PDA

View Full Version : Does G.P.A. matter?

IrOnMaN
07-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Do you think that G.P.A. determines how smart a person is? I'm majoring in Geology and it's a pretty tough major. My major G.P.A. is a 3.0 but my culminative G.P.A is......let's say it's not so good. I know that I'm a pretty bright guy. The problem I have is that I don't like the University that I'm currently attending nor the people. Plus, I live in a pretty f***** up area! I have a part-time job and I attend school full-time. I'm VERY busy! I just get tired sometimes. Even though I'll be finish in May '09, I know I have to get my culminative G.P.A. up to at least a 2.7.

Because if I don't, I have a strong feeling that grad. schools won't accepted me and companies won't hire me based on my undergraduate G.P.A. Plus, I know that there are people that will try to roast me. "Damn, you're dumb".

But I do have a good IQ of 131, though. Now, if I had majored in commuications or english, then I would probably have a high culmunative G.P.A. Whatever happens, happens. You know?

Please discuss. Thanks.

begongo
07-27-2008, 12:23 PM
lol I got the exact same IQ score

anyway .. what is GPA?

minibumpsh
07-27-2008, 12:25 PM
gpa= grade point average.

I don't think a GPA should define how smart someone is, but numbers are important if youre trying to apply to a good college, when you go for your bachelors, and whatever the fuck else you tryna accomplish.

Olive Oil Goombah
07-27-2008, 12:30 PM
It shows how well you grasped the material and how much effort you put into your
classes.
There are classes were i have gotten B+'s and i easily could have gotten A's if
i worked a little harder, made that extra effort.

As far as funding goes for college and stuff like that, yea GPA is important for
scholarships.
And if your at a 3.0 and another kid has a 4.0 and you both interview the same at a job, its just another bonus to have on your resume.
The employer will either think he is smarter or a harder worker.

Dont be lazy next time and settle for B's....i have that problem too sometimes.

12weLvE
07-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Grade point average... your grades in your school.

A = 4.00
A- = 3.67
B+ = 3.33
B = 3.00
B- = 2.67
C+ = 2.33
C = 2.00
C- = 1.67
D+ = 1.33
D = 1.00
E = 0.00

------------------------------------------------------------------

I got an overall 3.66, but I honestly dont think that this determines how smart poeple are...there are so many things that can fuck up your GPA... LAzyness, too much partying, not going to class...a bunch off shit...there are a few such as myself who tend to have a perfect balance though.

Also youir major can play a huge factor... So a physical education major student has a 3.75 and a Bio Chemistry major has a 3.02.... If you look at the GPA's you will be like wow 3.75, but think about all the hard shit a bio chemestry major has to do. GPA to me is just how focus and dedicated you are... now how smart.

and oh yeah....

HONOR STUDENT ALL DAY!!!!!!!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/DeeInfamous001/CIMG0014.jpg

Olive Oil Goombah
07-27-2008, 12:38 PM
nerd alert!!!!!

yea, you can really fuck up your GPA.....I had a 3.7 goin into last fall semester and i got
a C in a university requirement lab class, and a C in a history class cuz my professor was
a bit unclear about a paper i had to write. Anyways i got a C on the paper, and a C on one of the 2 tests we have.....so you really have only 3 chances at points. I fucked 2 up....
Those 2 classes brought me down to like a 3...but i brought it back up to about 3.5.
YOu need them A's when u can get em....and stay away from anything belwo a B!

12weLvE
07-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah I feel you... the way I see it is if you know you are getting a C, you better bust your ass on one class to get and A.... A+C=B so there you balance it out...those c's will kill you... I got a C+ in Research Methods.

IrOnMaN
07-27-2008, 12:52 PM
^^^InspectahChek, what's your major?

12weLvE
07-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Double major... Sociology and English... with a minor in Coaching... I graduate next May.

begongo
07-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I never thought standards were so high in college ... I was thinking that like everything over B- is pretty much ok

I'm going to college beginning with september so y'all wish me luck

IrOnMaN
07-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Double major... Sociology and English... with a minor in Coaching... I get graduate next May.

Sounds like a good double major.

Again, my major is Geology. I got a C in Structural Geology (high level course) because my professor was a REAL b****! There was so much course work that had to be done. Everybody got C's.|( I don't feel so bad. Then I have to take Calculus, Cal. based Physics, and more bullshit like that.}:|

Prolifical ENG
07-27-2008, 01:08 PM
My GPA sucks too but its not stopping me.

Grad school depends a lot on your GPA as well as your references. Finding a job might a little but if its not good then dont put it on your resume.

Finding a first job with your piece of paper might matter a little bit but after you have been working in your field it wont matter as much. You think someone cares about your GPA after youve been working in the area for 10 years? After that its just your accomplishments. Before that your GPA is your major accomplishment .

12weLvE
07-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Sounds like a good double major.

Again, my major is Geology. I got a C in Structural Geology (high level course) because my professor was a REAL b****! There was so much course work that had to be done. Everybody got C's.|( I don't feel so bad. Then I have to take Calculus, Cal. based Physics, and more bullshit like that.}:|

Dont worry baout it homie you will always run into those fucking ass holes... I had a professor who said "I dont believe anybody is perfect, so I dont give out A's" I was like WOW!!! I ve taken a lot hard courses, and have done a lot or writting...college iscan be hard, but also fun, so dont kill yourself. Freshmen, Sophmore and Junior year I partied like there was no tommorow and I fucked like a maniac lol.

But the main topic is about does this prove how smart you are, and the answer is NO!!!! Again there are a lot of things that factor into this whole GPA crap.

12weLvE
07-27-2008, 01:15 PM
My GPA sucks too but its not stopping me.

Grad school depends a lot on your GPA as well as your references. Finding a job might a little but if its not good then dont put it on your resume.

Finding a first job with your piece of paper might matter a little bit but after you have been working in your field it wont matter as much. You think someone cares about your GPA after youve been working in the area for 10 years? After that its just your accomplishments. Before that your GPA is your major accomplishment .

Masters is the way to go. As soon as I am done with undergrad I am going straight to grad school...not waisting anytime.... LOl at you calling it a piece of paper... I tend to call it that too.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-27-2008, 02:40 PM
My GPA is pretty poor and im pretty stupid.

So i think there is some correlation.

INF
07-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Yo Chek , I Never Said It But I Always Been Proud Of You For Stayin In School And Doin Good Like You Do. Big Up!!!!!!!!

12weLvE
07-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Yo Chek , I Never Said It But I Always Been Proud Of You For Stayin In School And Doin Good Like You Do. Big Up!!!!!!!!

Thanks homie.

INF
07-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks homie.

Yeah man , so many of us drop out and just dont give a fuck and there you are doin it big. Settin the example an shit.:mmmyah:

Longbongcilvaringz
07-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Its weird, my GPA is 3.7, but my overall average is much lower than that would suggest...

Maybe im looking at the GPA for one degree and not the other.

Either way, my foremost concern is passing and finding any job.

Anything above that is a bonus.

12weLvE
07-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah there is your overall all GPA and your major gpa.

BTW way Pat B. The video on your sig got removed.

HANZO
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
no it dnt, we dnt have it here. we jus get the grades. i mean you can get A's and Maths and Physics get F's in everything else and you can still get into a top university.

ppl jus study hard, and you should get the grade you want. simple as. dnt matter what some irrelevent IQ tests says. most ppl have the potential to get A's, its jus most dnt want to spend the time infront of a book.

TheWolf
07-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Never heard of GPA's in my life.

But from reading this thread have worked out my 'GPA' in my GCSE's was 1.0.

Does that mean me no very clever, yes?

HANZO
07-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Never heard of GPA's in my life.

But from reading this thread have worked out my 'GPA' in my GCSE's was 1.0.

Does that mean me no very clever, yes?

i did the same and got 3.64. but it wont work for GCSE's, i got A*s which dnt have a grade point.

it kinda works for A-levels though, even if A-levels dnt have plus or minus grades. i calculated that I got 3.866.

those grades jus go me into university though, they dnt mean shit now.