PDA

View Full Version : Gza/genius-pro Tools (2008) Review

Pages : [1] 2

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 03:13 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xi0icGvGYX8/SKM1uwF5LiI/AAAAAAAAAtw/Jxw5f1Tz2AY/s400/qqep09.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xi0icGvGYX8/SKM1uwF5LiI/AAAAAAAAAtw/Jxw5f1Tz2AY/s1600-h/qqep09.jpg)

01 00:52 Intromental
02 03:58 Pencil (featuring Masta Killa & RZA)
03 02:43 Alphabets
04 02:33 Groundbreaking (featuring Justice Kareem)
05 02:41 7 Pounds
06 04:20 0% Finance
07 04:05 Short Race (featuring Rock Marcy)
08 00:26 Interlude
09 02:48 Paper Plate
10 02:48 Columbian Ties (featuring True Master)
11 03:44 Firehouse (featuring Ka)
12 02:36 Path Of Destruction
13 03:00 Cinema (featuring Justice Kareem)
14 00:24 Intermission (Drive In Movie)
15 03:11 Life Is A Movie (featuring RZA & Khan-Acito Of Outlines)
16 04:01 Elastic Audio (Bonus Live Performance)

*so i've listen to 50% of the album the shit is amazingly dope i mean GZA goes in how he's gonna do and he killed 50 on Paper Plate and so far this album has a strong dope head nodder vibe. i think GZA energy is the same he had on Grandmasters. so far my favorte tracks are Paper Plate, Columbian Ties, Pencil, and Alphabets

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Indepth Review To Come Later

Jin10304
08-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Main problems are that 0% is a re-worked Stay In Line & Elastic Audio is a live 1112.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Main problems are that 0% is a re-worked Stay In Line & Elastic Audio is a live 1112.

agreed but 0 % is practically a new song with a reworked beat without the down beat that is in "Stay In Line" do the knowledge b4 u critticize

Jin10304
08-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Lol Ive done it, sounds pretty much the same only re-worked as I said. Harder drums on it, the guitar isnt as loud as Arabian Knights version, and the same horns are used in the backround.

Shaolin Bloody Sword
08-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Damn RZA killed it on "Pencil" ! Holy shit.... Im loving this album. Seriously im about to order a 2nd copy & give it as a gift.

SHAoLiN LoRD
08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
The record compaines is looking at the many web forums and compiling lists of illegal download activity. They create massive lists and then take action. They share information,.

I know someone who handles this for a major label.

I tried to warn you.

I tried to warn you all. but it may be too late.

Dont worry, they probably will believe that you only downloaded it and your buying the album later.

DUMBO
08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
thanks for looking out for my interests.

Luz
08-13-2008, 04:02 PM
The record compaines is looking at the many web forums and compiling lists of illegal download activity. They create massive lists and then take action. They share information,.

I know someone who handles this for a major label.

I tried to warn you.

I tried to warn you all. but it may be too late.

Dont worry, they probably will believe that you only downloaded it and your buying the album later.

You need to read the Constitution a little better.

Shaolin Bloody Sword
08-13-2008, 04:08 PM
I hope "Firehouse" isn't censored on the retail !!!! Has anybody noticed that GZA doesn't really cuss anymore? I hope they dont make the same mistakes they did with "Legend of The Liquid Swords".

Wu-Tang Gambino
08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
I hope "Firehouse" isn't censored on the retail !!!! Has anybody noticed that GZA doesn't really cuss anymore? I hope they dont make the same mistakes they did with "Legend of The Liquid Swords".

That's one purpose. I think GZA is showing he doesn't have to cuss. I do think it is pointless to censor it thought if you are gonna do it like you said.

Shaolin Bloody Sword
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
RZA is "Bobby Digital" & "Bobby Steels" at the same time on "Pencil". He murdered this track.... He outshined GZA & Masta Killa on it. Sort of like "Cappadonna" outshining everybody on Winter Warz.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 04:29 PM
RZA is "Bobby Digital" & "Bobby Steels" at the same time on "Pencil". He murdered this track.... He outshined GZA & Masta Killa on it. Sort of like "Cappadonna" outshining everybody on Winter Warz.

he did i'm right now loving this album haven't even listen to ice cube's raw footage yet cuz the gza is so sick with the pyroclastic flow

Jin10304
08-13-2008, 04:36 PM

Took the words outta my mouth, when he spat I was thinking "Damn this is almost as long as Cap's Winter Warz shit!". It reminded me of, I think it was a track not sure if it was a skit, of MF Doom as Viktor Vaughn on Vaudeville Villain 2 "Doom On Vik" where the same rappers raps using different identities

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 04:57 PM

Took the words outta my mouth, when he spat I was thinking "Damn this is almost as long as Cap's Winter Warz shit!". It reminded me of, I think it was a track not sure if it was a skit, of MF Doom as Viktor Vaughn on Vaudeville Villain 2 "Doom On Vik" where the same rappers raps using different identities

it's a dope track i think GZA did his thing too

Jin10304
08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Hmmm....although its a good track, GZA does not rap on Firehouse, only the chorus. Its basically Ka's song, reminds me of Rough Cut how GZA only did the chorus. WTF IS FIREHOUSE EDITED?

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Hmmm....although its a good track, GZA does not rap on Firehouse, only the chorus. Its basically Ka's song, reminds me of Rough Cut how GZA only did the chorus. WTF IS FIREHOUSE EDITED?

the whole album is editted why you think there ain't no PA symbol on it son

Jin10304
08-13-2008, 05:03 PM
I was thinking they would add that when the album was in stores

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 05:18 PM
I was thinking they would add that when the album was in stores

were gonna be a llswd type of album that has been updated

GRANDSON OF ABRAHAM
08-13-2008, 05:24 PM
lol at the old ch 5 saturday afternoon drive in movie interlude on track 14. that shit takes a brother back. classic

DUMBO
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
^white poster alert.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 06:34 PM
^white poster alert.

omg wtf lol

Maccabee Ridah
08-13-2008, 06:36 PM
GZA is so fresh on this one! His flow is way too better than I have expected, so my expectations r now really high! Can't wait to the release date! :)

Erquel
08-13-2008, 06:58 PM
freaking great
1st listen from start to finish in headphones - BANGA
can't wait to hear it loud in speakers

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 07:58 PM
GZA is so fresh on this one! His flow is way too better than I have expected, so my expectations r now really high! Can't wait to the release date! :)

gza seem very at home with the production the only track i hate 4 obvious reasons is firehouse gza shoulda did that track other than that it's a solid 4 out 5 stars of an album

Jin10304
08-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Cinema IMO is like Luminal Part II for me, dark story telling and skeletal beat

Jin10304
08-13-2008, 10:43 PM
After my 3rd listen, like someone else stated, Pro Tools really does feel like an updated but iller version Legend Of The Liquid Sword...

* Cinema/Luminal=Dark tracks about murder
* Both edited for cursing (only I noticed Elastic Audio & Firehouse thats it)
* Uses some of the same producers from LOTLS (RZA, Math, Knight, I think Jay Waxx as well)
* Pencil being in the vein of Fam Members Only (GZA MK RZA on a Math beat)
* Stay In Line on LOTLS and the re-worked beat on 0% Finance
* Both have a song where GZA does not rap, strictly chorus (Rough Cut & Firehouse)

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 11:00 PM
were gonna be a llswd type of album that has been updated

After my 3rd listen, like someone else stated, Pro Tools really does feel like an updated but iller version Legend Of The Liquid Sword...

* Cinema/Luminal=Dark tracks about murder
* Both edited for cursing (only I noticed Elastic Audio & Firehouse thats it)
* Uses some of the same producers from LOTLS (RZA, Math, Knight, I think Jay Waxx as well)
* Pencil being in the vein of Fam Members Only (GZA MK RZA on a Math beat)
* Stay In Line on LOTLS and the re-worked beat on 0% Finance
* Both have a song where GZA does not rap, strictly chorus (Rough Cut & Firehouse)

i think basically i think because llswd worked i think he went with it and updated the formula shit is still tight

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-13-2008, 11:07 PM
my favorite song on pro tools are:

Life is A Movie
Pencil
0% Finance
Paper Plate
Path of Destruction

11th Chamber
08-13-2008, 11:11 PM
It reminded me of, I think it was a track not sure if it was a skit, of MF Doom as Viktor Vaughn on Vaudeville Villain 2 "Doom On Vik" where the same rappers raps using different identities

yea DOOM done that on a few albums. Rapped as Geedorah on Operation Doomsday, spoke as DOOM on Vik album, rapped as DOOM on Geedorah album twice, and played Vik rappin about DOOM on Fancy Clown from Madvillainy

Wu-Tang Gambino
08-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Greatness. The GZA continues to spit pure dope. My favorite emcee of all-time doesn't disappoint at all.

Hollow Dartz
08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Poll.

sakk
08-13-2008, 11:50 PM
This is the first I have heard of this album.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
08-13-2008, 11:57 PM
he did i'm right now loving this album haven't even listen to ice cube's raw footage yet cuz the gza is so sick with the pyroclastic flow

lol...I have not even unzipped that ice cube yet................been listening to GZA all day since like 3:00 pm

IronFingaz7
08-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Yo, this shit is fucking bonkers! I'm loving this shit.GZA came with it hardbody. Pencil makes me want to smack the shit out of someone, lol.

P.E.A.C.E.

Ritter
08-14-2008, 02:09 AM
GZA - Pro Tools

GZA tore shit up with this one, this matched the expectations I got after listening to the albums first official single, Alphabets. A little remark, some songs are just plain, too short. I am disappointed I didn't hear a verse from True Master, or at least another verse from GZA on Columbian Ties. All in all, this album is more than worth copping. It's worth copping three times, one for bumping, one for framing and hanging on the wall, and one left wrapped in plastic. Some might find my review too "soft" with too high scores, but fuck it, this ain't nothing professional. This is just a 15-year-old kid enjoying an album. You'll get a top-notch review from Hollow,Sheepish,claaa7,brock,the silencer and others... Peace to y'all.

1. Intromental (Unrated)

A nice intro for things to come, musically. With RZA shouting out GZA/Genius at some points, this really gets you in a relaxed mood... but...

2. Pencil ft Masta Killa & RZA (4/5)

A certified Wu-Banga, with a sick Allah Maths beat with a creepy-ass sample. GZA comes sick, a nice MK verse, but RZA is on some next level shit. He destroyes everything. A great verse, that trademarks this track.

3. Alphabets (5/5)

What Can I say? A sick True Master looped beat (All I need is a beat, with a continous loop, and a live vibe that hypnotize like a flute), and GZA's flow is on point. Great delivery that matches the beat, and the lyrics are vintage. With a classic chorus that gets every letter of the alphabet covered... in style "Y, Zig-Zag-Zig... and now I'm back home". Classic track. I'll be bumping this in front of my kids proudly in 10-15 years.

4. Groundbreaking feat Justice Kareem (4/5)

It looks like Bronze Nazareth is the hottest producer in the hip hop game right now. Everything he produced lately takes down the wall. A storytelling first verse from the Genius, followed by a familiar chorus "We roll together as one, I call my brother son, cuz he shine like one". The second verse is pretty strong, but he's joined by his son Young Justice that has some nice lines, but nothing Groundbreaking.

5. 7 Pounds (4/5)

Banger. A sick intro by Preservation, and a great beat produced by Black Milk. GZA comes true on this, with his flow/delivery matching the beat perfectly. A crazy-ass sample and nice old-school raps. Takes you back. A great joint.

6. 0% Finance (4.5/5)

This is near-classic. The much-discussed re-used Stay In Line beat is very enjoyable, and I'll regard it as an authentic beat. Classic GZA flow, a little sleepy delivery and mindblowing lyrics. Reminiscent of Queens Gambit, the storytelling lyrics with incorporated car names, simply blow you away. "Took her of the showroom floor, no money down"

7. Short Race (4/5)

A nice Arabian Knight beat laced with guitars in the background. GZA's delivery is too sleepy on this one, but the storytelling lyrics make up for it to some point. A good verse from Rock Marciano, with a real enjoyable chorus from the cat. A real slept on rapper. I slept on him too. This woke me up.

8. Interlude (Unrated)

A cut from an 8 Diagrams interview that grips the topic of the massiveness of the Wu-Tang Clan. An interlude that immediately sears into...

9. Paper Plates (4.5/5)

Already discussed. A diss to an industry giant, 50 Cent. Calling his art "disposable" like a Paper Plate in the title... GZA goes on a lyrical rampage here. With a simple RZA beat, a very simple RZA beat, intended to emphasize the lyrics, although the lyrics are followed by a somewhat sleepy delivery. GZA is destroying 50 Cent on this one. In the same time he reminds 50 about a lot of flaws in his career, but at the same time touches the classics, and touches the masiveness of the Clan. All with vintage lyrics.

10. Columbian Ties feat True Master (5/5)

Classic joint. Nothing less than classic about it. A great hook from True Master (In his own iniquity he dies, through Columbian Ties), great jabs from the GZA, with a Bronze Nazareth beat that perfectly matches the "killing" vibe of the track. This shares Alphabets' spot as the favorite cut on the album. The only flaw is that it is too short, as I mentioned in the introduction to the review.

11. Firehouse feat Ka (3/5)

3 nice verses from an unknown cat Ka, with an enjoyable hook from GZA. The nice vibe of the track is focused by the nice Rock Marciano beat. This is just that chill track. Nothing special about it.

12. Path Of Destruction (4/5)

A great beat, a trademark of the famous producer... erm... Jay Waxx Garfield. Sorry, but I never heard of this cat. Anyway, the beat is very enjoyable, that follows the storytelling about a young criminal. A very enjoyable track, nothing less than what I expected at this point of the album.

13. Cinema feat Justice Kareem (3.5/5)

With GZA's creepy whispering over an Arabian Knight beat, this gives you the chills. Again... storytelling lyrics. A hook from his son, that you can't hear unless you turn your volume the fuck up. Great cut, I'd listen to this only after 11 P.M. because of it's real creppy night vibe. GZA's flow is on point here, with a great delivery.

14. Intermission (Unrated)

A nice break that relieves you of those chills you got from Cinema. Nice shit, for real.

15. Life Is a Movie feat RZA & Khan-Acito (3.5/5)

Nice to hear RZA & GZA sharing a beat alone. Well, with this cat Khan-Acito too, but that doesn't count. A beat that marks RZA's recent musical evolution. A nice beat, but could be better. With the nice lyrics both from GZA/Genius and Bobby Digitech, this is a good song that isn't amongst my favorite cuts.

16. Elastic Audio (Live Performance) (4/5)

1112 beat. In GZA's words "There's always something about this beat right here, Dreddy". And for real, this beat is monstrous and this whole song is a banger. But the lyrics last too short (Over the beat), with GZA's delivery being very very energetic. The only flaw about this, is the censure of the curses. "My Wu-Tang wwwp ain't nuthin to wwwwp with". The second part of this, and the ending of the album, is his second verse off General Principles from his DJ Muggs collabo Grandmasters.

Overall

53/65 = 4.1/5

Although I'm giving this album a 4.5/5.

PEACE

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-14-2008, 04:09 AM
I find it funny that people are surprised to see a track that GZA doesn't spit a verse on. Have you not noticed that he's had a track showcasing others on every single album except Grandmasters?

I haven't heard this yet, so I'll drop my thoughts on the album later.

Meanwhile, JIVE Magazine gave it 5/5. Here's their review:

http://www.jivemagazine.com/review.php?rid=3113

Jin10304
08-14-2008, 04:23 AM
I find it funny that people are surprised to see a track that GZA doesn't spit a verse on. Have you not noticed that he's had a track showcasing others on every single album except Grandmasters AND Words From The Genius FIXED?

Ive noticed it before, I still dont get though WHY he keeps doing, if Im going to pay for GZA album, I want GZA. not Priest, Darkman, P-Sun or Ka.

Liquid Swords (Killah Priest)
Beneath The Suface (La The Darkman, Timbo King, Sunz Of Man & Trigga)
Legend Of The Liquid Sword (Armel & Two On Da Road)
Pro Tools (Ka)

Thats wasted GZA space

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-14-2008, 04:26 AM
Well if he hadn't put those tracks on, all the albums would have most likely been one track shorter, so you're not losing out on any GZA. Are you saying you wish Feel Like An Enemy hadn't been released?

Jin10304
08-14-2008, 04:32 AM
Well if he hadn't put those tracks on, all the albums would have most likely been one track shorter, so you're not losing out on any GZA.

Okay, example...Liquid Swords is a total of 13 tracks. 12 by GZA, 1 by Priest. Why not just GIVE Priest that song for his solo JUST like he did on Heavy Mental. Your telling me GZA couldnt just record a 13th song by himself over a RZA back in 95? Same thing for Feel Like An Enemy, save it for a Sunz Of Man album. Its still wasted GZA space.

Are you saying you wish Feel Like An Enemy hadn't been released?

Didnt say that, just released on its correct artist's album.

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-14-2008, 04:38 AM
My point is that I imagine GZA finished the album, then picked a track to add as a bonus. He wouldn't have done another solo track if they hadn't been included. Think about it, what if he'd thought that and added another solo trac kto make up for it, how would you know? Why not keep adding tracks til the album is 79 mins long?

He's always wanted to give some shine to others around him, and I can't fault him on that.

Erquel
08-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Well if he hadn't put those tracks on, all the albums would have most likely been one track shorter, so you're not losing out on any GZA.

Okay, example...Liquid Swords is a total of 13 tracks. 12 by GZA, 1 by Priest. Why not just GIVE Priest that song for his solo JUST like he did on Heavy Mental. Your telling me GZA couldnt just record a 13th song by himself over a RZA back in 95? Same thing for Feel Like An Enemy, save it for a Sunz Of Man album. Its still wasted GZA space.

Are you saying you wish Feel Like An Enemy hadn't been released?

Didnt say that, just released on its correct artist's album.

this way these artists got more notice
BIBLE basically started KP's career
it's a nice way of introducing new bees(-Ka) to the listeners
if GZA thinks that they deserve a solo track on his album than it means something and we should appreciate it

hide1998
08-14-2008, 04:50 AM
if GZA thinks that they deserve a solo track on his album than it means something and we should appreciate it

Exactly:thumbup:

Jin10304
08-14-2008, 04:59 AM

Naw Priest first got noticed for his verses on the GRAVEDIGGAZ, plus his contributions to ODB's first album. He was already introduced before Liquid Swords was even out AND he was 4th Chamber, thats enough exposure already. As for the rest of the Killa Beez, SAVE THEM FOR THE KILLA BEEZ ALBUM, whats it any different having Rough Cut, BTS Outro, Feel Like An Enemy, hell even BIBLE if they were included on The Swarm or The Sting? Of future compilations. THAT was the purpose of the Killa Beez albums, exposure on thier own time, not the generals

Erquel
08-14-2008, 05:38 AM
cocaine is bad for your brain

Erquel
08-14-2008, 05:45 AM
i have a perfect idea for you
make Liquid Swords status album yourself and then decide which tracks to put on it

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-14-2008, 06:16 AM
this album is sharp dart man GZA goes in as best as we could have hoped for

claaa7
08-14-2008, 06:35 AM
just listened through it, this shit is better than I expected; liking it more than Legend of The Liquid Sword. GZA's flow is a bit improved from some of the other shit he dropped in the last years but it ain't '95 and will never be again.. production is on point throughout, the genius never had a problem with choosing beats ("come do me" was 18 years ago so i'll give him a pass)... this might grow more on me or sound less good after more spins, i don't know but on first listen it's a solid release...

8/10

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-14-2008, 07:37 AM
just listened through it, this shit is better than I expected; liking it more than Legend of The Liquid Sword. GZA's flow is a bit improved from some of the other shit he dropped in the last years but it ain't '95 and will never be again.. production is on point throughout, the genius never had a problem with choosing beats ("come do me" was 18 years ago so i'll give him a pass)... this might grow more on me or sound less good after more spins, i don't know but on first listen it's a solid release...

8/10

i'll put it like this album is a solid 4 out of 5 stars or 8 1/2 out of 10 taking some points off for screwing up a track like firehouse that shoulda been GZA's

Ritter
08-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Check my review on page 3. I dropped my thoughts on every song.

100pr00f
08-14-2008, 07:40 AM
i say ts a banger...based on the beats and the lyrics

the flow is ok

wish he gave it more attitude

Jin10304
08-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Was RZA rapping as Bobby Steels in Life Is A Movie?

TAURO
08-14-2008, 09:19 AM
I think people are too hyped up right now to actually give it a proper review, so far im not blown away by it but it's far too early for me to drop my definitive opinion. 4/5 reviews?.....let it sink in first people.

claaa7
08-14-2008, 09:38 AM
^^ it ain't fair to review the album at first listen but the first judgement is always important, and we can already agree that it's not a wack album.. this review thread will document how peeps will change there opinion from first listen to 20:th and so on.

TAURO
08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
yes it's definately not a wack album.

CYENCE
08-14-2008, 11:03 AM
"Firehouse" sounds just like a Mobb Deep track, Ka sound just like Twin

Ritter
08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
I feel where you're coming from Tauro and claaa7, but as I said, it's just me enjoying the album.

I'll give it a few more listens, and edit the review if I change my opinion.

PEACE to both.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
08-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I dont know guys I am on my 10th listen and I have not skipped a track yet.....I am loving this joint reminds me of the feeling I got when the first wave of Wu records came out...maybe cause I am older and I thirst for quality Hip Hop and this is so refreshing from the norm out there.

IronFingaz7
08-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I dont know guys I am on my 10th listen and I have not skipped a track yet.....I am loving this joint reminds me of the feeling I got when the first wave of Wu records came out...maybe cause I am older and I thirst for quality Hip Hop and this is so refreshing from the norm out there.

I feel the same exact way, I'm still banging every track.

P.E.A.C.E.

deeznutz1981
08-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I find it funny that people are surprised to see a track that GZA doesn't spit a verse on. Have you not noticed that he's had a track showcasing others on every single album except Grandmasters AND Words From The Genius FIXED?

Ive noticed it before, I still dont get though WHY he keeps doing, if Im going to pay for GZA album, I want GZA. not Priest, Darkman, P-Sun or Ka.

Liquid Swords (Killah Priest)
Beneath The Suface (La The Darkman, Timbo King, Sunz Of Man & Trigga)
Legend Of The Liquid Sword (Armel & Two On Da Road)
Pro Tools (Ka)

Thats wasted GZA space

oh and you forgot to mention how Wisdom Body and Faster Blade were also wastes of Raekwon and Ghostface space. use your head next time you post.

IronFingaz7
08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Don't forget Assassination Day or Terrorists.

P.E.A.C.E.

Ritter
08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Terrorists was solid imo. Surely not a waste of space.

But saying B.I.B.L.E. is a waste of time on a GZA cd?

C'mon man, that's one of the greatest hip-hop tracks ever made.

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
I do think BIBLE on Heavy Mental was kind of a waste of time. How many people out there were gonna buy Heavy Mental that didn't own Liquid Swords already?

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-14-2008, 03:47 PM
GZA - Pro Tools

GZA tore shit up with this one, this matched the expectations I got after listening to the albums first official single, Alphabets. A little remark, some songs are just plain, too short. I am disappointed I didn't hear a verse from True Master, or at least another verse from GZA on Columbian Ties. All in all, this album is more than worth copping. It's worth copping three times, one for bumping, one for framing and hanging on the wall, and one left wrapped in plastic. Some might find my review too "soft" with too high scores, but fuck it, this ain't nothing professional. This is just a 15-year-old kid enjoying an album. You'll get a top-notch review from Hollow,Sheepish,claaa7,brock,the silencer and others... Peace to y'all.

1. Intromental (Unrated)

A nice intro for things to come, musically. With RZA shouting out GZA/Genius at some points, this really gets you in a relaxed mood... but...

A certified Wu-Banga, with a sick Allah Maths beat with a creepy-ass sample. GZA comes sick, a nice MK verse, but RZA is on some next level shit. He destroyes everything. A great verse, that trademarks this track.

3. Alphabets (5/5)

What Can I say? A sick True Master looped beat (All I need is a beat, with a continous loop, and a live vibe that hypnotize like a flute), and GZA's flow is on point. Great delivery that matches the beat, and the lyrics are vintage. With a classic chorus that gets every letter of the alphabet covered... in style "Y, Zig-Zag-Zig... and now I'm back home". Classic track. I'll be bumping this in front of my kids proudly in 10-15 years.

It looks like Bronze Nazareth is the hottest producer in the hip hop game right now. Everything he produced lately takes down the wall. A storytelling first verse from the Genius, followed by a familiar chorus "We roll together as one, I call my brother son, cuz he shine like one". The second verse is pretty strong, but he's joined by his son Young Justice that has some nice lines, but nothing Groundbreaking.

5. 7 Pounds (4/5)

Banger. A sick intro by Preservation, and a great beat produced by Black Milk. GZA comes true on this, with his flow/delivery matching the beat perfectly. A crazy-ass sample and nice old-school raps. Takes you back. A great joint.

6. 0% Finance (4.5/5)

This is near-classic. The much-discussed re-used Stay In Line beat is very enjoyable, and I'll regard it as an authentic beat. Classic GZA flow, a little sleepy delivery and mindblowing lyrics. Reminiscent of Queens Gambit, the storytelling lyrics with incorporated car names, simply blow you away. "Took her of the showroom floor, no money down"

7. Short Race (4/5)

A nice Arabian Knight beat laced with guitars in the background. GZA's delivery is too sleepy on this one, but the storytelling lyrics make up for it to some point. A good verse from Rock Marciano, with a real enjoyable chorus from the cat. A real slept on rapper. I slept on him too. This woke me up.

8. Interlude (Unrated)

A cut from an 8 Diagrams interview that grips the topic of the massiveness of the Wu-Tang Clan. An interlude that immediately sears into...

9. Paper Plates (4.5/5)

Already discussed. A diss to an industry giant, 50 Cent. Calling his art "disposable" like a Paper Plate in the title... GZA goes on a lyrical rampage here. With a simple RZA beat, a very simple RZA beat, intended to emphasize the lyrics, although the lyrics are followed by a somewhat sleepy delivery. GZA is destroying 50 Cent on this one. In the same time he reminds 50 about a lot of flaws in his career, but at the same time touches the classics, and touches the masiveness of the Clan. All with vintage lyrics.

Classic joint. Nothing less than classic about it. A great hook from True Master (In his own iniquity he dies, through Columbian Ties), great jabs from the GZA, with a Bronze Nazareth beat that perfectly matches the "killing" vibe of the track. This shares Alphabets' spot as the favorite cut on the album. The only flaw is that it is too short, as I mentioned in the introduction to the review.

3 nice verses from an unknown cat Ka, with an enjoyable hook from GZA. The nice vibe of the track is focused by the nice Rock Marciano beat. This is just that chill track. Nothing special about it.

A great beat, a trademark of the famous producer... erm... Jay Waxx Garfield. Sorry, but I never heard of this cat. Anyway, the beat is very enjoyable, that follows the storytelling about a young criminal. A very enjoyable track, nothing less than what I expected at this point of the album.

With GZA's creepy whispering over an Arabian Knight beat, this gives you the chills. Again... storytelling lyrics. A hook from his son, that you can't hear unless you turn your volume the fuck up. Great cut, I'd listen to this only after 11 P.M. because of it's real creppy night vibe. GZA's flow is on point here, with a great delivery.

A nice break that relieves you of those chills you got from Cinema. Nice shit, for real.

Nice to hear RZA & GZA sharing a beat alone. Well, with this cat Khan-Acito too, but that doesn't count. A beat that marks RZA's recent musical evolution. A nice beat, but could be better. With the nice lyrics both from GZA/Genius and Bobby Digitech, this is a good song that isn't amongst my favorite cuts.

1112 beat. In GZA's words "There's always something about this beat right here, Dreddy". And for real, this beat is monstrous and this whole song is a banger. But the lyrics last too short (Over the beat), with GZA's delivery being very very energetic. The only flaw about this, is the censure of the curses. "My Wu-Tang wwwp ain't nuthin to wwwwp with". The second part of this, and the ending of the album, is his second verse off General Principles from his DJ Muggs collabo Grandmasters.

Overall

53/65 = 4.1/5

PEACE

i agree i'll write a review later

BronzearmzNYC
08-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Introducing , Ka? Wow, I thought that was Twin Gambino from Infamous Mobb.

claaa7
08-14-2008, 04:18 PM
^^ hell yeah, i was thinking the same... "Firehouse" is fucking fire and GZA's chorus is definitely rite, one of my fav. beats on the album after first listen!

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
^^ hell yeah, i was thinking the same... "Firehouse" is fucking fire and GZA's chorus is definitely rite, one of my fav. beats on the album after first listen!

that's the only that peeves me about this album

beautifulrock
08-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh man I can't wait to review this

Konii blaze
08-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Firehouse is the best track of the album

Suga Duga
08-14-2008, 05:04 PM

not you again

Konii blaze
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
héhé you mad?

portis24
08-14-2008, 05:45 PM

it's not even in my top 5

Jin10304
08-14-2008, 06:43 PM
oh and you forgot to mention how Wisdom Body and Faster Blade were also wastes of Raekwon and Ghostface space. use your head next time you post.

Umm yeah I did use my head, still wasted GFK & Raekwon space, I stick to my opinion.

Wisdom Body=Should of saved it for IRONMAN, could of been another Raekwon solo
Faster Blade=Could of saved it for another Rae solo or a Wu-Tang Forever solo
Assassination Day=Although dope, clearly a posse cut belonging on Wu-Tang Forever
Terrorrists=Could of been on Dirty Weaponry feat Black Knights

WASTE OF SPACE, dont give a fuck if you dont agree with me

clanindafront
08-14-2008, 07:59 PM
great album

definatley superior

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-14-2008, 08:03 PM

Umm yeah I did use my head, still wasted GFK & Raekwon space, I stick to my opinion.

Assassination Day=Although dope, clearly a posse cut belonging on Wu-Tang Forever

i respect ur opinion but ur wrong homie

Jin10304
08-14-2008, 08:33 PM
i respect ur opinion but ur wrong homie

There is no wrong/right in an opinion homie, its OPEN ENDED

deeznutz1981
08-14-2008, 08:43 PM

WOW i cant believe i just read that. are you ok?

Misery
08-14-2008, 09:33 PM
listenin to it now, and its dope....da beats are straight bangin. dont even have to say how dope da rhymes are. imma be on this for a minute, my favorite all-time MC came through AGAIN!!

Jin10304
08-14-2008, 09:43 PM
WOW i cant believe i just read that. are you ok?

I never KNOCKED any of the songs or their quality, just thier placement on some albums, thats all, continuing with the Pro Tools reviews

Wu-Tang Gambino
08-14-2008, 10:14 PM
I'll just copy & paste my review from RW http://www.rapworlds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127476 :

Pencils is a certified Wu Banger. RZA actually stole the show though but GZA had a great verse.

Alphabets is still my favorite cut. Rhymes are great and the chorus is class.

Groundbreaking is also dope. I thought Justice would get a full verse but I likedd the back n forth between him & GZA.

7 Pounds was amazing. GZA and Black Milk should definitely continue to work together.

0% Finance is GZA at his best. I'm glad the beat was different. The car theme is dope. GZA just spits pure greatness for 3 plus minutesRight along w/ his best theme tracks like Labels, Fame, Queen's Gambit, etc.

Short Race also dope. Rock Marciano with a good hook and a good verse but GZA shines on the track.

Paper Plate has been out obviously, great diss record from the Genius.

Columbian Ties is another Wu Banger, this time from Bronze Nazareth. Only one verse from GZA but it is class.

Firehouse was a good track but it made no sense. It was basically a Ka solo track w/ GZA doing the chorus. I guess this is like his other solos where he always gives one track to another emcee.

Path of Destruction gets back to the show that is GZA spitting and it doesn't disappoint.

Cinema was a good concept song. Justice with the whispered hook is dope.

Life is a Movie works and I didn't think it would after the first listen. Beat seems like a preview of RZA's Achozen project. GZA laces it.

In the end, this album has great production but it is always about the lyrics. GZA spits some of his best on this album. This right there w/ Grandmasters to me. Definitely up for debate whether it or Grandmasters is his second best album.

My favorite line from the entire album: Me to hip hop, what Einstein is to science, match made in heaven, mostly likely an alliance. Line pretty much sums up the genius that is the GZA.

Montreal_Method
08-15-2008, 07:13 AM
This Album is Dope !
Gza Still Doing is shit =)

WuSoldjr
08-15-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm on 0% Finance right now, so far this album is knockin'

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm On My 5th Bumpage Of This Album In A Few Days It's That Dope And Very Infectious Plus I Think Gza Is Prolly One Of The Few Wu Members Next To Ghost To Stay Consistant

oDoUoSoKo
08-15-2008, 09:40 PM
lyrically...he waxed every rappers ass this year...but in terms of flow...he sounds sleepier than Rae after twinkies and dust.

oDoUoSoKo
08-15-2008, 09:46 PM
LMAO flow like im 21...yea 21 seconds from death.

oDoUoSoKo
08-15-2008, 09:48 PM
honestly, its seems the prob is also the quality of the vocal production..because Columbian Ties is fuckin sick...

oDoUoSoKo
08-15-2008, 09:52 PM
life is a movie...!!!

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-15-2008, 11:08 PM
damn this album is nice

Ritter
08-16-2008, 02:13 AM
Almost every member's latest album is worse than the one before (-Method Man, Tical 0 was so wack...).

Now GZA made an album better than any latest Wu release.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Almost every member's latest album is worse than the one before (-Method Man, Tical 0 was so wack...).

Now GZA made an album better than any latest Wu release.

Tical 0 wasn't that bad but it was a def jam decision to put the features, etc. and i remember an interview Mef wasn't happy with getting some of the RZA tracks cut and they were gonna sue for not honoring Mef contract which says "if method man's album (previous) goes gold or better RZA has the right to executive produce Mef's album" but they didn't sue i guess certain memembers like ODB had this too in his contract i dunno but yeah GZA album is better than Digi Snax and is i think or has been consistent as Ghost when it comes to releasing dope music

The Hound
08-16-2008, 02:41 AM
GZA is making me fall asleep with his shitty flow on 0% Finance ...

Ritter
08-16-2008, 02:49 AM
Tical 0 wasn't that bad but it was a def jam decision to put the features, etc. and i remember an interview Mef wasn't happy with getting some of the RZA tracks cut and they were gonna sue for not honoring Mef contract which says "if method man's album (previous) goes gold or better RZA has the right to executive produce Mef's album" but they didn't sue i guess certain memembers like ODB had this too in his contract i dunno but yeah GZA album is better than Digi Snax and is i think or has been consistent as Ghost when it comes to releasing dope music

I read that somewhere, that's a bitch.

I think GZA is the most consistent, when you see GZA's last 3 albums (Grandmasters, Pro Tools, Legend Of The Liquid Sword), and Ghosts last 3 albums (Fishscale, More Fish, Big Doe Rehab), for me, GZA's are far more impressieve. You see a decline in quality with Ghost, but with GZA, it's always been peaches & cream.

The Hound
08-16-2008, 02:57 AM
LOL @ saying ghostface decline's in quality ... coming from a dude who rates 8 diagrams 9/10

Jin10304
08-16-2008, 03:03 AM
So Fishscale to More Fish ISNT a decline?

Ritter
08-16-2008, 03:11 AM
LOL @ saying ghostface decline's in quality ... coming from a dude who rates 8 diagrams 9/10

So ignore my opinion.

It is a decline in quality

Fishscale >>>> More Fish = (Or maybe >) Big Doe Rehab

It's just opinion. Oh and you can add

*Coming from a dude who thinks Big Doe Rehab has no real stand outs*

neiltat
08-16-2008, 04:51 AM
0% finance what a beat I'm doing some Lewis Hamilton shit driving along to this

Twilights_Own
08-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah, that beat is ridiculous

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-16-2008, 03:33 PM
So ignore my opinion.

It is a decline in quality

Fishscale >>>> More Fish = (Or maybe >) Big Doe Rehab

It's just opinion. Oh and you can add

*Coming from a dude who thinks Big Doe Rehab has no real stand outs*

sorry bro i disagree homes "Paisley Darts", "Rec Room Therapy", "Toney Sigel", "Yolanda's House", "Yapp City" (yeah even though the beat was jacked from Bis),etc. i love this album so to each is own my friend

DR. NICK RIVIERA
08-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I think GZA's daughter just may be one of the most promising rappers...

Ritter
08-16-2008, 03:45 PM
sorry bro i disagree homes "Paisley Darts", "Rec Room Therapy", "Toney Sigel", "Yolanda's House", "Yapp City" (yeah even though the beat was jacked from Bis),etc. i love this album so to each is own my friend

I know bro. A lot of cats love the songs you mentioned. But I just can't seem to get into them. Toney Sigel is cool though. To each his own, I'm not gonna bash anyones opinion here.

That's not Shizzah.

HANZO
08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
aint listen to it all yet. jus a few tracks, gotta say that its pretty good. im gonna give it about a week of listening to it before i can give a propa evaluation of the album.

TSA
08-16-2008, 04:56 PM
^co-sign, but i said superior anyways

theres songs i don't visit now but others im stuck on like shit on stink
like Pencil, that's a fuckin wu BANGER, lyrically its the gza, so i ain't gotta say shit.
the beats have impressed the shit out of me, some tempo from wu, when are they gonna learn they do best with energy!?

the only flaw is sometimes Gza sounds like a weakling, but even when he's doing that his lyrics are so nasty they won't put him on cable tv

Prince Rai
08-16-2008, 05:10 PM
im impressed from what ive heard, but HAN-like, i have to listen to the whole thing a few times, swallow the lyrics, feel the beats, sleep on it and then give my views.

TAURO
08-16-2008, 05:39 PM
On second listen I liked it more than the first time. Good sign.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
08-16-2008, 05:41 PM
11. Firehouse Feat. Ka
Produced by: Rock Marcy

whoa!!!!!!

you guys know that this is the same Roc Marciano from Flipmode Squad....

well this is good that he got his shine finally

num2son
08-16-2008, 06:06 PM
The whole album is dope, gza does not disapoints.

8.5/10, nice

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-16-2008, 06:37 PM
11. Firehouse Feat. Ka
Produced by: Rock Marcy

whoa!!!!!!

you guys know that this is the same Roc Marciano from Flipmode Squad....

well this is good that he got his shine finally

Nakhi ummm to answer your question yes it is he's changed his name several times

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I know bro. A lot of cats love the songs you mentioned. But I just can't seem to get into them. Toney Sigel is cool though. To each his own, I'm not gonna bash anyones opinion here.

That's not Shizzah.

no doubt son i respect cha opinion but anyways i think GZA had done his thing lately i wished he drop more stuff but think also to in some regard Ghost had worked hard to keep the wu's name out their when raekwon, mef,gza, rza certain cats would just disapear from the map for a while and i think Ghost saved the wu a few times over again

the silencer
08-16-2008, 07:03 PM
after a while, i like it for the most part...probly 2 whack songs but what really bothers me about it is that it's so short...

oDoUoSoKo
08-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Wake Up GZA

Ritter
08-16-2008, 07:10 PM
after a while, i like it for the most part...probly 2 whack songs but what really bothers me about it is that it's so short...

Word. Best song on the album only 2:40 long.

I mentioned that in my review.

the silencer
08-16-2008, 08:30 PM
maybe the word "WHACK" is an overstatement...

there's a couple tracks i ain't feelin so much i should say...but i'll say no more until i get the chance to sit down and write a thorough review

num2son
08-16-2008, 08:49 PM
They way the album was put together sounds similar to LOTLS and BTS

Favorite songs:

Pencil
Alphabets
Columbian Ties
Path of Destruction

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-17-2008, 02:10 AM
Favorite Songs:

Paper Plate
Life Is A Movie
Pencil
Alphabets
Path Of Destruction

Martial-Expert
08-18-2008, 06:21 AM
i like the way the album is short...cuz i hate albums that go on and on...
i onli heard 5 songs cuz am waitin to buy the album....but so far its better than big doe rehab anyway!!!!

DUMBO
08-18-2008, 06:39 AM
based on the poll, this is one of the most unanimously enjoyed album by a general since supreme clientele. even some of the great albums of the 2000s always had a significant number of detractors from within the fanbase. gza should be proud that he has created something truly for his fans.

and it would be nice if the other generals followed gza and masta killas guidance and continued to supply their true fans with the music and style that attracted us to wu in the first place.

i have to admit digisnax really pissed me off becuase it seemed to show rza distancing himself from the style he created. he's the last person i expected to copy-cat other producers. anywho good album "...." says cop it.

Maccabee Ridah
08-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, after listenin to album few times, all I can say is that I am amazed! Finally TOP quality album! I'm amazed with production! Beats r really ill! And GZA's flow was OK! He wasn't sleepy mostly on album! Also guestlist is good, so all in all, I'm really pleased with this album!

Voted for superior, cuz of few tracks I'm not feelin alot!

P.E.A.C.E.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
08-18-2008, 08:34 AM
it's a banger. I really love some songs...

What if we make a petition that GZA must really do that RZA collabo album... with songs like Life is a Movie it could be a classic....and GZA is known as a cool dude, I guess most of Clan members would jump on the album...

THE W
08-18-2008, 09:58 AM
album came in the mail today. listened to it and i like it.

wont rate it yet but i'll say that arabian knight needs to step his game up and by "step his game up" i mean go make beats for lil wayne and keep that wack casio shit off Gza's albums.

12weLvE
08-18-2008, 10:02 AM
album came in the mail today. listened to it and i like it.

wont rate it yet but i'll say that arabian knight needs to step his game up and by "step his game up" i mean go make beats for lil wayne and keep that wack casio shit off Gza's albums.

I was excited when I saw that he was going to be producing on here, but when I heard the snippeds I was like :thumbdwn: ... Anyway I am excited for this. Going to FYE early morning.

And check the stats.

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #613 in Music (See Bestsellers in Music (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=pd_dp_ts_m_1))
Popular in these categories: (What's this? (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_help?ie=UTF8&nodeId=525376))
#4 in Music (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_1) > Rap & Hip-Hop (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/38/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_2) > East Coast (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/67192/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_3_last)#22 in Music (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_2_1) > Pop (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/37/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_2_2) > Pop Rap (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/467964/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_2_3_last)

THE W
08-18-2008, 10:11 AM
i wasnt excited when i saw him but i figured i owed the guy who made "hiphop fury" and "victim" the benefit of the doubt.

to hell with him now after these contributions. he needs to go away.

Acromadic
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
only a banger to me, beats are dope, lyrics are dope, but what happend to energy and delivery? gza sounds like he recorded the album half asleep. WAKE UP!

Ritter
08-19-2008, 01:24 AM
GZA/Genius - Pro Tools (Babygrande)

'Pro Tools' is a leap forward for Wu-Tang's most cerebral wordsmith

About.com Rating http://z.about.com/f/bl/star/t1/four.gif

The Wu-Tang Clan's top lyrical assassin returns with a follow-up to his 2005 collaboration with Cypress Hill's main producer DJ Muggs. But does GZA's Pro Tools live up to the hype?

Talent And Natural Game

In studying the reception of the GZA's previous solo ventures, production quality has always been a crucial determining factor for the overall experience of the album. The GZA faithfully delivers on the lyrical end, but a sub-par backdrop can tend to sap this quality into an unbalanced and undesirable product. Thankfully, Pro Tools is a strong leap forward in the right direction. Diversifying more than just his bond investments, the GZA employs production from a wide range of Wu-Tang beatsmiths like the RZA, Dreddy Kruger, Bronze Nazareth, Mathematics and more, along with a well-matched contribution by Detroit's own Black Milk. Each track knocks with Wu-centric elements, from the placid "Intromental" (which utilizes the same Soul Dog track as Common's "Hungry") to the frenetic Gary Numon-sampling "Life is a Movie". While the GZA may have found a well-suited production partner in Muggs three years ago (Grandmasters -- though he's worked with him before), the Wu-fam brews up an equally potent assortment of beats for his latest project.

Lyrical Swords

The GZA wastes no time in jumping into abstract themes and concepts with provocative tracks like "Cinema", which encapsulates the narrative of a thriller/horror flick within the span of less than three minutes; the GZA's son Justice supplements an excellent tag team effort in his chilling chorus lines. Onward, the Genius commits vehicular homicide (lyrically that is) on "0% Finance", in which he incorporates a hysterically incomprehensible amount of car/SUV-related puns, similes and metaphors (over a re-tooled "Stay in Line" beat). The GZA also waxes reflective on cuts like "Path of Destruction" and "Short Race", an introspective profile of the ghetto youth. A strong showing and prominent example of GZA's lyricism and frequently used war-related imagery, the True Master-assisted "Columbian Ties" finds the Genius lamenting: "A president's madness, responsible for losses/ Political forces, land littered with corpses/".

At times throughout Pro Tools, the GZA sounds much slower paced and tranquil than in his previous efforts. Typically though, it exhibits a level of assurance and poise more so than age catching up. With the RZA flinging darts over the chamber-like booms and claps of "Pencil" ("A black, blind governor, a rich white mayor/ Mayne, this whole city ain't got a prayer/"), the GZA confidently spits: "R.A.W./ Still bring trouble to...". Trouble indeed! The Genius calmly yet dominantly belittles 50 Cent and his camp on the heavily-circulated "Paper Plate" diss record, in which he proceeds to "spray the Flea-Unit with pesticide". Separating his craft from the perceived "disposable arts" of his peers, the GZA takes a stand as a self-proclaimed elder statesman; nonetheless, the diss track shouldn't be viewed as Pro Tool's focal point. There's a distinguishably liquid-like (ahem) sense of continuity and focus throughout the album's duration.

Genius at Work

After multiple spins, Pro Tools is the kind of album which maintains its traction and fails to lose its replay value. A relatively short track time aside (44+ minutes), it can be argued (and it will be, by Wu-fanatics for quite some time now) that Pro Tools is the GZA's best album since... yup, I'll say it: Liquid Swords. Realistically speaking, it stands alongside Ghostface's Supreme Clientele and Fishscale as the best solo Wu-Tang releases of the 21st century. To use the appropriate terminology: Pro Tools is definitely a Wu-banga!
Top Tracks
"Pencil"
"Alphabets"
"0% Finance"
"Paper Plate"
"Columbian Ties"
"Life is a Movie"http://rap.about.com/od/reviews/fr/GZAProTools.htm

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-19-2008, 01:40 AM
GZA/Genius - Pro Tools (Babygrande)

'Pro Tools' is a leap forward for Wu-Tang's most cerebral wordsmith

About.com Rating http://z.about.com/f/bl/star/t1/four.gif

The Wu-Tang Clan's top lyrical assassin returns with a follow-up to his 2005 collaboration with Cypress Hill's main producer DJ Muggs. But does GZA's Pro Tools live up to the hype?

Talent And Natural Game

In studying the reception of the GZA's previous solo ventures, production quality has always been a crucial determining factor for the overall experience of the album. The GZA faithfully delivers on the lyrical end, but a sub-par backdrop can tend to sap this quality into an unbalanced and undesirable product. Thankfully, Pro Tools is a strong leap forward in the right direction. Diversifying more than just his bond investments, the GZA employs production from a wide range of Wu-Tang beatsmiths like the RZA, Dreddy Kruger, Bronze Nazareth, Mathematics and more, along with a well-matched contribution by Detroit's own Black Milk. Each track knocks with Wu-centric elements, from the placid "Intromental" (which utilizes the same Soul Dog track as Common's "Hungry") to the frenetic Gary Numon-sampling "Life is a Movie". While the GZA may have found a well-suited production partner in Muggs three years ago (Grandmasters -- though he's worked with him before), the Wu-fam brews up an equally potent assortment of beats for his latest project.

Lyrical Swords

The GZA wastes no time in jumping into abstract themes and concepts with provocative tracks like "Cinema", which encapsulates the narrative of a thriller/horror flick within the span of less than three minutes; the GZA's son Justice supplements an excellent tag team effort in his chilling chorus lines. Onward, the Genius commits vehicular homicide (lyrically that is) on "0% Finance", in which he incorporates a hysterically incomprehensible amount of car/SUV-related puns, similes and metaphors (over a re-tooled "Stay in Line" beat). The GZA also waxes reflective on cuts like "Path of Destruction" and "Short Race", an introspective profile of the ghetto youth. A strong showing and prominent example of GZA's lyricism and frequently used war-related imagery, the True Master-assisted "Columbian Ties" finds the Genius lamenting: "A president's madness, responsible for losses/ Political forces, land littered with corpses/".

At times throughout Pro Tools, the GZA sounds much slower paced and tranquil than in his previous efforts. Typically though, it exhibits a level of assurance and poise more so than age catching up. With the RZA flinging darts over the chamber-like booms and claps of "Pencil" ("A black, blind governor, a rich white mayor/ Mayne, this whole city ain't got a prayer/"), the GZA confidently spits: "R.A.W./ Still bring trouble to...". Trouble indeed! The Genius calmly yet dominantly belittles 50 Cent and his camp on the heavily-circulated "Paper Plate" diss record, in which he proceeds to "spray the Flea-Unit with pesticide". Separating his craft from the perceived "disposable arts" of his peers, the GZA takes a stand as a self-proclaimed elder statesman; nonetheless, the diss track shouldn't be viewed as Pro Tool's focal point. There's a distinguishably liquid-like (ahem) sense of continuity and focus throughout the album's duration.

Genius at Work

After multiple spins, Pro Tools is the kind of album which maintains its traction and fails to lose its replay value. A relatively short track time aside (44+ minutes), it can be argued (and it will be, by Wu-fanatics for quite some time now) that Pro Tools is the GZA's best album since... yup, I'll say it: Liquid Swords. Realistically speaking, it stands alongside Ghostface's Supreme Clientele and Fishscale as the best solo Wu-Tang releases of the 21st century. To use the appropriate terminology: Pro Tools is definitely a Wu-banga!
Top Tracks
"Pencil"
"Alphabets"
"0% Finance"
"Paper Plate"
"Columbian Ties"
"Life is a Movie"http://rap.about.com/od/reviews/fr/GZAProTools.htm

good shizzah i hate the idoits that haven't heard it and are bashing it but when they get it they'll do a 360 and love it and deny all of the crap plus i didn't like how cynical and one diamentional this review was but it was straight to the point

Ritter
08-19-2008, 02:10 AM
rap.about always gives reviews like that. I'll PM you the 8 Diagrams review from them. Hold up a sec.

Ritter
08-19-2008, 07:34 AM
INTROMENTAL

A brief instrumental intro, lest they start right in with the rappin'. I'm pretty sure I've heard this sampled before on a rap song. It's too bad no one rapped on it here.

PENCIL

Like some shit right off Wu-Tang Forever. RZA and Masta Killa both lend guest raps, but it's the RZA (note I didn't just misspell GZA) that fucking pwns this. I haven't heard the RZA this focused since... well, ever. Which is shocking, since I haven't liked anything he's done in years.

ALPHABETS

Holy crap this is good. Like, Liquid Swords good. No hyperbole. The chorus consists of GZA rapping the words of the alphabet. Which sounds like some dorky bullshit, and maybe it is, but wait until you hear it.

GROUNDBREAKING

GZA trades a few verses with his son. As you might have guessed, there's no talk of supermanning that ho, or anything silly like that.

7 POUNDS

Finally, Black Milk does a track for someone from the Wu. The result is about as magical as you might expect. Shit, maybe even more so.

0% FINANCE

A story where GZA flips the names of various cars and other car-related terms (e.g. spark plugs) a la "Labels"

SHORT RACE

A darker, more straightforward story. Rock Marcy kicks the chorus and also a guest verse.

INTERLUDE

GZA mentions that he once saw a kid with a Wu-Tang logo tattooed on his face, but he doubts anyone will ever get the G-Unit logo tattooed on their face. No, really, he does.

PAPER PLATE

The surprisingly kinda meh Fiddy dis record.

COLUMBIAN TIES

The production on this one kinda reminds me of that Peruvian cocaine record by Immortal Technique.

FIREHOUSE

Whereas, the string-based production on this kinda reminds of something MF Doom might do, if he wasn't off somewhere being a psycho. Some gruff-voiced weed carrier guy does most of the rappin' on this. He's not half that bad, though I'm wondering why he's got damn near his own song on this.

PATH OF DESTRUCTION

If you notice, several songs on this are about kids who've gone down the wrong path. My grandpa used to always talk about how bad kids were getting. (This was back during the crack era.) I'm just saying.

CINEMA

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd feel about rapping with my father, let alone rapping some weird shit like this. I suppose it could be worse. Ghostface's son raps about running trains with his father. And for all we know, he probably does.

INTERMISSION

Another brief interlude. No talking or anything. But there is that one kung fu film sample from one of those early Wu-Tang albums. I think Tical, but who knows these days.

LIFE IS A MOVIE

The best thing RZA has done in ages, maybe since the 1990s. It's got these crazy drums, and these Gary Numan-sounding synths, and then the chorus is by some guy who actually does sound like Gary Numan. Or shit, maybe it is Gary Numan, though the credits on my special critics version of this list some Chinese guy.

ELASTIC AUDIO

GZA rapping one of his old songs I forgot about, live. Then he kicks some raps acapulco, with no music.

COMMENTS: Shockingly good. The best GZA album since Liquid Swords, and it's not like I wasn't a fan of Beneath the Surface and Legend of the Liquid Sword and Grandmasters. I don't want to put too much of a point on it, but this could very well be the best Wu-Tang-related album since Supreme Clientele. I only hesitate to say that because hip-hop's been in such a slump for I don't know how long, and it could be that I've been so starved for good shit that I'm getting a little bit stannish here. I'm probably not though.

Pro Tools is looking good with the fans ^

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-19-2008, 08:03 AM
I still haven't heard this, but do people really think it's better than Beneath the Surface? Beneath is one of my favourite hip-hop albums, so if it's even close i'm gonna be a happy muthafucka.

Ritter
08-19-2008, 08:18 AM
I still haven't heard this, but do people really think it's better than Beneath the Surface? Beneath is one of my favourite hip-hop albums, so if it's even close i'm gonna be a happy muthafucka.

It's somewhere along those lines. I think you'll be a happy muthafucka.

Yes, you definitely will be a happy muthafucka.

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-19-2008, 08:24 AM
I've only heard the leaked Alphabets and Paper Plates. Alphabets was quality but I didn't really like Paper Plates. Lyrically it was great, but GZA sounded kinda sleepy and the beat was crap (in my opnion).

duotone
08-19-2008, 08:34 AM
seriously, this is one of the best wu releases since forever....
gza is still the best in clan and one of the best mc's ever....

pro tools comes near to classic...

you see that u can still rap with 42.... damn...

big up to gza... (and rza 4 his verse on pencil... amazing... best rzaverse since... oh... i dont know... )

go to the store and cop that shit... show them that you have the right taste and invest in sumthin good...

hide1998
08-19-2008, 08:47 AM
I've only heard the leaked Alphabets and Paper Plates. Alphabets was quality but I didn't really like Paper Plates. Lyrically it was great, but GZA sounded kinda sleepy and the beat was crap (in my opnion).

Sounds like you got that, "I know I'm not going to feel it as much as you guys" tone goin'. Chances are, surprisingly, you're not going to feel it as much as the rest of us.

*dies of shock*

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-19-2008, 08:57 AM
No, sounds like I've got that "My double vinyl hasn't arrived yet but I can't fuckin wait til it does. I'd stopped expecting new Wu albums to deliver as much as my favourites from the past but the talk on here has got me mad excited" tone goin'.

Hope you did actualy die of shock there though.

hide1998
08-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Hope you did actualy die of shock there though.

Comments like that remind me I'm in a message forum, for better or worse.

In any event, be prepared not to feel it as much as most of us, as you've clearly already set yourself up for that.

Durag
08-19-2008, 09:59 AM
^^Damn, he was just wondering if its really as good as Beneath The Surface. Im skeptical about people saying that too, but im looking foward to hearing it.

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Don't worry Durag he knows what you're really thinking because of his psychic powers.

Durag
08-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Fuck me though, hes catching feelings. Im looking foward to hearing this though, especially after Digi Snacks being one of the worst Wu releases ever im looking foward to hearing this, in re-establishing my faith in the Wu

DR. NICK RIVIERA
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
ELASTIC AUDIO

GZA rapping one of his old songs I forgot about, live. Then he kicks some raps acapulco, with no music.

LOL ACAPULCO

It's Beneath the Surface quality, with a lil' more GZA and less guests.

duotone
08-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Fuck me though, hes catching feelings. Im looking foward to hearing this though, especially after Digi Snacks being one of the worst Wu releases ever im looking foward to hearing this, in re-establishing my faith in the Wu

seriously, digi snax was a very dope album when u are open for new shit and for sumthing exclusive and unique...
and the dopest was that there was NO r'n'b.... it was a bit soul... and thats good... in 93 the rza rzarectet soul... so it fits...

but back to topic... or to this acapulco guy.... :W

the "acapulco" is form grandmasters "general principles"... and the "ISCH LEBE FÜR HIPHOP you can ask the germans" is a leaning on "DJ TOMMEK feat. CURSE (german rapper), GZA & Prodigal Sun" (2000)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOv947I9yc0

(i dont know if there is a sin in "is a leaning"... but its translated word-for-word from german in englisch :) )

hide1998
08-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Fuck me though, hes catching feelings.

Selective reader I see.

hide1998
08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
It is a bit early, but this may be my 3rd favorite GZA album. I put it right behind Liquid Swords and Grandmasters.

Wu, and it's affiliates, are having another great year.

FasterBlade
08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
It's Beneath the Surface quality, with a lil' more GZA and less guests.

wouldnt rate the production as high, but probably a notch or two higher than Legend and GM

lyrically its probably his 2nd best album, its a short album but theres alot more GZA on here than usual. hooks are well done, the guests are good. some really nice songwriting themes, not much more you could ask for.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
08-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Beneath the Surface had annoying skits and Stringplay. It evens out.

Airwaves
08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Look, FIREHOUSE is str8 piff. That is the best beat on the album, and KA is nasty. This is also the best Chorus IMO. If GZA woulda spit on it then it prolly woulda been the best track. I think the chorus on "Columbian Ties" and "Short Race" are pretty lame while the some of the beats are not that hot.

0% finance is a too tired to really get into on first listen. WHen I initially listened to the album I woulda gave it a 6-7/10 but now fter like 20 listens I'mma give it a 8.5/10.

ivan1087
08-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Read my review at
Rap.About.Com! (http://rap.about.com/od/reviews/fr/GZAProTools.htm)

tical2000
08-19-2008, 11:18 PM
album sounds really good.....best WU album since SUPREME CLIENTELE?

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-19-2008, 11:43 PM
album sounds really good.....best WU album since SUPREME CLIENTELE?

let's not go that far alright maybe the best since Fishscale

12weLvE
08-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Stats at Amazon.com

#2 in Music (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_1) > Rap & Hip-Hop (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/38/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_2) > East Coast (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/67192/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_3_last)#9 in Music (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_2_1) > Pop (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/37/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_2_2) > Pop Rap (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/467964/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_2_3_last)

ivan1087
08-20-2008, 12:30 AM
let's not go that far alright maybe the best since Fishscale

Yeah, not as good as Fishscale. Still though, it's #3 among the 21st century albums:

#1 Supreme Clientele
#2 Fishscale
#3 Protools
#4 Made in Brooklyn?

Heavy-Mental
08-20-2008, 12:55 AM
its a good album, we just need to get those other guys on it more...maybe some more generals, ghost? priest? killabees?

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-20-2008, 03:06 AM
its a good album, we just need to get those other guys on it more...maybe some more generals, ghost? priest? killabees?

man the killabees many of them are non-exsistant now a days besides a few not much from allot of them but i agree we need more ghost n other generals plus more rza production (good stuff on pro tools)

Ritter
08-20-2008, 03:29 AM
I think it's better than Fishscale.

Sorry. Can't compare any song off Fishscale to the 3 best of ProTools (Alphabets, Columbian Ties, Pencil)

But not better than Supreme Clientele.

#2. That's great. It should do great in sales too.

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Couldn't wait for my vinyl any longer so downloaded it. Fuckin amazing. Better than I could have hoped for. I still hate the beat for Paper Plate, I don't feel Ka and don't see why he put the live track on if he as gonna edit the swearing, but otherwise it's brilliant. This is one album that's gonna stay in rotation for me.

FasterBlade
08-20-2008, 07:25 AM
screw more guests, the guy drops once every 3 years i want to hear as much of him as possible.

as far as post 2000 solos, its probably tied for 2nd with Fishscale behind NSD. i like this more off a the first few listens than i did 421 and Digi Bullett, and i love those records

hide1998
08-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah, not as good as Fishscale. Still though, it's #3 among the 21st century albums:

#1 Supreme Clientele
#2 Fishscale
#3 Protools
#4 Made in Brooklyn?

Aren't you forgetting No Said Date? Not to knock your opinion, but I've never heard of anyone preferring Made in Brooklyn over No Said Date.

Sean
08-20-2008, 08:22 AM
My copy still hasn't fuckin arrived, I really want to hear it. Anyone else order it from HMV? Where did everyone from the UK get it?

Oh and I noticed that it's #7 in Music > Hip-Hop & Rap > East Coast on Amazon UK, which is pretty good. Also, Wu Tang has 5 spots in the top 25 of that category, and Liquid Swords is the highest at #5

ivan1087
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Aren't you forgetting No Said Date? Not to knock your opinion, but I've never heard of anyone preferring Made in Brooklyn over No Said Date.

Oh you're right. My bad. I meant NSD. Get 'em mixed up in my head sometimes, what with the similar looking covers.

But yeah, I'd definitely say:

#1 Supreme Clientele
#2 Fishscale
#3 Pro Tools
#4 No Said Date
#5 ???

12weLvE
08-20-2008, 11:20 AM
^^ Why does everybody fail to say Grandmasters... That was the most banging joint since Supreme Clientele.

ivan1087
08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
^^ Why does everybody fail to say Grandmasters... That was the most banging joint since Supreme Clientele.

Mmmm.... It had hot cuts on it, no doubt. But as an album (as a whole), I personally don't think it holds up to others like Fishscale, and now Pro Tools....

Maybe time will be the judge of that..?

BRONZBODY
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
very VERY dope,its so dope my old man likes it,and he absolutely hates rap music.

GRANDMASSIVE.
08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
alot better than i expected, alot of solid joints on there, great replay value, def happy that bronze is holding it down for the wu, "groundbreaking" is ill, "firehouse" is another 1 of my personal favorites, along with "alphabets" and "pencil".

p.e.a.c.e.

Below Zero
08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
One of the best General releases in a while.

Orion Nebulus
08-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I just played the first 6 tracks and so far is sounding pretty dope. I have to give this a couple more listens till I make a review. Peace.

Hollow Dartz
08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I just heard the first track with MK and Rza it sounds pretty good.

Guarded By Martyrs
08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Just "Pretty Good" Hollow ???

It's a Wu-Banga !!!!!!!!

the silencer
08-20-2008, 06:57 PM
it's dope and all but i'm annoyed by how short it is....it should be considered an EP almost..

45 mins total but there's an Intro and 2 interludes....and then a recording of a live show (which is pretty cool tho)

TAURO
08-20-2008, 07:00 PM
The tracks are just too short.

portis24
08-20-2008, 07:06 PM
make it brief son half short and twice strong

Orion Nebulus
08-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Ok I listened to the whole album and I must say it's pretty dope. Like Tauro...my only gripe with the CD is that most of the songs are just way too short.

TAURO
08-20-2008, 07:08 PM
make it brief son half short and twice strong

That should be the number of tracks not the running times.

anthonyrecord
08-20-2008, 07:57 PM
15. Life is a movie feat. Rza & Irfane Khan-Acito is like Wu-Tang meets Tubeway Army (Gary Newman):cop:

portis24
08-20-2008, 08:26 PM
That should be the number of tracks not the running times.

i wish the that live perfomance was replaced with another track and i do agree that it's too short but he packs alot of good shit in that short time period

Airwaves
08-20-2008, 10:16 PM
This falls right behind Fishscale IMO. Fishcales beats were a lot better IMO and Ghost always makes hot albums. This is a dope album by far though.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-20-2008, 10:35 PM
i wish the that live perfomance was replaced with another track and i do agree that it's too short but he packs alot of good shit in that short time period

well when you rip it using itunes or windows you can just not include the track

THE MASON
08-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Pure hip hop, the only thing im missing was a True Master verse on colombian ties, that would have been crazy and maybe showcase GZA son a little more. GZA is on some crazy shit with this one.

White Dirty Bastard
08-21-2008, 02:01 AM
holy shit this album is so dope as fuck. Gza has remained supreme all these years. His lyrics flow so good. he continues to outdo himself everytime pencil is my favorite so far cinema might be a runner up well see.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Pure hip hop, the only thing im missing was a True Master verse on colombian ties, that would have been crazy and maybe showcase GZA son a little more. GZA is on some crazy shit with this one.

yeah GZA killed it my favorites are Pencil, Cinemia and Life is a Movie

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-21-2008, 02:17 AM
and let's not for get i think Dreddy A&Rin' the album was and is the truth

Jin10304
08-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Agree that some tracks are short, but the number of tracks is about the same for any GZA album minus WFTG...

Liquid Swords (12 GZA tracks)
Beneath The Surface (11 GZA tracks)
LOTLS (13 GZA tracks, 1 chorus)
Grandmasters (11 GZA tracks)
Pro Tools (12 GZA tracks, 1 chorus)

Fright
08-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Who knows the song name which they used in "Intermission(Drive In Movie)????

THE W
08-21-2008, 07:15 AM
this album is pretty good. im disappointed that i had to skip 4 tracks on such a short album and with unskippable tracks being spectacular.

0 finance(why use the same beat again? plus the verse just drags on without being that interesting)

short race(really bland beat)

paper plate(still cant believe Rza was responsible for this butthole surprise)

cinema( again, just a bland beat with young justice whispering so low that you could barely hear him making for a bad chorus)

life is a movie is a disappointing track as Rza basically jacked it but most wont know that and as they say, what you dont know cant hurt you. its still listenable though, i dont skip it.

the rest of the album is top notch stuff that would rival any general release post SC. i'd give a 9 or 10 to every other song. 7 pounds and path of destruction are my favorites which were provided by outside sources.

lyrically, as usual, Gza does his thing on every track but the delivery on some songs is boring(ie path of destruction, paper plate). if you're just looking for good lyrics this is your album as Gza indeed holds up his end of the bargain and for the most part the production is there to accompany him.

this album definitely had a chance to rival supreme clientele but some of the production held it back. damn you Rza and arabian knight.

8/10

THE MASON
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
and let's not for get i think Dreddy A&Rin' the album was and is the truth

Co fuckin sign, Dreddy set it up nicely, hyped the album madly, it even got an ad in the paper, not often seen where im from

For Wu at least

12weLvE
08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Bought it yesterday... I got a review tonight.

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-21-2008, 12:40 PM
If anyone gets hold of any kind of Paper Plates remix can they up it. I really can't stand that beat but really like the vocals.

Guarded By Martyrs
08-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Groundbreaking is my shit.

Cappadonna36
08-21-2008, 06:14 PM
rzas verse on pencil is amazing

famenchuan
08-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Iam having a hard time getting through this album. GZA just sounds boring on the mic. Beats are not that great either.

Twilights_Own
08-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Maybe you should listen to the LYRICS then

hide1998
08-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Iam having a hard time getting through this album. GZA just sounds boring on the mic. Beats are not that great either.

"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"
- Masta Killa

num2son
08-22-2008, 12:26 PM
After a couple more listens, the album is good but not in my top 3 gza albums.

duotone
08-22-2008, 01:41 PM
did pro tools hit the stores in the u.s. on aug.19th???
in ger. not.

i ordered it at amazon germany... noted releasedate was aug.19th. but now they say it's not in stock... and our musicstore didnt get it yet...

so whats the matter?

Hollow Dartz
08-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Maybe you should listen to the LYRICS then

He just said he sounds boring....

hide1998
08-22-2008, 04:15 PM
He just said he sounds boring....

If English is your first language you may be aware that "sounds boring" and "sounds bored" imply two different things.

Hollow Dartz
08-22-2008, 04:20 PM
LOL you from Japan tryna school me lol. LOL!

12weLvE
08-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Peace to my Wu-Corp fam :b ... I am kinda typsy right now...but I am loving this fucking album!!! hahaHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Intro - Lovely intro by Dreddy... nice way to set off the album... RZA provides more hype... nice.

Pencil - Math came nasty with the beat. GZA finally sounds alive and crazy with the opening line. Masta Killa solid as usual, but RZA stold the mother Fucking SHOW!!!!!!!! Appear from a cloud of smoke hehe. Disgusting. 5/5

Alphabets - Truemaster does it again... never fails to deliver to bring that sound we all love. The hook is one of the sickest hookds I ve ever heard... and the second verse is crazy... "I brought butter for the pop corn and dip for the chips." One of the few gems on this album. 5/5

Groundbreaking - Second favorite joint on the album. Damn Wu mother fuckers are sleeping on Bronze. I think he is the best producer out that camp... Why do I think he is better than RZA on the board lately... well he keeps it raw haha. GZA delivered this shit on some "Liquid Swords" shit. His son still has not hit puberty so his voice sounds annoyin, but still this is a banger!!! 5/5

7 Pounds - Another sick beat!!! GZA is doing his thing with production choice so far... "Not the UFC but my opponents are tapping" You got this on lock GZA. The hook is off the hook also. "Me to hip hop is like Einstein to science" Damn flawless album so far. 5/5

0% Finace - Okay yall I am disapointed that he used this beat again, just sped up. So this is going to hurt the rating for this track... now, GZA is back on his name dropping shit... now is about cars and its always entertaining. I say the track is average though, really does not compare to Queens Gambit, Publicity, Fame and Animal Planet. Solid ass fuck though. 4/5

Short Race - My favorite track!!!! The beat is AMAZING!!! And the hook ooooweee... Rock Marciano dude is sick. Damn GZA got his story telling shit down!!! Shit like this really happens in life. "I remember when he called collect from behind bars, suffering from 2 injurys and 9 scars/ he said he give anything to get out the pen, but it would be his permanet home until the end." GZA is the fucking GREATEST!!! Rock Marciano is FIRE!!! "More bricks than when the Knicks is on" haha I feel you Rock!!! One of the best songs I ve heard in years!!! 5/5

Interlude - "I ve seen a kid one night at this spot, he had a Wu-Tang logo on his face, just a tatoo is big" CLASSIC!!!

Paper Plate - I Love this!!! Best 50 diss since Jadakiss animal. Now I must say I was a little disappointed at the beat, but its solid though. READ THE QUOTE ON MY SIG!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! SICK!!! "And I ll finish this, only couse I led off first." 4.5/5

Colombian Ties - Another sick beat from Bronze!! GZA and Bronze are a deadly combo, "Either you eat or you died from hunger, startbing to death till the correnor calls your number." I must say that True Master has a great voice... he should rap more often...great hook. 5/5

Firehouse - Dont get me wrong, Ka dropped some nice lines and has great voice, but damn where the fuck you @ GZA!!! Fuck just dropping a hook... I mean I know you let Priest drop B.I.B.L.E of Liquid Swords, but that was a classic track... The beat is amazing and you should have fucking rapped on it... that pissed me off almost as much as he re using that one Arabian Night beat. 4/5

Path of Destruction - Beat is solid, and GZA is back on that story telling shit... I dont have much to say about this one. Solid performance thought. 4/5

Cinema - He tried to do this murder scene story shit... Good shit, but no replay value, due to the whispering. I mean is deep, and the story was crazy.... The beat was cool. I mean I ve heard some criticism on Arabian Knights beats, but I think that he is sick!!! This track lost points due to lack or replay value. 3.5/5

Intermision - Bringing back that Tical sample... nice way to set it off for the next track witch is WOW!!!

Life is a Movie - Now I know that people are trying to shit on RZA due to him just pretty much jacking the whole sample, but thats sampling for you. Give him props for the arrangement, sample choice and drum loop. Beat is sick when the Synth comes in... I love that part... haha "I got a smile that make the mirror crack" "the man who hit lotto and lost his ticket in a rain storm and struck by lighting trying to get it." GZA ourshines RZA... this was due because RZA destroyed "Pencil" on some brutal shit. Only thing I dont like about this track was the hook... it could have been left out. 4.5/5

OVERALL: I would like to say THANK YOU GZA!!!! Finally some real raw WU_SHIT!!!!! I really, really wanted to say that it is a classic, but there were a couple of bad choices made here. But albums like "Liquid Swords" are one of a kind. This goes down as GZA's 3rd best IMO... Liquid Swords... Grandmasters come first and then this BEAUTY!!!! I am not fucking suprised though... Now tell me guys... when has GZA let us down??

PEACE!!!!!

12weLvE
08-23-2008, 12:11 AM
I must say that "Life is a Movie" is the best track to listen to while drunk haha.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Peace to my Wu-Corp fam :b ... I am kinda typsy right now...but I am loving this fucking album!!! hahaHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Intro - Lovely intro by Dreddy... nice way to set off the album... RZA provides more hype... nice.

Pencil - Math came nasty with the beat. GZA finally sounds alive and crazy with the opening line. Masta Killa solid as usual, but RZA stold the mother Fucking SHOW!!!!!!!! Appear from a cloud of smoke hehe. Disgusting. 5/5

Alphabets - Truemaster does it again... never fails to deliver to bring that sound we all love. The hook is one of the sickest hookds I ve ever heard... and the second verse is crazy... "I brought butter for the pop corn and dip for the chips." One of the few gems on this album. 5/5

Groundbreaking - Second favorite joint on the album. Damn Wu mother fuckers are sleeping on Bronze. I think he is the best producer out that camp... Why do I think he is better than RZA on the board lately... well he keeps it raw haha. GZA delivered this shit on some "Liquid Swords" shit. His son still has not hit puberty so his voice sounds annoyin, but still this is a banger!!! 5/5

7 Pounds - Another sick beat!!! GZA is doing his thing with production choice so far... "Not the UFC but my opponents are tapping" You got this on lock GZA. The hook is off the hook also. "Me to hip hop is like Einstein to science" Damn flawless album so far. 5/5

0% Finace - Okay yall I am disapointed that he used this beat again, just sped up. So this is going to hurt the rating for this track... now, GZA is back on his name dropping shit... now is about cars and its always entertaining. I say the track is average though, really does not compare to Queens Gambit, Publicity, Fame and Animal Planet. Solid ass fuck though. 4/5

Short Race - My favorite track!!!! The beat is AMAZING!!! And the hook ooooweee... Rock Marciano dude is sick. Damn GZA got his story telling shit down!!! Shit like this really happens in life. "I remember when he called collect from behind bars, suffering from 2 injurys and 9 scars/ he said he give anything to get out the pen, but it would be his permanet home until the end." GZA is the fucking GREATEST!!! Rock Marciano is FIRE!!! "More bricks than when the Knicks is on" haha I feel you Rock!!! One of the best songs I ve heard in years!!! 5/5

Interlude - "I ve seen a kid one night at this spot, he had a Wu-Tang logo on his face, just a tatoo is big" CLASSIC!!!

Paper Plate - I Love this!!! Best 50 diss since Jadakiss animal. Now I must say I was a little disappointed at the beat, but its solid though. READ THE QUOTE ON MY SIG!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! SICK!!! "And I ll finish this, only couse I led off first." 4.5/5

Colombian Ties - Another sick beat from Bronze!! GZA and Bronze are a deadly combo, "Either you eat or you died from hunger, startbing to death till the correnor calls your number." I must say that True Master has a great voice... he should rap more often...great hook. 5/5

Firehouse - Dont get me wrong, Ka dropped some nice lines and has great voice, but damn where the fuck you @ GZA!!! Fuck just dropping a hook... I mean I know you let Priest drop B.I.B.L.E of Liquid Swords, but that was a classic track... The beat is amazing and you should have fucking rapped on it... that pissed me off almost as much as he re using that one Arabian Night beat. 4/5

Path of Destruction - Beat is solid, and GZA is back on that story telling shit... I dont have much to say about this one. Solid performance thought. 4/5

Cinema - He tried to do this murder scene story shit... Good shit, but no replay value, due to the whispering. I mean is deep, and the story was crazy.... The beat was cool. I mean I ve heard some criticism on Arabian Knights beats, but I think that he is sick!!! This track lost points due to lack or replay value. 3.5/5

Intermision - Bringing back that Tical sample... nice way to set it off for the next track witch is WOW!!!

Life is a Movie - Now I know that people are trying to shit on RZA due to him just pretty much jacking the whole sample, but thats sampling for you. Give him props for the arrangement, sample choice and drum loop. Beat is sick when the Synth comes in... I love that part... haha "I got a smile that make the mirror crack" "the man who hit lotto and lost his ticket in a rain storm and struck by lighting trying to get it." GZA ourshines RZA... this was due because RZA destroyed "Pencil" on some brutal shit. Only thing I dont like about this track was the hook... it could have been left out. 4.5/5

OVERALL: I would like to say THANK YOU GZA!!!! Finally some real raw WU_SHIT!!!!! I really, really wanted to say that it is a classic, but there were a couple of bad choices made here. But albums like "Liquid Swords" are one of a kind. This goes down as GZA's 3rd best IMO... Liquid Swords... Grandmasters come first and then this BEAUTY!!!! I am not fucking suprised though... Now tell me guys... when has GZA let us down??

PEACE!!!!!

I AGREE WITH UR VIEW U BROUGHT ALLOT OF POINT I THINK MOST OF US HAVE BROUGHT UP AND I WAS CRITTICAL OF FIREHOUSE MYSELF

Twilights_Own
08-23-2008, 10:41 AM
"One of the few gems on this album. 5/5"

I like that you said "few" then gave 6 songs 5/5 and most o the rest 4. Thats a CHUNK of gems, man !

CuzinBilly
08-23-2008, 12:23 PM
i d the album yesterday discovered the Life is a movie track and been killin it since. this beat is on some crossover shyt. rza just redeem himself to me as one of the greatest producers.

12weLvE
08-23-2008, 12:24 PM
"One of the few gems on this album. 5/5"

I like that you said "few" then gave 6 songs 5/5 and most o the rest 4. Thats a CHUNK of gems, man !

Few can mean many lol.

the silencer
08-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I know i'm gonna catch some hate and some bullshit for this but I gotta be real with my opinion and I ain't feeling this album that much...and that's weird because i see most of you on here absolutely love it..

the entire package (album cover, tracklisting, music) just seems so lazy and half-assed that it's embarassing as a huge Wu fan, and ESPECIALLY as a huge Gza fan who frequently mentions to ppl that Gza is one of the best ever...

there was a ton of confusion with this album ever since it was first announced last summer as coming out sometime in November (or October?) of 2007...we were never hearing anything about it, never saw a tracklist or album cover but yet it had been officially announced, and then pushed back to December 4th....then we got this (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43745) post from 'G the Promoter':

message straight from GZA........... I spoke to GZA tonight and his album will NOT be released on Dec 4th
and the next thing we heard was that it was gonna drop on January 8th...that never happened (http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/06/gza-tours-for-new-album-and-recreates-liquid-sword.html#more)..

it got pushed way back to August.....

i should have also mentioned that at some point during all this, it was announced that this wasn't a Gza solo but it was gonna be a compilation with Gza and some Killa Beez and others...production was gonna be from Rza, Bronze, Preservation, DJ Muggz, Nottz and others and the album had features from Killah Priest, Bronze Nazareth, Mos Def, Sean P......

well, that's not what we got...my assumption is that they decided to cut all that shit and make it a Gza solo at the last minute, to try to avoid the confusion of releasing a Gza album with barely any Gza on it...so in the end what we got is an EP-length album that sounds rushed (and Gza admits (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61845) that it WAS rushed, which is amazing cuz of all the pushbacks), what seems IMO to be like the notorious 'mixtapes' that Dreddy has been known to put out through Think Differently...this project just seems like he threw together a few tracks, filled in the blanks with an intro, couple interludes, and a 'bonus' track and threw a random album title on it...

I won't get into arguments with those who say "I love this, why don't you like it too!?!" but what I do find amazing is that ppl are calling this the best release since Supreme Clientele or No Said Date....Grandmasters is much better than this shit, perhaps that album is underappreciated cuz this comes NOWHERE NEAR it...play this and then throw on GM (or better yet, play GM and then throw this on and you will seriously be amazed)...

album cover: another Nubian Image production, this one about as simple as it can get with a little Gza sign surrounded by an ocean of blue...can't blame Nubian for it being plain, with the album title and lack of a theme to it, they didn't give him much to work with (I spoke on the album title/theme here (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1288884&postcount=39))....altho the back cover is awesome, reminiscent of the famous scene on Liquid Swords' cover, but this time with Shaolin monks flying around slicing shit..

1. Intromental
Prod. by Dreddy Kruger

Nice and simple. Reminds of me of the music throughout the Wu Meets Indie Culture album.

2. Pencil ft Masta Killa and Rza
prod by Mathematics

Pretty good up-tempo beat to start off with. Reminds a lot of the song on 'Legend of the Liquid Swords' wit Ghost and Streetlife… Gza spits a nice one, couple of dope lines and his flow is awake and relatively energetic (especially compared to the other tracks on here). MK only throws a few bars and it’s nothing special but Rza is crazy on here. I like how he starts off with what I see as kind of an intro to his verse, that whole “world, I’m not the same” thing and then just goes in, sounding mad focused and hungry. Makes me wanna check out Digi Snax again. One of the best verses on this whole album from Bobby Steels right there.
4/5

3. Alphabets
prod by True Master

Probably the best track on the album. Gza’s two verses are NICE and he flows perfectly over the smooth True mizza-Master track. Manages to rhyme the entire Supreme Alphabet in the chorus (sounding a little bored while doing so tho).
Only negative about this song is that it’s a little short, may have benefited from one more verse.
Closes out with a crazy line:
“Because hip hop is all in my genes, the pattern is seen in every stitch”
4.5/5

4. Groundbreaking feat Justice Kareem
prod by Bronze Nazareth

I first heard this beat on the ‘Cilvaringz and Rza go to Egypt’ part of the DVD that came with the “I” album…..couldn’t wait to hear the full version..
First Gza verse is nice but at this point in the album it’s like he’s starting to drift off and is heading towards that dreaded half-dead Gza flow that so many fans on here can’t bear to hear….but he’s not quite dead yet on this joint..
Chorus is pretty cool but I don’t like the way they did the second verse….I know it’s the standard back-n-forth type style that Rae and Ghost employed well but it sounds corny here, Gza’s sharp strong voice and then a little kid cutting in for just a couple of lines in total..(in that recently posted interview Gza said they were in a rush so they had to leave it this way even tho he was dissatisfied with how it came out…that is horrible for too many reasons)
And this song is WAY too short, only 2 and half minutes with a chorus repeated twice….come on, Gza
3.5/5

5. 7 Pounds
prod by Black Milk

One of the better songs on the album, close to Alphabets for best on the cd I would say….MAD short again tho

Beat is DOPE, fuckin head banger…I gotta be honest with this one though (and I hope others who notice will be too): even tho the lyrics are perfect and the chorus is cool, Gza’s flow is flat-out weak on here…he sounds bored, like he’s being forced to do this shit….
Mainly, it sounds like he’s sitting in a comfortable chair with a notepad on his lap just lazily reading his verse along without trying to raise his voice too much..
3.5/5

6. 0% Finance
prod by Choco

A familiar beat, cuz he used it two albums ago…on Stay in Line and if you throw that joint on right now and compare it to this one you’ll be amazed at how much more energy he has on the old one..
(also it's funny cuz so many ppl on here complained when Rza put out Can't Stop Me Now cuz MF Doom had used the beat a couple years ago, meanwhile Gza is re-using his OWN beat here...embarassing)
Lyrically this is extremely creative, in that same vein as Queen’s Gambit, Publicity and all those patented Gza tracks where he’s using a whole bunch of names from one theme (in this case, it’s cars)….
I can see why alotta ppl would love this one, and I’m surprised that I don’t but---I don’t love it…
It’s certainly got that extreme lyrical depth that makes you wanna listen to it many times to catch everything but, again, his flow is so lifeless….Go back and throw on Grandmasters (an album which many ppl accused him of sounding sleepy on) and there is really NO tracks where he sounded THIS disinterested….
3/5

7. Short Race feat Rock Marcy
prod by Arabian Knight

Don’t like this one at all really…beat is weak and boring, chorus is kinda simple…Rock Marcy later on has a SICK beat on the album but his verse is nothing great here..
2/5

8. Interlude
i think this was from the studio interview the Clan (most of them, at least) did right before 8 Diagrams dropped...he subtly makes a damn good point on the 'cult following' that Wu has

9. Paper Plate
prod by Rza

Rza’s beat is weak by most standards but I still like this joint…the Voltron Head going straight at 50 Cent, a pretty easy target but not many can come as nice as this….yeah, his flow isn’t that energized but it’s not quite as sleepy as he’s been on some other songs and it actually works good here like he don’t even got get all excited to spit a diss track, the lyrics are just that powerful..

“If you’s a pimp, put chicks on the stroll
and if those ya soldiers, give ‘em bigger guns to hold.
Who shot ya? You don’t have enough on ya rosta
Move like a FED BUT YOU TALK LIKE A MOBSTA”

I love that Gza made this song….cuz somebody from Wu had to do it at some point (and 50 really had some ignorant shit to say about the Genius that time on the radio)
4/5

10. Columbian Ties feat True Master
prod by Bronze Nazareth

Pretty cool Bronze beat, reminds me of Cross My Heart (which is a True Master joint), all bangin drums and hi-hats..
That they misspelled ‘COLOMBIAN’ is retarded but the song is tight, Genius paints a nice picture/story of the scenes of, not necessarily just the country of Colombia, but the general atmosphere of a country dominated by militaristic regimes with street crime goin all outta control….I would say it’s like that in a few places in South America these days…
Only problem is, again, its WAAAY too short....only one extended verse
4/5

11. Firehouse feat Ka
prod by Rock Marcy

I love this beat but I don’t get why, on a Gza album (especially one that’s SO SHORT) they give practically a full song to some totally unknown cat….Ka ain’t so bad, gravelly voice and totally grimey Brooklyn street shit but I woulda liked to hear Gza spit more than just a chorus on here…
3/5

12. Path of Destruction
prod by Jay Waxx Garfield

Another good beat, I remember this cat Garfield producing some good shit for Cormega on his first couple albums plus he had a couple OK beats on Legend of the Liquid Sword.
It’s a cool song, with nice little stories being weaved and the movie samples cutting in work great with the theme and everything but again: Gza is lifeless here….
3/5

13. Cinema feat Justice Kareem
prod by Arabian Knight

Arabian Knight’s got the two weakest beats on the album by far…
I don’t mind the Gza whisper style on here (at least he sounds awake) but why the fuck is his son whispering? You can’t even hear what he says…it sounds retarded..
2/5

14. Intermission (Drive In Movie)

15. Life Is a Movie feat Rza and Irfane Khan-Acito(?)
prod by Rza

for those that peep our own Audio Booth section every now and then, this beat sounds familiar...IMO the best beat-maker on the Corp, Lord Beatjitzu, used this exact sample on one of his beat tapes: here's a link (http://www.zshare.net/audio/17525708cc8dff52/) if anyone's interested..
of course, that's not meant as a complaint or anything i just wanted to point it out..
lyrically this joint is fun, they both spit some shit that's best described as entertaining....Gza's just got everything bad happening to him in his first verse:

"the man who hit lotto and lost his ticket
in a rainstorm and struck by lightning trying to get it"

and Rza's got all kinds of SICK darts on this song too, he shines nicely on both of his features...LYRICALLY, of course..cuz Paper Plates ain't the greatest production and even tho this beat is cool, he just insists on throwing in some singing on practically everything he does now (8D and Digi Snacks included)...
hard not to like this song, only annoying part is the singing but it grows on you..
3.5/5

16. Bonus Live Performance-Elastic Audio
(1112 live and then General Principles acapella)

I actually like this alot, cuz 1112 is a crazy song and then it's a privilige to hear such a lyrical emcee spit his verse acapella...
this ain't a taint on THIS particular track at all, but it feels like this is filler---give us more new shit! I'll take this as a bonus, but fuck man this album goes way too quick....
altho, I must admit it's got a cool, Finnegan's Wake-ish ending which leads right back to the beginning so it can be played over and over---he leaves with "Play the music man" and then the cd starts right back over again with the smooth instruments of the Intro..
4/5

Lyrics 4.5/5
Beats 3/5
OVERALL 6.5 outta 10

I subtracted a point for it being so unbelievably short...this is like an EP in it's length..
overall i'm really not too happy with this at all and I'm a huge Gza fan...it's just that he really takes the 'bored and tired' flow to a new level on alotta the tracks on here which becomes hard to listen to and then the tracks that are totally good are just way too short...

(note: I prematurely voted it as "Superior" before even hearing it thoroughly cuz I assumed it was that good and wanted to see what the voting looked like....)

CELL
08-23-2008, 06:43 PM
I have been spinnin' 7 pounds from best buy, to my crib and now through my itunes while I'm doing my homework. Can't get enough of this head banger

famenchuan
08-23-2008, 06:56 PM
nice review silencer. I pretty much agree with the whole review.

Jin10304
08-23-2008, 09:57 PM
I love this beat but I don’t get why, on a Gza album (especially one that’s SO SHORT) they give practically a full song to some totally unknown cat….Ka ain’t so bad, gravelly voice and totally grimey Brooklyn street shit but I woulda liked to hear Gza spit more than just a chorus on here…

Besides his 1st album & Grandmasters GZA usually give up a spot to someone else or be reduced to a chorus feature only.

BIBLE (KP)
Feel Like An Enemy (Sunz Of Man & Trigga)
Outro (La The Darkman & Timbo King)
Rough Cut (Armel & 2 On Da Road-chorus)
ProTools (Firehouse-chorus)

11th Chamber
08-23-2008, 10:58 PM
IMO, Firehouse is one of the best tracks on the album. Love that joint

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-23-2008, 11:07 PM
I know i'm gonna catch some hate and some bullshit for this but I gotta be real with my opinion and I ain't feeling this album that much...and that's weird because i see most of you on here absolutely love it..

the entire package (album cover, tracklisting, music) just seems so lazy and half-assed that it's embarassing as a huge Wu fan, and ESPECIALLY as a huge Gza fan who frequently mentions to ppl that Gza is one of the best ever...

there was a ton of confusion with this album ever since it was first announced last summer as coming out sometime in November (or October?) of 2007...we were never hearing anything about it, never saw a tracklist or album cover but yet it had been officially announced, and then pushed back to December 4th....then we got this (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43745) post from 'G the Promoter':

and the next thing we heard was that it was gonna drop on January 8th...that never happened (http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/06/gza-tours-for-new-album-and-recreates-liquid-sword.html#more)..

it got pushed way back to August.....

i should have also mentioned that at some point during all this, it was announced that this wasn't a Gza solo but it was gonna be a compilation with Gza and some Killa Beez and others...production was gonna be from Rza, Bronze, Preservation, DJ Muggz, Nottz and others and the album had features from Killah Priest, Bronze Nazareth, Mos Def, Sean P......

well, that's not what we got...my assumption is that they decided to cut all that shit and make it a Gza solo at the last minute, to try to avoid the confusion of releasing a Gza album with barely any Gza on it...so in the end what we got is an EP-length album that sounds rushed (and Gza admits (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61845) that it WAS rushed, which is amazing cuz of all the pushbacks), what seems IMO to be like the notorious 'mixtapes' that Dreddy has been known to put out through Think Differently...this project just seems like he threw together a few tracks, filled in the blanks with an intro, couple interludes, and a 'bonus' track and threw a random album title on it...

I won't get into arguments with those who say "I love this, why don't you like it too!?!" but what I do find amazing is that ppl are calling this the best release since Supreme Clientele or No Said Date....Grandmasters is much better than this shit, perhaps that album is underappreciated cuz this comes NOWHERE NEAR it...play this and then throw on GM (or better yet, play GM and then throw this on and you will seriously be amazed)...

album cover: another Nubian Image production, this one about as simple as it can get with a little Gza sign surrounded by an ocean of blue...can't blame Nubian for it being plain, with the album title and lack of a theme to it, they didn't give him much to work with (I spoke on the album title/theme here (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1288884&postcount=39))....altho the back cover is awesome, reminiscent of the famous scene on Liquid Swords' cover, but this time with Shaolin monks flying around slicing shit..

1. Intromental
Prod. by Dreddy Kruger

Nice and simple. Reminds of me of the music throughout the Wu Meets Indie Culture album.

2. Pencil ft Masta Killa and Rza
prod by Mathematics

Pretty good up-tempo beat to start off with. Reminds a lot of the song on 'Legend of the Liquid Swords' wit Ghost and Streetlife… Gza spits a nice one, couple of dope lines and his flow is awake and relatively energetic (especially compared to the other tracks on here). MK only throws a few bars and it’s nothing special but Rza is crazy on here. I like how he starts off with what I see as kind of an intro to his verse, that whole “world, I’m not the same” thing and then just goes in, sounding mad focused and hungry. Makes me wanna check out Digi Snax again. One of the best verses on this whole album from Bobby Steels right there.
4/5

3. Alphabets
prod by True Master

Probably the best track on the album. Gza’s two verses are NICE and he flows perfectly over the smooth True mizza-Master track. Manages to rhyme the entire Supreme Alphabet in the chorus (sounding a little bored while doing so tho).
Only negative about this song is that it’s a little short, may have benefited from one more verse.
Closes out with a crazy line:
“Because hip hop is all in my genes, the pattern is seen in every stitch”
4.5/5

4. Groundbreaking feat Justice Kareem
prod by Bronze Nazareth

I first heard this beat on the ‘Cilvaringz and Rza go to Egypt’ part of the DVD that came with the “I” album…..couldn’t wait to hear the full version..
First Gza verse is nice but at this point in the album it’s like he’s starting to drift off and is heading towards that dreaded half-dead Gza flow that so many fans on here can’t bear to hear….but he’s not quite dead yet on this joint..
Chorus is pretty cool but I don’t like the way they did the second verse….I know it’s the standard back-n-forth type style that Rae and Ghost employed well but it sounds corny here, Gza’s sharp strong voice and then a little kid cutting in for just a couple of lines in total..(in that recently posted interview Gza said they were in a rush so they had to leave it this way even tho he was dissatisfied with how it came out…that is horrible for too many reasons)
And this song is WAY too short, only 2 and half minutes with a chorus repeated twice….come on, Gza
3.5/5

5. 7 Pounds
prod by Black Milk

One of the better songs on the album, close to Alphabets for best on the cd I would say….MAD short again tho

Beat is DOPE, fuckin head banger…I gotta be honest with this one though (and I hope others who notice will be too): even tho the lyrics are perfect and the chorus is cool, Gza’s flow is flat-out weak on here…he sounds bored, like he’s being forced to do this shit….
Mainly, it sounds like he’s sitting in a comfortable chair with a notepad on his lap just lazily reading his verse along without trying to raise his voice too much..
3.5/5

6. 0% Finance
prod by Choco

A familiar beat, cuz he used it two albums ago…on Stay in Line and if you throw that joint on right now and compare it to this one you’ll be amazed at how much more energy he has on the old one..
(also it's funny cuz so many ppl on here complained when Rza put out Can't Stop Me Now cuz MF Doom had used the beat a couple years ago, meanwhile Gza is re-using his OWN beat here...embarassing)
Lyrically this is extremely creative, in that same vein as Queen’s Gambit, Publicity and all those patented Gza tracks where he’s using a whole bunch of names from one theme (in this case, it’s cars)….
I can see why alotta ppl would love this one, and I’m surprised that I don’t but---I don’t love it…
It’s certainly got that extreme lyrical depth that makes you wanna listen to it many times to catch everything but, again, his flow is so lifeless….Go back and throw on Grandmasters (an album which many ppl accused him of sounding sleepy on) and there is really NO tracks where he sounded THIS disinterested….
3/5

7. Short Race feat Rock Marcy
prod by Arabian Knight

Don’t like this one at all really…beat is weak and boring, chorus is kinda simple…Rock Marcy later on has a SICK beat on the album but his verse is nothing great here..
2/5

8. Interlude
i think this was from the studio interview the Clan (most of them, at least) did right before 8 Diagrams dropped...he subtly makes a damn good point on the 'cult following' that Wu has

9. Paper Plate
prod by Rza

Rza’s beat is weak by most standards but I still like this joint…the Voltron Head going straight at 50 Cent, a pretty easy target but not many can come as nice as this….yeah, his flow isn’t that energized but it’s not quite as sleepy as he’s been on some other songs and it actually works good here like he don’t even got get all excited to spit a diss track, the lyrics are just that powerful..

“If you’s a pimp, put chicks on the stroll
and if those ya soldiers, give ‘em bigger guns to hold.
Who shot ya? You don’t have enough on ya rosta
Move like a FED BUT YOU TALK LIKE A MOBSTA”

I love that Gza made this song….cuz somebody from Wu had to do it at some point (and 50 really had some ignorant shit to say about the Genius that time on the radio)
4/5

10. Columbian Ties feat True Master
prod by Bronze Nazareth

Pretty cool Bronze beat, reminds me of Cross My Heart (which is a True Master joint), all bangin drums and hi-hats..
That they misspelled ‘COLOMBIAN’ is retarded but the song is tight, Genius paints a nice picture/story of the scenes of, not necessarily just the country of Colombia, but the general atmosphere of a country dominated by militaristic regimes with street crime goin all outta control….I would say it’s like that in a few places in South America these days…
Only problem is, again, its WAAAY too short....only one extended verse
4/5

11. Firehouse feat Ka
prod by Rock Marcy

3/5

12. Path of Destruction
prod by Jay Waxx Garfield

Another good beat, I remember this cat Garfield producing some good shit for Cormega on his first couple albums plus he had a couple OK beats on Legend of the Liquid Sword.
It’s a cool song, with nice little stories being weaved and the movie samples cutting in work great with the theme and everything but again: Gza is lifeless here….
3/5

13. Cinema feat Justice Kareem
prod by Arabian Knight

Arabian Knight’s got the two weakest beats on the album by far…
I don’t mind the Gza whisper style on here (at least he sounds awake) but why the fuck is his son whispering? You can’t even hear what he says…it sounds retarded..
2/5

14. Intermission (Drive In Movie)

15. Life Is a Movie feat Rza and Irfane Khan-Acito(?)
prod by Rza

for those that peep our own Audio Booth section every now and then, this beat sounds familiar...IMO the best beat-maker on the Corp, Lord Beatjitzu, used this exact sample on one of his beat tapes: here's a link (http://www.zshare.net/audio/17525708cc8dff52/) if anyone's interested..
of course, that's not meant as a complaint or anything i just wanted to point it out..
lyrically this joint is fun, they both spit some shit that's best described as entertaining....Gza's just got everything bad happening to him in his first verse:

"the man who hit lotto and lost his ticket
in a rainstorm and struck by lightning trying to get it"

and Rza's got all kinds of SICK darts on this song too, he shines nicely on both of his features...LYRICALLY, of course..cuz Paper Plates ain't the greatest production and even tho this beat is cool, he just insists on throwing in some singing on practically everything he does now (8D and Digi Snacks included)...
hard not to like this song, only annoying part is the singing but it grows on you..
3.5/5

16. Bonus Live Performance-Elastic Audio
(1112 live and then General Principles acapella)

I actually like this alot, cuz 1112 is a crazy song and then it's a privilige to hear such a lyrical emcee spit his verse acapella...
this ain't a taint on THIS particular track at all, but it feels like this is filler---give us more new shit! I'll take this as a bonus, but fuck man this album goes way too quick....
altho, I must admit it's got a cool, Finnegan's Wake-ish ending which leads right back to the beginning so it can be played over and over---he leaves with "Play the music man" and then the cd starts right back over again with the smooth instruments of the Intro..
4/5

Lyrics 4.5/5
Beats 3/5
OVERALL 6.5 outta 10

I subtracted a point for it being so unbelievably short...this is like an EP in it's length..
overall i'm really not too happy with this at all and I'm a huge Gza fan...it's just that he really takes the 'bored and tired' flow to a new level on alotta the tracks on here which becomes hard to listen to and then the tracks that are totally good are just way too short...

(note: I prematurely voted it as "Superior" before even hearing it thoroughly cuz I assumed it was that good and wanted to see what the voting looked like....)

an interest take on the GZA album

the silencer
08-24-2008, 01:35 AM

Besides his 1st album & Grandmasters GZA usually give up a spot to someone else or be reduced to a chorus feature only.

BIBLE (KP)
Feel Like An Enemy (Sunz Of Man & Trigga)
Outro (La The Darkman & Timbo King)
Rough Cut (Armel & 2 On Da Road-chorus)
ProTools (Firehouse-chorus)

i do realize that yo, but i was making the point in the context of how short the album is....Grandmasters was only a little bit longer album than this but he was rapping on every track besides the introduction..

track is still pretty good tho cuz the beat is great on there and Ka is aight on there...(maybe would've rather seen one of the Beez like Timbo or even Prodigal Sunn on a solo instead)

DR. NICK RIVIERA
08-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Nice review Silencer, I only don't agree with the Cinema rating :)

deadlymelody
08-25-2008, 12:17 AM
I'll post a review soon......on arguably the weakest GZA album.

Hollow Dartz
08-25-2008, 01:06 AM
I've only listened to this joint one time since last week.

DrBold241
08-25-2008, 01:43 AM
ok, let's face it nothing can ever TRUELY compare to LS. atleast for solo albums from the clan, in my opinion. and even if gza continues his career for years to come, that album won't be topped.
with that being said, i think in a light sense Pro Tools is the more modern LS. Firehouse.... i dunno, i don't like Ka's voice that much, aside from that perfect album from start to finish.
his old school energy may not be there, but it hasnt been for awhile so is that really shocking?
not only that, but i see it as a more matured laid back flow. like he knows he's the fuckin genius, even moreso than in the past. so he doesnt need to be all angsty. haha, well not the right word for it but you know what i mean.
and as for my personal favorite track off the album- pencil. RZA destroys it. he doesn't just kill the track, but pretty much blows all his own music from recent years away. (though i do like fury in my eyes)

and as for the consistency argument, i love every ghost album except BDR. i think i listened to it once. that was it. it's flat out garbage. i think 8D can be good, but it's one of those albums you gotta be in the mood for before playing it, like winter overcast skies too. but BDR is just shit. in every aspect of the word. the production is god awful, ghost's flow isn't NEARLY as good as anything else he's done. after both fishscale, more fish, and even the stuff he's done a little before that like the mask with doom, it just makes it a hug disappointment.

but back to pro tools- i cant stop listening to it. i'm an ice cube fan too but refuse to even download it just cause they dropped the same day and i heard some tracks off raw footage... beats blow.
8D < Digi Snax <<<<<< Pro Tools
and after hearing the new shit Deck put up from the REAL resident patient 2, as well as blackout 2 on the way..... this round of "solo"s is gonna be superb.

Gravedigga_nigga
08-25-2008, 07:34 AM
A banger, 7.5-8/10, like some of you have already said, the tracks are too short and he could have come harder on some tracks

But good effort nonetheless

Fright
08-25-2008, 11:22 AM
i agree mostly with everything what The Silencer said about this album, im not feeling it much, it has no energy...idk, GZA is too lazy on this album.i would better listen to the new Nas or The Game album than this one, they have something what Pro Tools dont have, yes GZA lyrically is on point, but thats all.

IrOnMaN
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm loving the reviews. Thanks.

harm77
08-25-2008, 02:44 PM
GZA - Pro Tools

1. Intromental (Unrated)

3. Alphabets (5/5)

5. 7 Pounds (4/5)

6. 0% Finance (4.5/5)

7. Short Race (4/5)

8. Interlude (Unrated)

9. Paper Plates (4.5/5)

Overall

53/65 = 4.1/5

PEACE

life is a movie u gave 3 1/2 /5????? wow u r bugging my friends. thats clearly the best track on the album. lets even do a poll to prove it.

Suga Duga
08-25-2008, 02:51 PM
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"
- Masta Killa

smh, b/c he doesn't like the beats? idiot.

silencer's review is pretty good. I'm not really happy with the 2nd half of the album. Justice Kareem plz quit rapping.

You said the album is so short, silencer. I cannot agree. I rather have a solid 40 minutes than a 25-30 songs album with 5 skits, 3 interludes or those stupid phone calls like that douche cilvaringz used to have on his album.

I wouldn't rate some songs that low, but overall this is a 7/10.

and yes, the flow is not 2008.

-The A to the Z-
08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Consensus:

Coloured people do not like Pro Tools.

As in people with coloured-font usernames...the Mods etc.

Ritter
08-25-2008, 05:26 PM
life is a movie u gave 3 1/2 /5????? wow u r bugging my friends. thats clearly the best track on the album. lets even do a poll to prove it.

To each his own. I'm feeling Life Is A Movie, but clearly you have Alphabets that is unfukwitable. One of the best tracks this year.

RynMur
08-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Pro Tools is one of the top 5 albums of 2008.
It has around 8 standout tracks and you can play it from beginning to end (no skips).
The only downside I found to the album was the tracks are a lil' short and his flow isn't agressive as it was on LS. However, his 43 year old flow fits the maturity & theme of the album. And what's with all the hate towards Justice? He really didn't even get the chance to spit.

Top 5: Alphabets, 0% Finance, Paper Plate, Path Of Destruction, Life Is A Movie
Grade: (4.5/5) A

Jin10304
08-28-2008, 09:20 PM
The only downside I found to the album was the tracks are a lil' short and his flow isn't agressive as it was on LS. However, his 43 year old flow fits the maturity & theme of the album.

Well when he was younger he was 29 during Liquid Swords so OF COURSE he isnt going to be agressive as he was. Thats like asking a 13 year old to be as energetic as he was when he was 6

Hollow Dartz
08-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm with the silencer on this one.

Longbongcilvaringz
08-30-2008, 03:22 AM
People constantly dragging out that MK line are infinitely corny.

I don't see how the album is short either.

Jin10304
08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Definitely short.

Words From The Genius (1 Hr 1 Min 16 tracks) No skits
Liquid Swords (55 Min 12 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track) No skits
Beneath The Surface minus skits/intro (42 Min 11 GZA tracks 2 Non-GZA tracks)
LOTLS minus intro (50 Min 13 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track)
Grandmasters minus Opening (42 Min 11 GZA tracks)
Pro Tools minus intro/skits OR Elastic Audio (38 Min 11 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track)

I didnt count Elastic Audio since its a cheap bonus track of previously heard material, it is the shortest GZA LP out his catalogue, maybe some felt it was also short because of his 1 verse on Colombian Ties, the only songs hitting a 4 + min mark were Pencil, Short Race & 0% (which some dislike because of GZA's spoken word type rap so its gruesome to listen all the way through), dedicating yet another song to an unknown rapper with GZA on the hook, and most songs being 2:30 +.

WFTG (most songs hit 3:30 to 5 min)
LS (same as above)
BTS (3 min to 4)
LOTLS (majority of 4 minuts down to 3:30 or 3min)
GM (3:30 & above)

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Definitely short.

Words From The Genius (1 Hr 1 Min 16 tracks) No skits
Liquid Swords (55 Min 12 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track) No skits
Beneath The Surface minus skits/intro (42 Min 11 GZA tracks 2 Non-GZA tracks)
LOTLS minus intro (50 Min 13 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track)
Grandmasters minus Opening (42 Min 11 GZA tracks)
Pro Tools minus intro/skits OR Elastic Audio (38 Min 11 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track)

I didnt count Elastic Audio since its a cheap bonus track of previously heard material, it is the shortest GZA LP out his catalogue, maybe some felt it was also short because of his 1 verse on Colombian Ties, the only songs hitting a 4 + min mark were Pencil, Short Race & 0% (which some dislike because of GZA's spoken word type rap so its gruesome to listen all the way through), dedicating yet another song to an unknown rapper with GZA on the hook, and most songs being 2:30 +.

WFTG (most songs hit 3:30 to 5 min)
LS (same as above)
BTS (3 min to 4)
LOTLS (majority of 4 minuts down to 3:30 or 3min)
GM (3:30 & above)

wait, wait let me get this straight your judging the album via it's length wow that's just fickle right there man. this album is good even with it's flaws you should be happy to have another GZA album not be some internet nerd who dislikes something for some superficial reason. man listen with an open mind not with a closed one or you'll always be dissappointed.

Jin10304
08-31-2008, 09:36 PM
wait, wait let me get this straight your judging the album via it's length wow that's just fickle right there man. this album is good even with it's flaws you should be happy to have another GZA album not be some internet nerd who dislikes something for some superficial reason. man listen with an open mind not with a closed one or you'll always be dissappointed.

LOL I never said I didnt like the album, read what Pat Bateman wrote. I was just pointing out how the album is indeed shorter than GZA's previous releases. Think before you even judge me dog because not once did I drop my own opinion on the album in my previous post

chiba
09-04-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm with the silencer on this one.

:learning:

yep...me 2

:beer:

claaa7
09-04-2008, 04:32 PM

nah man "Beneath The Surface" is iller it's just that album is so crazy underrated even on a Wu-Tang forum. when that shit got released people just bunched it together with the rest of the sub-par releases of that era and then forgot about it.. BTS is incredible, GZA at the top of his game with some great production.. GZA ain't at the top of his game anymore but he's still nice and the beats is good. this is a banger though - 8/10 for me.

Maccabee Ridah
09-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Shyt, every time I listen to this album, I like it more and more! I voted superior, but after sooo many listenin, I would change my vote to classic easily! My abs fav tracks - Paper Plate, Alphabets & Pencil (no particular order)!!!

For me, best wu release in a long time!!!

P.E.A.C.E.

check two
09-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I'll have to read the rest of this thread later. Just wanted to say that more of the songs should have been over 3 minutes long. Some of my favorites from the album are Groundbreaking, Paper Plate, Path of Destruction, and Cinema. He should have tried to find a way to liven up 0% Finance, cause after a while you can start zoning out during that song. Where was that sample/hook from in Life is a Movie? Was that Dudley Moore from the movie Arthur? lol

bad boy T
09-08-2008, 03:35 AM
can't wait to get this

Illmatic Hispanic
09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
damn, I was just listening to wu forever and damn, Rza should of gave gza "As High As wu tang gets" beat for the 50 diss, Gza's lyrics would of sounded way better with that beat, Paper plate's beat is a little out there, hardly ever could bump that shit loud.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
12 Jewelz are almost like Paper Plate, so I like it for the same reason - simplicity.

Hollow Dartz
09-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Whoever said this was better than Beneath The Surface needs to get off the crack...

Illmatic Hispanic
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
It's pretty good, Gza brings it on here but damn BTS is way better, It had consistent good beats and most of the clan was in it. Rza dissapointed me with his beats on protools.

MsRzaRecTaH
09-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Pencillllllllllllllllllllllllll Is My Ish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Illmatic Hispanic
09-10-2008, 12:50 PM
^ Co-sign

7 Pounds is ill, It kinda sounds like liquid Swords when the beat changes.

Kong
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm just listening to this for the first time now. Shits ILLLLLL.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-19-2008, 04:05 AM
I still think this is fucking great.

One of the few Hip Hop releases that ive liked this year.

GZA never disappoints (me at least).

I think its better than GM, which i liked also.

Not sure about how id compare it with his other albums, but its not far below BTS and LOTLS in my opinion.

bad boy T
09-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Paper plates iz a nice diss

Hollow Dartz
09-19-2008, 11:06 PM
I never got this one, due to exams coming up....

1. IntroMental

2.Pencil
Ok Gza is back with some new shit, he sounds nice and fresh unlike his last effort Grandmaster. He still has it in the lyrics department and it shows on this track. Guest spots include Masta Killa and Rza. Masta Killa comes in nice and smooth, we haven't heard from him in awhile nice verse though, Rza comes in on here and i must admit i'm nervous after hearing some of the stuff he was spitting on Digi Snax, but he does cool on here. His flow at first is kind of shakey but he comes through on this one... 3.5/5

3.Alphabets
This is a nice beat by True Master he came through on here, great to hear something from him again. Gza just delivers on this one straight up, He spitting ill shit on here, everything is on point about this joint, then he spits the supreme alphabet on here (I know people on here swear they know it but they don't). This is some good shit right here. 4.5/5

4.Groundbreaking (Feat. Justice Kareem)
This is another nice beat right here, Gza is sharp as usual but the guest spot on this one is none other than Gza's son Kareem Justice, he did good on his part, though I think he still needs practice, he sounds like he's mumbling on the mic. Overall this is solid. 4/5

5.7 Pounds
Another great one by Gza he just keeps bringing the heat as we go in the album. Beat is nice as hell, I wonder if people can keep up with his dartz on this one. Another solid track. 4/5

6.0% Finance
This track has the same beat from his "Legend Of The Liquid Sword" album on a track called "Stay In Line" which is a way better track I much say. On this one Gza keeps it going with his usual shit by rapping about a specific subject, now this time it's cars. This one right here is boring, he sounds dry and the story just lags, you're just waiting for this one to end, another thing is they could did better with the beat adjustment. 3/5

7.Short Race (Feat. Rock Marcy)
A nice story told by Gza on here, he sounds kind of dry on this one I must say, but he still comes through. Rock Marcy comes through on the hook and he spits some dartz of his own keeping you in-intuned on this one because Gza wasn't. 4/5

8.Interlude

9.Paper Plates
I must say this i one of the driest Rza beats I've ever heard, this just has no energy in it, I can't believe he made this shit. The lyrics are there, Gza is kinda lacking the energy on here. (This is a 50 Cent Diss for all you dumbasses). I think this would've been way better with a more uptempo beat. I know Gza ain't really put no effort into this one but c'mon.These lyrics are too sharp to be wasted on this joint. 3.5/5

10.Colombian Ties (Feat. True Master)
This is a nice one right here to keep the album going strong. True master on the hook and gza spitting his detective style trap as usual. This is a solid one. 4/5

11.Firehouse (Feat. Ka)
This one is ok, Ka is nice on the mic, he has potential on here, Gza has little input on this one, nothing much I can really say. 3.5/5

12.Path of Destruction
Another great beat, but Gza is dry on here too. I can really get into the story on this one, and this one is kind of short aswell. I think this had more potential. 3.5/5

13.Cinema (Feat. Justice Kareem)
What The Fuck is this shit? Gza spitting his dectective raps again, but this time he's trying to whisper on this one, it's not good and the hook....LOL this one was a total miss,I Barely know what the kid is saying on here. Wack!. 1/5

14.Intermission

15.Life is a Movie (Feat. Rza & Irfran khan)
This is another OK joint, Rza wack opening line, Gza comes through on this one nice, Beat is on point. It's OK. 3.5/5

16.Elastic Audio
Same thing as 1112, but Gza is dry...won't rate.

Beats - 3.5/5
Lyrics - 4/5
Overall - 3.5/5

This one is almost solid but it's just missing something. It's also pretty short. Gza came better this time than on his last effort I must say, Kareem Justice is ok on here, he still needs work. Beats were pretty good and Gza shows he still can bring it at his age, I feel there is something missing though. ****Overall 3.5/5****

Longbongcilvaringz
09-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Pitchfork is ridiculous:

“doesn’t really sound like the kind of album you’d call on to fill anyone’s late-summer barbeque party soundtracking duties.”

wutanghk
09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
i do like the album each time i listen to it,GZA 's really good at
using his voice & lyrics. i suggest they should have include a lyrics booklet
with the CD^^
Wu Tang Clan be Good!

Deadly Wisdom
10-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Definatly a dope az album for this day an age that is if you like raw hip-hop 4/5 I think there's some interesting beats on this album for eg; 0% Finance it's got a gd guitar riff not really into that shit but it worked for me, But like alot of you guys have already mentioned Gza's voice is abit out of line keeping it slow, simple an plain on most of he's tracks he should of put a bit more emotion/passion in hes voice... Or hey maybe it's just me but he's voice is sounding a bit old i'm not saying its a bad thing but maybe hes just naturally spittin like that cause of hes age idk..

10-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Love the album to death, but hate the editing of the "n" and "f" words in some tracks, shit is annoying, like an Parental Advisory sticker is something bad.

PEACE

-The A to the Z-
12-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Wooooooo I've listened to Pro Tools now wooooooooo.

And I quite like it, too.

the insignificant
12-06-2008, 09:54 PM
a lot talk regarding his flow... gza has been understating everything (the prime example being most of the beats on legend) in his last few albums to showcase his lyrics more... it doesn't cater to all tastes but at least he can legititately say he's doing something genuinely different to the majority...

money well spent for me... to be honest i only really look out for gza, masta killa and rza solos now... overall i think 4/5 is fair review...

one minor thing... i don't really see the purpose of artists who aren't producers using beats as intros or interludes without any real vocals... i saw of couple of guys here say it sets the tone or whatever but i'd just rather hear the first track... this was an intro for the sake of having an intro (or maybe part of the scramble to clock the album over the 40 minute mark... i realise this complaint seems petty but this is gza... he doesn't need musical interludes on his albums...

NaturalBornKilla
08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
best rap album to come out in a long fuckin time

Holocaust
09-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Rock Marcy rips the shit outta shortrce

claaa7
09-16-2009, 05:22 AM
^^ word, Rock Marcy is a really dope MC - love his work.. listening to the album now for the first time in a long time, good beat selection for the most part in true Wu fashion. GZA does sound a little sleepy from time to time which, together with a few songs that doesn't appeal to me ("Paper Plate", "0 Finance", "Cinema"), drags the rating down. Still between a 3/5 and 3.5/5 album

Holocaust
09-17-2009, 08:51 PM
not better than liquid swords but better than digi snacks

tigermilk
09-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I think it's his best album since Liquid Swords. Some real classic Wu bangers on here!