36 & Forever >>> The Roots

Undeniable

Ritter
07-27-2008, 07:39 PM
GZA :: Alphabets > The Roots

Undeniable

spiggity_ace
07-27-2008, 07:45 PM
both r dope but wu>>>>>>roots, 1mc cant beat 10, lol at shizzahs comment thats pretty funny

Maccabee Ridah
07-27-2008, 07:48 PM

Undeniable

Co-sign to the fullest!

Ritter
07-27-2008, 07:53 PM
both r dope but wu>>>>>>roots, 1mc cant beat 10, lol at shizzahs comment thats pretty funny

It was intended to be a joke.

But can't front... Wu-Tang, the most colossal and influential hip hop group EVER... against a sick group.

I mean Goliath vs David's older brother.

Edit: In this one, Goliath wins

"Like Goliath cuttin David's throat"

Prolifical ENG
07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
The Roots' last 3 albums > Wu-Tang Clan's last 3 albums

undeniable.

The last 3 Roots albums were dope. Comparing these 2 groups, is there anything else that Roots has an advantage over Wu?

Buzk
07-27-2008, 08:27 PM
the roots are definitely much more consistant when it comes to quality, but wu tangs best album surpasses roots best albums

Paranoid
07-27-2008, 08:57 PM
i love the roots but were talking about wu-tang which also has 9(of the best) mcs...

and roots catalog cant fuck with wu's

unnecessary comparison

11th Chamber
07-27-2008, 09:01 PM
The Roots' last 3 albums > Wu-Tang Clan's last 3 albums

undeniable.

which includes The W, so ur wrong.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
07-27-2008, 09:24 PM
The last 3 Roots albums were dope. Comparing these 2 groups, is there anything else that Roots has an advantage over Wu?

the ammount of catolouge

Noodles
07-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah, the w definately beats out the tipping point.

GhettoGnom
07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
the ammount of catolouge

You gotta count solo albums (not affiliates though, but solo albums should be included)

Shaolin Bloody Sword
07-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Back Thought is a dope MC ! Sometimes i don't like the Roots production. Their last albums have been sounding more like a band album.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
07-27-2008, 10:43 PM
i love the roots but were talking about wu-tang which also has 9(of the best) mcs...

and roots catalog cant fuck with wu's

unnecessary comparison

yeah this is a travesty why would you even compare these two they both are great for the culture and thought is a beast.......

I love em both for different reasons so to me you cannot compare them they are both equally dope for different reasons

Mic Tyson
07-27-2008, 10:44 PM

they have never stopped makin good music and are still bringin heat

junius
07-27-2008, 10:50 PM
original poster is provocative but fucking retarded. yeah, the Roots are consistent...

1) consistently pretty DULL (admit the truth)

2) consistently bitch-ass complainers

their album covers & the concepts are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more compelling than the music, which is sometimes pretty good, often just eh. ya'll are going to beef on, say, "Heart Gently Weeps" & suck Roots cock over "Everybody Is A Star" crap? wake the fuck up.

3) same with that asinine Dilla tribute-- put in the cd booklet, not as minutes of filler on the cd.

4) Most of the best moments on Roots cds are by guest MCs (not Saigon, however, who sucks no matter how much that faggot kisses his own biceps)... which says what?

5) Everybody talks about Black Thought being able to imitate Kool G Rap & Big Daddy Kane bc his ** own ** style is so dull, no matter how good his/their intentions.

the Roots are OK, glad they exist, but this is a fucking laughable argument.

Roc-A-Fella Philly >>>>>> the Roots, how about that? (Besides the fact it's TRUE.)

Prolifical ENG
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
they have never stopped makin good music and are still bringin heat

True, however, thats pretty much the same thing as the initial claim; that they have been better on their last 3 albums vs wu's last 3 albums.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
07-27-2008, 11:34 PM
original poster is provocative but fucking retarded. yeah, the Roots are consistent...

1) consistently pretty DULL (admit the truth)

2) consistently bitch-ass complainers

their album covers & the concepts are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more compelling than the music, which is sometimes pretty good, often just eh. ya'll are going to beef on, say, "Heart Gently Weeps" & suck Roots cock over "Everybody Is A Star" crap? wake the fuck up.

3) same with that asinine Dilla tribute-- put in the cd booklet, not as minutes of filler on the cd.

4) Most of the best moments on Roots cds are by guest MCs (not Saigon, however, who sucks no matter how much that faggot kisses his own biceps)... which says what?

5) Everybody talks about Black Thought being able to imitate Kool G Rap & Big Daddy Kane bc his ** own ** style is so dull, no matter how good his/their intentions.

the Roots are OK, glad they exist, but this is a fucking laughable argument.

Roc-A-Fella Philly >>>>>> the Roots, how about that? (Besides the fact it's TRUE.)

your trippin

Noodles
07-28-2008, 12:40 AM

Examples?

The Hound
07-28-2008, 01:16 AM
The W is better than people give it credit so i disagree with thread starter ... and wtf alphabets > the roots ? ... fuckin ... w.t.f mate?

2Bladez
07-28-2008, 02:46 AM
both are absolutely different groups with different styles, don't understand why you want to compare them...

claaa7
07-28-2008, 07:34 AM
it depends on what you're into.. personally i prefer the Wu-Tang sound over The Roots and that includes "The W" and "8 Diagrams". I think The Roots comes off best as a live band, there live LP is my favorite from them.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-28-2008, 09:05 AM
both are absolutely different groups with different styles, don't understand why you want to compare them...

exactly - I enjoy the music of both groups

it depends on what you're into.. personally i prefer the Wu-Tang sound over The Roots and that includes "The W" and "8 Diagrams". I think The Roots comes off best as a live band, there live LP is my favorite from them.

I hope u mean best live RAP band/group, cuz that would be true

Suga Duga
07-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Undeniable

haha, word

benzo
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM

Their live show. PERIOD.

Rame
07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Wu fo sheazy.

I like the Roots but their last album wasn't all that.

Prolifical ENG
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Their live show. PERIOD.

You're right and I meant to add that yesterday. They go to every major city like every year. When comparing groups/emcees in hip-hop, their live shows aren't brought up often enough.

Ritter
07-28-2008, 03:50 PM
and wtf alphabets > the roots ? ... fuckin ... w.t.f mate?

You don't like me, do you? Always tryin to put me down and shit.

I clearly stated afterwards it was a joke.

-The A to the Z-
07-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Game Theory<Rising Down.

Acromadic
07-29-2008, 02:56 AM
I think the Roots are better than Wu. I don't think anybody in wu-tang matches up with black thought as a WHOLE. The only one who I can compare Thought to is Mef. The Roots make better music. You can't include wu solo projects because it isn't Wu-Tang, and most of the Wu solo albums are average (with the exception of anything they did between 93-96). The Roots have been putting out dope group albums since Do You Want More. They are far more consistent than the WU.

I know this is a wu-tang forum, so go ahead and disagree, I wouldn't be surprised if you did.

Ritter
07-29-2008, 03:37 AM
I disagree. But that's your opinion. The next guy'll probably bash you.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-29-2008, 03:45 AM
It's a whole different group - but I can't say that Roots don't know quality, overall they have better ratings than the Clan IMO.

Black Thought would never do Ice Cream pt.2 for instance

Ritter
07-29-2008, 04:03 AM
Black Thought would never do Ice Cream pt.2 for instance

Nor Mighty Healthy.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-29-2008, 04:16 AM
But he has other qualities. And with overall good quality.

But again - u can't compare the Wu and teh Rootiez

Edgar Erebus
07-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Roots have more consistent and larger group catalogue.

They never got as much praise for any album as three first Wu-Tang joints.

They never managed to change the way the game is going.

Wu wins.

2Bladez
07-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Word...
Wu Tang is greater hip hop group, but The Roots are better musicians...i mean, they are the real artists

benzo
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Roots have more consistent and larger group catalogue.

They never got as much praise for any album as three first Wu-Tang joints.

They never managed to change the way the game is going.

Wu wins.

You haven't noticed that alot of emcees are using a live band now? Even RZA's jumped on that bandwagon. I truly don't think as many artists would be doing this if it weren't for, say, Jay-Z's Unplugged album....which was highlighted by the Roots. Now dude never performs without a band it seems...

Edgar Erebus
07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
You haven't noticed that alot of emcees are using a live band now? Even RZA's jumped on that bandwagon. I truly don't think as many artists would be doing this if it weren't for, say, Jay-Z's Unplugged album....which was highlighted by the Roots. Now dude never performs without a band it seems...

Live band was used since day one. Literally. "Rapper's Delight", remember that? Plus Roots even weren't first self-sustaining rap band, the title goes to Stetsasonic. What Roots are is definitely the most experimental, advanced and popular of all live bands.

What I tried to say is that they never caused a sound revolution like Wu-Tang did.

For example, look at hip-hop before "Protect Ya Neck". G-Funk was dominating and East Coast rap was, apart from Boot Camp Clik, still mainly doing EPMD's boombap funk or Gang Starr/Pete Rock/Quest's jazziness with old school braggadoccio or simple storytelling lyricism over it (political rap had just died down).

After "Protect Ya Neck" we suddenly see the surge of more eerie, athmospheric and way darker beatmaking and use of soul samples, going into complex lyricism on the verge of nonsense with more violent and cynical subject matter than before.

Not to mention the next revolution Wu-Tang did with "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx." There was absolutely no East Coast MC who didn't record mafioso shit basically until DMX came out.

The Grandmaster
07-29-2008, 05:27 PM
ur on a wu tang fan site of course ppl are gonna go with the wu

benzo
07-30-2008, 09:09 AM
SlimT - You've got valid points and I agree with 'em. I was just saying that the live act scenario is getting very popular at the moment and I think the work that The Roots put in with Jay, Hip-Hop Honors, etc. recently has done alot to encourage that. Peace-

THE W
07-30-2008, 05:46 PM
are we talking overall or recently?

Acromadic
08-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Live band was used since day one. Literally. "Rapper's Delight", remember that? Plus Roots even weren't first self-sustaining rap band, the title goes to Stetsasonic. What Roots are is definitely the most experimental, advanced and popular of all live bands.

What I tried to say is that they never caused a sound revolution like Wu-Tang did.

For example, look at hip-hop before "Protect Ya Neck". G-Funk was dominating and East Coast rap was, apart from Boot Camp Clik, still mainly doing EPMD's boombap funk or Gang Starr/Pete Rock/Quest's jazziness with old school braggadoccio or simple storytelling lyricism over it (political rap had just died down).

After "Protect Ya Neck" we suddenly see the surge of more eerie, athmospheric and way darker beatmaking and use of soul samples, going into complex lyricism on the verge of nonsense with more violent and cynical subject matter than before.

Not to mention the next revolution Wu-Tang did with "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx." There was absolutely no East Coast MC who didn't record mafioso shit basically until DMX came out.

I give RZA props for revolutionizing beatmaking (because he did) but as far as complex lyricisim, niggas been doing that way before, I can give you examples of people such as Rakim, Kool G Rap, De La Soul, and Leaders of the New School.

OB4CL did not originate mafioso rap, everybody knows that Kool G Rap did it first.

What Wu-Tang did revolutionize was production and the fact that you can have 9 people in a group and make dope hip-hop.

Wu-Tang brought a new sound to hip-hop, but so did the roots, and the roots sound is far more original and harder to mimic.

You can't compare the talent of the Roots to the instruments played on the Stetsasonic or fucking sugar hill gangs albums.

So, The Roots win.

Edgar Erebus
08-04-2008, 05:31 AM
I give RZA props for revolutionizing beatmaking (because he did) but as far as complex lyricisim, niggas been doing that way before, I can give you examples of people such as Rakim, Kool G Rap, De La Soul, and Leaders of the New School.

OB4CL did not originate mafioso rap, everybody knows that Kool G Rap did it first.

What Wu-Tang did revolutionize was production and the fact that you can have 9 people in a group and make dope hip-hop.

Wu-Tang brought a new sound to hip-hop, but so did the roots, and the roots sound is far more original and harder to mimic.

You can't compare the talent of the Roots to the instruments played on the Stetsasonic or fucking sugar hill gangs albums.

So, The Roots win.

1) I know all that about complex lyricists before Wu, but let's make it clear: before Wu "hot" East Coast rappers didn't put in obscure pop culture/kung-fu references or make verses who were all one big metaphor. Fast forward to 1995: everyone and their momma was doing it.

2) True, Kool G Rap started mafioso rap. For years he was also the only one who was doing it and the style would die with him if it wasn't for Raekwon.

3) Don't forget that Roots are far less influential. Yeah in terms of live bands performing now, but not in terms of sound.

Now, to not make you think I'm a dickrider of something, I'ma put a couple of things where Roots are better than Wu.

* Keeping it tight. They're fifteen years and eight albums deep; during that phase they did switch line-up, but there was no solo venturing while being a part of the group (exact opposite of what Wu did). That probably did make their pockets a bit less fat, but kept the group's cohesion and prevented big ego's to step in and ruin the game.

* Keeping it fresh. This is their biggest asset. They never repeated their sound - they always reinvented it for the next album, usually with excellent results (save for The Tipping Point); at the same time they managed to keep it obvious in any time it's Roots who were doing music. That's also something where Wu failed: they created their signature sound and didn't change it much during their period on top (except OB4CL). Now the tiniest change in it makes it sound non-Wu, while keeping original sound is played out. Catch 22.

thamainfacta
08-04-2008, 11:56 AM
there are some very valid points in here. i myself would go with the roots. in overall consistency in terms of their albums, live performances and sticking together as a group the roots win this hands down. i feel that even the wu are just doing it for the money now. 8 diagrams was really average and rising down was absolutely brilliant, as has all their albums. and i'd even go as far to put illadelph halflife > 36 chambers and forever. but hey, thats just me.

GhettoGnom
08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
2) True, Kool G Rap started mafioso rap. For years he was also the only one who was doing it and the style would die with him if it wasn't for Raekwon.

Your point is?
Raekwon got influenced by G Rap. G Rap is THE mafioso rap pioneer, no need for arguing.