PDA

View Full Version : Remembrances

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Why do we use anniversaries to reminisce about tragic events. I hate that people use the term "anniversary" when speaking about a tragedy. "It's the so-and-so anniversary of the Titanic, the so-and-so anniversary of the Columbine shooting, it's the so-and-so anniversary of 9-11". I have never liked the use of that term, so I'm trying to implement the use of the term Remembrance. That sounds so much better, since anniversary is mostly reserved for celebrations. Why must we continue to use the term anniversary, when we could be using a better term from now on?

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I apologize for that little rant, but I still feel the same way, and have held this feeling for a long time. Thank You for reading.

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Good to see no one disagreeing with me.

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Well the word anniversary means 'the annually reccuring date of a past event'. The word isn't tied to a positive or negative event, just one of relevance/importance.

The anniversary of the end of the first world war is 11th November. But (in the UK anyway) the day is marked by Remembrance Sunday. So the two words kinda mean different things.

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I dont' know why it matters to me, it just does. It doesn't sound right to me to hear the term anniversary to honor a tragic event, is all. I see what you are implying, and agree that it could have the negative or positive connotation, but that could be said with pretty much any word in some cases.

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Why should anniversary apply to the positive then? If an annual remembrance for a tragic event is held, then it can be given a name, but it will take place on the anniversary of the event (or a close by weekend or similar).

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Cause you hear the term happy anniversary too many times.

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
You basically want to change the defination of the word 'anniversary' then?

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
To some extent, yes. Why does everyone expect/want change, but no one really does anything.

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Well because you are the only person I have ever heard say this. One person can't decide a words definition should be changed. Best bet is to invent a new word and spend the rest of your life trying to convince people to use it.

Anniversary also applies to things that are neither positive or negative, so you couldn't really do what you're suugesting.

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Well it only takes one person to influence another to influence another. If such a negative term like the N-Word could change meaning, no matter how long it took to do so, then why can't the same be done. And this is no N-Word.

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
The 'N' word has actually taken on extra meaning, it has never changed meaning. You will still hear it used as a slur against black people. There's also a huge difference in that that word was causing offense to many. You're the only person that seems to have a problem with the word anniversary.

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Well how would I find out if I'm the only one, if I don't ask the question?

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
True. But then given that the word has been used for centuries, the issue might have cropped up before if many people had the same issue.

It is the word(s) that go along with anniversary that define the actual event. In the same way that you have 'date of death' and 'date of birth', but you don't need there to be different words for 'date' just because one refers to a negative event and one a positive.

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Maybe your right, and I'm being stubborn and unopen to your perspective, but I think that there's bigger battles to be fought, and this is an insignificant change of word meaning. I'm about to let this go unless anyone else agrees with their opinions on this. I can't change the world, but I could certainly try...

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Haha, I was gonna suggest that there may be a more worthy crusade for you to launch yourself into if you wish to change the world.

King Tron 1
05-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Alright then Peace, and maybe to be continued...