PDA

View Full Version : Nas Backs Down On Album Title

TAURO
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Nas' upcoming album came with a title that has drawn more than enough attention than the fact it was his next album. Nigger was the name of the prolific lyricist's ninth studio album - the key word here is "was."
According to EW.com, a Def Jam representative has confirmed that Nas will no longer be naming his upcoming project Nigger. Instead, Nasir Jones will opt for a less controversial title: Nas.
It looked as if Nas and Def Jam were comfortable with the eyebrow-raising album title. Island Def Jam Music (http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.6963/title.nas-changes-album-title#) Chair, L.A. Reid, even went so far as to say "Anything Nas wants to do, I completely stand beside him," in an interview last year.
But as the release draws near, Nas spoke to MTV about the increasing pressure to change the title.
"Everybody is trying to stop the title," Nas stated. "Record stores are gonna have a problem in this day and time selling a record with that title. Who knows what's gonna turn out and be on that title? Who knows what that title will be?"
Apparently, the phrase "pressure busts pipes" has finally reared its head and the controversial title has finally been changed.
No comment as of yet from Nas or Def Jam regarding the change as of press time. Look for Nas' now self titled album in stores July 1st.

Orion Nebulus
05-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Lmao!

King Tron 1
05-19-2008, 04:40 PM
What a bitch move, I would've liked it better with the title before. Nas ya no tiene huevos. Still gonna get the album tho, haven't listened to anything Nas since Stillmatic. He better not waste my money.

portis24
05-19-2008, 04:40 PM
i don't care what he call's along as it's good

Tecknowledgist
05-19-2008, 04:41 PM
pussy

King Tron 1
05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
anyone else see Nas & Def Jam a bit off color? Still don't like the new title tho

Suga Duga
05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
surprise surprise, strategic move

11th Chamber
05-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I called it from the start

TheWolf
05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Apparantely it's outside pressure that causes him to choose wack beats as well........

King Tron 1
05-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Forgot about the wack list of producers, so when's Nas's NEXT album gonna drop?

12weLvE
05-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Good move NAS!!! I really was against this "Nigger" album tittle from the beginning. Shit will affect sales, and record stores wont want any part of that shit. Just bring some bangers, and we will all be happy.

INF
05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
bitch move. it was time for that.

6 Chambaz
05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
-10 GeOhDee points for Nas

TheWolf
05-19-2008, 05:18 PM
if the album is good, I dont care.

I have a feeling i'm going to care....

6 Chambaz
05-19-2008, 05:23 PM
can you imagine if Raekwon would rename his upcoming album to "Corey Woods" ???

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
05-19-2008, 05:24 PM
not shocked

Rame
05-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Can't be bothered, if it's good, i'll get it.

cap
05-19-2008, 06:26 PM
not a good look for nas

THE W
05-19-2008, 06:29 PM
eh, no matter. he got the pub he wanted.

cap
05-19-2008, 06:31 PM
allhiphop says the album will be untitled,thats weird.
how the fuck is anybody gonna order it,or search for it?

6 Chambaz
05-19-2008, 06:32 PM
eh, no matter. he got the pub he wanted.
weak pub. there wasn't such a buzz that Def Jam expected, so they decide to drop the name to prevent future problems

TAURO
05-19-2008, 06:36 PM
allhiphop says the album will be untitled,thats weird.
how the fuck is anybody gonna order it,or search for it?

The album will just be called "Nas"

Guarded By Martyrs
05-19-2008, 06:50 PM
surprise surprise, strategic move

Yep
I called it from the start
Yep
bitch move. it was time for that.
Yep

HANZO
05-19-2008, 06:50 PM
it was an obvious publicity stunt, kinda backfired. he loses some credit for this.

SaqurakiHanamichi
05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
i personally dont care, its gonna be another streets disciple

Kong
05-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Boo

I'm not even going to listen to it now , nas is a industry punk.

oDoUoSoKo
05-19-2008, 07:06 PM
im sooooo uninterested with Nas now, fuck him and his upcoming albums.

claaa7
05-19-2008, 07:12 PM
yeah I was expecting this but still a weak move although it's true the album wouldn't be sold in some stores, etc.. let's just hope Nas brings his A-game and got some god damn great beats..

KZA
05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/f8a930c6.jpg (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/f8a930c6.jpg)

King Tron 1
05-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Bullshit, he could've done this at least:

N****

Or blocked the name or something. Changing it only proves that he cares about sales and not content, I don't think I'll be buying or downloading any Nas in the future.

TAURO
05-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Until Nas can pull an album thats at least Stillmatic levels he won't be getting any of my money.

DUMBO
05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
the concept was weak to begin with, nevertheless...

i bet he was blocked by the same chumps that stopped my "wop-house: tomato and cheese house" concept from making it big.

SaqurakiHanamichi
05-19-2008, 08:00 PM
bring back nas escobar shiiiit i dont give a fuk about this new shit .

nas - live from the bridge (one of the craziest songs ever)

ALCATRAZ
05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
L

Tecknowledgist
05-19-2008, 10:29 PM
He should just do what Raekwon did with OBFCL and call it

"..."

^^and not the dude up there either

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
05-19-2008, 11:35 PM
FUCK THA RECORD COMPANIES

JerseyIronman
05-19-2008, 11:43 PM
W
E
A
K

i cant believe i just read this, how can u change the title now after all that????

tical2000
05-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Hip Hop is so fuckin soft nowadays....

NAS just got punked out by the suits at DEF JAM.....changing his album title to "NAS", how fuckin borring and unoriginal

.....I remember the days when hip hop was dangerous, the corporations watering down hip hop is why hip sales are down and the majority of music sucks nowadays...everybody hedging there investments and afraid to take a chance

SickT
05-20-2008, 03:51 AM
Fuck that shit. nas is pussy

THE W
05-20-2008, 08:08 AM
weak pub. there wasn't such a buzz that Def Jam expected, so they decide to drop the name to prevent future problems
he can always go back to the old fashioned method of making a quality album and properly promoting it.

TSA
05-20-2008, 08:25 AM
HA!

SUPRRIISEE!:tease::tease:

SUPRISEEEE!:tease::tease:

:tease::tease:SEE! I FUCKING TOLD YOU!:tease::tease::tease:

All this "REAL HIP HOP faggots are, mark my words, thee ONLY sell outs in rap music

not gucci mane

not the god 50 cetn

not boosie

no soulja boy

:point:WU-TANG

:point:NAS

:point::point:ALL THEM FUCKIN NIGGZ

All of ya'll are constantly on ppl like 50cents bo'zack about being a sellout while all the none sellout rappers sellout on a daily basis

nas simplifing his flow so for the fucking media
wutang constantly comprimising their albums and music for the fucking media
all of them homos making albums about fucking white ppl sucking and hip hop dying and shit, and then having one random "giggle yo ass girl" song

and apes like you buy it cause it has boring looped beat, and high pitched voice samples

Real hip hop my ass}:T

you know who's real hip hop, fucking Too Short, UGK, Cashmoney, No Limit, Boosie, Webbie, Shawty lo

These niggas talk about pussies, assholes, cunts, drinking cough syrup, say nigga 400000x a line, strippers, ass cracks, and so forth and then put that shit in the record stores

AND GET M*DNEE.

and all their fans recognize the fact that they're true to what they stand for, and will NEVER, EVER, EVER comprimise their themes for fucking MTV, THUS MTV LOVES THEM.

i used to always ask B.G. fans why the like the homo, they say "cause he's real"

I GET IT NOW.

'real hip hop' ain't real

Nas sucks. I don't wanna hear his shit anymore. Nas sucks. Nas sucked after It Was Written, anyone checking for Nas in 2008 is a dick rider, nas sucks, he's weak, the nigga can't rap anymore, he's fucking boring, dumb, horrible beat selector, preachy, played out, and a PUSSY.

PeYouEsEsWhy!

TSA
05-20-2008, 08:30 AM
F15hVKrSAZk
#(#(#(#(
LISTEN TO THIS BITCH ASS SLAVE MAKING SUCKA FA LUV BULLSHIT CAUSE HE GOT WIFEED BY KELIS

TSA
05-20-2008, 08:37 AM
HM1Wg2kdMgQ
TELL ME CAM'RON IS WRONG NIGGA! TELL ME THIS SHIT ISN'T THE TROOTH RIGHT NOW NIGGA! ANYONE THAT STILL DENIES CAM'RONZ TROOTH IS A BITCH ASS PUSSY HERMAPHODITE WITH A DICK!
QUIT HIDDING FROM THE TRUTH! EVEN I FUCKED WINNIE!
http://www.medaloffreedom.com/Nelson_WinnieMandela.jpeg
LOOK AT HIM! AHAHAHAHhahaH!
COUNTRY BAMMER ASS FUCK! AHAHAHAHAHahahaHAHAHH!H!!!!!H!H!H!H!HHH!!!!!!!!!!! "MY NEW ALBUM IS CALLED NAS!" FAGGOT! YOU PUNK! HERMAPHODITE, PUSSY WITH A DICK! AHAHAAH

http://www.worldwrestlinginsanity.com/images2/mrballs.gif
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

TheWolf
05-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Nas needs to peep this video
GnVFKD_X2cY

TSA
05-20-2008, 09:11 AM
he can't, its no longer available

JerseyIronman
05-20-2008, 10:36 AM
werent there videos out there recently of someone asking him

"does your record company have a problem with ur album title?"

and he was like "nah everythings cool blah blah"

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED ALL OF A SUDDEN?

THE W
05-20-2008, 10:43 AM
everyone in the game is either a selling out now or will be a sellout.

50 and that boy are sellouts too. they just came up in the game when their bullshit was popular. why should they change when the music they came in the game making is what sells? also, its not like the market for the type of music they make wasnt already well established before they got in the game.

if christian music was popular every one of these rappers would be rapping about going to church and the being touched by the holy spirit.

benzo
05-20-2008, 10:50 AM
What that Braveheart's song.....oh yeah, "Quick To Back Down". lol

Rame
05-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Not sure if it's said or not:

It's not called Nas, the album has no title.

Nas said something like: ''The people know what it's called''.

TrueDciple
05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
NWA did it. Nas and his label knew since day one there were going to be pressure and controversy and now they just realize it?...fuck out of here at least name the shit something else other then "Nas". But whatever... very bad look for nas. Revolutionary my ass! he just keep digging his own grave.

CharlesJones
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I could care less what the album title is gonna be because Nas hasn't made a good album to me since It Was Written. He's ignorant for naming the album Nigger in the first place. I thought Nas was a intelligent brother but he's no different than most ignorant rappers. I can't believe LA Reid was gonna support Nas's decision to name the album Nigger and his ass is in charge of the record company. What does that say about LA Reid? Nas is trying to draw attention to himself. That's the only reason why he would name his album that ignorant word. He knows that the word is degrading to blacks and it's a word that racist whites called blacks when they were slaves.

CommSense
05-20-2008, 05:53 PM
i knew mr sellout would sell out eventually.

Kenny Powers
05-20-2008, 06:38 PM
cant believe everyone is calling him a sellout, clearly nas didnt wanna change the name of his album, but there was nothing he could do, everyone knew the album title was doomed from the start. I dont know what hes gonna be with tha whole n*gger concept he had goin...

Ghost In The 'Lac
05-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Shit...Nas....L. Major L. That should be his new name. All this talk about not be a nigga slave in the 21st century, and he just got whipped and told to shut up and hes taken it. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. L

Why cant this cat just quit? He would save his constant dickslapping of himself and ruining my enjoyment of Illmatic now I know this guy is a moron.

at least we dont all have to cringe thru his ignorant and retarded media interviews trying to explain his self.

TheWolf
05-20-2008, 07:14 PM
This guy has been failing for years.

Dumb as fuck in interviews.
Shit albums.
Wack publicity stunts.

Nas to drop next album, titled.............
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/african-american-art/minstrel.jpg

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
05-20-2008, 09:39 PM
man people need to back the fuck off of this whole shit. dude makes a living with his music and because he attempt to stand his ground but business wise it wasn't savvy people need to get off and all these hiphop websites tend to forget it's business 1st, music 2nd and they just wanna get off cuz Nas has become an easy target since moving to def jam. i think that guys like Jay-Z should be held to equal or similar standard look when he dropped the weak ass "kingdom come" and a slightly better "American Gangster" people need to stop wit the bias and start smarten up before the start talking trash

Kenny Powers
05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
^ this thread needed a sensible comment like that. too many ppl overreacting and losing all respect for nas over this

Koolish
05-20-2008, 11:05 PM
you know when nas is a sell out? when his lyrics turn all oochi wally on us.

we don't know what it's like being in the industry, but from what i can say, no matter what you do you should maintain strength in your opinions as an artist.

Ghost In The 'Lac
05-21-2008, 10:45 AM
man people need to back the fuck off of this whole shit. dude makes a living with his music and because he attempt to stand his ground but business wise it wasn't savvy people need to get off and all these hiphop websites tend to forget it's business 1st, music 2nd and they just wanna get off cuz Nas has become an easy target since moving to def jam. i think that guys like Jay-Z should be held to equal or similar standard look when he dropped the weak ass "kingdom come" and a slightly better "American Gangster" people need to stop wit the bias and start smarten up before the start talking trash

You shouldnt use the word "Nigger" as a business stunt. This is why Nas is such a tool, hes was pretending to make such a powerful and meaningful statements that effect alot of people, and youre saying he was just doing business?

The reason he took such a fail is not just because he backed down to corportate pressure, but because of the very thing he was trying to give as a message was to no longer be used and opressed by the powers that be, no longer be held down by restraints, yet as soon as hes told to, he does just that. The guy is a pussy.

How serious was he about this whole thing if all of a sudden a few stores might not stock his record, so he values record sales over his "big moral statement". And how did his record label not mention to him before that they didnt want this album title?

JerseyIronman
05-21-2008, 11:27 AM
And how did his record label not mention to him before that they didnt want this album title?

Thats what I really dont get about this whole thing. im not that mad at Nas over this, he tried a controversial album title and then backed down on it, whatver, im not gonna stop listening to him because of this or anything. but how could it come this far and then get a title change?

you would think he would of checked with his record label good enough before he went ahead with this. did some big time record exec just realize what was going on and made him change it?

Rame
05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
You'll find out soon enough.

People hating on Nas because of this are pathetic.

Nas is still one of the illest.