PDA

View Full Version : Greatest graphic novels/comics of all time?

Paranoid
02-11-2008, 12:32 AM
I already have - Batman: Year One, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Ronin, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, From Hell

Still need/want - 300, Swamp Thing: Volumes 1-6, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volumes 1-2 & The Black Dossier, Lost Girls, Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Kingdom Come, Akira: Volumes 1-6

What are some of your favorites? What should I add to the list?

Paranoid
02-14-2008, 05:06 PM
I guess nobody reads them...

born invincible
02-14-2008, 06:48 PM
yo i heard those metal gear solid graphic novels were pretty nice... i been wanting to check those out.

SickSide
02-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Dr Strange

Paranoid
02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
yo i heard those metal gear solid graphic novels were pretty nice... i been wanting to check those out.

Interesting...wasn't aware they existed

Paranoid
02-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Dr Strange

sounds familiar, i'll check it out

oDoUoSoKo
02-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Origins...Wolverine....OHH and Weapon X...more importantly..

main_man
02-20-2008, 12:56 PM
the entire preacher series. any punisher max is always good. mf grimm "sentences". pride of baghdad. wanted. alias (the marvel max series). cage (the marvel max series). tons of good shit.
def cop that kingdom come. one of my personal favorites of all time.

Paranoid
02-26-2008, 03:04 AM
Origins...Wolverine....OHH and Weapon X...more importantly..

yea i heard the frank miller wolverine is very good and ive also heard good things about weapon x. are there any other good marvel ones?

TAURO
02-26-2008, 03:23 AM
Age Of Apocalypes series is great.

Twiztid-Wutang
06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
My picks for the best graphic novels.

300 By Frank miller
Watchmen by Alan moore
V for Vendetta by Alan Moore
Marvels by Alex ross
Kingdom Come By Alex ross
Y the last man by Brian Vaughn
Batman: The Long halloween by Jeph Loeb
Batman: The Hush vol 1 and 2 by Jeph loeb
Captain America volume 4 Omnibus by Ed brubaker
Civil War by Mark Millar
Avengers Diassassembled by Brian bendis
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank miller
Sin city volumes 1-7 By Frank Miller

And thats just to name a few

oDoUoSoKo
06-02-2008, 09:54 PM
The Long halloween is Superb, and u guys more or less summed they best ones up...

ill think of more..

LuckyTheWonderDog
06-03-2008, 04:04 AM
I'll add my support to the suggestions of: Batman: Long Halloween, Batman: Hush, Preecher, Punisher (Garth Ennis' run), Kingdom come, Y The Last Man, Swamp Thing & Marvels.

I'd also recommend:

On going series:

Criminal
100 Bullets
Batman (about to go nuts)

Finished runs:

Sandman (Neil Gaiman's Vertigo series)
Top 10
All-Star Superman
The Invisibles
Lobo (download or buy the few available TPBs)
Seven Soldiers
Promethea
Maus
Star Wars Manga

Single books:

Superman: Secret Identity
The Death and Return Of Superman
DC: New Frontier
Planet Hulk
World War Hulk
Daredevil - Frank Miller Omnibus
Filth
Batman: Dark Victory (sequel to Long Halloween)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
DC Universe: The Stories Of Alan Moore (includes the sublime 'Batman: The Killing Joke')

oDoUoSoKo
06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
if u could find that Miller Wolverine mini series...roll with that!!

LuckyTheWonderDog
06-04-2008, 03:58 AM
This one?

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/782/millerwolverinepu4.png

TAURO
06-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Im about to go on a serious graphic novel spending spree starting with Civil War, also on my to get list are the Akira books.

LuckyTheWonderDog
06-04-2008, 05:48 AM
I've been looking to read Civil War, but from what I've heard the problem is just how many books there are in total, and the fact that it's best to start with all of Avengers Disassembled and then House Of M. If you bought all of those series it would cost hundreds and hundreds of pounds.

I've been buying other stuff, and i'm just d/l all parts of those three series from Nakhi's thread.

I'd recommend checking the www.forbiddenplanet.com (http://www.forbiddenplanet.com) and www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk (http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk) websites (actually different companies) Tauro. They're usually the cheapest place to buy graphic novels in England. Note: the .co.uk one is much cheaper for postage.

TAURO
06-04-2008, 05:51 AM
I've already read Disassembled and House of M. In terms of Civil War im only going to get the main Civil War book, Prelude to Civil War and Front Line 1&2

LuckyTheWonderDog
06-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Fair enough.

For the really epic arcs that affect the whole Marvel/DC world, I try to read all associated books.

TAURO
06-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Also I would advise to buy your books online, you save alot more that way.

LuckyTheWonderDog
06-04-2008, 06:05 AM
Yeah, at the Forbidden Planet shop I saw several books I bought from their website (the .com one) for roughly half as much again. I'm talking a 32 book on the website is about 50 in the shop!

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
guys I have alot of what you are looking for save your pennies and just give me a day or two to get a list together on what I have...........

I will post it in my thread real soon......

LuckyTheWonderDog
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Thing is man reading a comic on a computer screen really isn't the same. Especially as I mostly read out and about on buses and trains and stuff. I generally only d/l massive series I can't afford to buy. I'll always wanna pick up classic books unless I'm short of the cash.

Are you getting these online or scanning your own books Nakhi? Cos most of the things listed on the previous page can easily be found on these sites:

www.megadownload.com (http://www.megadownload.com)
www.shareminer.com (http://www.shareminer.com)

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
nah I got a private site that has a huge comic scene and those guys are really great usually only takes at most 1/2 a day to get any arc/or series/or individual book I want.....

I hear you about reading on the bus and all but I got a 22" widescreen monitor and truth be told I love it,

I could never afford all the shit I have gotten in the past few months......

think about it the whole Civil War arc including tie ins?

that alone would have sent me to the poor house.....lol

LuckyTheWonderDog
06-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah, like I said I'll download Avengers Disassembled, House Of M & Civil War, but I'll buy Watchmen, Batman: Year One, Dark Knight Returns etc.

I wanna get a laptop or something at some point and then i'll read more digital comics. I'd love a tablet PC but they're fuckin expensive.

TAURO
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
As much as I appreciate the work you've put in Nakhi im a bit of a traditionalist, I enjoy reading them in bed and such, not really a fan of reading them on a screen. Saying that though some of what you've upped already I will download but since im a bit of a marvel head I would rather buy a few of the Civil War books.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
06-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I hear you Tauro....

I am like that with certain Music artists....

but you know since I read alot of books I cannot afford to go out and buy em all the time(3 kids, 2 cats, a wife, a ex-wife....etc)

TAURO
06-04-2008, 01:44 PM
I hear you Tauro....

I am like that with certain Music artists....

but you know since I read alot of books I cannot afford to go out and buy em all the time(3 kids, 2 cats, a wife, a ex-wife....etc)

I hear you on that, sometimes it's just a lack of space to put everything, my cd collection is in a right state right now because their starting to really pile up now.

oDoUoSoKo
06-06-2008, 08:40 PM
yeah, i need the physical copies too...i can read them while taking a shit and such...

Poetic Wun
07-11-2009, 09:08 PM
favorite series or mini series or whatever.... best comic I ever read in my life was Silver Surfer: Requiem

almost cried word up.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-11-2009, 09:11 PM
^^^ya that one's really great, esad ribic's art is beautiful in that too, and jms killed the storyline

i read this probably 2 weeks after my grandfather passed and it did make me cry a little bit

Poetic Wun
07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
everyone I know that read it/i had read it said the same. I honestly couldn't believe how well it all came together, it all fit hand in hand. the story needed the art just as the art with the story. I think it was really under rated tho. there wasn't a lot of comic heads I knew hypin it.

what's your fav

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-11-2009, 10:00 PM
ya, it's criminally underrated...it should be an undisputed classic, hopefully it will eventually attain that status

as far as my favorites, i couldn't pick just one...off the top of my head

v for vendetta
watchmen
promethea
fables
sandman
inhumans (paul jenkins and jae lee)
warlock (jim starlin)
swamp thing (alan moore)
batman year one
batman dark knight returns
the adventures of luther arkwright
stray toasters

oDoUoSoKo
07-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Infinity Gauntlet, Miller's Daredevil shit, Sandman, and Sin City...and of course Madman

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
^^^infinity gauntlet was my first exposure to cosmic epics...that was my shit i think i was in like third grade when that came out and i went insane trying to buy all the tie-ins...the spider-man tie in is a classic...he dies and tries to fight thanos in front of death...you can probably get it for cheap...maybe nostalgia's talking but i loved it...also the silver surfer tie-ins were awesome

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/spider-man/17-1.jpg

you should get the marvel masterworks warlock book...it's jim starlin at his acidhead best from the 70s...it's the original saga of his war against thanos and magus...

http://www.collectededitions.com/marvel/mm/warlock/images/mm_war02_3b.jpg
just get this volume...volume 1 is by roy thomas and gil kane and is not that hot...has nothing to do with this storyline

Poetic Wun
07-11-2009, 10:45 PM
inhumans, fables and V are nice. never could get into the rest. when I was younger the characters expanded beyond my mind frame so I dismissed alot of good shit, unfortunately. the original wonder woman run was ill, I thought, despite what it was reaching for. can't say much for the art but it was written well relatively speaking lol.

Infinity Gauntlet, Miller's Daredevil shit, Sandman, and Sin City...and of course Madman
when I was a wee little baby my step dads sister shoved miller down my throat. I never really cared for Dark Knight but I was naive then. yellow was superb and from then on DD been my shit so that's prolly my 3rd fav is Millers DD. Sin City was fresh man, I doubted it at first but I never regretted picking that up.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-11-2009, 10:51 PM
^^^i need to get caught up on sin city...i've just read the first one with marv and a dame to kill for...

hellboy's good also but i've only got the first 3 graphic novels so i can't comment on how consistent it is

Poetic Wun
07-11-2009, 10:56 PM
how old are you P?

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-11-2009, 10:59 PM
^^^25...been reading comics since i was like 5...think my first exposure was a spidey coloring book before that lol

you?

Poetic Wun
07-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I was 8, I got adopted when I was 6 by my pops so I had a fam that finally had dough to buy shit other than beans lol but his sister was a comic head so she got me diggin it more than she anticipated I think.

Poetic Wun
07-11-2009, 11:23 PM
cap was prolly my first love in comics. I thought he was invincible.

you?

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-12-2009, 10:30 AM
probably batman or spider-man...my dad was a comic head from the old school, jack kirby's his art god and fantastic four is his favorite shit.

sdeblasi
07-12-2009, 12:39 PM
not to be cliche but im surprised no one mentioned the Dark Phoenix Saga

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-12-2009, 01:13 PM
^^^to me giant size x-men #1, and uncanny x-men #94-142 is a saga in it's own right.

but yes this is definitely a classic, but to me you have to include shit like the proteus story and days of future past and the phoenix saga with the m'kraan crystal so that it has complete context.

sdeblasi
07-12-2009, 01:54 PM
^ yea i agree all that shit is beyond classic

Claremonts Entire run on uncanny should be required reading for anyone interested at all in x-men...well at least the first 100 or so issues

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-12-2009, 02:20 PM
^^^ya i'd say his run peaked with 'fall of the mutants' after that it kind of meanders until jim lee started drawing it and even then it was nowhere near the quality of when he was working with byrne or paul smith.

oDoUoSoKo
07-12-2009, 05:03 PM
which is a shame, because i love Jim lee's art on X Men.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
^^^me too, i think the shi'ar storyline in the 270s and x-men 1-3 hold up with claremont's best i guess...but those issues he did with john byrne are like the pinnacle of mainstream all-ages superhero comics imo

Poetic Wun
07-13-2009, 04:12 AM
word ^

abanks47
08-11-2009, 05:56 AM
Punisher Max, 100 Bullets, Darkness and of course The Goon. Peep that if you have not already

Joe-Jetson
11-20-2009, 07:23 AM
In terms of graphic novels don't sleep on "The Preacher". The mix of story, graphics and word is beyond anything done 'til now.
With no margin for doubt at all.
I think they will make a movie out of it soon.

Also Tank Girl (by the guy who designed Gorillaz) is very fun reading with awesome, gritty graphics.

My first post y'all.
Jus to drop some 'not so mainstream, not so heroish comics.

peace.

Dr. Simon Hurt
11-20-2009, 08:09 AM
the only good tank girl are the hewlett miniseries imo (although the series drawn by rufus dayglo and ashley wood have great art)...i think dark horse is reissuing those right now.

Living-jism
03-21-2010, 07:35 PM
The watchmen.

I really like "The Slavers" issue of The punisher.

Paranoid
04-07-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm so glad you could make it. I have so many things to tell you. You must be feeling quite fragile by now, I expect. This house, it...does things to the mind. Now where was I? Where am I? Where will I be? Ah yes. The apparent disorder of the universe is simply a higher order, an implicate order beyond our comprehension. That's why children...interest me. They're all mad you see. But in each of them is an implicate adult. Order out of chaos. Or is it the other way around? To know them is to know myself. Little girls, especially. Little blonde girls. Little shameless bitches.

Dr. Simon Hurt
04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
^^^mad hatter from arkham asylum?

Paranoid
04-08-2010, 06:57 AM
^^^mad hatter from arkham asylum?

yezzir

TheBoarzHeadBoy
10-20-2010, 06:12 PM
"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

CuzinBilly
07-15-2012, 12:09 AM
I guess nobody reads them...

the dark knight strikes again

Fatal Guillotine
07-20-2012, 11:00 AM
I already have - Batman: Year One, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Ronin, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, From Hell

Still need/want - 300, Swamp Thing: Volumes 1-6, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volumes 1-2 & The Black Dossier, Lost Girls, Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Kingdom Come, Akira: Volumes 1-6

What are some of your favorites? What should I add to the list?

think this is a known even for those that dont really read graphic novels/comics