PDA

View Full Version : battle of the black legends of music

DUMBO
02-20-2008, 05:01 PM
right on!

DUMBO
02-20-2008, 05:07 PM
i'm about to make a poll on the top origator signature artists for particular black music genres, add on...pls.

the point of the poll will be to select the greatest eva.

Funk - James Brown
Afro-Beat - Fela Kuti
Reggae - Bob Marley
Soul - Marvin Gaye (hard choice tho)
Rock and Roll - Chuck Berry

let's leave hip hop out of this, too controversial.

DUMBO
02-20-2008, 05:08 PM
shit almost forgot Jazz

Jazz - Miles Davis
Blues - ???

INF
02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
what about punk rock? bad brains deserve that shit for the DC hardcore movement.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Blues, Delta Blues, is usually traced back to Charley Patton, and it spawned artists like Son House, Robert Johnson, etc.

When it moved north the Chicago (Chess Records) they started using electric guitar, hence electric blues....guys like Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, etc.

Than you had Jump blues which was a combination of blues, gospel, boogie woogie, jazz and something else, i forget. Little Richards songs, while he claims to be the first rock n roll artist, are more jump blues i thought...

But in my opinion, Chuck Berry was the first Rock n Roll star. My vote goes to Chuck Berry.

DUMBO
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
^^ hey you seem to know a bit about blues. i know Robert Cray is pop but can you tell me some other cats that make that sort of blues. shit is clear crisp and good for the ladies.

I like Olu Daras stuff too.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Actually I'm taking a class right now Roots of Rock and Soul....and the Blues are part of the root of rock n roll.

Sonny Boy Williamson, Robert Lockwoode Jr., B.B. King, Willie Dixon.....And a whole lot more.

Also check out Bo Diddley, Fats Domino.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-20-2008, 09:45 PM
These guys im naming are all the old timers.....I couldnt tell ya any of the current acts...although Rober Lockwoode Jr. just recently passed away.

Alot of people seem to really love Robert Johnson...he supposedly sold his soul to the devil for his talent. Coincidentally he was murdered at 27. Lockwoode was taught guitar by Johnson. But this goes hand in hand with belief, in those days, that Blues was the devils music.

Its funny, anytime a new music comes out, its the 'devils' music....the more things change, the more they stay the same.

wuswordz95
02-20-2008, 10:04 PM
MUDDY WATERS and john lee hooker are tight

DUMBO
02-21-2008, 06:30 AM
i'm looking for pussy blues. robert cray - take girl's panties off blues. no any of that?

Jeru
02-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Blues - Elmore James or Robert Johnson :yes:

DUMBO
02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
^^ pussy blues???

Olive Oil Goombah
02-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Blues isn't really rip a girls panties off music...its BLUES!

Just stick with some R&B....which is partly blues, but not the delta blues or chicago blues we are talking about.

Although Im sure you could find something worthwhile.

Isaac Washington
02-21-2008, 07:53 PM
OP:
would be good, maybe, too do a past/present option?

DUMBO
02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
zeen

junius
02-22-2008, 05:10 PM
alright, i'll play-- first, blues is just one form of music, & a pretty flexible one at that-- it was whitey who later got hung up on "definition." Robert Cray is pretty lame, the Nelly of '80s & onwards blues BUT... he does have his functions. best of the bunch is was "Strong Persuader," which had decent songs.

the thing is, Cray is ** really ** closer to a mediocre soul dude but because played guitar in time when NO soul blacks did anymore... he comes "blues."

FOUR DOT-- the shit you're lookin' for is the best of the early '60s to early '70s blues, i strongly recommend Lowell Fulson (some of his stuff is often sampled), the early B.B. King stuff and, on the more soulful side, the GENIUS O.V. Wright (better than fucking Otis Redding) and old guy Jimmy McCracklin.

** BOBBY "BLUE" BLAND ** fucks your mom, grandmom, sister & they ALL ask him to come back & give him more. Any/everything of his from the '60s through the mid-'70s probably kills.

if you want Robert Cray contemporaries... pussy doesn't know better but if you MUST stay contemporary, dunno, look at a Bullshot, Blacktop or Alligator records-- most of that stuff is at least as boring, tedious and uninspired as Robert Cray.

you lookin' to bag pink toes or ???

DUMBO
02-22-2008, 05:43 PM
alright, i'll play-- first, blues is just one form of music, & a pretty flexible one at that-- it was whitey who later got hung up on "definition." Robert Cray is pretty lame, the Nelly of '80s & onwards blues BUT... he does have his functions. best of the bunch is was "Strong Persuader," which had decent songs.

the thing is, Cray is ** really ** closer to a mediocre soul dude but because played guitar in time when NO soul blacks did anymore... he comes "blues."

FOUR DOT-- the shit you're lookin' for is the best of the early '60s to early '70s blues, i strongly recommend Lowell Fulson (some of his stuff is often sampled), the early B.B. King stuff and, on the more soulful side, the GENIUS O.V. Wright (better than fucking Otis Redding) and old guy Jimmy McCracklin.

** BOBBY "BLUE" BLAND ** fucks your mom, grandmom, sister & they ALL ask him to come back & give him more. Any/everything of his from the '60s through the mid-'70s probably kills.

if you want Robert Cray contemporaries... pussy doesn't know better but if you MUST stay contemporary, dunno, look at a Bullshot, Blacktop or Alligator records-- most of that stuff is at least as boring, tedious and uninspired as Robert Cray.

you lookin' to bag pink toes or ???

pink pussy.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-22-2008, 06:15 PM
pink pussy.

hahahah....black men are the scum of the earth, i feel bad for the black women out there.

DUMBO
02-22-2008, 09:36 PM
don't feel bad, feel angry. cuz if i ever see you, you're fucking done.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey, all im sayin is show the black women a little appreciation.

DUMBO
02-22-2008, 11:10 PM
at what point did i say anything about black women? show some appreciation to adult males, your idols

STYLE
02-22-2008, 11:18 PM
he thinks black pussy is brown on the inside.

INF
02-24-2008, 01:49 PM
y has nobody had the balls to talk about or reply about the Bad Brains? you got a thread here and it says "black legends in music". You just want some robert cray ish though to get panties off or do you really want to talk about black artist?

Vernon Reid got jipped too.

DUMBO
02-24-2008, 02:26 PM
sorry i've been remiss. you are absolutely right that Bad Brains are originators and should get respect. have you heard meshell dnegeocello? she's a great musician and initially part of the black rock coalition. what about fishbone? ulmer blood.

ez.

DUMBO
02-24-2008, 02:29 PM
ten crucial moments in black rock history, fyi.

http://www.ypp.net/fullarticle.asp?ID=273

INF
02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
sorry i've been remiss. you are absolutely right that Bad Brains are originators and should get respect. have you heard meshell dnegeocello? she's a great musician and initially part of the black rock coalition. what about fishbone? ulmer blood.

ez.

meshell dnegeocello? you mean the bass player? She ended up playing bass for David Bowie's Tour Band.

Recently I learned that Somebody from Fishbone did the horns on an album newly released that I like. I forget which one right now though.

I have never owned a fishbone record but always wanted to after I seen em on SNL a long time ago. They did work with RHCP.

...and who can forget the Force MD's????
http://us.ent1.yimg.com/images.launch.yahoo.com/000/019/756/19756251.jpg

6 Chambaz
02-24-2008, 02:37 PM
James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Tupac Shakur

STYLE
02-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Greatest of all time
Stylemasterr Fantasy Black Music Festival

BB Fuckin King-Blues
Micheal Jackson-Pop
James Brown-Soul
George Clinton-Funk
Tupac-Rap
Jimi Hendrix-Rock
bob marley-reggae
fishbone - punk
roni size- electronica
Earth Wind and Fire-soul band
duke ellington-big band
charlie pride- country-western

R&B......i got to spit it up
Luther Vandross
R Kelly
Pattie Labelle
Stevie Wonder

R&B Group....
Jodeci
the Isleys

where to put singers like pearle bailey, erykah badu, nina simone and billie holiday? idk

now i know some are gonna flame me for a few of my choices but we'll see.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Just the choice of tupac..haha.

STYLE
02-27-2008, 11:40 AM
tupac. whats so funny? the cat was a helluv a poet and an MC.

i'd rather see pac perform than any other rapper ever. and yes i've seen wu (great show saw them in 93 w/ ODB and in 2000 w/o ODB but the other 8 were there) but pac talks to yo soul by bearing his.

what pac aint in your "learn nigger music" text book?

Olive Oil Goombah
02-27-2008, 11:56 AM
LOL...relax. I just knew that would get a rise out of you. Hence the haha.

I never owned a tupac album tho....he was great, but i never felt him like that. He was too much of a poser with the thug life shit, it ruined what he was about....but thats just my opinion and i know people wont like that.

Memory Man
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.moodmat.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/ArthurLee.jpg
http://www.blues.ru/bluesmen/Jimi_Hendrix/hendrix.jpg

STYLE
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
LOL...relax. I just knew that would get a rise out of you. Hence the haha.

I never owned a tupac album tho....he was great, but i never felt him like that. He was too much of a poser with the thug life shit, it ruined what he was about....but thats just my opinion and i know people wont like that.

personally i think that was so he would not lose touch with the flks he was trying to reach out to. if you ever see some of his early speeches you'll see what i mean. i think he just got outta control. succumbed to the darkside so to speak.

"see murder which was caused when you fuck with thte negative and positive charge"
-odb

Paranoid
02-27-2008, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=STYLEMASTERR;1070742]tupac. whats so funny? the cat was a helluv a poet and an MC.[QUOTE]

I completely agree but I wouldn't bother on this website, people like to shit on Pac here

like how they say he has no classics...which is complete bullshit

and how they say hes only considered good because he died...which is also complete bullshit

etc etc

Olive Oil Goombah
02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
personally i think that was so he would not lose touch with the flks he was trying to reach out to. if you ever see some of his early speeches you'll see what i mean. i think he just got outta control. succumbed to the darkside so to speak.

"see murder which was caused when you fuck with thte negative and positive charge"
-odb

Yea....The whole westside thing and the suge knight business is really what made me i guess lose respect for him, cuz he was getting pimped and he wasn't a gangsta...not a real one. He was an artist thru and thru who got caught up in it and it eventually caught up to him.

STYLE
02-27-2008, 03:21 PM
back to black rockers. what about
the black irishman,lol idk why that is funny to me, Phil Lynott of
thinlizzy
Unnh0T2Ftro

bad boy T
03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
shit almost forgot Jazz

Jazz - Miles Davis
Blues - ???

WC Handy created Blues in 1912

STYLE
03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
WC Handy created Blues in 1912

you are dead ass wrong about that. WC Handy just brought it to the mainstream aka to white folks because he could write the notation so they could play it. blues had been played long before Handy. shiieeet his granny and granddaddy were prolly singin it.

DUMBO
03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
blues precedes jazz and jazz was played in the 1890s.

Olive Oil Goombah
03-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Nobody knows who created 'blues', but to say it was one person is dumb...it evolved from field hollers in the mississippi delta.

TSA
03-05-2008, 07:00 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii227/kihsann/m_22d951aab11d7ff7051a3c40b6f266e0.jpg
FELA-FUCKIN-KUTI!

all day everyday, greatest musician of all time, and i say that with every fiber in my typing fingers, TELL ME WHO'S BETTER!

TSA
03-05-2008, 07:04 PM
anybody who acknowledges Nickytoochs brand new post-sonning e-gimmick more then 3 times a month is a faggot btw.

Olive Oil Goombah
03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Yet you follow me everywhere I go....

DUMBO
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii227/kihsann/m_22d951aab11d7ff7051a3c40b6f266e0.jpg

FELA-FUCKIN-KUTI!

all day everyday, greatest musician of all time, and i say that with every fiber in my typing fingers, TELL ME WHO'S BETTER!

i'm close to co-signing that but can't choose between him and marley/womack/wonder.

TSA
03-06-2008, 12:24 AM
He owns marley on the strength of inventing his own genre (one of the most mind blowning ever)

and then over does him for getting his mom thrown out the window by the government for being too real, arrested, beaten, and then when he's released dragging a coffin to the dictators compound

and making a song about water.

plus he can do everything Womack can do times five

im talking about ripping instruments from his band members hands and playing them

every single one, keyboard, sax, flute, drum, you name it

and declaring his nightclub as a seperatist state

and running for president

and almost winning.

and the volume of work alone

and duh sheer knawledge

jfDIakTWYeA
one of the weaker joints imo, but the lyrics are unmatched, 4:10 alone shits on everyone's life.

djskillz
04-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Fishbone - Lyin Ass Bitch

YyguJEVSjzU

Krusha
09-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Funk - James Brown
Afro-Beat - Fela Kuti
Reggae - Peter Tosh
Soul - Sam Cooke
Rock & Roll - Chuck Berry
Jazz - John Coltrane