PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat 9 Planned As A Mature Return To Form

KZA
07-27-2008, 09:24 PM
We sat down with Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon tonight to chat about his latest project, Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe. Once again, we pestered Mr. Boon about the scrapped version of Mortal Kombat 8, once described by the long-term Midway dev as being heavily inspired by the look of Gears of War.

While that grittier, darker version of MK didn't make it far beyond the technology development stages Boon told us there was little in the way of concept art for the grimier spin on the series the next next Mortal Kombat may strive for more blood, more violence, more of everything that warrants an M-rating.

The artistic vision of a less saturated, less Superman filled fighter is still swimming around Boon's head, a title that may rest on the success of MK vs. DC. We spent more time with the crossover fighter tonight and talked with Boon about plenty of other MK-related topics. Tune in tomorrow for the rest of our conversation.

http://kotaku.com/5029002/mortal-kombat-9-planned-as-a-mature-return-to-form

oDoUoSoKo
07-27-2008, 09:49 PM
good...eloels, all i can say.

Bodega Pop Tartz
07-29-2008, 12:16 PM
thank the heavens.

oDoUoSoKo
07-30-2008, 05:55 PM
hopefully as gritty or gritter than Deadly Alliance, a game i enjoy very very much.

Mic Tyson
07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
thats wassup

shaolinsword
07-31-2008, 06:38 AM
It'll be good to play a proper MK game again after the recent pile of shit that's been released

The Hound
07-31-2008, 06:41 AM
as much as i love MK ... none of the 3D versions match the 2D side to side ones ... MK and MK II are fighting master pieces ... why the fuck they took out the longer combo's for armageddon and put that shitty up in the air thing is beyond me ... they had the chance to make armageddon EPIC and they failed miserably ...

KERZO
08-01-2008, 06:02 AM
kool news kza....k?

oDoUoSoKo
08-01-2008, 06:29 PM
as much as i love MK ... none of the 3D versions match the 2D side to side ones ... MK and MK II are fighting master pieces ... why the fuck they took out the longer combo's for armageddon and put that shitty up in the air thing is beyond me ... they had the chance to make armageddon EPIC and they failed miserably ...
actually i think Deadly Alliance was excellent, and the only reason back then i put UMKIII before it was because it was a classic, but that doesnt mean its better.....

Bodega Pop Tartz
08-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I think Deception is a classic IMO. The fighting styles along with the storylines are mad crazy. I'mma have to get use to just hitting buttons now with this MK vs DC shit.

The Hound
08-02-2008, 02:24 AM
i liekd them both don't get met wrong but armageddon was a fail ... i like in deception the konquest more than i liked the arcade but i loved the multi combo's you could pull together ESPECIALLY sub zero's one that was 8 or 9 hits and it went through his 2 fighting styles and ended with an upper cut of his sword or something ... i donno i always thought they both lacked a bit ... probably playing MK2 for so many years as a youth i like it too much and became too critical of future joints ...

Soldier of Darkness
08-02-2008, 04:38 AM
probably playing MK2 for so many years as a youth i like it too much and became too critical of future joints ...

i can totally equate this to Wu-Tang growing up, versus Wu-Tang now.

i grew up on all the classics and thus, none of the new shit seems to compete with it (minus maybe The Great Migration and a few other exceptions)

oDoUoSoKo
08-02-2008, 10:43 AM
everything relates to wu tang with this one^^ eloels, and Tonearm...your prob. right about growing up with it, well idk, because i did too..but i was only blown away by DA, and satisfied with Deception.

Bodega Pop Tartz
08-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Deception is that shit!

KZA
06-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Despite financial turmoil at Mortal Kombat publisher Midway, the Chicago-based MK team is soldiering on with the ninth fighting game in the series, currently known only as MK9. Series co-creator Ed Boon says it will definitely be M-rated.

Boon has been dropping small tidbits about the bloody fighting game sequel via his Twitter account, writing "Motion capturing special moves & fatalities today....they are kind of sick!!" Boon also backs up what he told us last year during an interview at Comic-Con, that Mortal Kombat 9 will be a Mature rated game—and it "isn't going to have Superheroes in it"—unlike the T-rated, toned down Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

"People want an M-rated MK....dammit we will give them an M-rated MK," Boon writes. He previously ponders "I hope we aren't taking these too far."

We've talked to a couple MK team members over the past year who have told us similar things, that MK9 would be "disgusting" in its violence, a return to form that we expect will be cathartic to longtime Mortal Kombat fans turned off by the less gory MK vs. DC... and maybe even a few of the game's developers.

http://kotaku.com/5297328/ed-boon-says-mortal-kombat-9-going-for-the-m

oDoUoSoKo
06-21-2009, 01:54 AM
PRAISE THE HEAVENS...eloels.

Bodega Pop Tartz
06-21-2009, 01:57 AM
finally...

gengoro
06-21-2009, 07:50 AM
More mature? If anything, they need to focus on making a better engine. The 3D MK's are stiff and robotic compared to other fighters.

shaolinsword
06-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Any news on any publishers picking this up considering Midway went under?

The Hound
06-21-2009, 10:15 AM
More mature? If anything, they need to focus on making a better engine. The 3D MK's are stiff and robotic compared to other fighters.

Agreed. It almost feels asif it's more of a sparring game, they need to bring it back to the glory days and make it a little more brutal.

Bodega Pop Tartz
06-21-2009, 11:17 AM
They Should Improve on the Deception fighting engine, it was good enough for me minus some bugs, that game was grimey as fuck, I felt like it was some classic wu-shit lol..

OB4CL2
06-21-2009, 11:33 AM
MK3...best one. i remember how little i was when i first played it. it will always be my
favorite no matter how realistic Boon makes the new ones as. i don't think they should
make any more MK movies. the sequences and story line of the movies/games are way off and causes confusion.

Mr. X
06-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Ugh, stop bragging about how violent it's going to be and assure us it won't be as fluid as a sack of bricks.

The Hound
06-21-2009, 01:05 PM
MK3...best one. i remember how little i was when i first played it. it will always be my
favorite no matter how realistic Boon makes the new ones as. i don't think they should
make any more MK movies. the sequences and story line of the movies/games are way off and causes confusion.

The movies aren't canon.

KZA
06-21-2009, 02:41 PM
mk3 being the best XD

mk2 and umk3 were the best ones.

i used to be crazy about mk back in the day but then it became meh to me. last game i had was deception. played mk vs dc at my local comic shop the creators were there when we played.