NAKHI the SOLORIAN
05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
nice List i like all them dudes

Rame
05-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah, it's alright.

Crackhead Bob
05-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I would bury Canibus' name somewhere in the middle so it doesn't stand out.

Suga Duga
05-27-2008, 02:12 PM
how do yall feel about this list:

(in no particular order)
Canibus
Pharoahe Monche
KRS-One
Guru
Big L
Rakim
Ghostface Killah
Del the Funky Homosapien
Q-Tip
Kool Keith
Redman
Jay-Z
Method Man
Ice Cube
Nas
MF Doom
Pousdanous
GZA
Big
Slick Rick
RZA
Killah Priest
Common
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Erick Sermon
AZ
Black Thought
Cormega
CL Smooth

those wouldn't be in any fav mc list of mine

ballistic
05-27-2008, 02:40 PM
I would bury Canibus' name somewhere in the middle so it doesn't stand out.

for real? if you take away all the decorated images and subtract all the glamour, i would say there aren't many MCs who can fuck with the MC called Canibus. in my opinion, he took MCing to a new peak. i built the list based on a criteria of originality and ingenuity of style. these are all MCs who each in their own right i feel brought something new and interesting to hip-hop...i know, for instance, that Big L & Canibus may not have the royal discographies of Rakim, Ghost, or Del, however, their approach to MCing is noteworthy enough to warrant inclusion. i thought Jay-Z would be yalls' first martyr, haha...

JerseyIronman
05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
no Notorious B.I.G.?

Crackhead Bob
05-27-2008, 03:14 PM
for real? if you take away all the decorated images and subtract all the glamour, i would say there aren't many MCs who can fuck with the MC called Canibus. in my opinion, he took MCing to a new peak. i built the list based on a criteria of originality and ingenuity of style. these are all MCs who each in their own right i feel brought something new and interesting to hip-hop...i know, for instance, that Big L & Canibus may not have the royal discographies of Rakim, Ghost, or Del, however, their approach to MCing is noteworthy enough to warrant inclusion. i thought Jay-Z would be yalls' first martyr, haha...

I've already had this discussion/argument before, Canibus says a whole lot of nothing in a corny far-fetched overblown way and sounds like a wrong-sounding muppet. That's all I have to say about that.

Bucellito 136
05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
no biggie smalls???
nas is my fav from your list

ballistic
05-27-2008, 03:59 PM
i have Biggie on there, he's "Big", beneath the GZA.

as far as Canibus goes, you can't dismiss an artist like him so easily. i'm a writer myself, and he's one of the few MCs whom i can appreciate from a purely writerly perspective. he took battle-rapping to a new echelon...battle-rapping is a style that calls for hyperbole, mythologizing, exaggeration, and verbosity, and Canibus infused the mode with an uncanny intellect, wit, and ambition-it wouldn't be a reach to say few have reached the heights of Canibus on the mic. i can see how he's too rigorous for some; you have to read books to really get all his references. but how can you wave him off after tracks like Poet Laureate, or Master Thesis, or Channel Zero? the guy is too much. what he does is very difficult, too: he fiercely packs everything he has into every line. Canibus is the Kevin Garnett of MCing. his compositions are spirited by an almost unearthly tension and imagination, and really, Canibus is all about imagination. that's the central device of battle-rap. but he speaks knowledge too, if you pay attention...i can't say how much admiration i have for this guy as a writer/performer.

JerseyIronman
05-27-2008, 04:15 PM
i have Biggie on there, he's "Big", beneath the GZA.

O ya i see...

good list

ballistic
05-27-2008, 05:42 PM
what are other peoples top 5/10? i know this is been done numberless times but now that i have a stronger base in hip-hop than i did a couple years ago i'd like to see others' lists.

Sgt Holly Wood
05-27-2008, 05:45 PM
not a bad list..

most rappers are dope, only one i wouldnt include is del the funky homo.. that dude sucks imo

Sgt Holly Wood
05-27-2008, 06:04 PM
what are other peoples top 5/10? i know this is been done numberless times but now that i have a stronger base in hip-hop than i did a couple years ago i'd like to see others' lists.
here's mine

nas
ghostface
raekwon
kool g rap
sticky fingaz
rakim
redman
mos def
big l
az

Crackhead Bob
05-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Andre 3000
Big Boi
Del tha funkee homosapien
Biggie
Nas
Gza
Rza
Inspectah deck
Ghostface Killah
Method Man
Eminem
Copywrite
Juju
Rakim
CL Smooth
Guru
Jeru tha Damaja
Lloyd Banks
Juvenile
Lil Wayne
Prodigy
Noreaga
Sonny Chiba
Geechy Suede
Rock from Heltah Skeltah
Pharoahe Monche
KRS-One
Slick Rick
Mos Def
Jay-z

thats 30 off the rip

TheWolf
05-27-2008, 06:22 PM
My top ten (my favourites, not who I believe is technically the 'best')

I also know some of these have fallen off (I'm looking at you Prodigy) or are inconsistent (I'm looking at you Mr. Xcitement)

But when they're on form this is who I like listening to the most........

Gza
Nas
Masta Killa
Big Daddy Kane
Kool G Rap
Prodigy
Mos Def
MF Doom
U-God
Holocaust

Crackhead Bob
05-27-2008, 06:29 PM
My top ten (my favourites, not who I believe is technically the 'best')

I also know some of these have fallen off (I'm looking at you Prodigy) or are inconsistent (I'm looking at you Mr. Xcitement)

But when they're on form this is who I like listening to the most........

Gza
Nas
Masta Killa
Big Daddy Kane
Kool G Rap
Prodigy
Mos Def
MF Doom
U-God
Holocaust

I like when someone sets the standards for greatness so low, to each his own I guess.

OTB
05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
nice list ballistic-

off the top, herez who i'm feelin>

krs-one
killah priest
rza
gza
chuck d
holocaust
nas
DOOM
mef
immortal technique
jeru
hell razah
raekwon
kool g rap
ghost
guru
big L
8 ball
prodigy
masta killa
mos def
shyheim
boot camp
killarmy
heiroglyphics
old snoop
old outkast
pac
odb
big
etc-

TheWolf
05-27-2008, 06:33 PM
I like when someone sets the standards for greatness so low, to each his own I guess.

Yeah not the greatest, but great when they're on form.

It's like Uey, if you look at all his work, he's one of the worst in the clan.
But, I would rather hear a dope verse from him (which there are a lot of) than any other member.

KLIION JENSEN
05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
in no particular order...

Krs One
Big Daddy kane
Rakim
Chuck D
Ice T
MC Lyte
Roxanne Shante
LL Cool J
DMC
Queen Latifah
Ice Cube
B Real
Buckshot
Masta Ace
Biggie
Rza
Shyhiem
Da Brat
Jay Z
Nas
AZ
Scarface
Big Pun
Big L
Lord Finesse
Ghostface
Matlock
Doyen D
Smif N Wessun
Slick Rick

ballistic
05-27-2008, 06:41 PM
camp lo, hell yeah...i thought about prodigy, he could've easily made the list from his 90's catologue. i forgot about jeru...chubb rock is another guy that should get more love too.

Crackhead Bob
05-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Yeah not the greatest, but great when they're on form.

It's like Uey, if you look at all his work, he's one of the worst in the clan.
But, I would rather hear a dope verse from him (which there are a lot of) than any other member.

I definitely feel that, he set the standard so high on his mystery of cheesboxin' verse he could never reach that level of intensity or greatness again so he's always been a bit of a let down to me, his work on 8D and Big Doe however has been incredible.

Crackhead Bob
05-27-2008, 06:43 PM
camp lo, hell yeah...i thought about prodigy, he could've easily made the list from his 90's catologue. i forgot about jeru...chubb rock is another guy that should get more love too.

you pretty much ignored the south altogether.

Guarded By Martyrs
05-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah nice list ballistic...

I'll give this a go
In no particular order...

Holocaust
Killah Priest
The RZA
Raekwon
Masta Killa
Inspectah Deck
Prodigal Sunn
Killa Sin
B-Real
Eminem
Canibus
Vinnie Paz
Jus Allah
Virtuoso
Crypt The Warchild
King Syze
Goretex
Sabac Red
Immortal Technique
Pumpkinhead
Ras Kass
Vakill
Big Pun
Styles P
Tragedy Khadafi
DMX
Beanie Sigel
Shabaam Sahdeeq
R.A. The Rugged Man
Sick Jacken

Noodles
05-27-2008, 07:15 PM
top 10 in no particular order

black thought
az
inspectah deck
sean price
ghostface
method man
nas
redman
killa sin (could have been one of the greats if he had more material)
gza

Orion Nebulus
05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Damn I will have to think about top 30....but here are a couple for starters...

Holocaust
Killah Priest
Gza
Immortal Technique
Shing02
Rza
Canabus
MF Doom

Maccabee Ridah
05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Let's roll......

RZA
GZA
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Ghostface Killah
Method Man
Raekwon
U-God
Inspectah Deck
Masta Killa
__________________________________________________ ________
KRS-One
Artifacts - I just must write them, u count them as one MC..:D
B Real
Zach De La Rocha
Slick Rick
Killah Priest
Kool G Rap
Jus Allah
Killa Sin
Ras Kass
Styles P
Prodigal Sunn
Queen Latifah
Das EFX
Eric Sermon
Nas
AZ
Rakim
Redman
Masta Ace

ballistic
05-28-2008, 01:11 AM
you pretty much ignored the south altogether.

yeah man, not many southern acts have grabbed me. andre 3000 actually should be on my list, but he's the only southern mc i would've put on there. scarface and devin the dude are dope, ludacris is always refreshing, and i cant listen to little brother enough, but they aren't cracking my top 30. it's funny because i'm originally from south carolina, so i have no lack of familiarity with the scene down there...

by the way rock, i'm interested in hearing you explain how to you lil wayne and lloyd banks are more worthy of such a list than the likes of mf doom, u-god, q-tip and canibus, though towards the latter i suppose you've already voiced your disagreements; besides him, what is it about the others that pales in comparison to wayne & banks?

ballistic
05-28-2008, 01:13 AM
makaveli i'm right with you on the artifacts! lots of dope lists, keep them coming...

Ritter
05-28-2008, 01:27 AM
I'ma throw one:

Rakim
GZA
Killah Priest
Warcloud
Guru
RZA
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Wordsworth
Masta Ace
Vinnie Paz
R.A. The Rugged Man
Afu-Ra
Jeru the Damaja
Common
Method Man
Edo G
Inspectah Deck
Redman
Eminem
Immortal Technique
Nas
Shurik'n
Big Boi
Andre 3000
Black Thought
Big Daddy Kane
Ghostface Killah
Raekwon
Phife Diggy (of A Tribe Called Quest)

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
05-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Nas
Rakim
Canibus
GZA
KRS-One
Big Daddy Kane
Q-Tip
Ghostface Killah
Ice Cube
Black Thought of The Roots
Talib Kweli
EL-P
Ras Kass
Method Man
The Last Emperor
Phonte of Little Brother
Joell Ortiz
Joe Buddens
Sean Price
Redman
Jeru The Damaja
Guru of Gangstarr
Mos Def
Raekwon
Andre 3000
Killah Priest
Busta Rhymes
R.A. The Rugged Man
Common
The LOX

Crackhead Bob
05-28-2008, 03:50 AM
yeah man, not many southern acts have grabbed me. andre 3000 actually should be on my list, but he's the only southern mc i would've put on there. scarface and devin the dude are dope, ludacris is always refreshing, and i cant listen to little brother enough, but they aren't cracking my top 30. it's funny because i'm originally from south carolina, so i have no lack of familiarity with the scene down there...

by the way rock, i'm interested in hearing you explain how to you lil wayne and lloyd banks are more worthy of such a list than the likes of mf doom, u-god, q-tip and canibus, though towards the latter i suppose you've already voiced your disagreements; besides him, what is it about the others that pales in comparison to wayne & banks?

I mean its a story of to each his own i guess, I put Banks up there mostly for his early mixtape work which was incredible and Wayne has always been consistent thruout, but especially on Cash Money albums and guest appearances, whereas U-god has never been consistent at all, Q-Tip doesn't have an extensive enough solo collection and DOOM is quite simply a cartoon character whose lyrical style somewhat mimics that of Holocaust, whom I hate with a passion. You could argue all day about it and still be right back where we started.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-28-2008, 03:55 AM

dont bother with it.

ive already had a discussion with b rock about canibus, and proved that he didnt have a logical reason for taking exception to canibus' lyrics.

or applying different standards to his music than others.

i wouldnt bother if i was you.

decent list though.

Crackhead Bob
05-28-2008, 04:17 AM
dont bother with it.

ive already had a discussion with b rock about canibus, and proved that he didnt have a logical reason for taking exception to canibus' lyrics.

Oh here we go, Bateman to the rescue, you're my e-hero. I explained myself clearly and succinctly and you felt the need to try and throw a bunch of soft-pitch bullshit excuses at my logic, the truth is it wouldn't matter what I said, would it? This is because you are not an impartial observer, you are a FAN. Don't you dare try and pull that old high and mighty bullshit with me, your opinion holds no more or less credence than mine does, you just like to think of yourself as right all the time no matter what. I apologize if I insulted your favorite rapper, can we end this bullshit now?

Durag
05-28-2008, 04:21 AM
Have to say, Canibus is one of my favourite rappers, i think some of his work is amazing, but hes not partial to critiscm, and while BeautifulRock maybe borders on hate, he brought up a few good points about his lyrics.

Crackhead Bob
05-28-2008, 04:27 AM
while BeautifulRock maybe borders on hate, he brought up a few good points about his lyrics.

No I didn't, didn't you hear what Patrick said?

Sinistarr
05-28-2008, 04:30 AM
In No Particular Order

Eminem
Proof
Method Man
Inspectah Deck
Ol' Dirty Bastard
GZA
Big Pun
Big L
KRS-One
Nas
Ghostface Killah
RZA
Raekwon
U-God
Masta Killa
Street Life
Cappadonna
Chali 2na
MC Soup
Mark 7even
Xzibit
Ras Kass
Killah Priest
Vinnie Paz
Crypt the Warchild
Planetary
Kuniva
Swifty McVay
Redman
Obie Trice

Durag
05-28-2008, 04:32 AM
Yeah nice list ballistic...

I'll give this a go
In no particular order...

Holocaust
Killah Priest
The RZA
Raekwon
Masta Killa
Inspectah Deck
Prodigal Sunn
Killa Sin
B-Real
Eminem
Canibus
Vinnie Paz
Jus Allah
Virtuoso
Crypt The Warchild
King Syze
Goretex
Sabac Red
Immortal Technique
Pumpkinhead
Ras Kass
Vakill
Big Pun
Styles P
Tragedy Khadafi
DMX
Beanie Sigel
Shabaam Sahdeeq
R.A. The Rugged Man
Sick Jacken

Nice list Whers, nice to see someone with a different taste here! No love for any old school? Surprised to see no Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G, Chuck D, KRS etc

2Bladez
05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
These are definitely in my top 20
1. Rakim
2. Nas
3. Ghostface
4. Ice Cube
5. Kool G Rap

IN NO ORDER
Pharoahe Monch
Big Daddy Kane
Common
Black Thought
Masta Ace
Redman
Scarface
Eminem
Talib Kweli
Gza
Lauryn Hill
Prodigy
Jay-Z
Sean Price

ballistic
05-28-2008, 11:54 AM
I mean its a story of to each his own i guess, I put Banks up there mostly for his early mixtape work which was incredible and Wayne has always been consistent thruout, but especially on Cash Money albums and guest appearances, whereas U-god has never been consistent at all, Q-Tip doesn't have an extensive enough solo collection and DOOM is quite simply a cartoon character whose lyrical style somewhat mimics that of Holocaust, whom I hate with a passion. You could argue all day about it and still be right back where we started.

haha yeah thats chill...it is all about taste at the end of the day.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-31-2008, 06:44 AM
Oh here we go, Bateman to the rescue, you're my e-hero. I explained myself clearly and succinctly and you felt the need to try and throw a bunch of soft-pitch bullshit excuses at my logic, the truth is it wouldn't matter what I said, would it? This is because you are not an impartial observer, you are a FAN. Don't you dare try and pull that old high and mighty bullshit with me, your opinion holds no more or less credence than mine does, you just like to think of yourself as right all the time no matter what. I apologize if I insulted your favorite rapper, can we end this bullshit now?

that would be all well and good if that was actually what the discussion consisted of.

it isnt.

so i will stay high and mighty for the while.

Regards,

Pat Bateman.

Crackhead Bob
05-31-2008, 07:45 AM
All I wanna do is *pop* *pop* *pop* *pop* and *clack* *cha-ching* and take ya money

Longbongcilvaringz
05-31-2008, 07:56 AM
isnt there meant to be a "bang bang" in there?

Guarded By Martyrs
05-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Nice list Whers, nice to see someone with a different taste here! No love for any old school? Surprised to see no Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G, Chuck D, KRS etc

Yeah thanks Durag...I know I have a different taste and I like it.

But yeah...as for "Old School"

I would probabally say KRS-ONE, Chuck-D, Kool-G-Rap...

But the question is... : your 30 "favourite" Emcees :
I like those three guys I put up.Could have made it on my list...
But from my own "personal" taste..these are my dudes you see in the long list.
Granted the guys you mentioned are very dope and ambassadors of Hip-Hop.
I rate them...I just don't "feel" them like the guys on my list.

And Durag...where's your list ???

PEACE

thamainfacta
05-31-2008, 09:49 PM
mine isnt top mc's, but top hip hop acts.

i made this list a while ago.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/thamainfactor/50_greatest_hip_hop_acts_of_all_time

JRoll
05-31-2008, 11:50 PM
Fresh Prince
Big Boi
Dre
U-God
Deck
Mef
GZA
Guru
Sticky Fingaz
Ice Cube