PDA

View Full Version : souls of mischief post 93

energizer
05-06-2008, 10:25 PM
we all know 93 til infinity is classic but is anything souls did after that worth buying, i know they have 2 or 3 more albums im just wondering if they are any good

Chu Tang
05-07-2008, 02:30 AM
imo, not really - they se the bar so high with 93 that everything after that was just not near it

u may dig it but dont expect anything near 93

kinda like the same happened with the pharcydeafter bizarre ride

GENERAL WISE
05-07-2008, 02:35 AM
I haven't heard the other albums as well.

Edgar Erebus
05-07-2008, 04:03 AM
imo, not really - they se the bar so high with 93 that everything after that was just not near it

Exactly what I was 'bout to say. A heavy example of sophomore jinx.

Chu Tang
05-07-2008, 04:17 AM
yeah , a great first album has killed many hasnt it ...
happens a lot of time in different fields ... not just hhop ... there are writers whose first novel is their best, then fade into mediocrity

music acts usually work on their fist album for ages, til they get a record deal. then they re usually forced to deliver an album a year or something, and that s how many fail to deliver

Edgar Erebus
05-07-2008, 04:23 AM
^^I think that, when talking about Souls of Mischief, the change of the game is responsible for them not repeating the success of debut. They dropped that jazzy, fluid "93 Til Infinity" when that sound was in, but in '95 when they dropped "No Man's Land" it was all about being as grimey as possible. And that wasn't them, you feel it when you hear it.

Lots of rap acts lost their touch in that period. Das EFX, for example, got quite panned for "Hold it Down", 'cause they were about playing with words and not being hard. (I like that album, though, that P. Rock track is a gem).

Chu Tang
05-07-2008, 05:09 AM
i hear u - that s a perfect example i think an artist that follows the trends in the end loses his identity

but for a rap act, like u said, das efx faded by trying to follow the market s direction ... u need to do what u do best , or if u change direction, do it for artistic reasons, not just cos u think it ll sell ... cos if u re trying to manufacture a product, it wont sound real.
im not saying an artist must stick to one side only, but that u always need to show your mark on anything u do ... if that dilutes in an attempt to copy something else well then u re dead i guess

Chris79
05-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde is a classic album but I actually thought Labcab was a solid sophmore effort...not even close to a jinx though

DUMBO
05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Trilogy is worth owning. Similar in sound to later hiero group joints and political to boot.

buckshotstheone
05-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde is a classic album but I actually thought Labcab was a solid sophmore effort...not even close to a jinx though

co-sign

and i'll go further....i think labcab is better

JamSix
05-07-2008, 08:56 PM
No Man's Land had a few bangers on it, but nothing compared to 93TI, same goes for Focus LP and Trilogy. You definately should check out both Hieroglyphics albums though (98&03).

But yeah, as the dude above said its very hard to top 93TI, one of the few 10/10 CD's out there.

ALCATRAZ
05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Souls of Mischief as a group hasn't put out anything that great following 93 but check out the Hieroglyphics supergroup they have some albums worth listening to. Go get Full Circle and give it a listen. Real hip hop.

CommSense
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM

i agree but not 100 percent with the pharcyde statement. pharcyde still put out dope albums.

Chu Tang
05-08-2008, 02:03 AM
i guess i ll have to check labcab again ...
also i like hyero, but still think 93ti is better than any of their stuff; only del s solo albums are up there with it

trilogy i really didnt like that much. maybe im biased ...

9th Chamber
04-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Is there new album worth a listen?

buckshotstheone
04-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Is there new album worth a listen?

montezuma's revenge?

yes. absolutely, if you are a souls of mischief fan then you will love this album. they successfully recreated the feel of a 90s album while still making it listenable in 2011. not saying it's a classic cause i stopped listening to it after like 2 weeks and haven't gone back, but basically it's what you'd want from a souls of mischief album.

9th Chamber
04-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Last album was sweetness!! Their middle stuff wasn't that good in my opinion. Couple nice tracks but definitely a let down after 93 till infinity.

WooHa
04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Montezuma's Revenge is definitely worth buying! It deserves even the last penny