PDA

View Full Version : Burma Cyclone (Full Details)

KERZO
05-07-2008, 07:12 AM
I'm guessing ya'll have seen the recent news about the cyclone in Burma where around 40,000 people have been killed...thats some tragic shit...heres the report (pictures below) -

Burma's cyclone death toll soars

The death toll from Burma's devastating cyclone has now risen to more than 22,000, state media have said.
Another 41,000 are missing three days after Cyclone Nargis hit the country, causing a huge tidal surge to sweep inland, according to state radio.
The report came as aid agencies begin what they expect to be a major relief operation to help hundreds of thousands left without clean water and shelter.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44626000/gif/_44626268_burma_map226x300.gif

Burma's government has been criticised over its handling of the crisis.
A number of Burmese nationals and some foreigners have said they had not been properly warned by the country's military leaders about the approaching storm.
Some witnesses have also said the government's response to the disaster has so far been slow and inadequate.
US President George W Bush has urged the military leadership to give access to American disaster assessment teams, saying his country was ready to use its navy "to help find the missing, to help stabilise the situation".

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/images/cyclone-burma-20030519-n17rgb.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------

A tropical cyclone has killed at least 351 people in Burma and damaged thousands of buildings, according to state television.
Parts of the Irrawaddy region were hit particularly badly, with three out of four buildings reportedly blown down in one district.
Burma has declared Irrawaddy and four other regions, including the main city Rangoon, to be disaster areas.
Rangoon has been without power and water, its streets full of debris.
Winds of about 190km/h (120mph) battered the Irrawaddy, Rangoon, Bago, Karen and Mon regions.
The latest death toll of 351 includes at least 109 people who lived on Haing-gyi island, off the south-west coast, officials say.

About 20,000 homes have been destroyed and 90,000 people made homeless on the island alone, a government official said.
The death toll is expected to rise further, as the situation in remote areas becomes clear.
Military and police personnel have been carrying out rescue operations.
In Irrawaddy's Labutta township, 75% of buildings collapsed and 20% had their roofs ripped off, state TV said.
Cyclone Nargis has since moved towards Thailand where storm warnings have been issued. However, it appears to be lessening in force.
In Rangoon, internet and phone connections have been down since the storm drew near, making it difficult to confirm the extent of the damage.
Official media report that four people were killed and four vessels sank in the former Burmese capital's harbour.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2008/05/05/1209985530_1016/539w.jpg

Theres always countries/states getting hit by disasters just like in New Orleans...It's just a shame people gotta die that way....

Comments/Impressions welcome....

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Well I don't know how accurate the statistics are pertaining to this story, nor am I questioning the integrity of the statistics, but events like this are gonna happen. We need a better way to alert everyone about an upcoming storm. It is very disturbing to hear that something of this magnitude is allowed to occur, when it is possible to lessen the damages and the lives lost to tragedies like this, the one in New Orleans, and the ones prior to Katrina in Thailand.

WU-KILLAH
05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't loose your time, they were all crying for Katrina, but since about 40000 people died somewhere far from their home they don't give a fuck

dezmond
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Its a tragedy........ But strange how it happend now at a time when Burma is trying to be kept away from the media.....

KERZO
05-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Good points Tron & Dezmond...

heres an update on the situ -

Burma shuns foreign aid workers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/asia_pac_enl_1210315725/img/laun.jpg

Burma's military junta says the country is not ready to accept foreign aid workers, amid mounting criticism of its response to the devastating cyclone.
The foreign ministry said Burma was happy to accept overseas aid, but insisted that it would control the distribution itself.
The statement follows pressure from the United Nations to speed up the issuing of visas to foreign relief experts.
Some aid has made it in, but experts stress that much more is needed.
Dozens of aid experts are reported to be waiting for visas in neighbouring Thailand - but the Burmese embassy there has now closed for a public holiday until next Tuesday.

The UN says that up to 1.5 million people may have been affected by Cyclone Nargis, which devastated the Irrawaddy Delta region on Saturday.
Burmese state media say 22,980 people were killed, but there are fears the figure could rise to 100,000.
Hundreds of thousands of people have no food, water or shelter. International aid agencies on the ground say that they have reached only 10% of those that need help.
In a statement, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged the junta to prioritise the aid effort over tomorrow's nation-wide referendum on a widely-criticised new constitution.
It would be "prudent to focus instead on mobilising all available resources and capacity for the emergency response efforts", he said.
Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej was due to fly to Burma on Sunday to urge its leaders to allow foreign aid workers in.
But following the junta's statement, the Thai leader said there was "no point" in his visit.
'Not ready'
In a foreign ministry statement carried by The New Light of Myanmar daily, Burma's government said it would welcome cash and emergency aid.

But it said it had turned back a relief flight from Qatar which had an aid team and a media crew on board.
"Currently Myanmar has prioritised receiving emergency relief provisions and is making strenuous efforts to transport those provisions without delay by its own labours to the affected areas," it said.
"As such, Myanmar is not ready to receive search and rescue teams as well as media teams from foreign countries."
A BBC correspondent in the storm-hit region says Burmese troops have begun distributing significantly more aid.
But international experts agree that the military regime lacks the resources to co-ordinate an effective relief effort, given the magnitude of the disaster.
It has accepted limited help - some countries which have good relations with Burma have flown aid in.

[B]Heres the extent of the damage -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/world/08/burma/img/both786.jpg

Incredible...

HANZO
05-09-2008, 01:03 PM
wat da fuk is wrong with this country. they rejecting aid???? the government is making its ppl suffer. they jus hijacked 2 UN aid ships. world needs to take charge and remove Burmas government. this is a clear indication of them not doing whats best for their own ppl.

King Tron 1
05-09-2008, 01:12 PM
How could they NOT be ready for volunteer work? I don't understand.

444trumpets
05-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Its The Signs

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Sad how it seems the people who's lives are already the shittiest are the ones that get stuff like this happening to them.

KERZO
05-10-2008, 06:45 AM
yeah i agree spinx...thats why I post this kinda stuff just so we remember how much some people get shitted on from a great height,

whitey
05-10-2008, 08:10 AM
where is palehorse and sunny and the rest of you pinko commie 5%er bastards saying how bad the myanmar's (burma is the old name of the country idk why that story uses it) government is?

i guess only when the government is the most powerful in the world and is run by white people do they feel the need to criticize them.

the day or a couple days after the government still didn't care about helping the people. they were to busy making some corny ass (and i really do mean corny as hell, some d-list bollywood shit) video to help them promote (something to this effect, i saw it quickly) a new motion to change the constitution to give the military government total control of the country. those dudes give a FUCK about the people who live there.

whitey
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Big suprise, no response to that post (^) from the big talkers of the board.

100,000 dead. Bodies literally just all over the place. The threat of a couple deadly disease breaking out because nothing is being done soon enough. But the AmeriKKKa haters in here don't say anything about that. Why is that?

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-11-2008, 07:58 PM
I would assume (not to speak on their behalf) that they don't talk about that as everyone in the world knows Burma's government is fucked up. It's not debatable, it's a fact.

But there's no need to try and turn a thread about this tragedy into an arguement with people over a different subject.

Fermi, for some reason (even though it's all over all the media around me) this thread just reminded me that I hadn't donated anything to the relief fund.

Peace.

whitey
05-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Um nope.

AmeriKKKa is the worst country in the world.

KERZO
05-14-2008, 07:13 AM
Big suprise, no response to that post (^) from the big talkers of the board.

100,000 dead. Bodies literally just all over the place. The threat of a couple deadly disease breaking out because nothing is being done soon enough. But the AmeriKKKa haters in here don't say anything about that. Why is that?

Um nope.

AmeriKKKa is the worst country in the world.

all i can say is......."sure.......whatever........whatta weirdo" =:X