PDA

View Full Version : Scientists confirm life on Earth likely came from outer space

Oztradamus
06-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Quote:
PARIS (AFP) - Genetic material from outer space found in a meteorite in Australia may well have played a key role in the origin of life on Earth, according to a study to be published Sunday.

European and US scientists have proved for the first time that two bits of genetic coding, called nucleobases, contained in the meteor fragment, are truly extraterrestrial.

Previous studies had suggested that the space rocks, which hit Earth some 40 years ago, might have been contaminated upon impact.

Both of the molecules identified, uracil and xanthine, "are present in our DNA and RNA," said lead author Zita Martins, a researcher at Imperial College London.

RNA, or ribonucleic acid, is another key part of the genetic coding that makes up our bodies.

These molecules would also have been essential to the still-mysterious alchemy that somehow gave rise, some four billion years ago, to life itself.

"We know that meteorites very similar to the Murchison meteorite, which is the one we analysed, were delivering the building blocks of life to Earth 3.8 to 4.5 billion years ago," Martins told AFP in an interview.

Competing theories suggest that nucleobases were synthesised closer to home, but Martins counters that the atmospheric conditions of early Earth would have rendered that process difficult or impossible.

A team of European and US scientists showed that the two types of molecules in the Australian meteorite contained a heavy form of carbon -- carbon 13 -- which could only have been formed in space.

"We believe early life may have adopted nucleobases from meteoric fragments for use in genetic coding, enabling them to pass on their successful features to subsequent generations," Martins said.

If so, this would have been the start of an evolutionary process leading over billions of years to all the flora and fauna -- including human beings -- in existence today.

The study, published in Earth Planetary Science Letters, also has implications for life on other planets.

"Because meteorities represent leftover materials from the formation of the solar system, the key components of life -- including nucleobases -- could be widespread in the cosmos," said co-author Mark Sephton, also at Imperial College London.

"As more and more of life's raw materials are discovered in objects from space, the possibility of life springing forth wherever the right chemistry is present becomes more likely," he said.

Uracil is an organic compound found in RNA, where it binds in a genetic base pair with another molecule, adenine.

Xanthine is not directly part of RNA or DNA, but participates in a series of chemical reactions inside the RNA of cells.

The two types of nucleobases and the ratio of light-to-heavy carbon molecules were identified through gas chromatography and mass spectrometry, technologies that were not available during earlier analyses of the now-famous meteorite.

Even so, said Martins, the process was extremely laborious and time-consuming, one reason it had not be carried out up to now by other scientists.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080613/sc_afp/spacesciencebiochemistrybiology_080613180404

Olive Oil Goombah
06-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Of course we came from outer space. It had to start somewhere.

dezmond
06-14-2008, 11:17 AM
If its confirmed by scientists it must be truth...................

Olive Oil Goombah
06-14-2008, 11:43 AM
If its confirmed by the Quran it must be truth.................

someguy
06-14-2008, 01:10 PM
no one really "knows" until the truth presents itself, all we can do is collect the knowledge and hold on to it till the time comes, the main thing to me is to be prepared period, when the truth comes, are you prepared to deal with it.

Maccabee Ridah
06-14-2008, 01:28 PM
^^ Haha, how the hell r u thinkin truth is goin to present itself...???!!!

STYLE
06-14-2008, 02:00 PM
confirmed that it LIKELY came from space.
what does that mean?

likely=maybe

but like killah priest said "the earth is already in space"

Marlo Stanfield
06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
wow killah priest is so smart

Mic Tyson
06-14-2008, 03:13 PM

ROFL

LORD NOSE
06-14-2008, 03:52 PM
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46980&highlight=Help+me+with+this+-my+4th+attempt

STYLE
06-14-2008, 04:04 PM

give credit where its due.

i knew sunny popped a woody when he saw this. lol

yeah yeah yeah, comets and sperm.... comets and sperm......

Olive Oil Goombah
06-14-2008, 06:41 PM
WHy should you die to go to heaven? The earth is already in space, the bible i embrace, a difficult task i had to face.

We are woven into the fabric of the universe already. As much as we need our protective magnetic field and ozone layer and atmosphere and our oxygen, those things would not exist without everything that surrounds it.

Its really not that philosophical or spiritual. It just is the way it is.

-The A to the Z-
06-14-2008, 07:02 PM
So.....the Earth welcomed us with open arms (albeit with some resistance in the form of a primative defensive atmosphere), and let's us 'lounge' on it's surface after our excrutiating journey for refuge throughout Space.......and we proceed to funk it up over the course of a few million years?

You are not nice organisms.

STYLE
06-14-2008, 08:46 PM
So.....the Earth welcomed us with open arms (albeit with some resistance in the form of a primative defensive atmosphere), and let's us 'lounge' on it's surface after our excrutiating journey for refuge throughout Space.......and we proceed to funk it up over the course of a few million years?

You are not nice organisms.

TboJUxTIaC4

Prolifical ENG
06-14-2008, 09:02 PM
confirmed that it LIKELY came from space.
what does that mean?

likely=maybe

Yup, media headers at its finest.

Urban_Journalz
06-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I think that this only proves that there are other objests in the Universe that have the same genetic make-up as we do. Therefore, there are other beings with a similar make-up as well.

It ties in with the basic principles of chi gathering from the elements. If the human body is made up of everything in the Universe, then taking energy from wherever you can imagine shouldn't seem so far-fetched.

This isn't so outlandish and these "scientists" are quite late. But then, in a profession where nothing is believed until it's touched, smelled and tasted, this isn't surprising either.

STYLE
06-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Profound. Cosign. i find it funny that string theory req. 11 dimensions and vibrating strings that may never be found. But yet mind over matter is comic book fare.

Treazon
06-15-2008, 11:22 PM
the idea of exogenesis (Earth-born life being life transferred from another place in the universe) is really interesting to me, and its cool to read that the scientific fat cats are seriously looking into it.

what i like about it is the fact that, due to the law of averages, if genetic material from a comet planted itself on Earth, then at some point in the past couple billion years, it had to have happened on thousands if not millions of other planets environmentally set to host life. Im such a believer in alien life its not even a debate in my head anymore, and if exogenesis becomes a viable theory for life on Earth, then i think its clear that there most definitely is other sentient life out there, maybe even close to us.

it all just seems to come together, the universe is basically composed of debris and energy floating around, governed by laws... its an accepted idea that substances like rocks and stuff can fly through space and hit a planet and become part of that planet's terrain, so doesnt it make sense that primitive forms of life can also be transferred to-and-fro?

LORD NOSE
06-16-2008, 05:40 AM
This isn't so outlandish and these "scientists" are quite late. But then, in a profession where nothing is believed until it's touched, smelled and tasted, this isn't surprising either.

yup - you can always guess or believe with all your heart that its true before its found as fact

Urban_Journalz
06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
it all just seems to come together, the universe is basically composed of debris and energy floating around, governed by laws... its an accepted idea that substances like rocks and stuff can fly through space and hit a planet and become part of that planet's terrain, so doesnt it make sense that primitive forms of life can also be transferred to-and-fro?

Perfect sense.

dezmond
06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
So wheres god in all this?

Urban_Journalz
06-17-2008, 06:24 PM
^^Everywhere.