PDA

View Full Version : What are the ingrediants of a classic?

ItsArtic
07-22-2008, 11:04 PM
dont know if anyone mad a topic like this before, but what do you guys thinks makes a classic song or album?

if the music is all classic material and no1 hears it, is it still a classic?

if the music is garbage but it is the sound for that year and ppl play it years later is is a classic?

ill put what i think later

TSA
07-23-2008, 12:11 AM
good thread, im glad i get firsts cause a lot of ppl on here are nuts about that word

a classic

1. It has to have a lasting IMPACT on a world greater then it's self
2. It has to has to be well embraced, not really sales, but almost everyone has to agree it's dope like with The Chronic and Illmatic
3. It has to be atleast 90% material that can
a. stand the test of time, playable and relevant 10 years from it's drop n beyond
b. be agreed on by the majority of listeners as flawless
4. Something about it has to be new/innovative
5. It has to be a defining moment in hip hop, music or the world, ex. Marshal Matters
6. Do what it does at a level unmatched. Like Ready To Die's ability to dig into the feelings and thoughts of biggie to the point that when he dies on the album it feels like he died, Or Wutang Forever being a testimont to how great/powerful wutang is and therefore sounds like the sonic version of the word imperial.
7. Set a standard for albums/songs/rappers to follow from it's drop and on

Lex Lugor
07-23-2008, 01:12 AM
cant argue with that.

Shaolin Bloody Sword
07-23-2008, 01:15 AM
good thread, im glad i get firsts cause a lot of ppl on here are nuts about that word

a classic

2. It has to has to be well embraced, not really sales, but almost everyone has to agree it's dope like with The Chronic and Illmatic
a. stand the test of time, playable and relevant 10 years from it's drop n beyond
5. It has to be a defining moment in hip hop, music or the world, ex. Marshal Matters
6. Do what it does at a level unmatched. Like Ready To Die's ability to dig into the feelings and thoughts of biggie to the point that when he dies on the album it feels like he died, Or Wutang Forever being a testimont to how great/powerful wutang is and therefore sounds like the sonic version of the word imperial.

Well said Bitch ! You pretty much layed it down. :yessad:

11th Chamber
07-23-2008, 01:24 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/k-murph/Raekwon_only.jpg

everything u need all balled up into a masterpiece

The Hound
07-23-2008, 01:50 AM
baby photo's on the album cover seem to work well too ...

TSA
07-23-2008, 01:55 AM
^Lol

Mr. X
07-23-2008, 02:28 AM
TSA nailed it

Edgar Erebus
07-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Yup, OBT#1 is completely on point here.

That's why I consider only 70 rap albums as classics.

claaa7
07-23-2008, 05:58 AM
^^ 70 is a pretty damn large amount though..

Edgar Erebus
07-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Not quite. Considering that fans usually call every excellent album a classic, according to them there would be hundreds, if not thousands of classics. I mean, just look at this forum. Every album from Phase One is called classic; at least 1/3 of later albums are also getting "classic" name by fans.

The Hound
07-23-2008, 06:30 AM
the truth ^^ ... great albums get called classics but a classic is more than just a dope album ... i think the true classics are the ones we pretty much all rattle off when asked to name classics ... illmatic, cuban linx, liquid swords, 36 chambers ... can't forget shit like paid in full either ...

to me there is only ... 10 albums TOPS that are justified classic but i have plenty of personal classics ... just me though

sarr
07-23-2008, 07:58 AM

a classic

pretty much what i was gona write

DiMidio
07-23-2008, 08:14 AM
some classic albums in my opinion:

Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Wu Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers
Nas - Illmatic
Biggie - Ready To Die
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth