PDA

View Full Version : Student vs. Professor

Cee Oh Vee
06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
An atheist professor of philosophy speaks to his class on the problem science has with God, The Almighty. He asks one of his new students to stand.

Prof: So you believe in God?

Student: Absolutely, sir.

Prof: Is God good?

Student: Sure.

Prof: Is God all-powerful?

Student: Yes.

Prof: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to God to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But God didn't.

How is this God good then? Hmm?

(Student is silent.)

Prof: You can't answer, can you? Let's start again, young fellow. Is God good?

Prof: Is Satan good?

Student: No.

Prof: Where does Satan come from?

Student: From...God...

Prof: That's right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Prof: Evil is everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything. Correct?

Prof: So who created evil?

Student: does not answer.

Prof: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don't they?

Student: Yes, sir.

Prof: So, who created them?

Student: has no answer.

Prof: Science says you have 5 senses you use to identify and observe the world around you Tell me, son...Have you ever seen God?

Student: No, sir.

Prof: Tell us if you have ever heard your God?

Prof: Have you ever felt your God, tasted your God, smelt your God? Have you ever had any sensory perception of God for that matter?

Student: No, sir. I'm afraid I haven't.

Prof: Yet you still believe in Him?

Prof: According to empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your GOD doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?

Student: Nothing. I only have my faith.

Prof: Yes. Faith. And that is the problem science has.

Student: Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Prof: Yes.

Student: And is there such a thing as cold?

Student: No sir. There isn't.

(The lecture theater becomes very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student: Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat.

But we don't have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that.

There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat.

We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.

(There is pin-drop silence in the lecture theatre.)

Student: What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Prof: Yes. What is night if there isn't darkness?

Student: You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light....But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? In reality, darkness isn't. If it were you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?

Prof: So what is the point you are making, young man?

Student: Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.

Prof: Flawed? Can you explain how?

Student: Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good God and a bad God.

You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure.

Sir, science can't even explain a thought.

It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one.

To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing.

Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Prof: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student: Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shakes his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument is going.)

Student: Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution
at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going
endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher? (The class is in uproar.)

Student: Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor's brain? (The class breaks out into laughter.)

Student: Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor's brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so.

So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain,
sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?

(The room is silent. The proessor stares at the student, his
face unfathomable.)

Prof: I guess you'll have to take them on faith, son.

Student: That is it sir... The link between man & god is FAITH.

That is all that keeps things moving & alive.

-

Interesting.

PEACE.

LORD NOSE
06-27-2008, 02:28 PM
a play on words and the misunderstanding of them

the english language is a bastard language causing all forms of chaos

"when you turn off the lights you have darkness"

"no no no, you're wrong,darkness occurs when there is nothing there"

"the girl wasn't sick, she just didn't feel well"

multi meaning words shift ones understanding from the intent and point of the giver of them -

the so called correct way to use words vs. the way the majority uses words to communicate with itself

chaos -

LORD NOSE
06-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Student: Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat.

But we don't have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that.

There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat.

Student: Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Student: And is there such a thing as cold?

Student: No sir. There isn't.

but when there is snow on the ground,and the wind is blowing hard in the dead of winter, you can feel cold - physically - heat is also something you feel - physically - what is the difference between energy and heat ?
when the sun is shining bright in the late afternoon on a hot summer day, you feel heat - what causes you to feel god ?

We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.

how is heat energy and cold not be some form of energy ?

(There is pin-drop silence in the lecture theatre.)

because 85% of the population is dumb deaf and blind

Student: What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Prof: Yes. What is night if there isn't darkness?

Student: You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light....But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? In reality, darkness isn't. If it were you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?

a play on words - darkness is what rick james called the murphy brothers -

Prof: So what is the point you are making, young man?

he felt stupid because he couldn't answer the simple questions the professor asked him and now he wants to retaliate by making the professor feel stupid by playing on the meaning of words

You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure.

Sir, science can't even explain a thought.

It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one.

what one can't understand or explain shouldn't be taken as absolute truth or fact - and thats the problem with religious fanatics when their faith becomes to them fact and absolute in the face of opposite views

Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

no scientist or atheist should ever state that humans coming from monkeys is fact - it should be looked at as a possibility

Prof: I guess you'll have to take them on faith, son.

Student: That is it sir... The link between man & god is FAITH.

-

Interesting.

PEACE.

its ok to have faith and believe in things you can't explain - but to kill another over belief.....the fear of what you believe causes you to do harm to those who don't believe - if you believe that your god will punish and murder those who don't believe what you believe, how do you treat these non believers ?

one person believes
another person doesn't believe

no one knows

well..... someone knows - but who ?

depending on ancient scriptures that you can't understand for your place in this world is foolish - how does your misinterpretation of these scriptures cause you to treat people ?

WARPATH
06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
]but when there is snow on the ground,and the wind is blowing hard in the dead of winter, you can feel cold - physically - heat is also something you feel - physically - what is the difference between energy and heat ?
when the sun is shining bright in the late afternoon on a hot summer day, you feel heat - what causes you to feel god ?The cold is default. The heat is what causes you to feel god.

how is heat energy and cold not be some form of energy ?
Because cold is the absence of heat energy.

he felt stupid because he couldn't answer the simple questions the professor asked him and now he wants to retaliate by making the professor feel stupid by playing on the meaning of wordsHe/She showed the flaws in the professors mentality and compared them to those of a preacher. His/Her execution was on point.

what one can't understand or explain shouldn't be taken as absolute truth or fact - and thats the problem with religious fanatics when their faith becomes to them fact and absolute in the face of opposite viewsThe same could be said about scientists.

its ok to have faith and believe in things you can't explain - but to kill another over belief.....the fear of what you believe causes you to do harm to those who don't believe - if you believe that your god will punish and murder those who don't believe what you believe, how do you treat these non believers ?

one person believes
another person doesn't believe

no one knows

well..... someone knows - but who ?

I know but nobody listens.

depending on ancient scriptures that you can't understand for your place in this world is foolish - how does your misinterpretation of these scriptures cause you to treat people ?I don't read scriptures so, this isn't an issue for me.

LORD NOSE
06-27-2008, 05:14 PM
The cold is default. The heat is what causes you to feel god.

so when its hot outside and you are sweating, what you are feeling is god ?

did the jewish holocaust victims feel god when they were being thrown into ovens ?

Because cold is the absence of heat energy.

correction - cold energy is the absence of heat energy

He/She showed the flaws in the professors mentality and compared them to those of a preacher. His/Her execution was on point.

he created an illusion of flaw when he attempted to cover up his own

WARPATH
06-27-2008, 05:21 PM
sweating, what you are feeling is god ?

did the jewish holocaust victims feel god when they were being thrown into ovens ?

No, they were just feeling the absence of God.

There's a difference between staying warm by the fire and lighting someone on fire.

he created an illusion of flaw when he attempted to cover up his own

He showed hypocrisies in the professors argument.

LORD NOSE
06-27-2008, 05:39 PM

There's a difference between staying warm by the fire and lighting someone on fire.

Ok

Originally Posted by Slippy The Pimp http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1220377#post1220377)

He showed hypocrisies in the professors argument.

Ok

what was his motive for doing so ?

Koolish
06-28-2008, 02:23 AM
"Prof: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to God to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But God didn't.

How is this God good then? Hmm?"

God cannot grant you what you do not have faith in. just because a man prays does not mean he fully believes in what he's praying in.

"Why won't God just fix things without me doing anything?"

because then you are rejecting the relationship you are to share with Him.

and why is there evil in the world? well mainly because man got himself kicked out of the garden of eden.

LORD NOSE
06-28-2008, 02:52 AM
God cannot grant you what you do not have faith in. just because a man prays does not mean he fully believes in what he's praying in.

so what about a child ?

"Why won't God just fix things without me doing anything?"

because then you are rejecting the relationship you are to share with Him.

what about those who don't reject that relationship ?
don't they suffer also ?

and why is there evil in the world? well mainly because man got himself kicked out of the garden of eden.

what about all those people who were already outside of the garden ?

V4D3R
06-28-2008, 03:04 AM
HAHAHAHA your fuckin funny.
Yo - flip-flopper.

Get your mind right please.

Temporary insanity is allowed....but you are on the crazy train.

And real men speak the truth - fearlessly. Get it right.

Cee Oh Vee
06-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Who are you talking to, sir? ^

Os3y3ris
06-28-2008, 06:53 AM
The problem is that sight is not the only valid method of observation and measurement. Never mind that we CAN see electricity. God is 100% immeasurable. The professors brain can be seen harmlessly if push comes to shove and most likely HAS been seen over the course of his life. As far as evolution goes, while macroevolution can't be seen, microevolution most certainly can be.

V4D3R
06-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Who are you talking to, sir? ^
Not you.

TSA
06-28-2008, 11:15 AM
sunny winters quotes the shit out of the bible, then dedicates life to proving it's bullshit

UPS fired him

LORD NOSE
06-28-2008, 12:05 PM
The problem is that sight is not the only valid method of observation and measurement. Never mind that we CAN see electricity. God is 100% immeasurable. The professors brain can be seen harmlessly if push comes to shove and most likely HAS been seen over the course of his life. As far as evolution goes, while macroevolution can't be seen, microevolution most certainly can be.

if God is unmeasurable, how do you know for sure he exist ?

besides scriptures and movie scripts, what tells you of his existence ?

LORD NOSE
06-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Prof: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to God to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But God didn't.

How is this God good then? Hmm?

(Student is silent.)

he prayed to god but doesn't understand the power of god - nature must take its course - how did your brother treat his self ? did he smoke ?
you can't sit in the middle of oncoming traffic and expect god to prevent you from getting hit

Prof: Where does Satan come from?

Student: From...God...

Prof: That's right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Prof: Evil is everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything. Correct?

Prof: So who created evil?

Student: does not answer.

again he doesn't understand the power or nature of god and expects a different result than what he is given - the devil had a hand in "the making of man" - just like a child may have some traits of his mother and other traits like his father, so is man - the misunderstanding of who and what god is is the problem here

Prof: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don't they?

Student: Yes, sir.

Prof: So, who created them?

Student: has no answer.

no one creates these things - again, there is a misunderstanding of gods power and purpose

Prof: Science says you have 5 senses you use to identify and observe the world around you Tell me, son...Have you ever seen God?

Prof: Tell us if you have ever heard your God?

Prof: Have you ever felt your God, tasted your God, smelt your God? Have you ever had any sensory perception of God for that matter?

Student: No, sir. I'm afraid I haven't.

Prof: Yet you still believe in Him?

Prof: According to empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your GOD doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?

science is looking for the wrong god, they are looking for a god using the description that idiots who never really thought about what god is or isn't give them - the professor and student are both idiots

WARPATH
06-28-2008, 03:21 PM
when the sun is shining bright in the late afternoon on a hot summer day, you feel heat - what causes you to feel god ?

so when its hot outside and you are sweating, what you are feeling is god ?

There's a difference between a man made heat, and a God made heat.

It's like any tool.

what was his motive for doing so ?

To look like a smart ass in front of his class.

STYLE
06-28-2008, 03:56 PM
versatility is the beauty of the English language. bastardized means it has been cut off from its roots....no each word can be traced.

just like sometimes you feel dumb when i son you, you are actually just feeling an absence of smarts.

Koolish
06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
so what about a child ?

what about a child? obviously if they pray with faith then it will work for them. in the example given the professor talked about a man, i guess i did the same without thinking too much about it.

what about those who don't reject that relationship ?
don't they suffer also ?

yes, life is full of suffering in varying degrees, evil exists in the world and so does uncertainty, we walk our own paths of fate. however no man is ever without sin, and so if you wondered why they still suffer while accepting the relationship, it is because man can not find himself in righteousness, he can only strive for it. do you know anyone who loves everyone unconditionally no matter the situation? suffering is said to end in the Kingdom of Heaven.

what about all those people who were already outside of the garden ?

basically, people are like "If God existed the world would be perfect" well it was in the Garden of Eden. man screwed up and thus changed the rest of his history. i don't subscribe to the belief that anyone else was around but adam and eve.

Prolifical ENG
06-28-2008, 04:02 PM
I thought this same thing was posted a few months ago...forgot who posted it...too bad most cant see the real fallacies

Edgar Erebus
06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Read the original post and I see that professor's thinking is too amateurish to be trusted. A very weak professor indeed.

STYLE
06-28-2008, 06:39 PM
prayer is mental preparation for action.

praying to be healed can work if faith is strong. (see placebo effect)

thought manifests reality.

misery loves company

joanie loves chachi

TSA
06-28-2008, 06:45 PM
this shit is so horribly flawed that idk where to start

i've never seen smelt touched or tasted a supernova, but it exist, or time, i've never seen smelt touched or tasted that either, also he uses the Judeo Christian point of view in question god. If he were to have used literally anyone else and asked "what created evil" they will say god, cause thats the only context in the world that god is a do gooder superhero

STYLE
06-28-2008, 07:39 PM
time does not exist.
what is time?
time is an illusion created by movement.
think about it.....
how do you detect time?

i don't understand the last part you typed. clarify yosef nigguh!

TSA
06-28-2008, 08:16 PM
my last part was basically saying that the line of questioning god is flawed because i tried to use god doing 'bad things' as a moment of troof.

in judeo christian religions god won't do 'bad things', but does, and every other religion in the world god does what he does cause he's god god damn it. God made dirty god bust yo ass bascially, and it's not up to us to judge if it was a good thing or not, like 'creating evil' 'giving his brother cancer' and so forth.

*take 40 ounce and washes it down his esophigarus.*

STYLE
06-28-2008, 08:26 PM
yup yup.

Cthulhu
06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
People who don't understand theosophy, science, atheism, or linguistics shouldn't post retarded internet glurges full of poorly rendered parodies and amateurish, feel-good philosophy.

Os3y3ris
06-29-2008, 11:33 AM
f God is unmeasurable, how do you know for sure he exist ?

besides scriptures and movie scripts, what tells you of his existence ?

Nothing, which is my point.

TSA
06-29-2008, 12:05 PM
thougth is unmeasurable, how are you sure it exists

STYLE
06-29-2008, 12:36 PM
people knew god b4 scriptures and movies.
if you were born on a deserted island you would eventually find god.