PDA

View Full Version : Albert Einstein did not believe in God

Art Vandelay
05-13-2008, 08:44 PM
finally, somebody almost as smart as me backs me up on this issue...

Belief in God a 'product of human weaknesses': Einstein letter

Last Updated: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 | 12:36 PM ET Comments229 (http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/05/13/einstein-religion.html?ref=rss#storypost)Recommend130 (http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/05/13/einstein-religion.html?ref=rss#)

CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html)

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/karsh_einstein_lifetimes.jpgAlbert Einstein's letter is expected to fetch between $12,000 and $16,000 U.S. Renowned scientist Albert Einstein dismissed the Bible as a collection of “pretty childish” legends and belief in God as a “product of human weaknesses,” according to a letter to be auctioned this week.
Einstein, who was Jewish, also rejects the notion that Jews were God’s chosen people.
The letter was written in German in 1954 to philosopher Eric Gutkind.
It is to be auctioned in London, England, on Thursday by Bloomsbury Auctions, and is expected to fetch between $12,000 and $16,000 US.
Einstein writes "the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."
Born to a Jewish family in Germany in 1879, he also adds that "for me, the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions."
He also wrote "the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong, and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people.
“As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."
Einstein 'rather quirky about religion': expert

Many have speculated about the religious or spiritual beliefs of the Nobel Prize-winning physicist, whose theory of relativity revolutionized the study of physics.
Some have pointed to Einstein’s quote that God "does not play dice" with the universe (his rejection of the randomness of the universe) as proof of his belief in a higher being.
Others have said that the quote does not advocate a belief in God and have referred to other letters written by Einstein.
"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly,” he wrote in another letter in 1954. "If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
John Brooke, professor emeritus of science and religion at Oxford University, told the Associated Press that the letter lends weight to the notion that "Einstein was not a conventional theist" — although he was not an atheist, either.
"Like many great scientists of the past, he is rather quirky about religion, and not always consistent from one period to another," Brooke said
Brooke said Einstein believed "there is some kind of intelligence working its way through nature. But it is certainly not a conventional Christian or Judaic religious view."
Bloomsbury spokesman Richard Caton said the auction house was "100 per cent certain" of the letter's authenticity.
It is being offered at auction for the first time by a private vendor.

SaqurakiHanamichi
05-13-2008, 08:44 PM
oh oh here we go again

i cant wait for the atheist to argue with the religious

let the wars begin

HANZO
05-13-2008, 08:52 PM
you do kno he was autistic. some of Einsteins theories are completely retarded. this one i think tops them all.

JerseyIronman
05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
i dont really get the atheists, u cant fully deny god, even Richard Dawkins says he isnt the highest 'level' atheist.

im agnostic i think thats alot more practical

TheWolf
05-13-2008, 08:56 PM
if there is a god, he needs to get busy!!!

Art Vandelay
05-13-2008, 09:02 PM

i am too

crass
05-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Black man is god.

TSA
05-13-2008, 09:36 PM
crass has a point, we have really huge dicks.

Art Vandelay
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
how do you know how big crass' dick is?

TSA
05-13-2008, 10:01 PM
he posted it on howardstern.com/forums and there was a 16 page thread about it

you were to busy with the "Which breast grab was howards best" thread and missed it

Eyetalian
05-13-2008, 10:23 PM
You can't deny GOD he is like in the bible and shit which was written by ummmmmmmm..... peoples so like GOD exists and shit he's on TV and shoots lightning bolls from MT. Olympus and shit.

PS. Richard Dawkins is an idiot he believes we are retarded fish-frogs.

HarlemDiplomat
05-14-2008, 02:55 AM
meh

Robert
05-14-2008, 03:23 AM
crass has a point, we have really huge dicks.

For real.

Don't make me google "black + god + small penis" Skampoe style.

:)

Edgar Erebus
05-14-2008, 03:40 AM
This is a hell of a yawn.

05-14-2008, 12:15 PM
finally, somebody almost as smart as me backs me up on this issue...

finally?
you haven't heard of any smart atheists/agnostics until now?

wow..

Art Vandelay
05-14-2008, 12:26 PM
well einstein is the closest of any of them to my intelligence

TAURO
05-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Of course he didn't believe in God...he was a scientist.

Da Ryda
05-14-2008, 05:31 PM
finally, somebody almost as smart as me

I just don't think that's possible... Nobody could stoop that low...

JASPER
05-14-2008, 05:37 PM
http://img.ircimages.com/ircimages/0/a/0a9b991ee8f19d69b0813b1beaf46884.jpg

anus/

VZA
05-14-2008, 05:58 PM
i dont really get the atheists, u cant fully deny god, even Richard Dawkins says he isnt the highest 'level' atheist.

Definitely.

AGNOSTICS R SUPERIAAARR

6˛ Chambaz
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Albert Einstein did not believe in God. Now look what's heppened to him. He's dead. And his corpse probably smells too

JerseyIronman
05-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Of course he didn't believe in God...he was a scientist.

there are some scientists that are religious, even today

Albert Einstein did not believe in God. Now look what's heppened to him. He's dead. And his corpse probably smells too

lol Pope John Paul II died too

Art Vandelay
05-14-2008, 10:34 PM

i don't get your point. everybody that has ever believed in god is dead or going to be dead, too. not to mention that their corpses smell.

BTTR KNG KOOL
05-14-2008, 10:41 PM
every scientist believes in the entity, the god.

thats the foundation of science.

all the way from mapping the stars to splitting the atom,, and to where ever.

anything u see happening on earth is just tradition & culture, when it comes to religion.

Einstein is jus saying that certain traditions are not neccesarily about God, or about "true god".

it jus really seems that the only difference is between the people who have traditions & religion and who have not.

JerseyIronman
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
i don't get your point. everybody that has ever believed in god is dead or going to be dead, too. not to mention that their corpses smell.

i think he was being facetious

6˛ Chambaz
05-15-2008, 03:35 AM
there are some scientists that are religious, even today

he's not dead, he's in Vatican Heaven drinkin' henny and fuckin' mad bitches. Einstein is simply dead

Art Vandelay
05-15-2008, 03:41 AM
if there really is a god, then pope john paul II should be in hell. he turned his back to the fact that priests were molesting altar boys. not saying that he condoned it, but he knew it was happening and tried to cover it up.

Cee Oh Vee
05-15-2008, 01:16 PM
i thought he was jewish..

Maccabee Ridah
05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Me too....
Maybe he WAS a jewish, just did not pay too much attention to religion.
As someone said - "He was scientist"! :D

Koolish
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
who gives a fuck what someone else believes, found your own belief in rationality and keep your mind open.

VZA
05-15-2008, 07:25 PM
if there really is a god, then pope john paul II should be in hell. he turned his back to the fact that priests were molesting altar boys. not saying that he condoned it, but he knew it was happening and tried to cover it up.

haha, he sounds ace. when was he around?

JerseyIronman
05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
haha, he sounds ace. when was he around?

he was the last Pope, he died a few years ago

come on man get your Catholic Church knowledge together

Dick Cheney
05-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Its too bad we never met, I would've made him realize otherwise
________
Marijuana indica (http://strainindex.com)

THE W
05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
i'll put a cookie by his gravestone.

Sgt Holly Wood
05-15-2008, 09:19 PM
lol at the thread starter claiming einstein is almost as smart as him, but anyways.. i dont consider einstein no type of fucking genius at all

mostly white folks see him as like a prophet

im not gonna comment on the god topic though, cuz i dont believe in things..i kno them

Dick Cheney
05-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Indeed Steels, we've talked before
________
Penny Stocks (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

Sgt Holly Wood
05-15-2008, 11:44 PM
word ^^

u had an old name before or something?

Dick Cheney
05-15-2008, 11:57 PM
No, but knowing God is knowing the God
________
PAXIL INJURY LAWYER (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Bg_Knocc_Out
05-15-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't know wether to believe the bible and such, but I think there is a higher power, and I choose to still call him god. There are to many things that happen that are much more han what we call "coincidental"...

Sgt Holly Wood
05-15-2008, 11:58 PM
No, but knowing God is knowing the God

yeah, no doubt brova

hectis
05-16-2008, 12:20 AM
i dont really care if he does or not it wont change what i believe and if he did would it change what an atheist believed?

Art Vandelay
05-16-2008, 12:26 AM

hmmm. last time i checked, the jews believed in god

Eyetalian
05-16-2008, 12:40 AM
I recommend the fools in this thread read the man Kant (German philosopher circa 18 century) and I'm also with Bakunin "If God really existed, then it would be necessary to abolish him"

A couple of reasons why the concept of GOD is a joke

1. The omnipotence paradox (look it up I'm not explaining it)
2. Theological noncognitvism (sp?)
3. Chicken and the Egg (infinite regress)

anyway there are a lot more but can hell be bothered

cue people saying but he's like all powerul and shit u NOOOOOOOOB

hectis
05-16-2008, 01:45 AM
how does the chicken and the egg prove there is no god?

Eyetalian
05-16-2008, 01:54 AM
how does the chicken and the egg prove there is no god?

The counter-argument against the Cosmological argument ("chicken or the egg") takes its assumption that things cannot exist without creators and applies it to God, setting up an infinite regress. This attacks the premise that the universe is the second cause (after God, who is claimed to be the first cause)

hectis
05-16-2008, 02:04 AM
ok

Dick Cheney
05-16-2008, 02:10 AM
Go ask any female, multiple orgasms prove of God's existence. That and the fact he's typing you a message right now
________
LovelyWendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

rich gannon
05-16-2008, 06:03 PM
well he was a scientist....most scientists dont believe in god. whats the surprise?

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^Worst 3 consecutive posts in Wu corp history.

Senator C. Palantine
02-04-2009, 07:18 PM
well what does that make your post, faggit?

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
well what does that make your post, faggit?

Killa BB
02-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Einstein is probably the smartest dude in Hell right now...

Good For Him? :thumbup:

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-05-2009, 02:28 AM
I don't believe in God, but don't call me an atheist, cuz that's a christian word and I don't wanna have nothing to do with them. Although my girlfriend is a a christian tho.

Come Honor Face
02-05-2009, 03:45 AM
I find the belief in God to be slightly more ridiculous than the belief in the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus. Just slightly.

Visionz
02-05-2009, 04:00 AM
Press that the letter lends weight to the notion that "Einstein was not a conventional theist" — although he was not an atheist, either.
"Like many great scientists of the past, he is rather quirky about religion, and not always consistent from one period to another," Brooke said
Brooke said Einstein believed "there is some kind of intelligence working its way through nature. But it is certainly not a conventional Christian or Judaic religious view."
Einstein's problem where with religion ,not God.

I think people that don't believe in God have forgot just how SMALL humans are. Absolutely tiny. Like a pixel compared to the entire world tiny. (but I'm ok to agree to disagree)

Come Honor Face
02-05-2009, 04:04 AM
I think people who believe in God have forgotten that we are animals. We are the smartest animals, but we are just animals. The thought that there is a God who sent his son in a human form to teach us about how he loves us all is pretty arrogant imo.

Visionz
02-05-2009, 04:11 AM
I think people who believe in God have forgotten that we are animals. We are the smartest animals, but we are just animals. The thought that there is a God who sent his son in a human form to teach us about how he loves us all is pretty arrogant imo.
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about religion, I said God. You're not referring to God, you're referring to religion.

btw.....animals are amazing too. You ever learned much about octopus? Favorite animals on the entire planet right there.

Come Honor Face
02-05-2009, 04:13 AM
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about religion, I said God. You're not referring to God, you're referring to religion.

btw.....animals are amazing too. You ever learned much about octopus? Favorite animals on the entire planet right there.

Ok. I see what you are sayin. Actually, I don't know much about the Octopus. I'll have to do some research on them.

Visionz
02-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Ok. I see what you are sayin. Actually, I don't know much about the Octopus. I'll have to do some research on them.
Fuck a chamillion hahaa, check it
ckP8msIgMYE

Come Honor Face
02-05-2009, 05:03 AM
^^^HOLY SHIT! That's crazy!