PDA

View Full Version : Tesla Roadster

V4D3R
05-04-2008, 02:50 AM
http://www.teslamotors.com/

The Tesla Roadster is a fully electric sports car, and is the first car produced by electric car firm Tesla Motors. The car can travel 225 mi (362 km)[2] on a single charge of its lithium-ion battery pack and accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 3.9 seconds with the development transmission. The Roadster's efficiency is reported as 133 Wh/km (4.7 mi/kWh), equivalent to 135 mpgU.S. (1.74 L/100 km / 162.1 mpgimp

http://thinkorthwim.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/Tesla%20Roadser%20Charging.jpg

diggy
05-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I hope these cars will be the norm, cuz these oil companies need to be put out of business. To hell with them and their prices.

Death the Kid
05-04-2008, 10:42 PM
It look pretty promising, I wonder what the price will be.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
05-04-2008, 10:45 PM
promising now if all major car companies will make a valid effort and pool their resources to do something alternative

Rame
05-05-2008, 05:13 AM
It costs $ 105.000

Death the Kid
05-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Thats the problem, the price is somewhat too expensive. The other car companies will cotinue producing far cheaper cars which wont have the environmental benefits which the Tsla has.

dezmond
05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Problem with electric cars is a lot of people dont think how much energy (fossil fuels) it takes to make the cars and produce the electric to run them... bet its not much less than a modern economical petrol burner...

Still a good step tho..

Ghost In The 'Lac
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
I hope these cars will be the norm, cuz these oil companies need to be put out of business. To hell with them and their prices.

that wont happen, Shell and BP announced profits of 7billion for last year, companies with that much money have almost as much power as governments, in fact, they probably run some governments.

HANZO
05-05-2008, 03:45 PM
shell and bp makes $6million an hour. oil is now $120 a barrel.

on topic.
electrical cars are useful. but ofcourse using electricity isnt really solving our problem.

from my studies in the field of engineering, actually having single small electrical motors connected to each tyre does a better job. i think an italian firm created a 6 wheel electrical car that could hit 200mph. using the same principle.

but research is concentrating more on hydrogen power. electrical power is jus for temporary use. so far the best solution we got is hybrid cars.

Visionz
05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
even with the hydrogen^motor you still need to put water in your tank right? it would seem to be the perfect solution but there's a limited amount of water on this planet as well, I could see there being some unintended side-effects happening due to the spike in water consumption

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Will we ever find a suitable replacement for gas? It seems like we can't even use water, even tho the world is mostly that. But I see how in most cases it would be impossible to meet demand in places that have little access to water, for regular uses, let alone for auto purposes.

HANZO
05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
you put hydrogen gas in your tank. thats where the problem comes though, how do you store hydrogen cells. currently its very expensive, and the method we use to store hydroged, dnt solve our fossil fuel issue, cause that method involves using fossil fuels. once we find the way to store the cells, then our problems are solved. thats the field in which i plan to do my PHD on, when i get to that stage ofcourse.

hydrogen is great though, gives u the same performance as a petrol driven car, and the only waste from it is water.

the other solution is bio-fuel, but the problem with that is while we use all this farmland to produce energy, we got less farmland to produce food.

Visionz
05-05-2008, 04:28 PM
but I thought a hydrogen motor was all about stripping the hydrogen in water from the oxygen as a source of power. Is there more than one direction that field is going in?

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I hate to say it, but is solar power the best solution to this? Fuck it, everyone bust out your bicis and shit cause everyone's gonna be pedaling for the next generation or so.

Visionz
05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
solar energy is great if you can get it workin properly, unless its always cloudy where you live, its the one source that you don't have to worry about the supply side of things (cloudy weather aside)

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Then I guess it's time for everyone to re-learn how to ride their bikes, because I don't see any way around this without creating a worse problem somewhere else. Look at biodiesel, making corn sales to decline.

HANZO
05-05-2008, 04:38 PM
but I thought a hydrogen motor was all about stripping the hydrogen in water from the oxygen as a source of power. Is there more than one direction that field is going in?

yeah.

the thing is with using water, as far as i know its real hard to separate the hydrogen and oxygen cells using normal water. cause there are impurities in it. you need highly distilled water, you can find that shit in power plants. you cant even drink it i think. creating that water u need to burn some energy.

as you can see the whole process so far costs too much.

If we can jus directly pump hydrogen gas into a tank it would be soo much better. jus cant do it cheaply yet.

end of the day its all about money.

HANZO
05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Then I guess it's time for everyone to re-learn how to ride their bikes, because I don't see any way around this without creating a worse problem somewhere else. Look at biodiesel, making corn sales to decline.

real shit about biodiesal. i own 54 acres of land in Turkey, and i currently cropped it all for the use of making biodiesal. im still a good year away from profitting from it. but my dad told me to fuk my plan and harvest some corn instead. feeding the ppl is more important i guess. im still thinking about it.

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
yeah.

the thing is with using water, as far as i know its real hard to separate the hydrogen and oxygen cells using normal water. cause there are impurities in it. you need highly distilled water, you can find that shit in power plants. you cant even drink it i think. creating that water u need to burn some energy.

as you can see the whole process so far costs too much.

If we can jus directly pump hydrogen gas into a tank it would be soo much better. jus cant do it cheaply yet.

end of the day its all about money.

But that would cause a major letdown in places that have little water supply. So I don't see how water can be a solution to this, unless someone comes up with a car that you can use either water or gas, but again the reprocussions to this would be dire.

SG
05-05-2008, 06:59 PM
When I look at this article, I think about the dynamics of it....

1. Interstate gas station having special kits installed(recharging)

2. Insurance companies and the list goes on

SG
05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
a8xVUzfsl9Q

Visionz
05-12-2008, 09:37 PM
a8xVUzfsl9Q
real talk, good lookin out :b

V4D3R
06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100629/business/apfn_us_tesla_motors_ipo

2 hours, 6 minutes ago
By Dan Strumpf, The Associated Press

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Shares of Tesla Motors Inc. climbed in their trading debut after the electric car maker's expanded initial public offering raised more money than expected.

Tesla's performance was a feat in a sour market that has forced many companies looking to raise funds through IPOs to accept lower prices to get deals done.

The offering appealed to investors, raising US$226.1 million after selling 13.3 million shares for $17 apiece. It had earlier expected to price 11.1 million shares at $14 to $16 per share.

Tesla's IPO came on a day when U.S. stocks fell more than two per cent following Asian and European markets lower on worries that the economy is slowing. Tesla's shares initially traded as high as $19, but quickly pared that gain and fell as low as $17.55 before rebounding. The company's shares rose $1.37, or 8.1 per cent, to $18.37 in afternoon trading.

The electric car maker, based in Palo Alto, Calif., is the first automaker to go public since Ford Motor Co. held its initial public offering in 1956.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk appeared Tuesday morning at the Nasdaq stock exchange at Times Square to mark the start of trading. At least five Tesla vehicles, including the $109,000 Roadster, were lined up outside, where spectators and tourists gathered to gawk at the cars.

"The response from investors has been tremendous," said Musk. "We increased the size of the offering and the demand was still enormous, so we increased the price to a dollar above the top of the range and we still had massive, overwhelming demand."

Tesla is a bet on the future of the electric car industry, which isn't currently a big draw for U.S. consumers. The IPO also comes at a time when volatile broader markets have dampened investors' taste for risk, particularly for companies with a history of losses or high debt levels.

The company hasn't had a profitable quarter since it was founded in 2003. It has sold only 1,000 of its high-end Roadster sports cars.

Investors are hoping that a planned lower-priced car will have a broader appeal. Tesla expects that a $50,000 four-door electric sedan, the Model S, which isn't slated to go on sale until 2012, will attract more buyers. Its goal is to build 20,000 of them a year.

The company has a prominent backer in Toyota Motor Corp., which last month agreed to sell Tesla a shuttered plant in Fremont, Calif., and invest $50 million in the company. Tesla plans to use the plant to build the Model S. Tesla expects annual net losses until mass production of the Model S.

The company also has a high-profile CEO. Musk was a co-founder of Internet payment service PayPal. He currently runs rocket manufacturer Space Exploration Technologies.

But Tesla may face competition in the electric car market by the time the Model S is ready for consumers. Nissan Motor Co. is already taking orders on its electric car, the Leaf, which gets 100 miles per charge and is priced at about $25,000 after tax credits. The Chevrolet Volt, an electric car with a gasoline range-extender, goes on sale by the end of this year with a $35,000 price tag.

While Tesla is the first automaker to go public in decades, it likely won't be the last. General Motors Co., which makes the Volt, is widely expected to sell stock to the public again, maybe as early as this year.

Tesla shares are trading on the Nasdaq under the symbol "TSLA."

V4D3R
06-29-2010, 03:46 PM
When I look at this article, I think about the dynamics of it....

1. Interstate gas station having special kits installed(recharging)

2. Insurance companies and the list goes on

The charge stations will grow out from Cali outward - the plant is there the headquarters - Toyota's millions to back them up and most likely give them some very good tips.

Electric cars means engine science is going take on a whole new level in near future. You will see cars with so much torque they will need to rethink the tire.
Just think how fast them AFX toy track cars went....

INF
06-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Just think how fast them AFX toy track cars went....

word

PALEFORCE
06-29-2010, 04:41 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6437080948273722203#

V4D3R
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
^good doc - peeped it long ago when MAGMA posted it. It was on CBC news station too this year.

ALCATRAZ
06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Thats the problem, the price is somewhat too expensive. The other car companies will cotinue producing far cheaper cars which wont have the environmental benefits which the Tsla has.
yes, the price is somewhat too expensive isn't it...

V4D3R
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
well they need to be expensive at first - they are kinda high-end cars go to the site take a look.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

this is on performance page...(AFX)

Acceleration & Torque
Instant Freedom
The first time you drive the Tesla Roadster, prepare to be surprised. You're at freeway speed in seconds without even thinking about it. There is no clutch pedal to contend with and no race-car driving techniques to perform. Just the touch of your foot and you're off, without any of the sluggishness of an automatic.

How powerful is the acceleration? A quick story to illustrate. A favorite trick here at Tesla Motors is to invite a passenger along and ask him to turn on the radio. At the precise moment we ask, we accelerate. Our passenger simply can't sit forward enough to reach the dials. But who needs music when you're experiencing such a symphony of motion.

Rest assured that this responsiveness works at all speeds, as noticeable when you're inching your way through parking lots as when flying along freeways.

100% Torque, 100% of the Time
The Tesla Roadster delivers full availability of performance every moment you are in the car, even while at a stoplight. Its peak torque begins at 0 rpm and stays powerful at 14,000 rpm.

This is the precise opposite of what you experience with a gasoline engine, which has very little torque at a low rpm and only reaches peak torque in a narrow rpm range. This forces you to make frequent gear changes to maintain optimal torque. With the Tesla Roadster, you get great acceleration and the highest energy efficiency at the same time. All while requiring no special driving skills to enjoy it. This makes the Tesla Roadster six times as efficient as the best sports cars while producing one-tenth of the pollution.

V4D3R
06-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I like the model S

http://cdn.venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/tesla-model-s-hi-res_1.jpg

Urban_Journalz
06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Damn shame what they did to Telsa. Man was a certifiable genius.

Mindsword
07-03-2010, 12:17 PM
HEMP FUEL IS THE FUTURE!!!

Damn shame what they did to Telsa. Man was a certifiable genius.

^this

Edgar Erebus
07-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Problem with electric cars is a lot of people dont think how much energy (fossil fuels) it takes to make the cars and produce the electric to run them... bet its not much less than a modern economical petrol burner...

Still a good step tho..

Solution: nuclear power plants.