PDA

View Full Version : Nas- NIGGER... Publicity Stunt or what??

12weLvE
05-21-2008, 10:09 AM
:mmmyah:

I think it was a whole stunt to give his album hype... He fucking knew that he wasnt going to get away with that shit.

Sinistarr
05-21-2008, 10:13 AM
i've heard the first single "Be A Nigger Too" and its not a gimmick... hes still on the same good form he had on Hip Hop Is Dead, if not more focussed

Durag
05-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah, porbably. Nas is one of my favourite rappers, but he pissed me off with that shit. And if its gonna be anothr wack Streets Desiple of Hip-Hop Is Dead then im not interested

Chief 'Broom
05-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Time for someone to start talking sense here. A publicity stunt is stabbing someone in the leg before your album comes out or suddenly having your sex tape stolen as soon as your reality series comes on. There's something phony about it. Naming your album Nigger is not a publicity stunt. That's making a strong message. It angers people, but Nas is willing to back up his statements with some thought proking music. His songs so far are about look - they call us niggers still to this day, privately, but look how much more I am than "a nigger." Look at how much attention he gets without the controversial title. OH MY GOD HE CHANGED THE NAME OF HIS ALBUM. SELLOUT. Are you kidding me? Selling out is when your music is suddenly for young teenagers but you were a gangster before. Who the fuck cares what someone calls their album. No one. No one cares what any other artist names their album. Nas has always been the most criticized artist when he's actually the only rapper that reaches the mainstream making actual hip hop. Maybe he decided he doesn't need to take on the nigger battle afterall. He'll be having Oprah calling him to have him on her show and shit. He doesn't want people like that listening to his music. There is a serious generation gap with some black people. Maybe he no longer wants to be on Fox news with out of touch people saying Naz named his album the N-word. All that really matters is if the music is good or not, and so far he's put out two quality songs. The rest sounds promising. How bout we discuss this all after the CD drops?

12weLvE
05-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I am not knocking him for changing his tittle... I dont give a fuck...and I said that on the other thread... I just think this was intentionally done.

Chief 'Broom
05-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm not really singling you out. There's a lot of talk about Nas all the sudden and some people saying some ridiculous shit. I'd say it wasn't part of the plan that he would change the title at the end. Everyones too politically correct today and perhaps he realized that.

SWAMP WATER
05-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Nas is one of the last real hip hop heads alive.He always brings about thought provoking shit.It sounds out of place,and it sounds like a gimmick,because the indistry is full of cat in da hat rappers,puttin out bullshit music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

SaqurakiHanamichi
05-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Time for someone to start talking sense here. A publicity stunt is stabbing someone in the leg before your album comes out or suddenly having your sex tape stolen as soon as your reality series comes on. There's something phony about it. Naming your album Nigger is not a publicity stunt. That's making a strong message. It angers people, but Nas is willing to back up his statements with some thought proking music. His songs so far are about look - they call us niggers still to this day, privately, but look how much more I am than "a nigger." Look at how much attention he gets without the controversial title. OH MY GOD HE CHANGED THE NAME OF HIS ALBUM. SELLOUT. Are you kidding me? Selling out is when your music is suddenly for young teenagers but you were a gangster before. Who the fuck cares what someone calls their album. No one. No one cares what any other artist names their album. Nas has always been the most criticized artist when he's actually the only rapper that reaches the mainstream making actual hip hop. Maybe he decided he doesn't need to take on the nigger battle afterall. He'll be having Oprah calling him to have him on her show and shit. He doesn't want people like that listening to his music. There is a serious generation gap with some black people. Maybe he no longer wants to be on Fox news with out of touch people saying Naz named his album the N-word. All that really matters is if the music is good or not, and so far he's put out two quality songs. The rest sounds promising. How bout we discuss this all after the CD drops?

truthfully nobody cares about nas as they cared about him in 2001 .... Nas has to come out with something controversial to sell albums, And business is business , Money is money ,In his business his goal is to sell "the most units"
. How do u sell "the most units"? , well u create a controversial album called "nigger" that will make worldwide buzz ..

alot of people just got bored of nas , He had to do something ./.......

but nas IS NOT SELLING OUT . NAS IS JUST DOING WHAT HE HAS TO DO TO PAY THE GAS BILLS,

there is nothing wrong with that, ITs just like putting up posters on every corner advertising the album , After all a ALBUM is a "Product" and it has to be "sold" ...

but the pathetic thing about it is that, IF u gonna name an album "hip hop is dead" and not put quality type songs like illmatic, than ur pathetic,,, And if u gonna choose such a strong word as "NIGGER" and choose boring beats and make boring songs with no replay value , than u are pathetic.....

Chief 'Broom
05-21-2008, 12:30 PM
^^This is not directed at you.

But rap fans today are the reason we can't have anything nice. Anyone still wanting Nas to put out an Illmatic needs to mature a little. Nas was a teenager then. It's now 13 years later and he is in his 30s. He simply doesn't have that mindset anymore. He's learned to use his voice to talk about more important things than living in the projects. That would be fake. Yeah Nas isn't an Immortal Technique or a Talib Kweli with one solid set a values. He's not underground. You got people like NY Oil criticizing Nas' music - then you listen to NY Oil and you realize that his voice and flow don't touch Nas. NY Oil will never get to Nas' level. All that's happened is Nas has grown up and some of his audience have not. I myself don't listen to Mobb Deep anymore. I used to think Infamous was the shit and I loved that mentality. Then I learned that Prodigy gets beat up all the time and he's as phony as it gets, but still raps about being a gangster on every song. Nas has always been smarter than those around him. Remember when Cilvaringz tried to take it back to the 36 Chambers days. It was a joke to me. You got this foreigner trying to be Wu-Tang. It's not 1995 anymore. Nas' record will sell though. There's plenty of old school hip hop listeners who have gotten wiser over the years and expect a little more from rappers. It kills me when people criticize the few true emcees that still exist when rap has become what it has become today. There's a lot of quality music coming out and people hate on it. You lose at life, not Nas.

whitey
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
yes indeed.

bunch of wack shit.

Ghost In The 'Lac
05-21-2008, 12:43 PM
^^This is not directed at you.

But rap fans today are the reason we can't have anything nice. Anyone still wanting Nas to put out an Illmatic needs to mature a little. Nas was a teenager then. It's now 13 years later and he is in his 30s. He simply doesn't have that mindset anymore. He's learned to use his voice to talk about more important things than living in the projects. That would be fake. Yeah Nas isn't an Immortal Technique or a Talib Kweli with one solid set a values. He's not underground. You got people like NY Oil criticizing Nas' music - then you listen to NY Oil and you realize that his voice and flow don't touch Nas. NY Oil will never get to Nas' level. All that's happened is Nas has grown up and some of his audience have not. I myself don't listen to Mobb Deep anymore. I used to think Infamous was the shit and I loved that mentality. Then I learned that Prodigy gets beat up all the time and he's as phony as it gets, but still raps about being a gangster on every song. Nas has always been smarter than those around him. Remember when Cilvaringz tried to take it back to the 36 Chambers days. It was a joke to me. You got this foreigner trying to be Wu-Tang. It's not 1995 anymore. Nas' record will sell though. There's plenty of old school hip hop listeners who have gotten wiser over the years and expect a little more from rappers. It kills me when people criticize the few true emcees that still exist when rap has become what it has become today. There's a lot of quality music coming out and people hate on it. You lose at life, not Nas.

The reason he took such a fail is not just because he backed down to corportate pressure, but because of the very thing he was trying to give as a message was to no longer be used and opressed by the powers that be, no longer be held down by restraints, yet as soon as hes told to, he does just that. The guy is a pussy.

How serious was he about this whole thing if all of a sudden a few stores might not stock his record, so he values record sales over his "big moral statement". And how did his record label not mention to him before that they didnt want this album title? He used a very sensitive issue for his own financial gain. I hate Nas, he a fake, a phoney. Plus hes dumb as shit. I consider Illmatic Nas a different person to now.

THE W
05-21-2008, 02:06 PM
damn right it was a stunt. hiphop is dead was a stunt.

come out and say something provocative and controversial which has no purpose other than to get people talking about you. there's no such thing as bad publicity i guess.

if he really had a legitmate reason for using the title than he would've kept it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sanDhVXiL._SS500_.jpg

12weLvE
05-21-2008, 02:17 PM
damn right it was a stunt. hiphop is dead was a stunt.

come out and say something provocative and controversial which has no purpose other than to get people talking about you. there's no such thing as bad publicity i guess.

if he really had a legitmate reason for using the title than he would've kept it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sanDhVXiL._SS500_.jpg

:yes:

Its all a fucking stunt.

DEVAMPS
05-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Cormega>Nas

ahahah just had to throw that out there

Chief 'Broom
05-21-2008, 02:22 PM
When's Cormega's album dropping? I've been waiting for years - haven't checked him out on his forum lately. This would be perfect timing for his album to drop

If Nas just did it as a stunt, it's better than other stunts.

SickT
05-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Don't know if these have been posted before but check em' out

http://videos.onsmash.com/v/7mb1InKliUVXpuv1

http://videos.onsmash.com/v/rHfc4TkIf1XQR5w8

Kenny Powers
05-21-2008, 02:27 PM
people are going crazy over him changing the album title, some ppl losing total respect for nas. how stupid did u have to be to actuall believe def jam would let an album called NIGGER come out? I think Nas wanted to make a statement, same with HHID, its diff from a publicity stunt to sell records. A publicity stunt is the 50 vs. kanye thing, but he knew he wouldnt sell records with that title and def jam knew it too so they pulled it.

Since when do we judge an artist by thier album title? Wait for the cd to drop, then criticize him if its shit but until then chill... Nas is still one of the goats, this doesnt change nething

12weLvE
05-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't know if these have been posted before but check em' out

http://videos.onsmash.com/v/7mb1InKliUVXpuv1

http://videos.onsmash.com/v/rHfc4TkIf1XQR5w8

YEah video 1 was out...not two.

But he admited that shit...PUBLICITY... Stop trying to explain why you nameing it that, already know what the black man has gone throught...we did that in school WE KNOW!!! Let Obama take care of that Nas...stop preaching and drop some fire because I am not impressed by the recent tracks I ve heard.

Chief 'Broom
05-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Nas isn't stupid. If anything, he took a racist word that degraded black people for more than 50 years, turned it around and made money off of it. The slave and the master. He wins.

I agree though, let the music do the talking.

Animal Luff
05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Chief 'Broom, have u heard the N.I.G.G.E.R. track? It's really nice.

The album leaked three songs for now, I think - War is Necessary, Be A Nigga Too and N.I.G.G.E.R.

-The A to the Z-
05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
War Is Necessary is on the GTA IV Soundtrack, not necessarily (or tentatively) on the new album.

And for the topic, it's definitely for publicity, but not necessarily a Publicity 'Stunt'.
Obviously it's for Publicity, the point is to bring attention to the word in question and remove the stigma, which cannot be achieved on a widespread level without some kind of mainstream acknowledgement.

I'm confident that Nas is the best person in the industry to try to achieve his goal, but I ain't happy about the kind of low level suckas he's working with on this album......:(.

And I'm also disappointed that he changed the album name after so nearly getting there....but now it's up to the album itself to speak up, not that it's got its stage set.

TSA
05-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm not really singling you out. There's a lot of talk about Nas all the sudden and some people saying some ridiculous shit. I'd say it wasn't part of the plan that he would change the title at the end. Everyones too politically correct today and perhaps he realized that.
what everyone being to politically correct not the point of the god damn album?

NASISAFATASS.COM > Google

J-DON
05-21-2008, 06:50 PM
it was a publicity stunt right from the getgo and even if he released the album witht he title it would be a publicity stunt.

TheWolf
05-21-2008, 06:55 PM
An artist trying to get publicity for their album....whatever next??

Nas' problem is the vast majority of his recent music is doo-doo.

So people are going to get on his back when he pulls a gay move like this.

I would be very (pleasently) suprised if this album is good.

I'm sensing dumb-downed lyrics and boring beats.

Prove me wrong Nas, please.

11th Chamber
05-21-2008, 06:56 PM
It was a publicity stunt right from the beginning.

I swear I was one of the only people here saying that when everyone else was saying otherwise

If Nas cared about the effect of the word, and the 'hurt' it gives to African Americans, than he wouldent have an album named that where white people would jump right on the chance to say it and make matters even worse

TheWolf
05-21-2008, 07:00 PM
If he really wanted to be revolutionary, he would have said 'fuck the label' and gone elsewhere and released it with the original title.

Whatever the reasoning, I personally believe he was always going to change it, he LOST.

Nas has gone way down in my estimation over the years.

All started when he went fake mafioso. Thought he was more intelligent than that.

DEVAMPS
05-21-2008, 07:22 PM
If he really wanted to be revolutionary, he would have said 'fuck the label' and gone elsewhere and released it with the original title.

yup

Orion Nebulus
05-21-2008, 07:24 PM

Whatever the reasoning, I personally believe he was always going to change it, he LOST.

Nas has gone way down in my estimation over the years.

All started when he went fake mafioso. Thought he was more intelligent than that.

Co-Sign!!! I stopped listening to Nas years ago. The dude just hasn't dropped good music. He has all the potential in the world but just somehow fails. I say...forget all this bullshit stunt and just make some dope music damn it.

Chief 'Broom
05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
So much has happened since then. That's why I can't believe people go back to that old argument. He came out strong with Stillmatic, after everybody thought Jay-Z nailed his coffin. At the time people unanimously agreed that Nas was back. Now everybody is crying, yet he hasn't done anything near the level of Nastradamus or the Firm or whatever it was that offended you. Nas has been putting out good hip hop music again for the past seven years. It really doesn't matter though. You either like it or you don't. It's just when you get all emotional about it, your opinion becomes suspect.

TheWolf
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Co-Sign!!! I stopped listening to Nas years ago. The dude just hasn't dropped good music. He has all the potential in the world but just somehow fails. I say...forget all this bullshit stunt and just make some dope music damn it.

Yup.

A real waste of talent.

When you think of how good an MC he is, then check his dicography....SMH.

To me even his better albums have no real replay value. Obviously excluding Illmatic, Lost Tapes is the only album of his that gets any real play.

This is coming from someone who has bought all his albums, except HHID.

TheWolf
05-21-2008, 07:34 PM
So much has happened since then. That's why I can't believe people go back to that old argument. He came out strong with Stillmatic, after everybody thought Jay-Z nailed his coffin. At the time people unanimously agreed that Nas was back. Now everybody is crying, yet he hasn't done anything near the level of Nastradamus or the Firm or whatever it was that offended you. Nas has been putting out good hip hop music again for the past seven years. It really doesn't matter though. You either like it or you don't. It's just when you get all emotional about it, your opinion becomes suspect.

I respect your opinion.

And I'm certainly not getting emotional.

I just personally dont like much that he's done since Illmatic, and that album is the best performance by an MC I've ever heard on an album.

Just seems like a waste.

But all opinions.

Peace

Chief 'Broom
05-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I respect yours too. I just feel compelled to say something when people go a little overboard with it, which I noticed happening in the hip hop section in general - not you. All good.

Animal Luff
05-21-2008, 08:01 PM
TsTxWRsIX1A

This track is the proof that Nas can still rip it. I think this is last years or something like that.

TheWolf
05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Nas can still rip, and always has been able to.

With makes his albums even more dissapointing.

TSA
05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
yup. nas is a genuine sell out

11th Chamber
05-21-2008, 08:26 PM
TsTxWRsIX1A

This track is the proof that Nas can still rip it. I think this is last years or something like that.

no one is saying that he isnt still lyrically great, its just that he makes shit albums

KRS-ONE can still rock the mic, but im not about to buy some of his shit

Chief 'Broom
05-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Edgar Erebus
05-22-2008, 03:27 AM
:mmmyah:

I think it was a whole stunt to give his album hype... He fucking knew that he wasnt going to get away with that shit.

You know you have fallen off when you need publicity stunts to boost album sales.

Busta Rhymes cutting his dreads off.

50 Cent announcing he'd retire if 'Ye outsold him.

Nas naming his last two albums "controversially".

Assassinator
05-23-2008, 04:27 AM
i dont know why yall mad nas aint a dumb dude he knows what hes doing... dont know why so many of ya pussy boys cry over a title change anyway.

Edgar Erebus
05-23-2008, 04:35 AM
Well I don't know man, maybe it's because we have some old-fashioned ideas that we should forget in 21st century, right? Like honor.

j0equ1nn
06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
it almost doesn't even matter that he changed the name of the album because nobody seems to know what the new name is. all we get is that he called the album nigger and then backed off and changed it to something else, and i guess it hasn't even been released yet dispite that it's was done with the old name since february. i think it's a bit pussy to not follow through and find a way to release it. even if his distributers dropped him, people are already talking about it all over, it wouldn't be hard to find someone else to put it out. then he could've cashed in on all the hype AND proved that there really is a concept involved and a good reason for the name. now it's just like, "oh he was gonna make an album called that and then he didn't," and that's all you get. when it finally comes out now, it's just gonna be another album and i find that boring.

JRoll
06-13-2008, 11:42 PM
It was a publicity stunt. Hip Hop is Dead made a lot of controversy, and I think he's still trying to ride that wave by naming his album Nigger.

Soul_on_Ice
06-14-2008, 04:01 AM
The Nigger Tape is FUCKING INCREDIBLE

Nas haters need to grow the FUCK UP and get their heads out the sand