over a simple as easy sampled joint like the sugar hill joint.
Personally I love AZ one of my all time fav MC

I dont understand why niggas be hattin Jay soo much. I mean if u love Hip Hop u cant knock Jay. He has mad loads of underground hard core real Hip Hop over the years. Its okay to make some money from the pop audience, he has contributed to the culture alot. Im glad he gettin his money, especially after he squashed beef with my nigga NAS its all Good

Cesar
01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
no, i have utmost respect 4 blueprint, but i can't stand songs like give it to me, umbrella change clothes etc...all rappers did pop, but what's much is much.....

Aint nutin wrong with some fun songs except for "Unbrella" that song "Give It To Me" is one of my favorites commercial tracks, listen to the first few lines, it goes something like

When the remy is in the system
Aint no tellin will i fuck em or will i diss em
thats what they be yellin
Im a PIMP BY BLOOD
no relations
ya be CHASE them, i REPLACE them

thats one of my favorite lines right there, its all fun u know.

Rame
01-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Because he didn't suck dick like Nas or Jay-Z

Because, according to you, that's the only way to success?

mofo
01-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Because, according to you, that's the only way to success?
Foxy Brown and lil kim actually did and they're sitting in their millions. The only thing that makes az different than nas and jay-z is that he didn't switch his style up and let others tell him how to make music.

Rame
01-19-2008, 05:54 PM
IMO it would be a good thing if he switches his style a bit once in a while.

Prolifical ENG
01-19-2008, 05:59 PM
because Nas and "Gay-Z" did....

yup.

SaqurakiHanamichi
01-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Foxy Brown and lil kim actually did and they're sitting in their millions. The only thing that makes az different than nas and jay-z is that he didn't switch his style up and let others tell him how to make music.

the only difference from nas and az, is that nas is a real artist that can change up styles, be creative .. On the other hand az is stuck at 1995. how boring

FiRe WaTeR
01-19-2008, 10:58 PM
SPONSORHIP, by which I mean look at the labels he was on... OK, Memphis Bleek has four (4!!) totally mediocre (decent production, zero content) albums bc Jay backs him... certainly, however, AZ could have had the exposure of a Beanie (four cds on Def Jam), kills Freeway (can't believe how wack that new one is)...

the larger problem is is AZ came up in street & was never crossover material. Hate or love him, Jay has range as a club/party rapper. AZ, on the other hand, lost the Brooklyn gutter feel & hasnt found anything to replace it, tho' his last two cds are very good, I think, & the "Memphis Sessions" remix nice also.

AZ also has ZERO backpacker Def Jux/Mos Def/Talib fans, none, which doesn't help with the #s.

SIDENOTE: some of ya'll know I beefed hard on Beanie's verse on "Big Doe Rehab" but the last few days I've been listening to "The Solution" and-- whoa-- Ghost's guest spot there (with Diddy?!) is excellent, and better than at least half the stuff on "BDR." these are strange times.

First of all Free At Last was real hot. Freeway has grown as a lyricist and the production on that cd is better than any cd released this year.

Polocash7
01-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah AZ needed that one or two good R&B/HIP HOP joints, like his sugar hill joint, but shorty he did the song with has fallen off. He should try to get an Alysia Keys/Keisha Cole/Mary J single, over a simple as easy sampled joint like the sugar hill joint.
Personally I love AZ one of my all time fav MC

I dont understand why niggas be hattin Jay soo much. I mean if u love Hip Hop u cant knock Jay. He has mad loads of underground hard core real Hip Hop over the years. Its okay to make some money from the pop audience, he has contributed to the culture alot. Im glad he gettin his money, especially after he squashed beef with my nigga NAS its all Good
There u go. He never put out another single like Sugar Hill. I love Az's music and I know him family. Still,he could use a switch to his flow once in a while. A Nas/AZ LP would have helped his career 9 or 10 years ago

urbanlegendmf
01-20-2008, 03:27 PM

GAY-Z IS MORE BORING THEN THE GOD AZ

Rame
01-20-2008, 03:35 PM
You are boredom.

main_man
01-20-2008, 11:02 PM
i gotta say, i like az slightly better than nas as a mc. and i think he has a stronger discography.

SaqurakiHanamichi
01-21-2008, 12:12 AM
GAY-Z IS MORE BORING THEN THE GOD AZ

how? his beats are fresh...

az still uses beats from his 1995 collection
ahhahaha

Rame
01-21-2008, 05:23 AM
^ Can't front on songs like The Format or The Come Up though.

Jin10304
01-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Magic Hour is my shit

CharlesJones
01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
AZ hasn't been successful as Nas and Jay-Z because he never tried to chase album sales like they have. AZ is strictly a underground mc and i don't have a problem with that. He knows his fans like street lyrical music so that's the type of style he wants to continue to do. Only problem i've always had with AZ is his beats. That's why i don't like his albums. He always has some songs i like from his albums but i can't listen to his albums all the way through.