PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 getting blu-ray

thatKid
05-04-2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-blu-ray-360,5272.html

I can't tell if its a new 360 with internal blu-ray drives or like the hd-dvd add-on. I doubt its my 1st theory tho. since, how many millions would they screw who bought a regular 360 already?

18.46 million 360 users they'd screw with a new blu-ray internal one. so now I think its a add on.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

but anyway. boo m$. gotta copy Sony. first they add 2 shoulder buttons now this

Rame
05-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Sony won.

thatKid
05-05-2008, 02:54 PM
found this link on another forum

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/05/xbox-360-overhaul-come-august

if they make games on blu-ray I don't see the 18+ million being too happy about this. hope this screws m$'s game division. already sunk $3 billion in warranty extensions. I just love being right. PS >>> M$

Sean
05-05-2008, 04:17 PM
I hope they don't start making games on blu ray, that would piss me off so much. I don't think they would do that though, they can't screw over that many people without at least giving some sort of compensation.

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
yes they could, done it before will definitely do it again.

Visionz
05-05-2008, 04:25 PM
right^ did people forget they're dealing with muhfuckin Microsoft?

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah I think that some people did. Apple won't forget soon tho, Apple knows a thing or two about Microsoft, thank them for Ipods or they would've died.

Sean
05-05-2008, 05:01 PM
yes they could, done it before will definitely do it again.

Why what did they do before?

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Apple is very familiar with this story, and is one of the better example for this. When Bill Gates was first marketing Windows, guess who he went to first? Apple, they shot down his idea, then he decided to go someplace else. I'm not so sure, but I think that outta spite Microsoft didn't let Apple get the clearance to use Windows for a year. You know how bad that was for business? Then Microsoft decided to help Apple financially, as to not get sued for Monopoly purposes. They could've easily just stop with that burden, but they are too cold to do that and would rather bring this back at every opportunity they could.

They did a similar thing with the U.S. Government, but that's for another time...

Sean
05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
^ Not trying to sound like a dick, but I don't understand, what's that got to do with MS screwing over customers?

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 05:28 PM
That's the thing, Apple wasn't a customer, so what makes you think that Microsoft cares about you guys? They already got your money the first time, and would love to get it a second time.

Sean
05-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh right I see what you mean now, I sort of read it wrong the first time. But I still don't think they'll do something that drastic. That would mean they completely fuck over 14 million people, making them lose all their credibility and reputation. They couldn't benefit from it at all, it would do them too much harm. I think they're smarter than that.

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Sure they can, all they have to do is slap some stickers on it, call it "exclusive material" and people will be back. It's all about marketing, they might do the whole "add-on" just to throw people off. You don't buy stuff for it's exclusivity do you?

Sean
05-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't think they could get away with it on something as big as changing the format of their games, forcing people to buy a new console. There's a chance that they could, but I don't think that would be a clever move if they did it.

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 06:01 PM
It wouldn't be forcing people... at first, they might ween this out or something. Almost think of it as the x-box 360 II, or like when Sony shrinks its console, people don't go "boo fuck this shit, let's not get it". They're not really focused on you guys imo and rather than the ones that don't own one.

Bg_Knocc_Out
05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm all for the blu-ray, considering I've already gone through 3 un-reliable Xbox's in the past year, 2 of wich were elites. And I've always sent them in to. This also gives them a chance to change the problems again, and I would love to see Xbox games with as much gigs as the blu-ray.

Sean
05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
It wouldn't be forcing people... at first, they might ween this out or something. Almost think of it as the x-box 360 II, or like when Sony shrinks its console, people don't go "boo fuck this shit, let's not get it". They're not really focused on you guys imo and rather than the ones that don't own one.

Yeah but the PS2 slim still had the same functions as the original, just smaller. It didn't affect the owners of the original. I'm not against them putting a built in blu ray player into new consoles, just don't make new games only on blu ray discs. If they did that then they would make the original 360s obsolete and owners of them would have been completely fucked.

King Tron 1
05-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I see what you're saying Sean, but they could care less of what little people they screw over if it means more profit in the long run. I myself agree with you that this would be fucked up, but I'm just saying that it's Microsoft and they will do whatever they can if it means more profit.

Bloo
05-07-2008, 12:14 AM
this kinda reminds me of the rumor going around that M$ was gonna release a 360 with an internal HD-DVD drive later this year... Obviously that's not happening now

The way I see it, is it's possible. To be honest, the 9 Gig storage capacity of the DVDs that the 360 uses is starting to show it's age. It'll be another year or so before you start to see the true effects, but even then the size limitation is starting to rear it's ugly head (Lost Oddessy on 4 discs anyone?)

Even with that, it's one of those things to where they'd have to find a way not to go out like the Sega CD/32X combo did by isolating the games that people can play based off of what accessories they own. If it doesn't happen, all it means is that in the future you'll start to see 360 games with less content than the PS3/PC versions or slightly worse graphics or sound. Compression technology is always advancing so it won't be a major noticeable difference though.

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Sony wins...

Visionz
05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Sony wins...
even funnier when you consider who owns the rights to BluRay technology. MS is gonna be paying Sony a cut for every game they make. and btw just some fyi, MS puts out intentionally bad versions of Windows out there just so you'll pay for the technical support when shit invariably starts going haywire. THe MS versions they actually teach in schools for microsoft classes are much more stable than the majority of those released to the public

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
^^ Too True. Look at Windows ME.