PDA

View Full Version : E-Commerce

Visionz
07-30-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm in the infant stages of starting my own company. As all my business is going to be conducted online I'm going to need to know all I can about e-commerce so if there's any advice or information someone might have please share here.

Really I was mainly trying to get Style to bless me with some wisdom but his mail box is full and I figure fuck it, maybe he's not the only one here who's in that line of work, so yeah, I'm all ears. help me help myself

Visionz
07-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Style, you there man?

RzaRectum
07-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Basically, if you want to sell the pussy online and have the pizza delivered door to door, make sure to advertise discreetly or you may end up getting shut down!

Visionz
07-31-2008, 01:37 AM
that's very insightful but I doing this completely legit. I've already started my LLC, I'm currently planning out the next step(s)

RzaRectum
07-31-2008, 01:39 AM
What type of business? (product)

Visionz
07-31-2008, 01:42 AM
What type of business? (product)I'm creating my own clothing label, starting out with just doing my own t-shirts

Marlo Stanfield
07-31-2008, 06:25 PM
another clothing line?

not trying to put out your fire but,....

do your thing

RzaRectum
07-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Well.. for starters you want to find a good balance on the type of clientelle you want to cater to without comprimising product integrity.

For example, if you really want sales and you're open to different types of clothing niches, then you are more flexible to cater to more people.

If you really want a specific culture, then you need to stay true to that despite sales. There are ways to up sales without compromising culture, but that goes without saying.

Visionz
07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
another clothing line?

not trying to put out your fire but,....

do your thingI'm sure alot of them fail but this one won't man, I'll unfold more as things become more developed but there's several angles I'm going with that pretty much ensure the product itself is gonna work

Well.. for starters you want to find a good balance on the type of clientelle you want to cater to without comprimising product integrity.

For example, if you really want sales and you're open to different types of clothing niches, then you are more flexible to cater to more people.

If you really want a specific culture, then you need to stay true to that despite sales. There are ways to up sales without compromising culture, but that goes without saying.See this is the thing. I own an LLC but the clothing line itself is going to be a property of that company. What this means is that I can stay true to what I'm going for now and if I ever feel like a drastic change then I'll just create another property so that the original line is never compromised.

Marlo Stanfield
08-01-2008, 01:22 PM
word

Visionz
08-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Style? c'mon man there isn't a person on this site who could help me out more on this particular topic

STYLE
08-05-2008, 02:35 AM
okay lets talk shop.

Visionz
08-05-2008, 02:42 AM
alright, where's best to start?

STYLE
08-05-2008, 02:52 AM
#1 copyright your designs.
i got raped from atlanta to paris france. literally france.
do a google search on thi pilsbury dopeboy and i bet it won't be authentic.
just to show you how big an idea can get i just googled it and found this news article
http://www.digtriad.com/news/watercooler/article.aspx?storyid=65566
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6696/pillsburydopeboytshirt6ft.jpg

http://cdn5.youplusplus.com/bs/small.23715.jpg

see what i mean? the korean's and the africans spell death for a cat trying to do it for himself.

STYLE
08-05-2008, 02:53 AM
how are you planning on manufacturing these tees?

Visionz
08-05-2008, 02:58 AM
damn, that's crazy @ the dopeboy ish, ever persued any legal means?

on production, the idea is to buy the shirts @ wholesale cost and get them printed locally at a silkscreen place here in Austin, I want to eventually get my own silkscreen setup but I run into a space issue with that one. I would like to eventually rent out a storage shed to work out of but I feel like I need to get more capital up before I'm at that point.

STYLE
08-05-2008, 03:10 AM
okay good. i did heat pres and bought my 1stv press for $500 then bought a bigger better one for about 850. pressing yourself is ALOT of work.

wholesale tees....

at a fleamarket,
1 tee cost about $7
a dozen costs about 30-40 depending on the quality

at a wholeseller a top quality dozen costs about 32 but ususally you have to buy 3 dozen minimum. a low quality may cost 25 a dozen.

bulk is where the real discount kicks in. 20 dozen (240shirts) may run you 18 a dozen which breaks down to about 1.50 a shirt.

this is where you want to be in terms of material price. around or under $2/shirt

i'll tell you why.

all the little costs add up on the production side. and make sure that you calculate ALL your expenses into the price of production, meaning gas to pick up the tees or shipping cost, printing, packaging(you have to put it in something right) adverising, website cost. take your total expense and divide it by the # of tees you made from spending that money.

once you have a base cost per shirt you can figure out how much to sell them for.

next up.... selling your product.

Visionz
08-05-2008, 03:17 AM
cool, cool................do you have any leads for suppliers? I've already founded the LLC, the paperwork just needs to be finalized so I'll have a legit tax id# albeit on with no credit history.

but yes, the marketing and selling is a crucial topic

STYLE
08-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Pioneer Apparel
https://www.pioneerapparel.com/

has the BEST quality tshirt i have ever seen. they designed and manufactured it themselves. Korean. but not only lis the fabric thick and heavy, but the cut is ....ahhh..its hard to discribe but i can wear a large all the way to a 5x and each size gives me a diff look. the sleeves hit right above the elbow the collar is over an inch. its a bad ass tee.
its called "Dream"
BUT....
they cost 42 a dozen. even if you but 15-20 dozen they are still 42 a dozen.
BUT...
with that kind of quality you can charge much more for your shirts. plus if you want to deal with retail the stores will recognize the quality.

now the best way to go about this is to find the wholeseller in Austin and build a relationship with them. just go in and tell them you HAVE a clothing line and you want to settle down with a reliable supplier. this means "constant cash flow" for them and they will be very accomadating. ask to see all the brands of tees. get their info. and try a few other spots. ask for a sample if possible, to compare with.

reliable brands are
Galaxy
Talha
City Cotton
District Threads
ibs

most of these brands have websites too.
but i found that its a time saver to be able to go get shirts when i need them rather than have to rush ship them.

Visionz
08-05-2008, 03:34 AM
that's whats up, have you ever looked into bamboo tees? it seems like thats the new new but its Texas so we're not gonna be the first in the states to see a trend comin

STYLE
08-05-2008, 03:50 AM
selling shirts....

online is very good but i always kept 3 dozen in the trunk.
at $20, a days work can really make ends meet when it gets tight.

now retail is where you can sell alot of shirts in a short amount of time.

my 1st summer with only 3 store accounts (one was the largest urban shop downtown ATL, one was phat gear the most authentic and famous shop, and one shop out in the boonies) i moved over 100 dozen shirts.

stores will cop 5-10 dozen at a time. if the design is hot and is moving or you have a variety of designs you can get repeat sales. the big store was copping 10 dozen every 2 weeks. phat gear was copping 10 dozen a month. the boonies was doing 5 dozen a month.

once i hit the road i unded up with 82 accounts from GA to CT out to MI

you want to target privately owned urban clothing stores. not the chain stores because they do their buying at the MAGIC SHOW. but you can get lucky and the owner/buyer may really want to carry your line. it happened to me a few times but it was mostly off reputation and the celebrity endorsements.

STYLE
08-05-2008, 04:05 AM
celebrities....a big plus.
i got plugged because atl is chock full of rappers. so the store owner tells me one day a stylist buys a few shirts from him and dresses youngbloods in them for their rap city apearance.

she also was the stylist for Jeezy. so she called me and i did a custom shirt for the VMAs. she plugged me to the stylist of DTP. i dressed luda, players circle and field mob for various diff things. i think i am even in the DTP dvd.

but the easiest way to meet celebs is in the club when the are performing or appearing. free clothing can get you far in the club.

bring about 5 shirts .

one for the bouncer at the door. it won't get you in free but he will cut you slack with your movements, mostly to let you bring shirts and shit up in there.

one for the dj. introduce yourself give him a tee. the dj may shout you out or even introduce you to someone important. dj's here also on the radio so you never now. the dj may be the celeb you want to be plugged with.

of course hit the bartender off. duh.

then you have 2 left for either the owner or the celeb.

i found that if you approach a celeb like the are an ordinary dude or chick, and you are about your biz, not all drunk, you will get a suprisingly welcome respinse. but its all about timing and presentaion. when you see asn opening go for it. there will rarely be a time when they are alone or not doing something. just don't interrupt anything important.

i did this to KRS i was able to chill backstage with him and talk, blazed with ghost and trife , and had a drink with paul wall. they all gave me a lengthy convo and DIRECT CELL NUMBERS, mc serch was so cool he invited me to the radio station the next day and had me on the air. he was buggin over the shirts.

djs are the best free advertising you can get. plus they know everything thats going on in the city.i built relationships with atleast someone from every station in ATL.

loooooong story short...celebs give you credibility and have pull in terms of sales. if someone sees rapper X wearing it they will wanr it too.

Visionz
08-05-2008, 04:08 AM
selling shirts....

online is very good but i always kept 3 dozen in the trunk.
at $20, a days work can really make ends meet when it gets tight.

now retail is where you can sell alot of shirts in a short amount of time.

my 1st summer with only 3 store accounts (one was the largest urban shop downtown ATL, one was phat gear the most authentic and famous shop, and one shop out in the boonies) i moved over 100 dozen shirts.

stores will cop 5-10 dozen at a time. if the design is hot and is moving or you have a variety of designs you can get repeat sales. the big store was copping 10 dozen every 2 weeks. phat gear was copping 10 dozen a month. the boonies was doing 5 dozen a month.

once i hit the road i unded up with 82 accounts from GA to CT out to MI

you want to target privately owned urban clothing stores. not the chain stores because they do their buying at the MAGIC SHOW. but you can get lucky and the owner/buyer may really want to carry your line. it happened to me a few times but it was mostly off reputation and the celebrity endorsements.when you got to that point with your success how did you keep it all managed? I'm assuming you're outsourcing the printing at this point, what about the shipping process?

Visionz
08-05-2008, 04:20 AM
celebrities....a big plus.
i got plugged because atl is chock full of rappers. so the store owner tells me one day a stylist buys a few shirts from him and dresses youngbloods in them for their rap city apearance.

she also was the stylist for Jeezy. so she called me and i did a custom shirt for the VMAs. she plugged me to the stylist of DTP. i dressed luda, players circle and field mob for various diff things. i think i am even in the DTP dvd.

but the easiest way to meet celebs is in the club when the are performing or appearing. free clothing can get you far in the club.

bring about 5 shirts .

one for the bouncer at the door. it won't get you in free but he will cut you slack with your movements, mostly to let you bring shirts and shit up in there.

one for the dj. introduce yourself give him a tee. the dj may shout you out or even introduce you to someone important. dj's here also on the radio so you never now. the dj may be the celeb you want to be plugged with.

of course hit the bartender off. duh.

then you have 2 left for either the owner or the celeb.

i found that if you approach a celeb like the are an ordinary dude or chick, and you are about your biz, not all drunk, you will get a suprisingly welcome respinse. but its all about timing and presentaion. when you see asn opening go for it. there will rarely be a time when they are alone or not doing something. just don't interrupt anything important.

i did this to KRS i was able to chill backstage with him and talk, blazed with ghost and trife , and had a drink with paul wall. they all gave me a lengthy convo and DIRECT CELL NUMBERS, mc serch was so cool he invited me to the radio station the next day and had me on the air. he was buggin over the shirts.

djs are the best free advertising you can get. plus they know everything thats going on in the city.i built relationships with atleast someone from every station in ATL.

loooooong story short...celebs give you credibility and have pull in terms of sales. if someone sees rapper X wearing it they will wanr it too.Austin has some worldwide attractions here, SxSW and the ACL bring people from all over the world. Have you ever messed around with international shipping? Just wondering if all of a sudden I get huge demand in Ireland or some shit.

The crowd is gonna be a different scene just cuz hip-hop don't thrive in Austin the same it does in Houston y'know. I'd have to take 10 in just to cover the five in the band :lmao: but I definetly feel you. Luda alone could probably sale a million shirts, I don't even feel like I'm exaggerating when I type that.

STYLE
08-05-2008, 04:33 AM
nope i had two cousins who i moved into my house. we did it all ourselves.
we worked around the clock and stopped to go out a night to network a the clubs and started working again around 3-4am.

then we went on the road packed the press in the car cancelled the utilities and dipped from relatives house to rel house all the way up 85/95 for 6 months.
we would research the city online find like 10 stores and go get orders.

press the orders get our money and hit the next city. each city was about 2 weeks but since my folks live in Bmore and theirs in New haven we stayed over a month in each actually almost 21/2 in CT cause we could hit newyork from there.

usually a store will buy for the season which may max out at 10 dozen. when they buy rocawear and shit they may only get 3-4 dz.

so it wasn't like we were pressing 82 orders at once. we had a rotating schedule.
we just went hard in atl cause at the time we had no other accounts and its home turf so we created the demand by going everywhere selling shirts.

we each had a job we were responsible for even tho we all played all roles. production, sales, design, and financials. i was resp. for design and sales. but i pressed shirts and balacened books when i was needed.

outside bars and clubs,
i have connects at the strip club and they let us sell in the spot.
weed spots
crackspots...dopeboy do nothing but spend money
walmart parking lot....we made like 250 in and 90 mins one day.

oh yeah girls sizes. get the babytees. girls wlll buy a nice shirt before a dude will.

oh yeah i used these giant ziplock weed bags to package the shirts. it keeps them clean folded and makes a nice presentation. you got to get them.
12x15 4mil polybags $24 for 100 $135 for 10000
it is so worth the money.

STYLE
08-05-2008, 04:43 AM
man if i could do it all over again i would be a multimillionaire off the teeshirt game. but all the lessons were learned the hard way.

you have to realize we did all this with zero help and zero knowledge.
thats what was so amazing. but we followed the metu in manifesting thought into reality.

and once we synched up spiritually it got scary cause we would were manifesting shit at a rapid pace. we actually slowed down on that shit cause if we lost focus we could bring harm to ourselves.

oh idk how i forgot this tidbit of info....

THE CLOTHING GAME IS MORE CUTTHROAT THAN THE DOPE GAME.

no joke. these mfs are shadey and shiesty. and are looking to rob you at every turn so keep yo fird eye open.

Visionz
08-05-2008, 05:04 AM
definitely keep that in mind, we talkin store owners or just absolutely everyone in general?

knowing what you know now is there anything you would've done different? I'm trying not to have another actual boss for the rest of my life in 5 years from now...........and the sooner the better

Are there any particualars kinds of print that where long-lasting outside of silkscreening. I know you got heat transfers but I'm not a big fan of the way that shit ages. It would be dope if you could take what you do with sigs and apply with something that works for shirts. It seems like silkscreen would be entirely too many color layers

STYLE
08-05-2008, 05:39 AM
there is dye sublimation which actually embedds the dy into the fabric,
dye sub lasts longer than silk and transfer.
i cost about $7 a shirt tho.

full color silk isn't that bad on price. but you are stuck with that one design.

the reason i like transfers is the scaleability and versatility. i can print out one or 1000 copies or print 1000 diff designs with no added prep cost. the transfers for white fabric actually soak in to the fabric opposed to the "sticker" kind for dark fabric.

but i also used gloss on top of my prints which made my my shit look like candy paint. they are sheets of paper with a silicone coating that you put ont op of your printed shirt, heat it and let cool then peel. you can use one sheet about 4 times.

there are also silskreen heat transfers that u order your designs and can press yourself. those are cool because you can put heat foil on top of that and have metalic screen print.

then there are rinestone patterns you can buy and heat press. or buy the individual stones and make your own designs or accent designs.

Visionz
08-05-2008, 05:47 AM
what approach did you take as far as branding was concerned? Did you have one consistent label or where you using multiple names? I've thought about doing a thing to develop different trademarks for different target audiences. In effect you pigeon hole a brand without really pigeon holing yourself. thoughts?

STYLE
08-05-2008, 05:52 AM
the things i would have done diff....

planned for huge success. all my moves were reactionary.

protected my designs ahead of time. i have fed copyrights now but when i need them
i was assed out.

paced myself when releasing new designs. i came out with 30 designs and now have about 60. i should have came out with 2 and released 2 every month or so. i'd still be releasing shit now.

anticipated the shaft.
store owners wll do shit like this:
complain about my price is too high after the 3rd round of buying.
i drop the price 50 cents a shirt.
then this fucker raises the retail price by 5 dollars.

or

order a bunch of shit then only want 1/2 the order when it's time to deliver.

oh...rule of thumb...shirt designs have a lifespan of 90 days once they are in the store.

STYLE
08-05-2008, 05:58 AM
what approach did you take as far as branding was concerned? Did you have one consistent label or where you using multiple names? I've thought about doing a thing to develop different trademarks for different target audiences. In effect you pigeon hole a brand without really pigeon holing yourself. thoughts?

bad idea. you want to be identified as THE source for your lines.
confusion can lead to missed sales. it would be better to be known for being diverse and having something for everybody.

pigeonholing is a problem you can worry about years later. if you are pigeonholed that means you have a name that is identified as being a certain kind of line. but you have to make a name for yourself 1st before anyone can even say "unseen clothing is that ghetto shit" right now you have no name to pigeonhole.

feel me?

Visionz
08-05-2008, 06:00 AM
what are you paying to get something copyrighted? and how much variation can there be on copyrighted material before its no longer protected? Say a character I might come up with for instance. If I'm using the same character but in a series of shirts where the background n' situation changes or whatever, do you have to apply for every variation or what?

Visionz
08-05-2008, 06:09 AM
bad idea. you want to be identified as THE source for your lines.
confusion can lead to missed sales. it would be better to be known for being diverse and having something for everybody.

pigeonholing is a problem you can worry about years later. if you are pigeonholed that means you have a name that is identified as being a certain kind of line. but you have to make a name for yourself 1st before anyone can even say "unseen clothing is that ghetto shit" right now you have no name to pigeonhole.

feel me?let me make sure I got that straight, go in under the one particular name but try to appeal to as broad a range as possible?

STYLE
08-05-2008, 06:11 AM
i paid one fee for as much as u could fit on a cd-r. my whole catalog. then copyright the disc

no more than $160-200

i filed them as parody since they were all using corp logos and mascots.

the lovely thing is that you get your own copyright lawyer for as long as you have the copyright. like a caseworker.

it takes 6 months from the time you get approved to the time you get your cert.

i don't know about the alteration. i know if you alter 33% or more of somebody elses shit its no loger protected. so i assume the same would apply to your own. but don't quote me.

STYLE
08-05-2008, 06:15 AM
let me make sure I got that straight, go in under the one particular name but try to appeal to as broad a range as possible?

you said you wanted to have diff lines for diff demogr.

so call one unseen urban
call the other unseen coture
call another unseen texmex lol idk
you get the picture.

jusy make sure you keep branding the umbrella name

phat farm/baby phat

nike- zoom, airmax, airforce, acg, shox

Visionz
08-05-2008, 06:15 AM
i paid one fee for as much as u could fit on a cd-r. my whole catalog. then copyright the disc

no more than $160-200

i filed them as parody since they were all using corp logos and mascots.

the lovely thing is that you get your own copyright lawyer for as long as you have the copyright. like a caseworker.

it takes 6 months from the time you get approved to the time you get your cert.

i don't know about the alteration. i know if you alter 33% or more of somebody elses shit its no loger protected. so i assume the same would apply to your own. but don't quote me.damn that's badass, hypothetically speaking, if 5 of your pictures aren't copyrightable for some reason does it still protect everything else on the disk?

STYLE
08-05-2008, 06:18 AM
it isn't ness. to have broad appeal. actually its usually best to specialize in one thing and focus all your energy into that.
you can dillute yourself by being diverse.

STYLE
08-05-2008, 06:19 AM
damn that's badass, hypothetically speaking, if 5 of your pictures aren't copyrightable for some reason does it still protect everything else on the disk?

no they will tell you design x y z is not acceptable and hyou have to re submit. but you'll know that early. the 6 months starts after you are aproved.

Visionz
08-05-2008, 06:21 AM
you said you wanted to have diff lines for diff demogr.

so call one unseen urban
call the other unseen coture
call another unseen texmex lol idk
you get the picture.

jusy make sure you keep branding the umbrella name

phat farm/baby phat

nike- zoom, airmax, airforce, acg, shoxGotcha :lmao: you gotta kill somebody to get into the tex-mex down here but yeah it makes sense in establishing the name

***edit thanks for buildin with me on this, I'll probably be droppin more questions in here as I go back through. I appreciate you sharing though fo'real. peace fam

WARPATH
08-05-2008, 10:45 AM
*takes notes*

*rubs hands together with a shit eating grin*

STYLE
08-06-2008, 06:27 AM
hey no prob E.
if you have any other questions just shoot.

this is officially a million dollar thread.

get it while you can.

V4D3R
08-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Really good thread.

Visionz
08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
oh yeah i used these giant ziplock weed bags to package the shirts. it keeps them clean folded and makes a nice presentation. you got to get them.
12x15 4mil polybags $24 for 100 $135 for 10000
it is so worth the money.is there a special link that you have for these or where they for real just giant ziplock bags?

the reason i like transfers is the scaleability and versatility. i can print out one or 1000 copies or print 1000 diff designs with no added prep cost. the transfers for white fabric actually soak in to the fabric opposed to the "sticker" kind for dark fabric.
with transfers, is there a certain brand that has better quality than others? Did you print 'em out yourself? and if so is there a certain printer that you can recommend. Toner ink can be a bitch if I'm having to turn around and buy more after every 20 shirts.

I've been researching things, I'm interested in the process of sublimation printing & I was wondering if you know if the process works well with cotton shirts or is polyester shirts a must at that point?

diggy
10-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Interesting knowledge here.

Hustlenomics 101