PDA

View Full Version : A Hierarchy of Goodness

LHX
05-04-2008, 08:12 AM
What does it mean to do good?

1. we live in a place where there are elements that are willing to exploit every effort you are willing to give

2. there is a need to revisit the conventional ideas of 'goodness'

'doing good for other people'

'being unselfish'

these notions are easy to bend - especially for intelligent people

you can help a old lady across the street once - but some old ladies will start expecting you to help them cross the street

and then they will start going out more often - just for entertainment - and get heated when you don't help them out

the youth of today is victimized by these kinds of things - mowing the lawns of overweight and immobile neighbors, being guilted into cleaning the cars of vanity-consumed 'authority figures'
- all under the guise of 'helping out' and 'doing good'

it is NOT a good thing when a person is repeatedly bailed out after a lifetime of _____________

so what does it mean to truly do good?

we can use the guidance of books and ancient scriptures to a certain degre, but even these can only come second toward developing our own outlook and consideration on the matter

a proposal:

first and foremost -
to do good involves

1. looking after self

2. negatively interrupting others as minimally as possible

3. where possible - lifting people up with any surplus that you may have

4. lending a hand to those in need where it doesnt negatively affect looking after self (key word in that statement: need)

in desparate times - i have been called selfish
in good times - i have been called the nicest person they ever met

eventually - you realize that these criticisms by others are meaningless if you are approaching the world from a conscious foundation

please expand on this
criticize
etc

Peace

Prolifical ENG
05-04-2008, 09:45 AM
*plays intro to 8 Diagrams*

It seems your examples focused on giving favors to others (as a single person or a small group). Once you start trying to be too good and help more people out it becomes a costly duty for time just to keep others happy as things are expected from you. Especially when favors aren't returned.

I think one of the biggest common favors is when you help someone move.

You are right about following ancient scriptures. It can make the people trying to be good people even worse. An example are some Chirstians that volunteer to do something and then after they accomplished, start talking/gloating about what they did. Furthermore a fraction of them start feeling they are better than the next person. So maybe "hierarchy" is right.

Sometimes in a small community it is easier to see how you make a difference in trying to be good.

When I was 17 I worked on a private golf course. Along with our job we were taught how to be courteous i.e. say 'hello' when you go by someone or wave when you are at a distance. In essence it doesn't take much effort and makes the atmosphere of the golf club that much better. In return the members who dropped $100,000 just for their membership were good people (usually) in return.

I always thought being good didn't have to cost you much in time or money.

TSA
05-04-2008, 12:57 PM
i've come to realize there's no good or bad behavior as we know it, or atleast no self less behavior because he give out of a need to feed our ego or pity

and one person's good is always another one's bad

things are what they are, 'good' behavior as we know it is acutally functional behavior, that's all

Prince Rai
05-04-2008, 02:56 PM
there is a hierarchy.

it is of my opinion that the level of goodness depends on two things.

1) the person you are already

if for example you constantly help people across the road, your good deed is recognised but it is diminished on a personal level given that you have not done something "better" but just a mere "good" deed that did not test your ability as a person.
However, if you rarely help people across the road even when you had the opportunity, your good deed will be met with the same gratitude as the persona in the first example, but that "good" deed would have nurtured your level of goodness as a person much more.

2) degree or intensity of goodness.

like with LHX's example if you constantly help others across the road, it may make your good deed into a mere deed, met with an absence of over-gratification yet more criticism if you do not follow up with your initial good deed habitually.
Thus you have to concentrate on the intensity of goodness and reduce it if we forget the value of our act.

This reminds me of a yin and yang teaching i read ages ago.
Yin revolves around Yang in order to create balance. they interchange.
if you are only yin or only yang, then you cannot create balance, because there is no room for the opposite.
so if you are only good, or only bad in an act, then the value will diminish, or in other words, the term good loses value in the hierarchy of goodness.

Prolifical ENG
05-04-2008, 05:43 PM
if you constantly help others across the road, it may make your good deed into a mere deed, met with an absence of over-gratification yet more criticism if you do not follow up with your initial good deed habitually.

When doing good deeds its important that your deeds are truthfully appreciated as a deed. Too many times have I seen others get used because they are trying to be a good person. It seems that the art of the freeloader is to make the 'good person' feel selfish when they are in absence of a good deed.

therefore:

eventually - you realize that these criticisms by others are meaningless if you are approaching the world from a conscious foundation

diggy
05-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I think being good means being decent to others by following the norms of what we agree is courteous. I think it also means using our time, effort, and money to help the less fortunate.

STYLE
05-05-2008, 03:40 AM
my philosophy teacher said "there is no such thing as an altruistic act."

i was thinking "what about feeding the homeless or saving a life in an emergency situation?"

he said "mother theresa does good things because it makes her feel good. so self gratification is her return"

anyway... doing good should not be based on appreciation. one should do good because it is the right thing to do.

the concept of good and evil can at times overlap but acts of good or evil are all defined by intention means and result. i don't think every good act has an equally negative reaction. some acts are good flat out.

SG
05-26-2008, 01:48 AM
What does it mean to do good?

so what does it mean to truly do good?

please expand on this
criticize
etc

Peace

my philosophy teacher said "there is no such thing as an altruistic act."

i was thinking "what about feeding the homeless or saving a life in an emergency situation?"

he said "mother theresa does good things because it makes her feel good. so self gratification is her return"

anyway... doing good should not be based on appreciation. one should do good because it is the right thing to do.

the concept of good and evil can at times overlap but acts of good or evil are all defined by intention means and result. i don't think every good act has an equally negative reaction. some acts are good flat out.

What it means to truly do good is when nobody is around which that act is good flat out.

Mumm Ra
05-26-2008, 07:05 AM
^ that reminded me of ODB saving that little girl and not telling anyone about it

Edgar Erebus
05-26-2008, 08:41 AM
To do good is to be good to yourself. Feed yourself well. Get high, sleep much, don't care about nobody - and you do more true good to this world than all those missionaries.

Altruistic acts are nothing but whoring for good feeling.