PDA

View Full Version : Friedrich Nietzsche Quote

Fatal Guillotine
08-14-2008, 06:06 PM
there is a certain quote of his that i'd like to discuss

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold a higher esteem to those who think alike than those who think differently"

now i haven't read any of his works before but this quote is too accurate; you don't have to go too far, even on this forum, to see it being applied.

what are your thoughts?

Fatal Guillotine
08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
in my own point of view he was trying to show others how to escape Nihilism, which he believed plagued mankind

STYLE
08-14-2008, 07:10 PM
thats what i dislike the most about your generation. they don't want to be different.
not saying that that is exclusive to yours but it seems to be general rule.

on this forum there are a couple ringleaders that encourage the sheeple behavior and out of fear of ridicule, the rest fall in line.

this is only a microcosm to the world at large.

diggy
08-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Most people are irresponsible, dumb, cowards, hypocrites, and liars.
It's easy to go along with the crowd when the brain does not work well.

Fatal Guillotine
08-15-2008, 03:13 PM
as we all know Ignorance is the condition of being uninformed or uneducated, lacking knowledge or information. it comes from the blind leading the blind. I connect what goes on in the real world and people actions to what goes on this site. that just me. but ignorance only understands ignorance.

TSA
08-17-2008, 10:58 AM
thats what i dislike the most about your generation. they don't want to be different.

on this forum there are a couple ringleaders that encourage the sheeple behavior and out of fear of ridicule, the rest fall in line.

will you shut the fuck up about our generation, god damn.
YOU GENERATION PIONEERED CRACK COCAINE, mine pioneered myspace
i think one is more retarded then the other.
how many ppl his age do you know personally to confirm that its the same person when you talk to each of them, like humanity can really change that much in 10 years?

STYLE
08-17-2008, 04:05 PM
pioneered myspace?
uhhh dumbass... tom is almost 40.

napster
soundclick
facebook
iphone

my generation

soulja boy
lil wayne

ur generation

see what i mean. your generation takes credit for shit they had nothing to do with. yall USE myspace you didn't develop it. i guess you take credit for Dark Knight since you watched it right?

faggots sure are uptight when it comes to generational discussion.

STYLE
08-17-2008, 04:08 PM
when a deliberate effort is made to dumb down the population A LOT can change in 10 yrs. yall went from head start to no child left behind.

bigbird>barney>spongebob

Tecknowledgist
08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
pioneered myspace?
uhhh dumbass... tom is almost 40.

see what i mean. your generation takes credit for shit they had nothing to do with. yall USE myspace you didn't develop it. i guess you take credit for Dark Knight since you watched it right?

faggots sure are uptight when it comes to generational discussion.

spongebob

stephen hillenburg is almost 50

Fatal Guillotine
02-19-2011, 01:05 PM
up

praise the almitey W
02-23-2011, 07:53 PM
only Lil B is different BASEDGOD

Clan Destine
02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Nietzsche's got jewels to spare.

I don't think this quote is about nihilism per se. Just about true individualism, or simply an off hand observation. Likely a person who thinks differently will be less fulfilled because they cannot go along with tropes of 'meaning' that society offers. It is a step towards nihilism, because it is a step towards truth.

Also

Generational games are stupid, one generation bleeds into the next, one generation creates another generation. There's no real difference. Whether you are ashamed or proud of your generation, its still a product of another generation, which was a product of an earlier generation etc. so either take no responsibility or share it with all humanity.

I'm more worried about what I represent rather than some nebulous grouping of people called a 'generation'. Yeah, I think my cohort is mostly fucking retarded, probably slightly more retarded than my parents generation, and the kids coming up even more so, but I take pride of things in relation to, not equal to my generation.

Anyways, almost all cohesive societies promote groupthink one way or another.

Gitche Manito
03-25-2011, 02:43 PM

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold a higher esteem to those who think alike than those who think differently"

now i haven't read any of his works before but this quote is too accurate; you don't have to go too far, even on this forum, to see it being applied.

what are your thoughts?

I don't know about the quote being about nihilism, like someone else said, but you make a very good point when you say that Nietzsche was completely against nihilism and all his work was aimed at destroying it rather than at lauding it like many people think.

BornPower
03-30-2011, 02:17 PM

what are your thoughts?

like you said, it is too easy to see this in application in everyday life. One only has to look, listen and observe it in effect. My issue with this statement is what happens when you have an individual that esteems those that think differently more than those that share one's opinion?
Self-loathing is just as bad as self-righteousness isn't it?

Most people are irresponsible, dumb, cowards, hypocrites, and liars.
It's easy to go along with the crowd when the brain does not work well.

^co-sign. it's one thing to have the latest bleeding edge hardware but if you don't know how to use a simple program like calculator or notepad, what good is it?

as we all know Ignorance is the condition of being uninformed or uneducated, lacking knowledge or information. it comes from the blind leading the blind. I connect what goes on in the real world and people actions to what goes on this site. that just me. but ignorance only understands ignorance.

you describe True Ignorance, there are many that fight to defend their ignorance without even realizing it. I contend that even ignorance has no knowledge of itself or it's depths much less the the truth's surface....

Robert
04-02-2011, 09:52 AM
It's not necessarily what your conclusions are, it's how you arrive at those conclusions that is important.

BornPower
04-02-2011, 01:18 PM
It's not necessarily what your conclusions are, it's how you arrive at those conclusions that is important.

so it's not the destination but the path taken that matters? What if you get your conclusions by studying in Tibet for seven years with monks....if i reach the same conclusions by smokin a fat one with a cipher of gods is my knowledge any less real or applicable?

Robert
04-02-2011, 03:43 PM
so it's not the destination but the path taken that matters? What if you get your conclusions by studying in Tibet for seven years with monks....if i reach the same conclusions by smokin a fat one with a cipher of gods is my knowledge any less real or applicable?

If you assume the conclusions you reach are the truth, you are probably missing the point.

JASPER BEARDLY
04-04-2011, 03:48 AM

Very true. Being different is often considered weird. The sheep mentality is strong among my idiotic peers yet thankfully there is a fair portion of ppl who think for themselves still. Like 25%

BornPower
04-09-2011, 12:44 AM
If you assume the conclusions you reach are the truth, you are probably missing the point.

there you again dancing around the issue. please answer the question.

Originally Posted by .5KutSkeleton

Fatal Guillotine
05-11-2011, 10:04 AM
bump

Fatal Guillotine
11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
will you shut the fuck up about our generation, god damn.
YOU GENERATION PIONEERED CRACK COCAINE, mine pioneered myspace
i think one is more retarded then the other.
how many ppl his age do you know personally to confirm that its the same person when you talk to each of them, like humanity can really change that much in 10 years?

smh /(

Fatal Guillotine
01-25-2012, 06:21 PM
wake

ShaDynasty
01-28-2012, 07:16 AM
"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh"

"A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy"

the first one is very important

THE MASON
01-28-2012, 10:08 AM
i disagree with Robert, in the end all that matters is the conclusion not how you get there.

two people may travel different paths and arrive at the same destination. regardlessof what happens on that route, or the route taken itself is irrelevant as long as the goal/destination is reached.

methodology in matters is a minute detail and only serves the individual at that moment to help guide that one person. it may lay a path for others to follow but no trail is evenly laid

rakimkoolgrapwutang
05-02-2012, 03:07 PM
i love nietzsche from the 2 books ive read from him. thus spoke zarathustra and beyond good and evil

Drunken Monk
05-03-2012, 04:57 AM
*After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands*

infinite vagina
05-03-2012, 04:59 AM
only Lil B is different BASEDGOD
This.

"#Based is all about being yourself and not caring what anybody else thinks. If you followed Lil B The BasedGod on twitter you'd know he's actually a very deep person who constantly talks about being yourself and staying positive. People like myself know what he's doing. He could have easily follow the other thousands of rappers that try to sound like lil Wayne but he didn't."

Fatal Guillotine
06-11-2012, 04:46 PM
^smh