PDA

View Full Version : For all you college students/Grads...

Olive Oil Goombah
04-12-2008, 03:47 PM
..you know that feeling you get when you just finished your big reserch paper for the semester?? I got that feeling right now and I'm ready to smash a bunch of guiness's in celebration.

12 pages worth of why I thought Philippe Petain was the most effective French general of World War I.

I'd say i put about 20-30 hours worth of work into this thing, so I'm expecting an A.
We shall see.

Its guiness time

Blackula Spectacula
04-12-2008, 03:48 PM
It's Heineken time for me tonight .. :D .... CHEERS!

STYLE
04-12-2008, 03:50 PM
congrats.

Olive Oil Goombah
04-12-2008, 03:51 PM
It's Heineken time for me tonight .. :D .... CHEERS!

CHEERS BLACK!!!!!!!! Beer bong anyone????

Edgar Erebus
04-12-2008, 04:43 PM
12 pages worth of why I thought Philippe Petain was the most effective French general of World War I.

I'd fucking break you down, 'cause I seriously think the prize goes to Foch.

But anyways, congrats my man. Ceelbrate like your squad just won the superbowl.

Olive Oil Goombah
04-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Very good...its nice to see a World War I enthusiast....

SO why don't you break it down for me. Foch was the antithesis of Petain, and truthfully in another type of war, maybe Foch is better but chew on this.

Petain was light years ahead of anyway in terms of modern warfare during the pre war era. He realized the power of the machine gun and knew that the bayoneted charge of the Napoleonic era was done.
He was in the front line visiting troops often...more so than any other general so he knew the conditions and he saw the savagery any attempted offensive resulted in.
It was a war of attrition, and unlike the other French generals whose rule was hold every square inch of ground, Petain knew the value of tactical retreat and conservation of resources.

Was he a pessimist? Yes,especially toward the end....Foch jumped on board after the Americans had come over. He had it easy. Petain had to deal with the two most difficult situations in the war and he did so tremendously...
Verdun and the mutinies of 1917.

Without Petain the French are in alot of trouble. He may not have been the greatest offensive strategist or tactician, but his relationship among his men (especially in quelling the mutinies) and his organizational skills were unmatched. Also he was a master defender, and his work at Verdun was brilliant.

You also have to take into context the nature of the war....most offensive were bloody failure resulting in a waste of life. Petain was the perfect man for the situation. His style fit the wars style, in actuality i feel he adapted himself very well to the situations presented to him.
Greatest French general of World War I

so about Foch...

HANZO
04-12-2008, 05:10 PM
World War 1 sucked. fukin everyone ganged up on us. fight us one on one you useless euro inbred fags, and you camel riding A-rab traitor bitches. give our empire back. :(

back on topic, yeah man i get that feeling all the time. but then i get another assignment. my celebration starts on June 2nd at 4:00pm London time. thats my final exam and i will be a free man:b

Olive Oil Goombah
04-12-2008, 05:13 PM
World War 1 sucked. fukin everyone ganged up on us. fight us one on one you useless euro inbred fags, and you camel riding A-rab traitor bitches. give our empire back. :(

back on topic, yeah man i get that feeling all the time. but then i get another assignment. my celebration starts on June 2nd at 4:00pm London time. thats my final exam and i will be a free man:b

Thanks.....Dont you kno never to trust an A-rab?? The Ottoman Empire was the 'SIck man of Europe' at that time. They hadnt been a force for centuries. They had their time tho. I did a 10 page paper last semester on the Early Ottoman Sultans from Osman up until Mehmed The Conqueror...

I always though Bayezid got a bad rap...he just shouldn't of fucked with Timur Lenk (Tamerlane)