PDA

View Full Version : question for any of u who make beats

GSTYLE
05-15-2008, 12:07 PM
what do u need essentially to start making beats?

I would like to make beats for the love of it, so what equipment would i need?

My PC is quite good, can any1 list what id need? i.e. sampler, drum machine, bass, keyboard?

Any help would be appreciated so i can get an idea of what is required if i do decide to go purchase this stuff

Edgar Erebus
05-15-2008, 12:16 PM
If you don't mean it seriously, FL Studio is all you need. You can make quite good beats on it, can almost sound professional.

If you do... Well, I think the main is keyboard and drum machine for current-sounding hip-hop. If you want some old-school touch, except for those you need turntables and sampler. I'm also at the moment learning 'bout them, so these are only loose advices.

GSTYLE
05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
nah i want something better than simply using a PC.

i like the idea of gettin some more equipment than just software

beeboy
05-15-2008, 12:40 PM
if u like the pete rock / premo type of style, u could buy an sp 1200 or mpc 60...both got that trademark 12 bit sound.
an newer version of n mpc got also good sound, much more sampletime.
i would say, forget about a drummachine, sample some def 70īs drums, and make your own drum library-> its ffresh plus u get a unique style by doin that.
i had severall samplers over the years, but i do my beats only with cubase plus plug-ins nowadays.

rza also made good shit on the asr 10, also nottz & domingo uses that 1...its a keyboard type sampler...good for bein creative...but for me, i sstick to a pc, things a very visible and fast to handle..but a keyboard is necesarry to play some basslines n sounds...man, there īs so many synth plugin-s to use its crazy..u can get some plugins n programs here (http://audiopirate.blogspot.com/)

GSTYLE
05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
ok so list it for me.

PC
KEYBOARD TO PLAY BASS/SOUNDS
PROCUDER SOFTWARE
MPC
Maybe a drum machine?

beeboy
05-15-2008, 02:40 PM
i what say:

pc, steinberg cubase, a midi keyboard , good plugins (check waves ssl eqīs),
syntheziser-plugins. thats basically it, if u got a good pc, u only have to get that keyboard, the programs you can find in that blog i think. that software is very expensive, waves plugin bundle costs about severall thousand dollars, but unless u make big money with your beats, i would say its ok to download it ; )

drummachine is not necesarry. dmīs only got rubbish preset sounds...forget about that...you can easily find good old drumloops, and cut out the best kicks n snrs, and build an own library..thats how people like premier, pete rock, 9th wonder do it, so u canīt go wrong with that.
and for me, mpc isnīt necesarry...focus on the pc

GSTYLE
05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
thanks for that beeboy.
this may sound stupid but what do u mean by good plug ins? and synth plugins? LOL shows how much i know about it. i just want to be clear about what each individual thing does

Sideoutfox
05-15-2008, 04:22 PM
go get yourself a roland mc-909. that was the first thing i ever bought, even before software. if you want to learn how to not just make beats, but also music, then that is what you need.

Focus Man
05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Fruity Loops or Reason. I used to use Fruity Loops, and now i use Reason with a midi keyboard hooked up to it.

GSTYLE
05-15-2008, 04:26 PM
so im guessin that with that u can choose different settings so that the keys represent a different group of sounds? and ur samples are taken with the software?

Focus Man
05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
ya, it gives u a set of different instruments that u can play around with and u can add ur own stuff into it too.

GSTYLE
05-15-2008, 04:51 PM
it looks complicated as hell to use. does it take a long time to learn?

Can u make beats of any style with it with the range of sounds on offer?

e.g everything from a westcoast Daz Dillinger style beat to a Pete Rock style sample-driven beat?

KLIION JENSEN
05-15-2008, 04:57 PM
theres one thing that you 100% need more than anything else to make beats, if you dont have this then your beats will sound shit, you need, above all else, A GOOD CREATIVE EAR FOR MUSIC.

i've been using Fruity Loops 3 since like 2002 and i'm still finding new stuff on it, alot of people say its a kiddies music programme, but i'm loving it, i get some damn good beats out of it, you just have to put the time and effort in to getting it to sound good.

i've always used Soundforge to sample with, and i sometimes use cubase to create my own melodies & stuff, then sample it through Sounforge & fuck with it like a sample..i sample my own drums, kicks snare, hi hats and blend em together with the presets in Fruity Loops. somebody already said it, but BUILD YOUR OWN SOUND LIBRARY, kicks, snares, bass note, piano notes, chords, guitar licks, dont just rely on what comes with the programme.

Focus Man
05-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Gstyle....hit me up on AIM sometime and i'll teach the ins-and-outs of Reason. Its not that complicated once u get a hang of it.

GSTYLE
05-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Ive downloaded FruityLoops but am havin a bitch of a time installing it and getting it to work.

Focus Man where can i DL Reason if its betteR?

GSTYLE
05-16-2008, 10:11 AM
update: lol, ive got fruity loops workin right, any1 familiar with it? how can i take my own sample?

KLIION JENSEN
05-16-2008, 10:30 AM
update: lol, ive got fruity loops workin right, any1 familiar with it? how can i take my own sample?

u need to get a sampling programme, i use Soundforge

DRUNKENDRAGON
05-16-2008, 10:33 AM
to sample in FL studio just get an audio converting program, turn the mp3 into a .wav file then edit the .wav within FL

INF
05-16-2008, 10:42 AM
In FL is a thing called "edison". Look that up. You dont need soundforge or any of that shit. Find Edison and also use the FPC.

I repeat , with FL , all u need is FL. YOU DONT NEED a Audio Converter.

For my shit I have a M-audio Midi Controller and FL. I got a lot of samples and stock drums and shit but I also make my own drums. It just depends but everything I do is in FL cuz they offer you all the tools.

The midi Controller or an MPC is a must. Dont be fuckin with a program and just a mouse.

GSTYLE
05-16-2008, 11:05 AM
thanks for the help fellas

MF Herbs
05-19-2008, 09:14 AM
sp 303, sp 404, sp 555.. Sp brothas..

LuckyTheWonderDog
05-19-2008, 09:19 AM
If you can afford it, I personally find that even before talking about how the music sounds, it's an awful lot more enjoyable making a beat on an MPC or similar hardware than on a pc.

I use a combination of an MPC2000XL, an E-mu SP-1200, and Pro Tools for the pc. My favourite sound is the SP, but the MPC is the most fun to play with.

bad boy T
05-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Get a decent Midi Box so you can connect to your computer and fuse sounds into other sound like turn a keyboard beat into a drum beat

GSTYLE
05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Is it true i will need to upgrade my soundcard to a special type to handle that?

what will i need to be able to plug a keyboard into my pc and "play" music?