PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast controller to PS2 converter?

LuckyTheWonderDog
03-12-2008, 05:48 AM
Anyone know of any way to use a Dreamcast controller on a Gamecube or a PS2?

I've got two arcade sticks for my DC, and I wanna use them for my Wii. I figured if I could get from DC to PS2 to GC (or DC direct to GC) I could use them and not clutter my house up with more crap. I've found a PS2 to Gamecube converter.

Theres a million 'PS2 to...' converters, but not many '... to PS2' ones. Strange as I always thought the worst thing about a PS/PS2 was the crappy controller.

Origin™
03-12-2008, 08:02 AM
I always thought the worst thing about a PS/PS2 was the crappy controller.

One of the things Playstation is famous for is it's great controll system..

Everybody has their opinion no doubt, But personally I think the PS2/PS3 controllers are some of the best arround.

Also I think the only way you will find a converter that you're looking for is on some crazy japanese 3rd party website, Good luck with your search.

LuckyTheWonderDog
03-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Each to their own. Everyone I know hates ps2 pads.

Two things get me:

- Why is the d-pad done in four little buttons rather than a joined pad.
- Why now that most games use analogue controls is the pad still the most comfortable place to have your left thumb, not the left stick (like on say a 360 controller).

shaolinsword
03-12-2008, 08:10 AM

Two things get me:

- Why now that most games use analogue controls is the pad still the most comfortable place to have your left thumb, not the left stick (like on say a 360 controller).

Having the D-Pad does come in handy but very rarely. I only really use the D-Pad for the Live Arcade games on the 360

WARPATH
03-12-2008, 10:07 AM

Two things get me:

But the d-pad is a joined pad- underneath the plastic. This only helps with precision. Especially with old school fighters like Street Fighter, you know exactly what commands your entering.

Can't help you there, maybe you have hobbit hands, or you just haven't had enough time with the controller.

LuckyTheWonderDog
03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
^^ Come on, clearly the nicest place for the stick to be is where it was on an Xbox pad, an Xbox 360 pad and a Gamecube pad. I aint saying I can't use it, just that it's in a crap place. And whats with the design of the sticks as well? They're the worst analogue sticks I've ever used (a fault which I am definately not the first person to highlight).

As for the d-pad, I know it's joined, but it makes it less nice to use. And who the fuck plays street fighter with a d-pad anyway? At the very least it would have to be a Saturn pad, but surely you want a stick for that.

Anyway, somehow my very simple question has instead turned into a debate on the merits of the PS pad.

WARPATH
03-12-2008, 01:57 PM
^^ Come on, clearly the nicest place for the stick to be is where it was on an Xbox pad, an Xbox 360 pad and a Gamecube pad. I aint saying I can't use it, just that it's in a crap place. And whats with the design of the sticks as well? They're the worst analogue sticks I've ever used (a fault which I am definately not the first person to highlight).

As for the d-pad, I know it's joined, but it makes it less nice to use. And who the fuck plays street fighter with a d-pad anyway? At the very least it would have to be a Saturn pad, but surely you want a stick for that.

Anyway, somehow my very simple question has instead turned into a debate on the merits of the PS pad.

Well, like I siad it takes some getting use too. When I hold an XBox controller, it feels chunky, like holding a fat bitch. I like my chicks slim with thick thighs and big rubbery nipples.

Visionz
03-12-2008, 02:04 PM
For Virtua Fighter 5, you have to use the D-pad.............anyways back to your regularly scheduled program...................

LuckyTheWonderDog
03-12-2008, 03:53 PM
^^ Well I still maintain that for VF5 you have to use an arcade stick, but anyway....

KZA
03-12-2008, 07:30 PM
nintendo created the d-pad thats why you don't see ms or sony with the same d-pad cause nintendo would probably sue cause of it.

i assume you don't want to buy a new arcade stick.

LuckyTheWonderDog
03-13-2008, 03:27 AM
^^ Thing is that I got two quality Dreamcast arcade sticks, and I still use my Dreamcast for all those classic fighting games. I wanna get a couple of arcade sticks for my Wii, but would rather not have to buy two new ones as they're expensive and take up a lot of space.

You can use Gamecube controllers on a Wii, and you can easily convert from PS2 to GC.

If anyone knows of a Dreamcast-Gamecube converter, that would be even easier.

TAURO
03-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Im sorry but playstation has the best pads mand thats a fact, why do you think they never changed the design since the playstation 1?.....because people didn't want them too. X-box pads are the worst pieces of shit and don't get me started on what I think of the gamecube ones.

LuckyTheWonderDog
03-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Yeah cos what the public laps up is always whats right. That's why Duffy is at no.1.

But seriously I don't care what anyone thinks of Playstation pads! I wanna use my Dreamcast arcade stick on my Wii via a DC-GC adapter or a DC-PS & PS-GC adapter. If you can help lemme know otherwise feel free to love whatever controller you want, but don't expect me (or anyone else) to care.

TAURO
03-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Yeah cos what the public laps up is always whats right. That's why Duffy is at no.1.

Thats a crappy analogy, thats nowhere near the same situation.

PS pads feel right in my hands, everything works and are made for 2D fighters (which matters most to me).

Xbox pads are disgusting clunky things with buttons in awkward places.

LuckyTheWonderDog
03-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Two things.

Firstly search google for anything relating to ps having shit pads and you'll find I'm not alone. So it's not fact, it's your opinion (and my belief they're shit is mine).

Second if all you care about is 2D fighting games get an arcade stick. Come on seriously.

But I'm assuming no one is gonna provide any help on my original question, so I wash my hands of the thread!

If any mods read this - change the thread's name to 'Playstation pads are shit - discuss' and be done with.

Mr. X
03-15-2008, 01:26 AM
PS2/3 Pad is the best one out there. It's actually symmetrical.

XB/360 controller has a crappy d pad. The XB controller's black and white buttons were in pretty dumb spots. At least they were rarely used, if at all. The 360 controller is fine I think is feels like a PS2 pad with the d pad and left stick switched.

Mic Tyson
03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
why are yall tryin to tell the man what controller is better? hes lookin for a converter not a debate. oh and you can find different converters on all those asian sites that sell that stuff. they don't really have all of those converters in America. i don't see any dreamcast to gamecube ones tho, probably cuz they are different generations of consoles and different companies. but u might find somethin.

Visionz
03-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I think you're gonna run into problems with demand on this one. I've looked but the only things I run across are for using other console controllers on the DC and not the other way around