PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC? or MIRACLES?

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
06-12-2008, 09:44 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2149/2282043922_f767ab4f75.jpg?v=0

One of the most unrelentingly bizarre things that pops up from time to time is this "Batman doesn't believe in magic" thing. I see why the writers choose to leave the issue clouded, but it does make fans grumble needlessly (then again, what doesn't?).

His answer to Zatanna is telling, considering that he just rejected a magical offer of what would have been (presumably) perfect happiness, secluded from the horrible horrible world. What Batman doesn't believe in is an instant solution to complicated problems. Of course he fucking knows magic is real -- hi, Zatanna right there, Phantom Stranger earlier on, Deadman, Jason Blood, the Spectre, Shadowpact, etc. etc. -- and his teeth-gritting insistence that it can be understood with study is somewhat true, as well as yes, his OCD rational way of dealing with this lunacy.

He and John Constantine would find a lot to agree on about magic, actually -- that a lot of it is bullshit, just as Batman is about intimidation, superstition, fear. And in the real consequences of those kinds of steel-nerved fakeouts, there is a certain truth and a subversion of reality, that belief (hi, Doctor Thirteen!) can *change* what is. Magic is only the shortcut, and one that often has crippling prices to pay (Zatanna is absolutely correct to blow him off, though that was probably what he more or less intended: magic is her *life*, and he's dismissing her from his), whereas Bruce has opted to take the longer, (arguably) harder route -- the one where he doesn't get a break, and he doesn't allow himself to be seen as a person who needs one, even to his closest friends.

something i saw on the net and thought i'd share