PDA

View Full Version : Brain Plasticity, Organized Pathways, Repetitive Motions, vs New Creative Instincts

Visionz
04-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Discuss

begongo
04-13-2008, 08:41 AM
this shit is for KTL paranoids

Olive Oil Goombah
04-13-2008, 09:07 AM
explain the concepts to me for I am not readily familiar with them.

Visionz
04-13-2008, 12:42 PM
this shit is for KTL paranoidsits got all of jack shit to do with paranoia

explain the concepts to me for I am not readily familiar with them.Brain Plasticity is what allows you to take on and learn new task, abilities etc. There's things you can do (and they vary greatly) to keep your mind from becoming rigid. The rigidness comes from getting comfortable with what you do know and then not really expanding into the unknown. Basically you go from forcing your brain into making new connections to relying on connections you've already made, which basically is your mind on cruise control. Its healthy (helps prevent alzheimers amongst others) to take on task which you initially find challenging.

STYLE
04-13-2008, 12:47 PM
1/2 he brain can be removed and the other half will take on the functions of the missing side.

MAYOR QUIMBY
04-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Being on Wu-Corp is a repetitive motion which plasticizes my brain with no new creative instincts and travels the same pathway every time. Yet i heart the corp.

STYLE
04-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Being on Wu-Corp is a repetitive motion which plasticizes my brain with no new creative instincts and travels the same pathway every time. Yet i heart the corp.

yet you have no idea what plasticize means but you decided to use it anyway.

Olive Oil Goombah
04-13-2008, 12:55 PM
1/2 he brain can be removed and the other half will take on the functions of the missing side.

Yea, i remember reading about war wounded in WWI and how they some guys still lived w/o half of their brain and was curious how that could be.

Visionz
04-13-2008, 01:00 PM
1/2 he brain can be removed and the other half will take on the functions of the missing side.but the process by which that learning would have to take place is often a painful and time consuming one. I was watching on PBS the other day where a guy had to learn to use hisleft hand all over again cuz he caught some schrapnel in the head that wiped out the funtionality. They had his right hand strapped down with weights, forcing him to use his left (and his brain to re-wire its circuitry) but even eating some cereal looked like a huge pain the ass.

MAYOR QUIMBY
04-13-2008, 01:01 PM
yet you have no idea what plasticize means but you decided to use it anyway.
plas·ti·cize http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[plas-tuh-sahyz]
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object), -cized, -ciz·ing.

to render or become plastic.

Also, especially British, plas·ti·cise.

[Origin: 1925–30; plastic (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=plastic) + -ize (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=-ize)http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png]

TSA
04-13-2008, 01:11 PM
i lost interest in biological science in 8th grade, so i can't contribute to the brain plasticity part, theres not much to say about organized pathways for lack of specifics, as is the same for repetitive motions, but new creative instincts is unnessacary because we don't live in a new creative world from our biological ancestors

*goes back to seperating the english from the dutch*

Visionz
04-13-2008, 01:24 PM
i lost interest in biological science in 8th grade, so i can't contribute to the brain plasticity part, theres not much to say about organized pathways for lack of specifics, as is the same for repetitive motions, but new creative instincts is unnessacary because we don't live in a new creative world from our biological ancestors

*goes back to seperating the english from the dutch*it important to understand how the brain works though, maybe not for you in all your youth but as you get older you need to keep challenging yourself or the brain starts to loose some of its adaptability piece by piece until you're drooling helplessly all over your mashed potatoes. The creative part isn't always about coming up with miraculous new shit but rather creative an area of knowledge within yourself that wasn't there before.

I'm DL'ing a bunch of things to really learn how to use Photoshop over the past week or so for instance.

STYLE
04-13-2008, 01:31 PM
i have a cousin that lives in berlin. she could speak 5 languages fluently when she was 6.

for an adult that is a daunting task.

they say people don't change much after 30.

personalities are for the most part set by age 5.

STYLE
04-13-2008, 01:36 PM
oh yeah,
back around 1998-99 my pops was responsible for developing broadband switching networks at Lucent/bell labs (ufo reverse engineering).

anyway they came up with what they called 'vaporware' -self configuring software that maximized the traffic of multicolored light thru fiberoptics, based on the type of signal, amount of signal and priority of signal.

basically its what runs the tech we use right now.
very similar to the brain.

Visionz
04-13-2008, 01:41 PM
interesting stuff^ but yeah, if a 5-year old for some reason caught some schrapnel to the head I'm sure they'd recover a lot faster, alot of that has to do with the brain being MUCH more flexible at that age. While the brain does become more rigid as time moves on that's not to say you can't make new connections just that you have to work harder at it

STYLE
04-13-2008, 01:46 PM
true.
there are certain pathways that get so much use they are damn near impossible to reroute without physical tampering. some traits are hardwired.

thats why they say "i'm an addict" when they may have been sober for 15 years.

i would think that it is possible to create a new pathway to circumvent the hardwired one and train your brain to use it, though it may be a longer, less efficient path for impulses to travel down.