PDA

View Full Version : An Ill Khutbah

Urban_Journalz
07-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Peace,

I write this, first and foremost for my Ummah. For those of you who practice The 5 Pillars, I greet you with the best of greetings,

As-Sallam-Walaikum-WaRahmatuAllahi-Wabarakhatu.

For those of you who know that the world and all that surrounds it was put here for a reason and are SERIOUSLY trying to find out the reasons behind it, I hope this helps you and I greet you with Peace, Blessings and most of all, success on that perilous journey.

A Khutbah is a sermon that is delivered by the Imam every Friday or Jummah, which is the Holy day for all Muslims.

Two Fridays ago, the khutbah that was delivered revolved around the relationship between Heaven and Earth. The example was given by the telling of the story of Archangel Gabriel (peace be upon him) and his (pbuh) delivering of The Message to Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).

Before Muhammad (pbuh) was given Prophethood, he (pbuh) sought to find out Who God Is. All around him (pbuh), people were worshipping statues, the sun, the stars, the moon and other people. It never sat right with him (pbuh), so he (pbuh) sought solitude. Isolation, to clear his mind of the many distractions and false, sinful practices that went on around him (pbuh). He entered the cave of Hira, for meditation, contemplation and all around soul-searching. After many months back and forth from the cave, one night, a figure appeared in the form of a man. Dressed in all white. Of course in the desert, if you wear all white, there should surely be stains on your attire. So, it was strange not seeing this.

The figure was Gabriel (pbuh). Archangel, one of those closet to God, and the second created after Michael (pbuh). God's messenger to mankind.

Many people think that the revelation began with the command, "Iqra!" Which means "READ!".
This is not so. The revelation began with a hug. A huge, embracing and extremely painful hug.

Why a hug? Moreover, why a PAINFUL hug? Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) told his wife Khadijah (ridy Allahu anha), "I felt like I was going to die. I felt like my bones were going to break." This is how powerful the hug was. This hug is the essence of life. Love and Pain. Love through Pain. Blessings through Hardships. Rewards through Losses and patience when these losses occur. After 3 of these hugs and between these hugs, Gabriel (pbuh) saying "IQRA!", and Rasulullah (pbuh) saying, "I do not know how to read!", he (pbuh) finally says, "What would you have me read?" We all are familiar with the term, "Knowledge is Power", but to TRULY know how powerful that knowledge is, one has to understand exactly what knowledge is. Whoever coined the phrase, "The Pen is mightier than the sword." understood this concept, and it doesn't take a genius to figure this out. Gabriel's (pbuh) mission, or the beginning thereof, is the cornerstone of this life's truth. If you don't know, find out, because it's waiting for you.

Once you read, you have to understand. In order to understand, you have to practice what you read. Once you understand, and habitually practice what you read, you then become wise. It changes you entirely. You begin to perceive the hidden, and not-so-hidden truths about creation.

The relationship between Heaven and Earth, God and Mankind, is as the relationship between Mother and Child. Father and Son. Teacher and Student. To nurture, instruct and protect. Also, if the latter of the two disobeys, to show them the right way, through various methods. Some painless, some painful, but all leading to the same end. A positive spiritual, mental and physical alchemy of the latter.

It is said that the Cherubim were created from the tears, hear me now, the TEARS shed by Michael (pbuh) for the ones who commit habitual sins. This is interesting. First of all, people think that sinners are hated by te Heavenly beings, which in some cases is true. However, these tears were shed because even the Angels know the kind of good that mankind is capable of. They also know what waits for us, both good and bad, when The Hour comes.

Sympathy is mandatory when you love someone. As God is Love, so is His Creation. It's up to us what we do with our free will, but make no mistake, we weren't "born into sin" as some would have us believe. In the Sunnah, a man is quoted as saying, "The Angels spread their wings for the seeker of wisdom, out of joy for that which he seeks." This quote should be memorized and practiced diligently. You don't have to see gravity to know that it's holding you to the planet's surface, so don't ask to see God's Face. Just know It's there.

Whenever you're in pain, remember the hug that Gabriel (pbuh) gave Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Remember that the early Muslims would make their prayers even when they were wounded from battle. So a fever, or a bruised limb shouldn't stop you from making your prayers. Remember the man who asked Rasulullah (pbuh), "If I die, where will I go?" and Rasulullah (pbuh) told him, "If you die, you will be in Paradise". Then, the man picked up his sword and returned to battle and didn't stop until he was struck down. Remember that for a believer, nothing happens to him, even if it's the pricking of a cactus needle in his finger, that a sin is not erased from his record.

Remember that the pain you go through is only to make you stronger. God loves His people, but He loves the strong ones the most.

As-Sallam-Walaikum-WaRahmatuAllahi-Wabarakhatu

diggy
07-27-2008, 03:01 AM
It's alright, but I've heard better Khuttbahs.

Urban_Journalz
07-27-2008, 10:43 AM
It's not about the best, it's about the message itself.

Some Surahs are more powerful than others, would you, after reading one of the less inspiring or scary ones say, "It's o.k. but I've heard better." or would you take what you learned from it and act on it?

Olive Oil Goombah
07-27-2008, 11:01 AM
i read alot of these things in a Middle East history class i took a few semesters back.
It reminds me or any old sermon you'd here in a church.

Urban_Journalz
07-27-2008, 11:12 AM
It's refreshing to have a heartfelt sermon every once in a while. Or at least throw it into the mix of the sermon being given. I think the problem comes when that's all people concentrate on. They get the impression that because God is Love, you can keep pissing Him off and nothing will happen. Then they wonder why tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricaines and volcanoes start saying, "hello!"