PDA

View Full Version : Metallica Vs. ...And Justice for All

oDoUoSoKo
01-24-2008, 12:01 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/Metallica_-_Metallica.jpg

Vs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Metallica_and_justice_for_all_a.jpg

i think this is a great Vs. and i must tell u guys to keep biased opinions at bay because the Black Album carries alot of negative connotations

id say, and i have voiced this opinion alot...that And justice has their worst production, and was released at the worst time...the black album on the contr. had great production, but alot less creative drive then And justice, and was so much closer to their old style that i loved. I do hate how people completley abandoned them after the black album...but i do agree that And justice was obviously more like their old shit.

my vote is an EQUAL call, and a straight up tie...because what one lacks, the other has, and vice vers. for this reason, equal is available as a choice.

thoughts?

oDoUoSoKo
01-24-2008, 10:05 AM
the black album picture should be showing.

Ya_Bane
01-24-2008, 11:57 AM
... And Justice For All... Not by much tho, it's my third or fourth favorite Metallica-album, and Black Album comes in on fifth. Harvester of Sorrow.. Dyers Eve.. One.. Eye of the Beholder.. Sickness.

Black got some weaker spots, Struggle Within, Holier than Thou and Through The Never - never felt them quite as much as the majority of their catalogue. Still an amazing album tho.

btw Dusk, have you seen or tried this out?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T35iegAZAs

oDoUoSoKo
01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
nah chill...eloels...im getting the game soon...that looks mad hard..eloels.

J-DON
01-24-2008, 09:07 PM
A remastered justice would show that its definitely a top album from them.

oDoUoSoKo
01-24-2008, 10:59 PM
i still think it is regardless....top 4...eloels..

J-DON
01-25-2008, 12:36 AM
it has their most intricate guitar work.

oDoUoSoKo
01-25-2008, 09:47 AM
u mean and justice? the guitar is good, not their best...thats prob. Master of...or Ride the Lightning.

Skellington
01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
..And Justice For All

"Justice lost, justice raped, justice is gone........."

AJFA owns alot of metal albums except for "Master Of Puppets" :)

oDoUoSoKo
01-25-2008, 11:00 AM
scratchy ass guitars piss me off....it doesnt even sound raw, it sounds lazy and sloppy...great writing tho...musically and lyrically.

Skellington
01-25-2008, 11:07 AM
My opinion....Metallica fell ever since "Metallica-Black Album".....the whole change of style...pissed me off....Their last good album was AJFA.....not that I'm saying Black Album had no good songs cause it does.But that wasn't Metallica anymore.

oDoUoSoKo
01-25-2008, 11:17 AM
yea, thats what everyone says.

INF
01-25-2008, 02:44 PM
I vote Black. I definitely grew with that album. I heard the prior ones but didnt get it. Black album got me goin.

Now...Out of every Metallica album , I would say that Ride the Lightning is the best.

Reason why I aint vote and justice for all cuz that album just stretches on too long. So did Master of puppets. Great riffs and subject matter on both but the running time of the songs is ridiculous.

RIP Cliff though , they banged it out for dude on and justice. You could tell they was pissed.

Black album is just the essence of an album. Non skippable , takes you through a lot of moods.

oDoUoSoKo
01-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I vote Black. I definitely grew with that album. I heard the prior ones but didnt get it. Black album got me goin.

Now...Out of every Metallica album , I would say that Ride the Lightning is the best.

Reason why I aint vote and justice for all cuz that album just stretches on too long. So did Master of puppets. Great riffs and subject matter on both but the running time of the songs is ridiculous.

RIP Cliff though , they banged it out for dude on and justice. You could tell they was pissed.

Black album is just the essence of an album. Non skippable , takes you through a lot of moods.
^^ bands can only wish for their bass Drums to sound like that^^

aside from that, i wonder what Metallica would be like with cliff still...probably much better, that guy was amazing,,, anesthesia is my shit.

Cthulhu
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
The Black Album is the # 1 most overrated rock/heavy metal album of all time in my opinion. I prefer to call it by the nickname "The Weight Room Album" or "The High School Jock" album.

Basically I think it fucking sucks. It's thrash metal watered down for radio play. Fuck that shit. Metallica are the classic sell-out story in heavy metal.

Ok, I'm done with ranting. Or I'll try at least not to rant.

...And Justice For All is the last good Metallica album. I agree it could have used some cutting in some areas. "Frayed Ends of Sanity" could have easily gone B-side and no one would miss it. For the most part, I don't mind the song structures. I like music that takes you through a lot of twists and turns. I especially love the instrumental "To Live is to Die." It's so beautiful.

But the songs on Master of Puppets are too long? Are you shitting me? Masters of Puppets is one of the most praised albums in metal and not for just any reason. I'll be the first to admit that as a seasoned metalhead I've grown tired of it because I've heard it enough and heard all the praise for it. It's now one of those albums like Sgt. Peppers that has to make every top 10 list. But there's no way you can say that album has any filler. Every song flows logically, even the long ones...even the Orion the long instrumental.

As for Justice's production.....yeah it pales in comparison to their previous albums, but if you really think it's that bad, you must not have heard much thrash metal from the 80s. Now I understand Metallica (and maybe to a lesser extent, Megadeth and Slayer) is one of those bands that even people who don't really listen to that genre will get exposed to (I believe someone once said the same about Tupac in relation to rap). Just be thankful that ...And Justice is clear enough to hear most everything being played. There are a crapload of thrash metal, speed metal and early death and black metal albums that have production ranging from raw to absolutely horrid. Most people unacquainted with the genre would probably find them to be trash, but a lot of these are landmark releases held in high esteem by thrash devotees. Now I know that means fuck-all to someone who just casually listens to metal, but basically I'm saying complaining about ...And Justice's production is like complaining about 36 Chambers' production compared to Forever.

Sorry if I come off as a dick here. I'm just trying to give the perspective of metal fan.

oDoUoSoKo
01-28-2008, 09:54 AM
it doesnt sound like the thrash metal albums of its time...in a bad way, all those thrash metal albums sounded raw..purposefully, this sounds terrible...by accident, and pure laziness...

Cthulhu
01-29-2008, 11:32 PM
it doesnt sound like the thrash metal albums of its time...in a bad way, all those thrash metal albums sounded raw..purposefully, this sounds terrible...by accident, and pure laziness...

Actually alot of those bands sounded raw because they were poor and didn't have the budget for a nice studio, or they didn't have the budget for a producer who knew how to mix heavy metal right.

Just curious, though, which albums are you referring to? The stuff I have in mind are early albums by Sodom or Bathory. The production values were shit, but the pure rawness became an integral part of the atmosphere (and just about every Norwegian black metal band tried to mimic that accidental raw sound in the early 90s).

...And Justice For All sounds like Load/Reload compared to a lot of classic thrash albums is all I'm saying, but yeah, it is a pretty big fuck up that the guitars and bass are really thin for no good reason. It's just that I'm really used to that thin guitar sound from listening to a lot of black metal where it's almost a prerequisite to sound like that.

Dante
01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Justice

oDoUoSoKo
01-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Actually alot of those bands sounded raw because they were poor and didn't have the budget for a nice studio, or they didn't have the budget for a producer who knew how to mix heavy metal right.

Just curious, though, which albums are you referring to? The stuff I have in mind are early albums by Sodom or Bathory. The production values were shit, but the pure rawness became an integral part of the atmosphere (and just about every Norwegian black metal band tried to mimic that accidental raw sound in the early 90s).

...And Justice For All sounds like Load/Reload compared to a lot of classic thrash albums is all I'm saying, but yeah, it is a pretty big fuck up that the guitars and bass are really thin for no good reason. It's just that I'm really used to that thin guitar sound from listening to a lot of black metal where it's almost a prerequisite to sound like that.
i guess i meant more Megadeth, and like Death and shit..